• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

My two year old got some Marvel plushies; Thor, Captain America, Spiderman, Iron Man and the Hulk. I started thinking about team compositions & assists. I feel so Dahbomb,

JeTmAn81

My two year old got some Marvel plushies; Thor, Captain America, Spiderman, Iron Man and the Hulk. I started thinking about team compositions & assists. I feel so Dahbomb,

My 4 month old got a Batman onesie for Christmas. Does this mean she will be stuck with NRS fighters forever?

Mr. X

Eagle plays nothing like Dudley or anyone else in SF. Collared shirts and suspenders hardly makes them similar.

hitsugi

yup. all the characters we hardcores take for granted, the casual audience love. That's why SF3 did so poorly and lost a majority of them plus the burnout from the million of updates to SF2

Not to mention SF3 still had a few characters trickle in (Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Chun) from the old series. Originally, I believe the game plan was to scrap everyone entirely, Ken and Ryu included, hence the "New Generation" title.

Sayah

Good character design gets good praise.

Shit character design gets rightfully shitted on.

The whole lucky chloe situation was actually free publicity for Tekken 7. lol.

Literally every gaming site had an article on it with a good chunk of people now set on buying Tekken just to support this character, hahahaha.

alstein

yup. all the characters we hardcores take for granted, the casual audience love. That's why SF3 did so poorly and lost a majority of them plus the burnout from the million of updates to SF2

that's a very good point. That's why I am annoyed with the sudden supporters of Karin.

SF3 did poorly in the arcades as well from my experience with the veteran crew. It was a combo of lack of favorite characters, projectile game being made totally crap (people hated parry), and NG was truly kusoge (people developed Ibuki triple OS tech into infinites here)

Dahbomb

The whole lucky chloe situation was actually free publicity for Tekken 7. lol.

Literally every gaming site had an article on it with a good chunk of people now set on buying Tekken just to support this character, hahahaha.
Reminds me of the situation with DmC where people were set to support the Dante re-design due to the backlash and media coverage of white/black hair. Yeah that turned out real good for that game...

At least Tekken has a bunch of other characters to enjoy, one bad design isn't going to ruin the experience for many.

Sayah

Reminds me of the situation with DmC where people were set to support the Dante re-design due to the backlash and media coverage of white/black hair. Yeah that turned out real good for that game...

At least Tekken has a bunch of other characters to enjoy, one bad design isn't going to ruin the experience for many.

I don't think that's comparable but okay. They fixed Dante's DmC design. I don't think they're gonna be changing Lucky Chloe in any significant way.

Edit: If you read Harada's twitter now, it's filled with support messages for chloe. The hate got drowned out.

I think it's also a terrible design but the backlash made me want to troll with her online. SEEEEEEE YOU NEXT TIIIIME!!! BAIIIIIII

That ending taunt is like salt on wounds. lol.

Infinite

Y'all still pressed about Chloe? And no that isn't in anyway comparable to the situation with DmC considering you're stuck with Dante but with Tekken you can actually choose a character you do like.

chocolate disco

Neo Member

It's a pretty good ability to see only one bad design in the Tekken's roster.

Sayah

Y'all still pressed about Chloe? And no that isn't in anyway comparable to the situation with DmC considering you're stuck with Dante but with Tekken you can actually choose a character you do like.

Chloe design is bad but it's not any worse than some of the other stuff we've had.

RMikaSFA3.jpg

Darkstalkers-felicia.png

I can see chloe appeals to a certain audience, though. And considering Namco wants Tekken to be a global brand catering to everyone, I can't blame them for catering to that audience.

Everyone tries to dream of the days Tekken was only dark and serious but I don't think those days ever existed. We've always had goofy characters in Tekken and funny, non-serious endings right alongside with all the serious Mishima fist fights.

fader

Not to mention SF3 still had a few characters trickle in (Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Chun) from the old series. Originally, I believe the game plan was to scrap everyone entirely, Ken and Ryu included, hence the "New Generation" title.

which is a pretty bold move on Capcom's part. They probably wanted to go this route and create new characters every number version. Sad that people hate new things...

SF3 did poorly in the arcades as well from my experience with the veteran crew. It was a combo of lack of favorite characters, projectile game being made totally crap (people hated parry), and NG was truly kusoge (people developed Ibuki triple OS tech into infinites here)

Was that infinite in 3rd Strike or only the original? Capcom has always been pretty bad at grabbing fans of previous iterations. That's why you will only see people who only play SF2 or SF3... Kinda sucks..

Sayah

It's a pretty good ability to see only one bad design in the Tekken's roster.

Which other design is outright awful?

If you answer Alisa, fine. But at least she has chainsaw arms and an exploding head, which makes up for those ugly pink hair. Other characters range from okay to awesome, though.

Infinite

I don't think her design is bad, personally. They were clearly going for the modern AKB48 styled idol + Hatsune Miku-esque vocaloid look and on that end they executed it well. Almost too well which presents the issue; It's not a design Tekken fans and enthusiasts around these parts will not resonate with her considering that we do not yet have a culturally affinity towards Japanese idols and vocaloids which is evidently Chloe's sources of inspiration . So unsurprisingly many of you are adverse to it. The thing some of you need to realize is that that's honestly ok. You're not going to like every character design in a fighting game. Every thing doesn't have to appeal to you at once. I personally don't see it for Q at all but many of you guys are hardcore Q fans. I don't go out of my way to let you all know how much I find Q to be corny, I simply let y'all cook.

Village

that's a very good point. That's why I am annoyed with the sudden supporters of Karin.

I tthink karin has supporters. She fits the rival western blond girl trope that is in so many anime, I feel as though there is a fanbase for that character

But like birdie, no. Put like what rufus was gonna be as a character, you just haven't seen birdie in a while.

Silky

Banned
And that's the fucking problem.

Explain why is it bad but a fucking kangaroo is okay

I mean Tekken isn't a sacred bastion of character design but at the same time I can't really put m y finger on the bad designs outside of like Lars and Alisa. It's not as bad as in BlazBlue where everyone looks creatively sterile.

Dahbomb

There are like a dozen other waifu fighters and idolmasters for these people to consume. They can cook that stuff in those games.

And besides Alisa is already supposed to be that character which appeals to them. Then on top of that there are a ton of customizations to make your character to look like a catgirl or an idol or whatever you fancy.

I already explained why Chloe is bad. It's overdesigned and garish with no unifying theme. Is it a ballerina, a DJ, a pop idol? At least the kangaroo looks like a damn kangaroo.

A good design is something where you look at the character and you instantly recognize what they are going for. When I look at Chloe I clearly see that they are going for a demographic, not going for a good character design. It's not original and it's not inspired.

It honestly looks like one of the many custom creations that people make which are a god damn eye sore. Hell I have seen people make custom creations that look better than that.

Village

There are like a dozen other waifu fighters and idolmasters for these people to consume. They can cook that stuff in those games.

And besides Alisa is already supposed to be that character which appeals to them. Then on top of that there are a ton of customizations to make your character to look like a catgirl or an idol or whatever you fancy.

Ok, well they made another one. There are other characters you can play.

I'm bout to play as my by sasheem or whatever his name is, arabic dude in video game with a respectful design. Oh hell yes.

Naw. I made this point before.

I can't get mad at cloe when devil jin is the human version of the first two Lincoln park albums

animu weirdos need tekken characters too Dahbomb :(

not like any of ya'll niggas actually play Tekken(or fighting games(or video games)) anyway ayy lmao

Azure J

animu weirdos need tekken characters too Dahbomb :(

not like any of ya'll niggas actually play Tekken(or fighting games(or video games)) anyway ayy lmao

I've been too anime lately. Xrd is a whole new world for me and my tourist ass is too slow and getting robbed on the regular. :lol

Frantic

cuz a kangaroo could kick someone's shit in more than a tutu wearing idol wannabe. this is a fighting game, god dammit, not idolmaster!

In reality, I'm indifferent to the design of Lucky Chloe. I'm desensitized to anything deemed "too anime" at this point. Hell, she isn't even as anime as she probably could be. The rabbit hole of anime goes deep.

Dahbomb

I also don't get this whole argument of "Tekken has bad designs already, what is one more bad design going to do?" Just because there are other bad designs in Tekken doesn't excuse them to add even more bad ones.

I don't want another Lars or another type of bear in Tekken either.

Silky

Banned
I already explained why Chloe is bad. It's overdesigned and garish with no unifying theme. Is it a ballerina, a DJ, a pop idol? At least the kangaroo looks like a damn kangaroo.

A good design is something where you look at the character and you instantly recognize what they are going for. When I look at Chloe I clearly see that they are going for a demographic, not going for a good character design. It's not original and it's not inspired.

It honestly looks like one of the many custom creations that people make which are a god damn eye sore. Hell I have seen people make custom creations that look better than that.

I really don't think Chloe is appealing to any demographic because of the inconsistencies with her design. I'll agree that she's a very loud and incoherent character but this is a game that has a LOT of loud and incoherent characters. I think she fits in fine.

I used to think C. Viper was an incredibly non SF like character and I still do today because her direction is something you see from KOF.

notworksafe

Still moaning about Chloe? I guess when you don't actually play fighting games you gotta do something to occupy your time til the next fgc drama event to cluck about.

Top Bottom