• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question directed at everyone, who would skip the game if gameplay was identical to the original? Similarly, who would skip it if it was tweaked significantly without going full ARPG? What about if it DID go full ARPG?

I don't think I'd skip it regardless of what they did, but I'd be EXTREMELY disappointed if there were significant changes to the combat.
I wouldn't skip it for any of those reasons, I just want them to nail the story and world and make the game fun. I would skip it if it became a hallway sim like FFXIII though, but I don't see that happening.

So did you guys already discuss what Shawn Layden said on the Playstation stream?
http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/6249998 at 1h 37m

He said the game is being remade "almost" from the ground up.

Almost for me sounds like it will still be basically the same game and not a completely new 3d Game, I would think they will have all cutscenes completely new, all Backgrounds completely redone, of course the new Character Models/Enemies/Battle Stages looking like those in the new Cutscenes. But still the same foundation of the game. So you will walk your character through prerendered backgrounds etc.

Prerendered backgrounds? LOL

Watcher

If they can add Zack's character without it being ruined by Genesis, then they should do it.

Zack is the most likeable protagonist in FF.

Zack was in the original they wouldnt have to add him. i also wanna parrot the sentiment from a few posts up, no ffvii compilation stuff.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Though they will be represented by more realistic city scales... I don't expect to be able to go anywhere and do anything in VII towns. In fact, I don't want that. If we have hopes that this is going to be some huge open world thing, it will never come out. I don't even expect something on the scale of XV.

Tigress

Serious question directed at everyone, who would skip the game if gameplay was identical to the original? Similarly, who would skip it if it was tweaked significantly without going full ARPG? What about if it DID go full ARPG?

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they changed it to full action RPG or if they kept the old turn based, I like both. What I would care is if they do this BS where they try to have action based turn based combat in one. Especially with how they implemented it in XII. That's one of the big reasons I've lost complete interest in XV to tell the truth. I found that in XII with the gambit system you either had fights that were so boring cause they were easy enough to just leave your characters on autopilot and just sit back and watch that I was falling asleep in combat or annoying because you needed to change direction on what was happenig and couldn't stop it fast enough and would get killed cause they did something before you could tell it to not do that and do something else. It was just annoying and wasn't fun at all.

HeelPower

As far as giving the fans what they want, there are some very vocal factions on every side, so I really can't imagine who Square will listen to

They should listen to no one and just make what they want to make.

This is gonna be a slaughterhouse if SE involves any form of fan feedback.

They should bow to one with this.Its just too important.

Wonder how much of the Advent Children cast will reprise their roles. I can't imagine Sephiroth NOT being voiced by George Newburn at this point. Could do without Scottish Cait Sith and emotionless Cloud though.

It will be the same as XV. Fully 3D world with large zones for the world map. That's my bet.

I expect XV to be bigger in scope tho.
As long as they don't take away the airship I'm completely fine with this. I could see them doing big open areas like FFXV, but you enter them from a world map that you can walj around like the original game.

Why? It's apart of his character.

The problem with a lot of people these days is that they want here characters and stories to portray it's protagonists as paragons of humanity that don't do anything wrong.

Domestic abuse is terrible yes, but so is terrorism, and let' not forget the very first act you commit in the game takes the lives of innocent people and damages major infrastructure.

Believe me, I don't want my videogame characters to be perfect examples of humanity. Flaws are good. I don't know, I guess those elements of Cid's character just left a bad taste in my mouth, especially with all the hero-worship he seems to get. I'm also conscious of the fact that AVALANCHE are terrorists who've killed a bunch of innocent people, but I suppose it's easier to look past that when they're presented as the good side.

Don't get me wrong, guys, I don't want to censor FFVII. Ideally, I want this remake to be as faithful to the original as possible (though with SE's recent track record, I'm keeping my hopes and expectations firmly in check).

Magnus

I'll never forget the rising swell of excitement in the theatre last night as each of the three big surprises were unveiled, but nothing quite matched VII Remake. The waves of excitement as each new hint brought us closer and closer to the moment "REMAKE" actually flashed on the screen. It was something special. My favourite E3 moment in 13+ years of watching. What a night.

Adam's introduction, then the green lifestream, then the music and tone set by the first few seconds, then Midgar, then the soldiers, then the narration confirming 'reunion' and other 'returns', then Barrett's gun, then Cloud's sword along with the familiar VII music, and then finally the logo and the word REMAKE. It was seriously bizarre and wonderful listening the crowd practically 'edge' as each thing appeared, haha. The eruption of applause afterward, my goodness. So memorable.

Allard

Eh I don't think those two lines add up.

almost from the ground up means that basically nothing will be the same.

He is probably saying absolutely none of the assets from the original game are likely capable of being reused in this game aside from some easter egg or the like. Not sure if or when it changed but I remember a comment a while back about them not keeping a lot of the raw assets they used in creating the games and FMVs. Its part of the reason they had to upscale the Advent Children Movie instead of just rendering it in 1080p because they basically junked the assets to make it after it was finished. Thus if they have to remake everything, they probably want to consider it a blank slate as far as how to create the game and its assets.

I treat this remake as both a completely re-imagining of the original game, but at the same time I also expect it to in some fashion to play (gameplay wise) in a similar fashion. Not sure why so many are clamoring for the action elements in this game like the original was some horrific game, but I really don't think they want to go the approach they have been going in lately for FFXII-FFXV, Part of the charm of the original was being able to pick and play with the characters you liked in your party and controlling all of them whereas the more recent trends has been taking away the ability to manipulate your party aside from the main character, or greatly speeding the game up where it became impractical to do so. I don't mind them re-imaging the combat for the modern take, but it should still imo retain the nature of how we attached ourselves to the characters in those central gameplay moments. A greatly enhanced ATB with more positional elements and triggered/timed elements would be closer to what I want (Basically FFVII gameplay meets FFX-2 ATB with focus on fights transitioning on the field with no random encounters and no change of screen to initiate fight, kinda like what Star Ocean V is doing) to me that would be enough of a modern take, add some action elements, while retaining the core gameplay distinct to the original game.

They are going to ignore the the Compilation considering the fanbase they managed to generate off those titles. Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Advent Children, and Dirge of Cerberus are all more than likely gonna have ties into this remake that are more direct that the original. The previous Avalanche, Genesis and Angeal, Lucrecia and Chaos, and most definitely Zack are all gonna be expanded on in this game.

wmlk

Zack was in the original they wouldnt have to add him. i also wanna parrot the sentiment from a few posts up, no ffvii compilation stuff.

I don't mean reducing him to a sidequest or whatever. I want him to be central to the game at some point in the story.

Believe me, I don't want my videogame characters to be perfect examples of humanity. Flaws are good. I don't know, I guess those elements of Cid's character just left a bad taste in my mouth, especially with all the hero-worship he seems to get. I'm also conscious of the fact that AVALANCHE are terrorists who've killed a bunch of innocent people, but I suppose it's easier to look past that when they're presented as the good side.

Don't get me wrong, guys, I don't want to censor FFVII. Ideally, I want this remake to be as faithful to the original as possible (though with SE's recent track record, I'm keeping my hopes and expectations firmly in check).

I prefer the term... freedom fighter.

The only terror they meant to provide was for Shinra EPC.

I'll never forget the rising swell of excitement in the theatre last night as each of the three big surprises were unveiled, but nothing quite matched VII Remake. The waves of excitement as each new hint brought us closer and closer to the moment "REMAKE" actually flashed on the screen. It was something special. My favourite E3 moment in 13+ years of watching. What a night.

I must say it's really touching to see the overwhelming joy this trailer bought. FF7 means a lot to a lot of people, including me.

lol the FF7 Remake Trailer made 4 Mio views in 1 Day....thats the same as the most viewed Final Fantasy 15 Trailer did in 8 Months

The Hype is real..

Do you guys think FF7:R will be the start of a new compilation. Will FFVII-2 be a possibility?

They wont just visit back the FF7 Universe after nearly 20 years, spend million of dollars on this project, only to make one title.

i expect many Remaster, New Spin-offs and eventually a sequel

But that's kind of the point innit? I mean, the moment you meet Cid and he starts berating Shera the first thing your party asks her when he leaves the room is why she puts up with that shit.
So when in Winter do I expect to hear info? December perhaps?
Jump Festa is more likely

I'm a little leary if the game remains relatively unchanged. Games,especially RPGs, have grown so much in scope and story over the last 2 decades that it may end up feeli n g really dated. This is an issue I think plagues JRPGS as a whole already. I hope it holds up, as it holds a special place in my childhood.

But that's kind of the point innit? I mean, the moment you meet Cid and he starts berating Shera the first thing your party asks her when he leaves the room is why she puts up with that shit.

Jump Festa is more likely

Shera did mess things up...

It's not like he didn't do it for a reason. He was pissed on top of already being a cranky individual.

Bastables

That's nonsense. Persona 5 is going to be turn-based and people are hyped as shit for that game. Not to mention there're other titles like South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Atelier games and upcoming SMTxFE. JRPG turn-based battle is a rare sight on console these days, true, and it's all the more reason why FFVII remake should retain its ATB system.

Yeah I mean that's why XCOM 2 will die still born on steam with it's archaic adherence to turn based shenanigans of oldness. Get with the 80s fresh feel of realtime arpg or bugger off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_of_Daggorath

Real time scrubs.
Bokosuka Wars, back to the future, of the 80s. Real time so new so hot.

iu

Allard

Is that on November or December?

Jump Festa is usually in December, trending closer to the end of the year. Just reminder the first official showcase of FFX (not concept trailer with proto tidus on the clam lands) was at Jump Festa, they showed off the two main characters and some of the FMV for the game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They should listen to no one and just make what they want to make.

This is gonna be a slaughterhouse if SE involves any form of fan feedback.

They should bow to one with this.Its just too important.
Agreed, they should make it like they would have made FFVII originally if they had today's technology.
They shouldn't adjust their original vision unless it's something they wanted to do but couldn't originally.

HeelPower

I don't mean reducing him to a sidequest or whatever. I want him to be central to the game at some point in the story.
I like his role in FF7.

I dislike his CC stuff though.Too melodramatic in the end and too snow-esque otherwise.

I hope for a dehumanizing,grusome death like in the original.

Shera did mess things up...

It's not like he didn't do it for a reason. He was pissed on top of already being a cranky individual.
She didn't mess anything but the characters don't learn that until they actually go into space to grab the big materia

It's a complex situation with an angry guy taking out his frustrations on someone that is willingly trying to get punished for something she thought she did.

I can't wait to see the weird stuff they bring into FFVII from Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.

Outside of maybe a bit more on Zack, I'd rather see it relegated to optional sidequests.

Probably didn't want anything to steal the thunder from this announcement. I still feel like its coming at some point.

Half Life 3 is literally the only announcement at this point that could ever steal thunder from VII-R.

<snip> A greatly enhanced ATB with more positional elements and triggered/timed elements would be closer to what I want (Basically FFVII gameplay meets FFX-2 ATB with focus on fights transitioning on the field with no random encounters and no change of screen to initiate fight, kinda like what Star Ocean V is doing) to me that would be enough of a modern take, add some action elements, while retaining the core gameplay distinct to the original game.

I'd be totally into this, yeah.

Curious question that I'm sure has been asked a thousand times before. I'm tired of using thorn and suck with the last word for pvp. What other decent primary is there to use? I feel like using scouts, autos, and most pulses net you the loss in a fight unless you constantly land headshots and the other guy sucks.

Haha

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I wonder if they will add some optional bosses and sidequests. I'd think a high probability of "yes" on that one. Maybe some optional Sephiroth encounters along the way or something like that.

I've always wanted to fight the Diamond Weapon at fill strength or maybe add another weapon into the mix besides the others.

jb1234

Is Uematsu on board to remaster the soundtrack?

I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved. But either way, he's not qualified as an orchestrator so they'll need to bring in outside help. There's no way this game won't get the full KH2 HD orchestral treatment.

I wonder if they will add some optional bosses and sidequests. I'd think a high probability of "yes" on that one. Maybe some optional Sephiroth encounters along the way or something like that.

I've always wanted to fight the Diamond Weapon at fill strength or maybe add another weapon into the mix besides the others.

Optional super boss: Lightning

I can see it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom