• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

Anne

Thanks for the info. I just want to dip my toes into the game a bit, mostly just to kill time until Xrd comes out. Why is lame bad in persona? Are the lame characters just bad or is the overall game system such that it makes lame play difficult?

I missed this. It basically comes down to you don't the damage/momentum you need to keep up from zoning, and therre are actually few traditional zoners in the game anyways lol. Yukari probably has the best zoning, but she's actually A+ tier more due to her lockdown than anything. Naoto has screen pollution but doesn't function as a traditional zoner, and Liz isn't a zoner, she's just weird.

Parents who support their kid's hobbies are da bess.

RFD is gonna be hype. Really looking forward to the rest of the EU tournaments this year.

4rd Focus

Attack Dash Cancel?

『Inaba Resident』;131404436 said:
Don't know if this has been posted, but this is some of most straight up salt I've seen in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67JNUkQJQ5o&feature=youtu.be&t=3m

Damn dude I was about to play the next episode of D4. Now I have this to laugh my arse off too. That beginning, man I'm in for serious fun. Thanks

strong contender for best non-FGW fighting game thread this week:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900479

Hahaha holy shit. The stuff that happens when you're asleep man.

Parents who support their kid's hobbies are da bess.

RFD is gonna be hype. Really looking forward to the rest of the EU tournaments this year.

I was gonna go this year but man, I really want that Evil Within and Bayonetta. Gonna have to sacrifice going....that I lost my passport.

Azure J

Ogawa tier-list on GGXrd :

S: Millia, Zato, Faust, Ramlethal
A: I-No, Sol=Ky, Chipp=Venom
B: Everyone else

Ogawa is struggling lately but he still thinks that Zato is the second best character in the game, interesting.

For comparaison :

Looks like Azure's Law is still in effect.

Azure's Law: Any character I look at as a true main in a FG I'm actually buying/getting will either be the fourth best character or the top of A tier out of that cast.

Speaking of the GGXrd tier list : Greatfernman on Dustloop translated some of Ogawa's tweets explaining his choices. You can find the post here

Ogawa on :

Zato:
I'm very worried, there aren't many zato players, so his strengths could easily change. for now, since other kanto players and I think he's strong, I listed him as strong.
(I'm not sure about this part:) he's strong all because of his offense and there haven't been many counter-plans against him(?) (People don't know the match up?)

Faust:
f.S is the strongest. He's easy and hard to make a mistake with. The problem is some parts of the millia and zato matchups are impossible, but perhaps they can't get through Faut's wall (i assume he's talking about the poking game)(?). He's extremely strong for now.

Millia:
(I don't understand the first bit, it seems that he's calling millia the strongest but I'm really not sure). Millia may be overtaken by faust, ino or zato. She's stable, but it's not enough to be the strongest by a little(???). The same can be said about zato.

Ram:
(Something about 4-6 matchups, I have no idea what yaki reiji is so I fail to comprehend the sentence) Recently, there's the impression that she loses to Faust, I-no and Slayer(?). She has a lot of bullshit moves, high damage and setplay, so I don't think she'll drop in rankings, but I'm a little suspicious about it.

I-no:
This is my own personal evaluation. She can destroy fuzzies midscreen easily. (Some stuff that I'm assuming are I-no specific move names that I don't know in Japanese, but he talks about Chemical YRC) And she has various setplay possibilities.

Venom:
Venom's neutral is strong, and everyone get's opened up by him, even the people who don't seem like they're going to be opened up. Balls open up multiple yomi possibilites (?)(I'm not sure because I'm not sure what that would mean), and aren't bad. I wonder how the Millia and Faust matchups are? (something about chipp being forced to block, i guess he's saying venom can force even chipp to block). Venom has bullshit moves but they're weak if blitz shielded (??).

Looks like Azure's Law is still in effect.

Azure's Law: Any character I look at as a true main in a FG I'm actually buying/getting will either be the fourth best character or the top of A tier out of that cast.

Ahah that's great, at least that's not the Mike Ross law :x

I'll be sure to win him over this coming year. What's his career? I'll chat him up good.

time to make a sicker dadwicks shirt. Also get him a mug. Just one up smedwicks all the time. You may also want to try dressing like him. That or pay him like 100 bucks to say you're better then smedwicks

Ogawa tier-list on GGXrd :

S: Millia, Zato, Faust, Ramlethal
A: I-No, Sol=Ky, Chipp=Venom
B: Everyone else

Ogawa is struggling lately but he still thinks that Zato is the second best character in the game, interesting.

For comparaison :
Kiisha
S Sol, Zato, Faust, Ramlethal
S- Chipp, Millia
A Ky, May, Axl, Slayer
B Bedman, I-No, Venom
C Potemkin

Woshige
S Faust, Millia, Chipp Zanuff, Ramlethal, Zato-One
A Sol, Ky
B I-No, Slayer, Venom, Potemkin, Bedman, May
C Axl-Low

Yeah, Zato has been struggling for a while now. And in a way, it's no wonder. The non-ogawa Zato players just don't contain real monsters. Furthermore, look at Zato and look at the cast. A good number of them have really solid Eddie-killing ability now, with Ramlethal making Eddie almost irrelevant. What's left? Solid buttons, good damage. Nothing you can't find in others. Even lateral movement in the air is nerfed from what I hear - Zato just can't really fly forward as well as in old titles.

The last problem is that while the package is still really good, I don't think ogawa was using it properly last I saw his play. Ogawa plays with Eddie as his base and complements him with Zato's tools, while most other Zato players do the opposite - close Zato's holes with Eddie, as was probably originally intended.

AC Eddie has monstrous zoning ability while Zato's buttons are kinda meh, so Ogawa's style is godlike there, but with #R/Xrd Zato where Zato himself is strong and Eddie's ability to control space is lesser (while his ability to lock people down is rock solid still), and people are really capable of just killing Eddie quite easily, playing with Eddie as the basis just doesn't feel smart to me.

When I watch Zatos the situations where they feel most in control are when they're utilizing Zato's buttons, not relying on Eddie.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Zato drop out of S tier over the game's lifespan, but only time will tell I guess.

Speaking of the GGXrd tier list : Greatfernman on Dustloop translated some of Ogawa's tweets explaining his choices. You can find the post here

reasoning = <Mr.Burns> Eexcellent.

Dunno if I agree with that assessment of Ramlethal. IMO, she seems more solid than Zato does. Better buttons, her Eddies don't die. Instead of controlling time (=endless katame/asynchornous assault) in a 2d game (though she can setup monstrous lockdown in the corner and has great carry juggles), she controls space. I'd easily say she's a more solid character than Zato is for now. I think there's room to develop in Zato play, a lot of room, but atm the chops just aren't there.

reasoning = <Mr.Burns> Eexcellent.

Dunno if I agree with that assessment of Ramlethal. IMO, she seems more solid than Zato does. Better buttons, her Eddies don't die. Instead of controlling time (=endless katame/asynchornous assault) in a 2d game (though she can setup monstrous lockdown in the corner and has great carry juggles), she controls space. I'd easily say she's a more solid character than Zato is for now. I think there's room to develop in Zato play, a lot of room, but atm the chops just aren't there.

Yes, that's kinda funny tho', cause it's almost like all Ramlethal tools were created to counter Zato. And like you said earlier, the nerf on the flight speed doesn't help :-/. By the way you're right on everything you said regarding the way Ogawa plays Zato, i hope he'll try to use more buttons with Zato. I'm curious to see what the new characters will bring to the game by the way.

Yes, that's kinda funny tho', cause it's almost like all Ramlethal tools were created to counter Zato. And like you said earlier, the nerf on the flight speed doesn't help :-/. By the way you're right on everything you said regarding the way Ogawa plays Zato, i hope he'll try to use more buttons with Zato. I'm curious to see what the new characters will bring to the game by the way.

Yeah, the upward angle on the fireball is hilarious. Escape the swords, you'll hit that. It's a goddamn brick wall.

Good day today:

So for the past four months I've been bringing my Razer Atrox to every major I've been at. Best arcade stick I've ever owned. Then, on Tuesday, it died. :( After consulting with less-than-helpful Razer support, I went to Amazon and just asked for an RMA. They're sending out a brand new one which I'll have before the weekend. :D This is handy as I also somehow managed to snap the hinges on the Atrox... :\

The lesson I've learned from this is that the Madcatz TE is really a ridiculously good bit of kit - I've had to go back to my old one, and I'm reminded how sturdy the darn thing is. Lots of stars aligned around SF4's release.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Someone found a TAC infinite for Phoenix Wright! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSrmtl-PLIY&feature=youtu.be

wow, i think uglywhen will really like this tech and i think the whiffed up tac might work for a couple other characters!

Catching up on the last two pages or so of posts and man y'all got hit with the HARDEST okie-doke I've ever seen one community get caught up in since I first got on GAF. :lol

it was glorious and all of us took turns.

damn silky, i thought you died or something in that black culture thread. Also, loving the name "Dadwicks".

Edit:

"Didn't know DSP had a NeoGAF account" Wow, so dead.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
That's cool but them I'm like, just buy the Wii U version.
On the topic of Smash, I've discovered these video. My sides!

omg... villagers entrance
OHErZ.png

petghost

Banned
so xrd top tier has 3 setplay monsters. fuuuuuck.

ram especially looks like a blowup for venom as it can bee quite hard for him to get a ball out while she got swords all over the screen. any missed attempt at ballset will = counter hit into get fucked.

i hope they give faust back his old f.s and at that point he will still be pretty fucked up but quite a bit more reasonable. he can use that new button to constantly harass and keep people in blockstun while he tosses out items. he also raises quite a bit more guard bar than anyone else i've seen except maybe sol via fafnir, so his damage can be huge.

Kumubou

I'm legitimately sad that I'm sending back my copy of AH3:LM that I just got from Amazon. I want to support the game, but fucking up the online play like that is absolutely unacceptable and it needs to be made clear. Owning the JP version already doesn't help. That's why it's so obnoxious -- they're splitting the player base for Reasons. The game's community being as small as it is doesn't help, either.

So for the past four months I've been bringing my Razer Atrox to every major I've been at. Best arcade stick I've ever owned. Then, on Tuesday, it died. :( After consulting with less-than-helpful Razer support, I went to Amazon and just asked for an RMA. They're sending out a brand new one which I'll have before the weekend. :D This is handy as I also somehow managed to snap the hinges on the Atrox... :\
Sounds like Razer's sticks are built about as well as their mice. That's good to know (so I don't buy one).

In the chair, time for more of my face to get ripped out of me

Fml
Good luck, it sounds like you'll need it. D:

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm legitimately sad that I'm sending back my copy of AH3:LM that I just got from Amazon. I want to support the game, but fucking up the online play like that is absolutely unacceptable and it needs to be made clear. Owning the JP version already doesn't help. That's why it's so obnoxious -- they're splitting the player base for Reasons. The game's community being as small as it is doesn't help, either.

Wait. It's not just version incompatibility?

Top Bottom