• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

Tyaren

The in-game bits of the presentation seemed to run on console specs though most of the time instead of a super computer (low LOD, flat lighting etc...). So, at least they were honest...

Damsung

Banned
I'll need to play the final version, but Duscae demo looked a good bit better to me than MGSV, which isn't surprising as it was running at 900p and 60fps

FFXV has been downgraded heavily since Duscae and MGSV was 1080p.

I would sincerely do a double take on what those models looked like, they're not very high poly:

this is Luna's model:

while post downgrade visuals put MGSV on the map in terms of comparison, FFXV is still ahead. Not just with models either.

I don't even know what you're looking at to say FFXV's models are better, polygons do not equate to quality.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't even know what you're looking at to say FFXV's models are better, polygons do not equate to quality.
In the context of human characters, a higher poly model will in the context of a triple A video usually look a lot better than a lower poly model. Unless there's some unwritten metric that says otherwise. For instance, look at the hands, neck, and shoulders of Quiet and Paz, and compare them to a FFXV model, really big difference. MGSV's assets were designed with 360 and ps3 in mind. The hair as well, is way higher quality in FFXV.

KupoNut

In the context of human characters, a higher poly model will in the context of a triple A video usually look a lot better than a lower poly model. Unless there's some unwritten metric that says otherwise. For instance, look at the hands, neck, and shoulders of Quiet and Paz, and compare them to a FFXV model, really big difference. MGSV's assets were designed with 360 and ps3 in mind. The hair as well, is way higher quality in FFXV.

But good lighting is equally important, maybe those FFXV character models could do with less polygons and still look the same as they do now.

Damsung

Banned

It's a matter of dimishining returns if we're looking at the faces. The only reason FFXV's models are higher poly are because of fingers and the hair. Otherwise they're average and frankly poorly designed!

Crossing Eden

But good lighting is equally important, maybe those FFXV character models could do with less polygons and still look the same as they do now.
But FFXV has more complex lighting than MGSV...

It's a matter of dimishining returns if we're looking at the faces. The only reason FFXV's models are higher poly are because of fingers and the hair. Otherwise they're average and frankly poorly designed!
Not really, FFXV faces could look more realistic but they have to adhere to Nomura same face syndrome instead of say scanning in and creating digital doubles of the actors.What does it say about MGSV's models if FFXV, a game with better looking character models, are average?

Damsung

Banned
But FFXV has more complex lighting than MGSV...

Not really, FFXV faces could look more realistic but they have to adhere to Nomura same face syndrome instead of say scanning in and creating digital doubles of the actors.What does it say about MGSV's models if FFXV, a game with better looking character models, are average?

I just don't agree with that. Not only do MGSV's look more realistic but they have more detail on them with better shading. I haven't seen a single impressive face in FFXV.

And to your other reply, does it really have more complex lighting? Because it doesn't look like it and the console version isn't using the GI they boasted about years ago.

Mailbox

Luna really was molded out of the ashes of stella :p

Cqx3E1yVUAAAthf.jpg

Crossing Eden

I just don't agree with that. Not only do MGSV's look more realistic but they have more detail on them with better shading. I haven't seen a single impressive face in FFXV.

And to your other reply, does it really have more complex lighting? Because it doesn't look like it and the console version isn't using the GI they boasted about years ago.
That's the thing is no they don't. The SSS solution, hair rendering, poly count, etc. in FFXV is a lot higher quality than MGSV, I would recommend checking out the PC screenshot thread, a lot of MGSV, it does not hold up compared directly to next gen only games. And yes, it has more intensive lighting data.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Luna really was molded out of the ashes of stella :p

I thought we all knew they used the same base model? it saved time to repurpose the character design, even if they are not the same character.

People actually thought Luna was Stella before Tabata officially confirmed that Stella was no longer in the game.

Damsung

Banned
That's the thing is no they don't. The SSS solution, hair rendering, poly count, etc. in FFXV is a lot higher quality than MGSV, I would recommend checking out the PC screenshot thread, a lot of MGSV, it does not hold up compared directly to next gen only games. And yes, it has more intensive lighting data.

I don't even see the SSS in FFXV and I can't imagine where you're getting the idea there is more intensive lighting. Poly count means little in this era when it comes to models. There are last-gen games with better looking models than FFXV and MGSV both.

Top Bottom