• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miang

They can't take everything or change a lot of the game, then it wouldn't be Final Fantasy VII.

I mean I still predict the death scene to happen, but how it happens or when might be different. Still going to die though.

Oh I agree. The details may be different but I'm sure the main story points will be unchanged. There is no way that they'll change the death - it's a major plot point that influences the rest of the game.

Has there been any word on plans for the world map? Presumably it would be far too ambitious to switxh to an open world design a la XV, but one can't help but feel that a traditional world map would look very out of place amongst the new visuals

The more traditional map was also used in FF Type 0 HD, worked fine for me.

Oh I agree. The details may be different but I'm sure the main story points will be unchanged. There is no way that they'll change the death - it's a major plot point that influences the rest of the game.

Yeah, the death isn't going anywhere. And I doubt there'll be any way to bring her back either, as her death is fundamentally important to the game's ending.

Yeah, the death isn't going anywhere. And I doubt there'll be any way to bring her back either, as her death is fundamentally important to the game's ending.

Considering how non-chalant people talk about the death when talking about FF7, it needs to be tweaked to subvert expectations.

People already know it happens and there's too much information about it existing in the story, but HOW and WHEN it happens has to be changed.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wouldn't mine Star Oceans combat tbh, it's more dramatic and you can freely move around and have full control of the team.
I just hope they don't go FFXV combat

Considering how non-chalant people talk about the death when talking about FF7, it needs to be tweaked to subvert expectations.

People already know it happens and there's too much information about it existing in the story, but HOW and WHEN it happens has to be changed.

Why would it need to be changed? It's an iconic moment, perhaps the most iconic moment in the series history. Among all the things that could/might change, I strongly suspect her death and its place in the story is the least likely to go anywhere.

no, it doesnt. It is masterfully done and you cant change the timing without reworking the flow of the story nearly completely

I was going to post just that.

Nomura should surprise us and re-create the feeling of shock by having a Sephiroth clone show up and kill Aerith right in the middle of the Honey Bee Inn.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Jesus no. You don't change something like that, its a pivotal part of the story.

Why would it need to be changed? It's an iconic moment, perhaps the most iconic moment in the series history. Among all the things that could/might change, I strongly suspect her death and its place in the story is the least likely to go anywhere.

The game loses it's impact when people already know the details of the death and too many people talk about it online.

IF REMAKE is suppose to draw in the younger, never played FF7 crowd, than those details have to be tweaked, as they most likely heard and saw everything related to the death.

I'm not saying to retcon the death(far from it), but nowadays its thrown around the same way Empire Strikes Back's plot twist is thrown around and it ruins the moment for newer fans.

no, it doesnt. It is masterfully done and you cant change the timing without reworking the flow of the story nearly completely

Jesus no. You don't change something like that, its a pivotal part of the story.

Did people post spoilers all about the death in 1997? Were Browsers and the Internet as culturally ubiquitus as they are now?
I don't like it one bit, but there has to be something that separated REMAKE from FF7.

Fehyd

Banned
The game loses it's impact when people already know the details of the death and too many people talk about it online.

IF REMAKE is suppose to draw in the younger, never played FF7 crowd, than those details have to be tweaked, as they most likely heard and saw everything related to the death.

I'm not saying to retcon the death(far from it), but nowadays its thrown around the same way Empire Strikes Back's plot twist is thrown around and it ruins the moment for newer fans.

Could push it back. Have her left the city of the ancients already and killed at a different point. Or maybe she had to go to a different location because the city wasn't letting her talk to the planet.

Zukuu

Banned
I think Ni No Kuni's world map looks awesome! That's the reason I may pick the game up even tho I have no interest in it otherwise. I fucking love world maps.

latest

ninokunireview6.jpg

Lemondish

A remake is not about trying new things. It is giving fans of the game an updated spin on a game. Small tweaks to the gameplay are welcome. Drastically altering the game to be nothing like the original is not a good move. If they were going to do that just make FFVII-2 or something.

I dont think I will even buy this if it is now an ARPG. No chance in hell. I already played the ARPG version of this universe. It was called Crisis Core and the combat fucking stunk.

Well, we've also already played the ATB version of this universe. It was called FF7 and the combat hasn't held up well over time.

Plus, why shouldn't a remake try new things? If you want to play FF7 without any changes, just do it. It's on nearly everything.

A remake SHOULD update the title to modern gaming standards, and that's a perfect time to engage a new vision.

RPGCrazied

Almost 70k likes on youtube trailer, 7.1 million views. Still can't understand why people would thumbs down this video. People that don't appreciate video games I guess.

Opening scene: Barrett and Cloud bomb the Mako reactor. Escape to 7th Heaven. Tifa turns on the news. Headline: Flower girl among those killed in deadly blast. Queue Aerith's theme.

Well, at the very least it would be shocking

Aegus

And? I've went into plenty of films knowing the twist (ESB, Sixth Sense, Seven) and it didn't ruin the enjoyment I had watching them.

RPGCrazied

Also. I wasn't inclined to buy the PC port on PSN when it comes out, cause I have enough versions. But now we are getting the remake, I kinda feel obliged to buy it. I want to vote with my wallet as they say.

Has there been any word on plans for the world map? Presumably it would be far too ambitious to switxh to an open world design a la XV, but one can't help but feel that a traditional world map would look very out of place amongst the new visuals

Given an allowed budget and staff, wouldn't an open-world design be ideal? The traditional world-map design always seemed like a way simulate an open-world given the limitations of old tech and resources.

It would feel quite awkward walking through a photorealistic, 3D environment like Midgar or Costa Del Sol when suddenly the camera would transition to an overworld map.

And? I've went into plenty of films knowing the twist (ESB, Sixth Sense, Seven) and it didn't ruin the enjoyment I had watching them.

The Death was a huge watershed moment in video games. It was around the time when people took story in games much more seriously(FF6 was only the beginning).

Having cursory information about that ruins any emotional resonance and ruins what made FF7 so incredible.

Nesther

So what if the VII PS4 port this winter comes with a demo of the VII remake? That'd really show everyone that they're making good progress.

RPGCrazied

So what if the VII PS4 port this winter comes with a demo of the VII remake? That'd really show everyone that they're making good progress.

Not getting that. lol

Might get an interview with information, slim chance we might see a few more screenshots. That's it I'm afraid.

schlynch

Well, we've also already played the ATB version of this universe. It was called FF7 and the combat hasn't held up well over time.

Plus, why shouldn't a remake try new things? If you want to play FF7 without any changes, just do it. It's on nearly everything.

A remake SHOULD update the title to modern gaming standards, and that's a perfect time to engage a new vision.

Because Square and especially Nomura weren't able to deliver a combat system nearly as good in all of the many tries that followed this era (ATB or comparable) and I really doubt they will manage to accomplish it this time.

Skilletor

There's nothing wrong with atb at its core.

fertygo

ATB still hold a lot potential, shame S-E keep shaking thing instead keep refining stuff like FFX-2 already shown how snappy and fluid ATB can be.

sohois

I've not played the game yet so I can't really comment, but even if type-0 is a lot more advanced than the original FF7, there's still an order of magnitude difference to what a PS4 FF7 might be pushing graphics wise, hence why there might still be some major dissonance.

However

I think Ni No Kuni's world map looks awesome! That's the reason I may pick the game up even tho I have no interest in it otherwise. I fucking love world maps.

Ni No Kuni was quite the looker and appears to have managed fine, based on what Zukuu is saying.

Given an allowed budget and staff, wouldn't an open-world design be ideal? The traditional world-map design always seemed like a way simulate an open-world given the limitations of old tech and resources.

It would feel quite awkward walking through a photorealistic, 3D environment like Midgar or Costa Del Sol when suddenly the camera would transition to an overworld map.

Well, it would be an ideal solution, but budget and time for something like that would be absurd. The FF7 world is incredibly massive, and already has a huge game that needs remaking aside from adding in a shit ton of extra work.

Because Square and especially Nomura weren't able to deliver a combat system nearly as good in all of the many tries that followed this era and I really doubt they will manage to accomplish it this time.

A LOT of people enjoy Kingdom Hearts' combat, it's one of the most defining/innovative aspects of the series - although this can't really be said about most other FF titles.

Nomura originally wanted a world map for Versus, but said it was kinda difficult to pull off on the hardware. Who knows, maybe he's able to pull it off now, when back in the PS1/X360, he couldn't.

We really gotta be open minded to how this could go down, and not so sure of how we THINK it will go down. FF fans have the habit of being wrong a lot of the time. I remember, when FFVII and FFVIII came out, fans were saying, "Yay, there's never going to be a medieval-set FF game ever again! It's sci-fi from here on out!!", and then we got FFIX. Square has the habit of making people eat their words. Hell, I even remember Kitase saying that despite the more actiony route some of the games are going, that doesn't mean turn-based/ATB is gone from the series, and it COULD make a return. It goes with the whole "change" thing. It's not change based simply on "evolution" of a certain style, more than change based on what's right for the game.

I can't confirm but my guess is UE4.

Thanks. I guess I am okay with this. I would prefer luminous, since it is built around a final fantasy game, but Unreal 4 seems like a big upgrade over Unreal 3.

KH3 even in the early footage looks less rough than FFXV, but I think that FFXV looks more graphically ambitious. I honestly expect FFVII to be up there with FFXV though.

Ni No Kuni's world map is beautiful (and coupled with the Hisaishi map theme, damn!). It think it stands as a shining example of how a modern game can still make a semi-traditional world map work.

I wonder if SE wants something so stylized for the remake though.

artsi

Well, it would be an ideal solution, but budget and time for something like that would be absurd. The FF7 world is incredibly massive, and already has a huge game that needs remaking aside from adding in a shit ton of extra work.

Yeah. The world map and all the smaller towns could definitely be feasible, but if you bring Midgar to the equation? I doubt it.
It alone could be a different zone that's more limited than the rest of the world. Places like Kalm, Wutai, Cosmo Canyon etc. aren't anything special compared to the towns in Witcher 3.

Then again, FFXV has huge cities also and I'm wondering my head off how they are integrating them in to the open world.

I want something like Witcher 3...Massive maps. Midgar can be its own thing. Then they can have a couple of big world maps. I would be happy with that.

I don't want the minuture world map with this...This is supposed to be a full remake, a full immersive world where you could travel in vehicles would always trump the table top map style in my opinion.

Zukuu

Banned
I want something like Witcher 3...Massive maps. Midgar can be its own thing. Then they can have a couple of big world maps. I would be happy with that.

I don't want the minuture world map with this...This is supposed to be a full remake, a full immersive world where you could travel in vehicles would always trump the table top map style in my opinion.
Please no. FF XII did "zones", and even if you would connect them, the world map would be fucking empty with nothing to see really.

World map or bust. Ò_Ó

Mendax

you must really be looking forward to ff15 then, right? (I am too)

After reading the engadget article, I'm certain this will be the most controversial square title ever released, if it wasn't destined to be already. It's heavily implied that it's a fairly loose remake. Imagine the story/game reduced to bullet points and a very basic outline of the plot progression.

Nomura should surprise us and re-create the feeling of shock by having a Sephiroth clone show up and kill Aerith right in the middle of the Honey Bee Inn.

Make it like the 'bucket of time' in Chrono Trigger. Once you beat the game you can new game + and basically decide when Seph shows up to kill her. Just automatically advance the story to the point at will and have him kill her during your date with Barret.

Said it before and I@ll say it again...it should be like FFXII...

all of the Dalmasca Estersand is one area rather than segmented and so on, that equivalent would work well for VIIR. I think it'd help to keep performance costs reasonable so they can hit 1080p/30fps etc.

No, I am describing a remake or ReMAKE or a REmake. Not a REmASTeR. I have full control of the english language and full control of my shift key. Radically changing the game is only going to anger the purists. It is like some people in this thread are asking for Star Wars Special Editions.

A remaster just improves the graphics/effects/IQ. I dont mind some tweaking of the gameplay. Just not a complete overhaul. I would have actually prefered a remaster. I dont think the game needed to be changed outside of graphics. PS1 games are notoriously ugly. But I would welcome some tweaks to the existing gameplay.

Ha, I'm not questioning your mastery of English, just suggesting that a remake (is bolding for emphasis less offensive to your typographical sensitivities than capitalization?) opens the possibility for a lot of change.

I don't think the sentence "They're remaking ff7 with action gameplay" is inherently contradictory as opposed to "they're remastering ff7 with action gameplay." While I totally get that you and others wouldn't like that level of change, I think the way they're announcing this specifically as a remake is to try and prep people for some substantial alterations, that's all.

you must really be looking forward to ff15 then, right? (I am too)

Count me in for that. World maps in the old style (such as Type-0 recently had) just feel totally out of place to me now that we can do better (like DQ8, FFXII, etc) and give the player a proper sense of scale at *all* times, instead of just when "inside" a location.

This is largely semantics, but I'd argue that what you're describing is a reMASTER, not a remake. ReMAKE suggests something creative as opposed to just polishing up. Of course how much leeway in the remaking is reasonable is a fair point for discussion.

remastering is touching up what is already there.
remake means to make it from scratch again.

i guess the word that *I* will use is REBOOT if this turns out too different.

Skilletor

I hate open world games. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom