• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

JeTmAn81

Well I just started taking it seriously so I'm slowly learning more. I'm interested in software engineering but it'll probably evolve to something greater than that. I mostly know Java to a basic level compared to some monsters out there in the real world. I gotta say, that script is really nifty lol, gonna go install it now.
Have any pointers or books for a beginner like me to become a master programmer? I'm a quick learner.

Figure out what makes you really excited about programming and study that. It could be games, it could be web stuff, it could be something low level. But programming is a lot of pretty detail-intensive work and study so you want to have good motivation. Most of my professional career has been doing fairly simple web stuff but I want to do more so lately I've been studying core computer science concepts via Coursera. They've got a bunch of that type of stuff on there.

The really cool thing I'm doing right now is called Nand 2 Tetris, which is on Coursera and is a course in which you build an entire computer system, from the individual hardware components starting with a nand gate as a primitive and working your way up to a CPU and memory, through to the software side where you write an assembler, VM translator, compiler and operating system which can run real programs in a custom object-oriented language. It's been pretty amazing to finally learn how all this stuff really works.

I did computer science for a couple of years in college but it was too intense for me at the
time so I changed to Management Information Systems which is sort of a much easier business-focused version of computer science. Somehow I'm now finding myself fascinated by all that stuff I couldn't handle in college.

JeTmAn81

Programming has too much math. That's why I quit after two classes.

It really depends on what you're doing. None of the programming I've ever done has required anything beyond basic math, but if you want to do graphics stuff or serious number-crunching then yeah you need the math. But for a lot of things you don't need it. You don't need it to use advanced algorithms, though you do need it to invent new algorithms and prove them to be industrial strength.

OceanBlue

Programming has too much math. That's why I quit after two classes. I anit about that shit.

I'm a (new) developer and I don't actually do that much math. Most of the work for me is probably keeping track in my head of how a bunch of small parts connect together so I don't fuck anything up.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Figure out what makes you really excited about programming and study that. It could be games, it could be web stuff, it could be something low level. But programming is a lot of pretty detail-intensive work and study so you want to have good motivation. Most of my professional career has been doing fairly simple web stuff but I want to do more so lately I've been studying core computer science concepts via Coursera. They've got a bunch of that type of stuff on there.

The really cool thing I'm doing right now is called Nand 2 Tetris, which is on Coursera and is a course in which you build an entire computer system, from the individual hardware components starting with a nand gate as a primitive and working your way up to a CPU and memory, through to the software side where you write an assembler, VM translator, compiler and operating system which can run real programs in a custom object-oriented language. It's been pretty amazing to finally learn how all this stuff really works.

I did computer science for a couple of years in college but it was too intense for me at the
time so I changed to Management Information Systems which is sort of a much easier business-focused version of computer science. Somehow I'm now finding myself fascinated by all that stuff I couldn't handle in college.

I got really excited about a course that was basically about this. Assembling the software through the hardware and making it from scratch so you can see what does what. I'm really interested in games but that'll probably remain a hobby unless I become some millionaire that can live off of it lol
which of course is highly unlikely but I do plan to cement myself in the game industry in any shape or form.
I really like letting my creative juices flow so which is why I thought of software engineering, might try doing research and get the hang for things. Hopefully my friend got his job at google so he can hook me up once I graduate.

vocab

I feel like the math and the never ending complexity are overwhelming to me. I just cant master or even be competent at something so powerful with endless potential. I feel like id have to dedicate my life to that shit, but I honestly couldnt see my self doing that with any subject. Nothing is that interesting to me.

JeTmAn81

I feel like the math and the never ending complexity are overwhelming to me. I just cant master or even be competent at something so powerful with endless potential. I feel like id have to dedicate my life to that shit, but I honestly couldnt see my self doing that with any subject. Nothing is that interesting to me.

Well, finding something interesting about it is job one, if you can't do that you can't learn anything complex. But I think a lot of people get scared off by thinking everything has to be insanely complicated, when that's not true. You can do some really cool things with fairly simple programming tools. It's only as deep as you want it to be.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Well, finding something interesting about it is job one, if you can't do that you can't learn anything complex. But I think a lot of people get scared off by thinking everything has to be insanely complicated, when that's not true. You can do some really cool things with fairly simple programming tools. It's only as deep as you want it to be.

Yeah man, its pretty surprising what 15 lines of code can do, really powerful stuff. I have a horrible background in math, which I plan to change, and I get around alright. Unless you wanna do graphics, which is a hassle on its own, nothing too math intensive unless you are going into biostats, which is hell. Lets chill on the programming talk unless we want Shouta to scare us away lol.

gutabo

EVO HOTEL QUESTION:
We have reserved a room at the Paris hotel for two people. Another two guys want to stay with us and share expenses. Some people are telling us that we dont need to tell the hotel about it. Is that true? Do we have to register them? Do we tell them that they have to register their own room? Thanks in advance!

Tripon

EVO HOTEL QUESTION:
We have reserved a room at the Paris hotel for two people. Another two guys want to stay with us and share expenses. Some people are telling us that we dont need to tell the hotel about it. Is that true? Do we have to register them? Do we tell them that they have to register their own room? Thanks in advance!
You don't need to tell them, but make sure you only have the two people registered pick up keys. Then give them to your unregged friends, if you really need to get back into the room, you can always ask for another and claim you lost it.

EVO HOTEL QUESTION:

dont tell the hotel because they'll charge you more for the room. We had the same thing and decided to just have one person on the room so we dont get charged like an extra 60 each night. Just go with the two, and if they say anything just play it like you didnt know.

EVO HOTEL QUESTION:

Pretty sure we had at least 7 people in our room at one point in that same hotel. They just don't have to find out >.>

EVO HOTEL QUESTION:

Find out if they charge for extra people to begin with. I'm not sure how it is at Paris, but I'm booked at Bally's and they don't charge for up to 4 people in a room.

From my understanding, if you are going to stuff more people than allotted, only put 1 person staying (at most 2) and put a do not disturb sign so the cleanup maids won't come in.

Also depends on the hotel tho

Azure J

After this algorithms course, I just feel totally deflated when it comes to the underlying math in programming at a decent level. It's like I get an aspect of the discrete math or how to generate the psuedocode for algorithm's sake it if I'm allowed to sit 3 months on it and absorb it. Getting all that information so quickly with all kinds of crazy other shit going on while also getting crazy things to deal with on the side in the same subject for huge exams though just led to a complete burnout I was not prepared for. =/

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
EVO HOTEL QUESTION:

If you don't feel guilty, just don't tell the hotel and do it. Shoving 7 people in one room is hype as fuck for exhibitions and money matches but then gets horrible once there are only two medium sized beds in the room. Ask about their rates for extra people in a room.

Find out if they charge for extra people to begin with. I'm not sure how it is at Paris, but I'm booked at Bally's and they don't charge for up to 4 people in a room.

I thought ballys charged. I called them up and they said they charge for more than 2 ppl but it may have been for more keys. Also rollouts cost money too. Looking through my messages and yea it seems no charges

Shackzam

After this algorithms course, I just feel totally deflated when it comes to the underlying math in programming at a decent level. It's like I get an aspect of the discrete math or how to generate the psuedocode for algorithm's sake it if I'm allowed to sit 3 months on it and absorb it. Getting all that information so quickly with all kinds of crazy other shit going on while also getting crazy things to deal with on the side in the same subject for huge exams though just led to a complete burnout I was not prepared for. =/
Quit making me worry about this shit. I gotta take discrete and cal 3 next fall semester, I really didn't like dealing with cal 2 but I got through it.

TheChits

Quit making me worry about this shit. I gotta take discrete and cal 3 next fall semester, I really didn't like dealing with cal 2 but I got through it.

Discrete and Calc 3 aren't all that difficult, especially calc 3. I wouldn't worry about those courses at all

petghost

Banned
Bought a hitbox. It's pretty rad. It kinda feels too easy doing stuff like baikens instant overhead tk Dragon punch thing super close to the ground.

I wonder if it would make ino 6frc6 stuff easier too.

Worrying about math in programming is like worrying that you can't do EVO moment 37 so you can't play fighting games.

The real world is just picking Ryu and doing LF into fireball over and over and over again until you die.

I wanna see some pregame mind games

L211x3i.gif

It really depends on what you're doing. None of the programming I've ever done has required anything beyond basic math, but if you want to do graphics stuff or serious number-crunching then yeah you need the math. But for a lot of things you don't need it. You don't need it to use advanced algorithms, though you do need it to invent new algorithms and prove them to be industrial strength.
Or anything with encryption... I took an advanced algorithms course and that shit gave me a headache with number theoretic algorithms (and I'll never use number theoretic algorithms again thank god).

Dahbomb

KRB beating Viper in the match up but then is getting blown up by Doom...

That Gamma Crush XF to beat out the EX Seismo was sexy!

Dahbomb

This doesn't look like your tournament level KBR who is a monster that makes you sweat. Full Schedule is just man handling him with his Doom + Ammy... basically 2v3 and he is still winning.

Plus KBR dropping more combos in this set than he has in the past 2 months.

Top Bottom