• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

mbpm1

All they would be useful for at that point would be to interrupt non-tight strings for like 30 damage. You would have to buff lights in some other weird way if that was going to happen.

A better solution if you HAD to go that route would be to make lights only comboable into themselves, like Gouken.

But everyone hates that factor of Gouken

xezuru

Probably a needle in a haystack but anyone here play dolphin netplay of Project M?

I should really stop juggling all these game I want to play and get good at but they all feel so gooooooood.

On the topic of Option Selects, I have no problem with them conventionally in their initial interpretation like just having a normal that happens to cover an option while buffering a special. I feel like Option Selects are fine and great when within the game it works due to combined usage of a characters unique tools for that situation as theoretically the other characters would have their own unique take against it. I do agree and see though that most the time, OS are universal and cover way too many/all options sometimes when a game doesn't have many options in general from that situation (which became a problem and forced Ultra SF4 changes)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Playing on stick screws with my hands sooner than on pad. I could probably play all day on a pad, lol but I don't move my wrists as much which may help avoid strain.

I'll stick to pad.

Stick makes it worse for me especially the left wrist because I have a bad habit of using my wrists for movements more than I have to. Also because of living outside the States and playing on crappy arcade sticks, you had to exaggerate the motions to get the correct motions out which resulted in more pressure on the wrist.

I know man, playing sticks in DR made it horrible when I was a kid. The condition of the sticks were awful since I lived in an impoverished area while I was there.

You might want to check your posture when you type, a surprising amount of people have their chairs too low or armrests in awkward positions so that they are pressing down on the edge of the table with their wrists instead of pressing down on the flat of the table with the bottoms of their palms, which can actually cause swelling and a ton of pain on the nerve (I learned this the hard way).

If you're using stick correctly there's a low range of movement and you don't really need to use a lot of strength, so it might help. In my experience playing on pad hurts my hands a lot more because of how much effort is required of fingers like the thumb for the usual motions required for fighting games. Playing AAA games where you're usually just pressing forward on the left analog and doing left trigger, right trigger shouldn't theoretically cause problems, though.

I'll be sure to keep in mind when I type on a keyboard. Silly thing is I'm usually on my laptop while on a bed during the night and have the worst posture imaginable when typing.

Some reasoning behind this would be helpful.

"I hate combos and will take any opportunity to remind you all that I'm 400+ years old and games were more fun back in my day when people had no idea what they were doing"

Regarding SF4 throw OS, which would you guys prefer? Punch taking priority over kick so we don't get lows out of the OS, or would you have throw techs not available for crouching inputs?

The latter. Basically stand and open yourself up to lows if you want to tech.

also throw invincibility on wake-up pls

Uraizen

Banned
Regarding SF4 throw OS, which would you guys prefer? Punch taking priority over kick so we don't get lows out of the OS, or would you have throw techs not available for crouching inputs?

Depends on the mechanics the game has, but I would generally prefer the latter.

kirblar

If inputting a thow input while crouching actually made the throw come out instead of a low, that would be perfectly fine.

Dahbomb

The solution for crouch tech is fairly simple, you just copy/paste what Skullgirls does. You can't tech while crouching, you actually have to stand up in that game.

The solution for crouch tech is fairly simple, you just copy/paste what Skullgirls does. You can't tech while crouching, you actually have to stand up in that game.

I don't know if that would actually work in Street Fighter now, especially since it's supposed to be a beginner-friendly game, and I'm not sure if it's intuitive.

It's the most elegant way to solve it, though.

Dahbomb

The more I post about these mechanics the more I want to play Tekken and wash myself clean of stuff like crouch techs, invincible back dashes, crazy option selects, ambiguous cross ups and lop sided match ups.

mbpm1

You generally can't combo from chained/rapid fire jabs/shorts in SF2, and I wouldn't consider them useless in that engine.

Oh, I forgot the chaining system. I thought what he was suggesting was "can't combo into jabs/shorts even from itself."

Still don't think it's a thing that has to be though.

Mr. X

I cant think of non meaty light attacks linking into stronger buttons in SF outside of SF4. They were usually chain combos (sfa) and target combos (sf3).

The more I post about these mechanics the more I want to play Tekken and wash myself clean of stuff like crouch techs, invincible back dashes, crazy option selects, ambiguous cross ups and lop sided match ups.

At this rate Tekken will have all of those things by Tekken 8

Mr. X

Dogface watches over the fgc. Once in a while, someone lets us know he is still present, watching us like that nosey neighbor across the street.

Xevren

So go do it. It's fun I swear.

Ambiguous crossups are one of my favorite things in fighting games. Hell, MvC3 is either OS central or Crossup city and we still can't get tired of that shit.

Also, I'm not entirely sure, but I don't recall SG having invincible backdashes. If they are then they've got to have a tiny window because I don't recall people using them effectively.
Yeah, I find it to be a good thing because I've got to be more deliberate in my ground techs by standing up too. Something in my brain goes lazy when I've just got to press a button to tech on the ground. It helps that the tech time is pretty reasonable.

CPS2

You generally can't combo from chained/rapid fire jabs/shorts in SF2, and I wouldn't consider them useless in that engine.
sonichurricane.com/articles/sf2chain.html

I get why you'd say that but there's a few ways around it.

Infinite

Making you stand up to tech is a good thing but it also relies on the throw tech window being reasonable and possibly the throw itself being executed with two buttons which comes complete with a whiff animation. It makes the player commit to the throw tech which I like.

alstein

I cant think of non meaty light attacks linking into stronger buttons in SF outside of SF4. They were usually chain combos (sfa) and target combos (sf3).

Chain/target combos would be ok, but even there I'd prefer them to start from medium attacks.

Mostly it's to avoid the SF4 situation where it really felt like I used jab/shorts as primary buttons a lot more than I ever did in SF2. A lack of blockstun also caused this, I was happy to see more blockstun in that SFV trailer.

Making you stand up to tech is a good thing but it also relies on the throw tech window being reasonable and possibly the throw itself being executed with two buttons which comes complete with a whiff animation. It makes the player commit to the throw tech which I like.

Here I kinda wish throw/throw teching would revert back to the way it was in A2. You teched a throw you took a bit of damage but didn't get put in a bad situation. ST teching wasn't good enough, SF3-4 teching was too good.
I also prefer one-button throws in general. Yeah you get the old-school OS that was Chun's stand strong, but you had to commit to throw techs more in the old-school way.

I could swear you are channeling Mike right now. Those words sound pretty similar to stuff he has said in the past. Also, macros always give you one button throws if you want them in SG. I always assign throws to R1 for BB too. Strangely I stick with two button throws in SG even though the easier option is always available.

I'm weird

Dahbomb

So go do it. It's fun I swear.
Should've said that it makes me want to go BACK to Tekken. I am just waiting for T7 to go hard body in that game, until then I am waiting for BB to have GGXrd be available (or unless I can get it cheaper than $45 from some other store).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Online is still pretty free
xNeMjof.jpg

Xevren

Should've said that it makes me want to go BACK to Tekken. I am just waiting for T7 to go hard body in that game, until then I am waiting for BB to have GGXrd be available (or unless I can get it cheaper than $45 from some other store).

We're in for a long wait :(

I really only play Tekken at the moment, gonna pick up MKX. Just really hoping NRS does a better job this time with the netcode, but as of right now I'm going to assume it will be awful again.

Tekken has its share of "wtf" shit too lol.

Dahbomb

Who are the agreed upon big 4 at this point in Marvel's life?
By big 4 I meant characters who everyone hates watching being played ie. Doom, Zero, Vergil and Morrigan. Magneto is as good as those characters but he is fun to watch because he can play defense, go offense and is just zipping around like crazy. I guess you can add Wolverine to that list too.

Speaking of Dr Doom, he's top tier as fuck in another game... Hearthstone.

Tier list hasn't actually changed from the past few months or so and I don't think they will.

Top Tier

Zero (da best character in the game)
Vergil
Morrigan
Dr Doom
Magneto

High Tier

Nova
Wolverine
Spencer
Viper
Strider
Dante
Firebrand
Dormammu
Phoenix

Mid Tier (you can kinda split these into Upper Mid and Lower Mid but I don't feel like splicing them up even further)

Trish
Storm
Akuma
Amaterasu
Dr Strange
MODOK
Spider Man (is really only weak against a few match ups among the top tier, can destroy various other characters)
Skrull (mostly because he pairs with Firebrand in a top tier as fuck team)
Rocket Raccoon
Viewtiful Joe
Chris
Hawkeye
Frank West
Hulk
Wesker (only relevant because of certain match ups and if paired with Vergil + Strider or Vergil + Doom)
Haggar (assist is still good, relevant as long as Wolverine and Spencer get played)
Sentinel (assist is still very good, Harddrive still very good)
Shuma Gorath (just for the assist)

These characters I would consider strong enough to be included in a team that is capable of winning a major even potentially EVO (or they have already done so) and thus are characters who are relevant to the metagame (meaning you should know about the tools of these characters if you are entering a tournament as you would have to deal with them potentially or they will get you wrecked).

Other characters don't have either the point capability or the support capability to be pickable or are simply trumped by another similar character in the game. Case can be made for Arthur and his support value but there are so many horizontal assists already available in the game. Same thing for Taskmaster, Hawkeye is just slightly better than him and even though Task is better in the Wolverine match up, Hawkeye straight up destroys characters like Doom which makes him a character who can win you a match in tournament more often than not (as an anchor battle of Hawkeye vs Doom is bound to happen).

X23 and Felicia are too much like Wolverine in their game plan to warrant being picked over him as they are not as good as him. Case can be made for X23 and unblockable set up but if you want to do that then you should be playing Firebrand anyway.

Iron Man is a worse Dr Doom or Magneto depending upon how you want to use him which makes him completely irrelevant. Ryu is a worse Akuma even now. Tron, Nemesis and She Hulk have far too many bad match ups along with really terrible assists/support value to make them pickable. Case can be made for Thor in certain match ups and I am certainly a believer but no one has had the success with him, we have only seen some glimpses. Chun Li is basically Ryu tier as well. I am a believer in Deadpool too but again, not enough has been showcased on him. Cap is not good enough even if he can steal matches with random HCS, it's simply not solid.

Iron Fist, Phoenix Wright, Ghost Rider and Hsien Ko are just plain bad characters who are dropped by even the most staunch low tier heroes.

IMO if your character is worse than Hulk, Taskmaster and Wesker (characters who I would consider on the cusp of being viable) then your character is not really viable.

kirblar

I pray that sf5 removes the FADC. Having to do it with Juri is a pain in me arse.
I strongly suspect we'll see nothing as obnoxious execution-wise- the power-up modes seem like they allow cancels that normally aren't possible. (low forward- > Denjin Hadoken)

vocab

I don't know if that would actually work in Street Fighter now, especially since it's supposed to be a beginner-friendly game, and I'm not sure if it's intuitive.

It's the most elegant way to solve it, though.
1f links and fadcs aren't intuitive either.

Top Bottom