• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa Switch will be reportedly based off the PS3/360 versions

mackattk

Everyone saying DOA but preorders sold out. Lol

CEWKlMN.jpg

Wii U's were "sold out" as well.

Yeah pc can only run unreal wit "all" the bells and whistles but you should see the point. This is ea cheaping out which is cool just dont expect games from them. Because fans are looking to buy cheap ports just to say we supported them.

Is Nintendo being cheap too because 90% of their software lineup is basically nothing but ports of Wii U games?

I think starting from the 360 verison makes sense here and the list of customization for the Switch seem obvious.

Stripped down port of the Frostbite version would probably be a bad idea. Odds are it would have a 30fps cap like all last gen frostbite games and got knows what else would be cut.

At least with the 360 base they have a solid 60fps, feature rich version of the game that can be built upon instead of stripped down until it ran OK.

Weren't the Vita FIFA games based on FIFA 11 from the PS360?

If so, lol. I wonder if EA will drag out reskinned games every year for 4 years like they did on that console.

Eila

Welp. I played the demo on an xbox 360 stand the other day and it feels so crap. I think the Fifa Wii U game that I think is based on the 2013 version is better.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My semi-educated guess: Not enough dev time to port all the new FIFA 17-specific Frostbite features this year while also doing FIFA 18 so they opted to port non-Frostbite FIFA which had an engine that could run on similar specs with the features FIFA needed. In service of having a FIFA title on the system this year in time for the summer season.

FIFA Frostbite was in development specifically for "Gen 4" for several years before FIFA 17 materialized.

That is, if FIFA Switch is based on 360-era FIFA.

there is about 8-10 million hardcore nintendo fans that will buy whatever nintendo puts out so of course it is going to sell out initially after the nes fiasco. this is going to sell somewhere between 3ds and wiiu ltd sales and that is technically a failure in the long run

Anywhere north of like 25m units and Nintendo isn't going to consider that a failure

Xando

than Nintendo should have subsidised porting it. Anything to get the western third parties on board.

No Frostbite means no EA modern support at all. Beyond pathetic.
Not disagreeing with you but the prices for the switch show how out of touch Nintendo is with reality. They probably think they can get away with it

Dre3001

This is a troubling sign for the Switch. I know that most people on this site don't care for EA sports but you have to wonder if other third parties will follow a similar path in reference to porting games over moving forward.

I don't know if the Switch is that underpowered in comparison to PS4 and Xbox one, but this makes me wonder if after the first year will most 3rd parties even bother porting over there games if they have to downgrade them significantly to run on the Switch.

kIdMuScLe

Can't believe that EA is still petty about Nintendo and the online plans from the Wii U days... no console manufacturer is gonna give you a huge cut of theeir online service fee... fucking EA

Maybe a great looking/smooth running X360 port, it's better than a severely downgraded Xbox One port....

Could this be the case?

I don't care about FIFA but this is absurd. Completely fucking absurd.
To think that someone from EA flew to Japan to attend that shitty conference in order to announce such a joke is mind boggling.

As a Nintendo fan who wants their platforms to do well I should be upset I guess but at this point I don't have the energy and I just find this shit funny. They are sailing right into the iceberg with a proud smile on their face.

Kinyou

This is a troubling sign for the Switch. I know that most people on this site don't care for EA sports but you have to wonder if other third parties will follow a similar path in reference to porting games over moving forward.

I don't know if the Switch is that underpowered in comparison to PS4 and Xbox one, but this makes me wonder if after the first year will most 3rd parties even bother porting over there games if they have to downgrade them significantly to run on the Switch.
That's the worry I have. I don't see third party devs bothering to make port versions if they have to make severe downgrades.

Kimawolf

damn as if we hadn't learned by now to not listen to "insiders" who hear things after last night.

oh well i suppose if if fits your narrative, why not make a thread to get a few laughs from the usual suspects.

DavidDesu

I really want the Switch to succeed, I genuinely really do. I have the Wii U and really liked the system, but it was quickly delegated to the system to play first party Nintendo games on.

EA just isn't even trying anymore with the Nintendo brand, it is pretty disappointing. Other publishers will look at EA and might even follow their lead. If I understand correctly, EA not porting the Frostbite engine over basically means any future EA titles will be nonexistent on the Switch.

And if the biggest third party publisher isn't on board then why on Earth would anyone else. This thing is designed to sell to the same market the WiiU did, so lifetime 10 million sales and massively underpowered hardware makes a poor proposition to anyone thinking of porting their games across. And the self fulfilling prophecy kicks into gear on day one and we have a Nintendo exclusives console only.

It's sad Nintendo keeps making the same mistakes. Maybe they only want to sell 10/20 million consoles max and crawl further and further up their own ass, but it doesn't seem like particularly wise move as far as basic business strategy goes.

Those saying Nintendo consoles shouldn't be expecting third parties really must hate Nintendo, whether they realise it or not. I like the idea of playing FIFA in bed. The latest FIFA. Or Battlefront... a console that could run those games well AND of course play the latest Zelda/Mario would be a no brainier for many. Instead of sales in the 10/20 million preaching to the choir bracket they could seriously be looking at a console selling PS4 kind of numbers. All that means more exposure for Nintendo, more money to fund more, better, bigger Nintendo games and basically would be positive all round.

As it stands Nintendo STILL think they don't need third parties and don't need to make a console with a wide appeal but are convinced that their own shit is so good that people will just abandon logic and reason and flock to their overpriced underpowered compromised console. Nope.

Who the hell will buy this?? It's almost the end of the season by the time this launches, anyone who wants FIFA 17 already has them on PS or Xbox (including 3 and 360) and it's based on the 360 ports.

I don't know why EA bothered and Nintendo approved.

Might as well wait until FIFA 18 and have EA port Mass Effect Andromeda instead (if it can handle it).

This just needs to not be allowed.

Is there no way of harassing someone or starting some campaign on the Internet to stop shit like this?

There's no way the Switch couldn't run a modern engine based on modern architectures; why let this happen again?

Third parties are going to release crappy gimped versions of games and put out "test games" that are super side stories and spinoffs with minimal effort and features.

Those versions are going to come out late, be released at full price and sell poorly.

Then, third parties will not release anything and they'll say "see, we tried but Nintendo just doesn't have the right audience for this type of game"

And the cycle will perpetuate itself. No Legacy editions, no PS3/360/mobile ports. Fuck that shit.

Who the hell will buy this?? It's almost the end of the season by the time this launches, anyone who wants FIFA 17 already has them on PS or Xbox (including 3 and 360) and it's based on the 360 ports.

I don't know why EA bothered and Nintendo approved.

Might as well wait until FIFA 18 and have EA port Mass Effect Andromeda instead (if it can handle it).

No problem: they will release Fifa 18 as legacy edition with a roster update in September... LOL

M.D

Did you miss all WiiU news ? Or just ea news about WiiU

They aren't, EA did the same thing with Wii U. Remember that the Wii U ME3 version released the same time as the Triology released on other platforms.

I remember rumors about disagreements between EA and Nintendo over the Wii U's online service, but I don't remember the specific.

EA and Nintendo potentially having a feud doesn't explain why most third party games don't come out on Nintendo's consoles, though.
The reality is that these companies are looking at the potential audience for their products on a Nintendo console and they don't see return on investment.

You think it's ridiculous for EA to base the Switch version on last-gen? Sure, that may be the case, but logic tells me it has more to do with the fact that the newer versions of FIFA are using the Frostbite engine, and EA as a company doesn't see a reason to make that engine work on the Switch at the moment because they have no other games planned for it as of right now.

EA Sports games use most of the available CPU for gameplay (AI, collision physics). Even if the graphics were scaled back, switch wouldn't be able to run the PS4 game logic without heavy optimization.

Case in point: the first version of madden for PS4/xb1 LOOKED identical to the 360/PS3 versions but played way better because the defensive AI could do more computation on what the right moves to make were. Dig up some old press row podcast episodes from that time period to hear the discussion on that.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
I don't care about FIFA but this is absurd. Completely fucking absurd.
To think that someone from EA flew to Japan to attend that shitty conference in order to announce such a joke is mind boggling.

As a Nintendo fan who wants their platforms to do well I should be upset I guess but at this point I don't have the energy and I just find this shit funny. They are sailing right into the iceberg with a proud smile on their face.

No you are wrong. He flew over to announce the name of his child.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nobody should have expected anything different. It's EA.

antonz

I remember rumors about disagreements between EA and Nintendo over the Wii U's online service, but I don't remember the specific.

EA and Nintendo potentially having a feud doesn't explain why most third party games don't come out on Nintendo's consoles, though.
The reality is that these companies are looking at the potential audience for their products on a Nintendo console and they don't see return on investment.

You think it's ridiculous for EA to base the Switch version on last-gen? Sure, that may be the case, but logic tells me it has more to do with the fact that the newer versions of FIFA are using the Frostbite engine, and EA as a company doesn't see a reason to make that engine work on the Switch at the moment because they have no other games planned for it as of right now.
Ding Ding Ding. Switch Can Handle Frostbite well enough. There is simply no reason to bother when you are not looking at other titles.

To me this is most likely not a "Switch can't handle Frostbite" situation. It's way more likely that EA just doesn't want to put in the investment to make Frostbite work on Switch.

I just realized they didn't name it Fifa 17 or Fifa 18....

They named Fifa for Nintendo Switch (coming in 2017)

That alone tells you everything you need to know:

PS3/X360 port coming...

Madao

on top of being underpowered, a handheld is something western publishers have never taken seriously even when being made by Sony (see PSP and Vita failures in the west).

the Switch will live and die on Nintendo's software only.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nintendo wont be able to hold all the Ls at this point.

State of the art industry leading chips my ass.

Top Bottom