• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aly

You will get balthier as a cameo in KH3 and like it. I just hope if they do put him in, they keep his awesome voice actor. XII has fantastic voice acting. Forget world reveals I want to know FF cameo reveals.

I would be cool with that, but like you said, just keep the voice actors due to how amazing they were.

ZenTzen

I like the idea, but I don't think they're intending on sticking to the original depiction of the character. I like the lonely, sudden, and brutal death he has in the original. It's brief, and it makes you think. Not everyone dies like a hero. I don't really like the overly dramatic one he was given later in Crisis Core, which I think is basically terrible. I'm sure the former isn't what's going to be in there though. They're going to add some stuff, and this is one of those things I imagine they're going to add to, rather than just altering it.

All I remember saying to Kitase was that they shouldn't shy away from the harsh things. They're always thinking about what their western fans want, and FF7 has a lot of little moments, which depicted today, would feel a little grim. They need to go for them, and not shy away because they're afraid of how people might react. People will appreciate this more.

All I know is, if Cloud still beats the hell out of Aeris, I'm taking credit for its inclusion.

i seriously hope they do that, like you, i think Zacks death from CC is pretty terrible, as well as a bunch of other issues i have with that game, they really need to show all those grim moments in the game and be as faithfull to the original work as they possibly can

how is zack optional? wasnt the whole character of cloud based on him having both his own and zack's memories, personality and whatnot..?

Cloud doesnt really have Zacks memories, is whole personality in the beginning of FF7 is basically a mix of his own and the idea of what he thought of Zack, he basically created this whole new persona based on his ideas, his own memories and the storys Zack told him, and if i remember correctly the JENOVA cells he has in him also facilitated in that process

Wazzy

Banned
I hope they keep it. Cloud beating Aerith (lol that moment always shocks me) being removed would be like them removing Celes's scene from VI.

I want them to keep it because it's a brutal scene. It's a sign something isn't right with Cloud and it also brings up the questions of Tifa not stepping in. It's also quite sad because Aeris knows pushing it will bring his breakdown so she pretends it doesn't happen.

I liked Zack's death CC, a bit overdone, but I was never a fan of his original death at the hands of like 3 regular dudes.

If Zack was a SOLDIER first class, I would imagine he could take on a few dudes. Also I like that he hides Cloud. Where as in FFVII the guys who killed Zack just left Cloud to die, big mistake guys.

SgtCobra

Hey, hey.

It's not incompetence. As it stands, things are great for SCE. Game is in development, and it's coming to PS4. Securing a big game isn't that simple. Square Enix also has to take a look at a lot of things, and what makes sense for them at the end of the day, is what's most sensible. Considering how far we are, and the nature of these things, we can amend things in the future, if it makes sense. But regardless of any of that, SCE is going to benefit the most from this game. FF is a Playstation franchise. SCE will get behind this in a huge way, and the marketing campaign for it will be big too. Regardless of whatever ends up being the most sensible option, SCE has already benefitted the most.

Securing big games takes a lot of cash, and simply doing it to appease fans for something as silly as "bragging rights" would be pretty stupid. Depending on what's involved, that support could be provided to bring another game from somewhere. Regardless of any of that, it's coming to PS4 first. That much can be assured. Beyond that, it's mostly SE's decision. But people shouldn't buy too much into the whole it has to be on PS4 only or whatever, in case they end up being disappointed in the future, as if it's some kind of personal offence.

SCE is really happy with things as they are. I see no reason why others need to be upset about it.
Hehe I was waiting for your reply <3
Yeah this is the confirmation I wanted, I was very interested in what this agreement between the two consisted of (I study this sort of stuff in college so contracts between multiple parties is something I work a lot with). What you said makes perfectly sense, why waste a lot of money on a game you know is going to sell for like 80% on your console anyway? The SFV deal for example was a very strategic move. Using money for marketing and whatnot is an even better strategy than buying full console exclusivity, I mean, by the time it comes out on the Xbox One only the people with one console will be mostly the ones who will buy it, it's also a JRPG which has a very particular audience.

The incompetence stuff was just a bait sorry haha, I like how they're treating the Japanese devs this gen nd I hope they continue to do so.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
ATB is flawed and it has nothing to do with the materia system. Though, there is the fact that materia does a shit job of scaling so there comes a point where Attack/LBs are a far better use for your time. That is a balance issue, though, and not an issue with the way the combat flows. Standing in a line with little tactical or strategic planning available is old hat and almost every FF since has improved on this. That is fact.

It wouldn't be too hard to re-balance FF7 with a modernized ATB.

Losy Odyssey certainly required strategy and I liked how it handled most things.

I hope they remake all of the compilation games, but handled by different developers.

Imagine a remake of Dirge of Cerberus.... Wait!! before you kill me for suggesting that....

... developed by
Naughty Dog

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - Remake.

Synopsis: Vincent must travel the uncharted depths of Midgar and uncover the secrets of Deepground. Joined by his cigar chopping buddy Cid, they venture forth looking to steal Materia with Yuffie, and uncover the hidden past of Shinra.

Nathan Valentine?

Vincent Drake?

No thank you. Uncharted can remain Uncharted.

Verendus

Banned
will the remake reboot the compilation? Making everthing that came before uncannon?
I don't know about that. We're getting into story details now that I simply wouldn't know. That kind of stuff is what only the key members in development would have any idea about right now. I'm not even sure what compilation stuff there is beyond the Crisis Core stuff that takes place before FF7. Was there anything?

It's kind of safe to say though that what they're making now is going to take precedence. With such a big project, you wouldn't really let yourself be tethered by too much unnecessary stuff. Needless headache really.

FFXV, also, can now be focused on as its own entity, and hopefully have people look at it as what it is rather than what they felt it could have been. And this game is actually coming soon, so there's something to be actually be excited for.

Very interesting post. Just curious what constitutes soon?

Nathan Valentine?

Vincent Drake?

No thank you. Uncharted can remain Uncharted.

Lol, I still think it would be more fun to play Dirge of Cerberus if it was a traditional third person shooter a la Gears or Uncharted.

A jokey wisecracking Vincent probably won't fly, I think it would be fun.. funny...

ZenTzen

I liked Zack's death CC, a bit overdone, but I was never a fan of his original death at the hands of like 3 regular dudes.

If Zack was a SOLDIER first class, I would imagine he could take on a few dudes. Also I like that he hides Cloud. Where as in FFVII the guys who killed Zack just left Cloud to die, big mistake guys.

that was the point, they find both of them and they kill Zack while he tries to protect Cloud, they then just go over him and just unload a full clip on Zack, i also liked how they didnt bother with cloud because of the stete he was in and how they didnt see him as a threat

the only part i liked of Zacks death in CC was the part where he gives the sword to him and then cloud screaming after realising Zack was dead

I don't know about that. We're getting into story details now that I simply wouldn't know. That kind of stuff is what only the key members in development would have any idea about right now. I'm not even sure what compilation stuff there is beyond the Crisis Core stuff that takes place before FF7. Was there anything?

It's kind of safe to say though that what they're making now is going to take precedence. With such a big project, you wouldn't really let yourself be tethered by too much unnecessary stuff. Needless headache really.

theres Before Crisis, the Turks game for phones, Cissnei from CC is a MC in that one

Verendus, any idea what direction they're heading with the battle system? I understand the need for modernization but my hope is that they at least remain faithful enough to the original that I won't be controlling only Cloud.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I played ffvii but never finished but holy shit cloud beat up areis, why was that important to the story?

Dark_castle

I think people forget that in CC, Zack is the main character of the game. Of course they're going to make his death be more memorable even if it does deviate from his more pathetic death in FFVII (first class soldier, killed by three random scrubs, wut).

He was taken out by three regular dudes(which I'm sure there were more than three, it's just that they were the only three we saw) because he got distracted and caught off guard, they left Cloud there because he seemed basically brain dead already.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked

To be fair Zack had spent years in a tube being experimented upon. He wasn't exactly doing regular training and his body was kinda messed up from all that. Then he had to drag Cloud across continents, fight Shinra dudes and monsters along the way, also Hollander and Genesis before arriving to that point.

Kain

When did Cloud beat up Aeris? I don't remember that and I've played the game countless times o_o

Guess how important I thought that was lol

Xpliskin

About the exclusivity debacle:

-Xbox is dead in Japan (PS4 is almost dead)
-In Europe, xbox is being outsold x:1 in all countries

A timed exclusivity is the best choice imo.

As the only major userbase this exclusivity impacts is the xbox NA one.

If FFXV is anything to go by, there will also be resolution differences.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
When did Cloud beat up Aeris? I don't remember that and I've played the game countless times o_o

Guess how important I thought that was lol
It was right after he gave Sephiroth the Black Materia for the first time. He loses it and and starts beating on the nearest available person which was Aeris.

SOLDIER already mentioned this idea several times, but SE should use this momentum and make an own Game for TIFA :)

video-games-Final-Fantasy-VII-Advent-Children-Tifa-Lockheart-_7808-59.jpg

her fighting scene in Advent Children was my highlight

First on PS4 so sales are going to be strongest on it automatically.

Unless your telling me millions of people will wait for it to be released on PC? Yeah totally, let's all sit around and wait an unknown amount of time till it's released on PC.

The only time I've ever seen a game sell more after the initial release was RE4, but that's a different story. Gamecube wasn't selling hot. the PS2 release was guaranteed to outsell it. Thank goodness nobodies heads were chopped off.

Yeah, FFVII: Re is something people want now, like right now. I know it is not a good idea to buy a console for just one game, but a game like FFVII: Re is huge enough for people to do something as crazy as that xP

AmanoBuff

I was expecting that and KH HD for PS4 at E3. Neither showed for whatever reason.

I was really expecting this as well. I'm guessing it will be announced (FFXII HD at least) at TGS with a release for late 2016.

Also Kagari, I know people don't care much about Vita, but do you know if XII HD is also coming there.

MilesTeg

Banned
Next year, huh? Is that just Japan or could we possibly assume a western date as well. If it hits Japan next year that is actually before the 20 year anniversary.

edit

So this could actually release before FFXV?

Kain

It was right after he gave Sephiroth the Black Materia for the first time. He loses it and and starts beating on the nearest available person which was Aeris.

Eeeeeeh that happens even if you don't have her in your group? Because I sure as hell don't remember that xD

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I was really expecting this as well. I'm guessing it will be announced (FFXII HD at least) at TGS with a release for late 2016.

Also Kagari, I know people don't care much about Vita, but do you know if XII HD is also coming there.

I don't, sorry. I only knew about SaGa and World of FF.

Valnen

SOLDIER already mentioned this idea several times, but SE should use this momentum and make an own Game for TIFA :)

her fighting scene in Advent Children was my highlight

And people told me I was crazy for wanting a spinoff Tifa action RPG. Her fight scene was easily on part with Cloud/Sephiroth. And she doesn't need to hide behind a giant sword.

Verendus

Banned
Verendus, any idea what direction they're heading with the battle system? I understand the need for modernization but my hope is that they at least remain faithful enough to the original that I won't be controlling only Cloud.
All I know is from planning long ago, and that was that it was going to become more action oriented. But that in itself, doesn't really mean anything. I haven't seen the battle system (or what they have right now), so I genuinely don't know what that could be. I, personally, haven't been expecting a full action based system overhaul, and am expecting some kind of evolution or hybrid thing. That's been my impression anyway.

That's speculation based on something from long ago, so it's probably not worth much right now. Especially since I've seen first-hand how FFXV went through some changes in that aspect. I'll know soon enough since I'll get a chance to see what they've been doing. Pretty curious on actually seeing this game, rather than just plans and concepts or whatever. It's been a really long time.

Audette

Yeah, FFVII: Re is something people want now, like right now. I know it is not a good idea to buy a console for just one game, but a game like FFVII: Re is huge enough for people to do something as crazy as that xP

o_O Why is that a bad idea? I bought a Wii-U for Xenoblade Chronicles X, that's not out yet.

All I know is from planning long ago, and that was that it was going to become more action oriented. But that in itself, doesn't really mean anything. I haven't seen the battle system (or what they have right now), so I genuinely don't know what that could be. I, personally, haven't been expecting a full action based system overhaul, and am expecting some kind of evolution or hybrid thing. That's been my impression anyway.

That's speculation based on something from long ago, so it's probably not worth much right now. Especially since I've seen first-hand how FFXV went through some changes in that aspect. I'll know soon enough since I'll get a chance to see what they've been doing. Pretty curious on actually seeing this game, rather than just plans and concepts or whatever. It's been a really long time.

That's my guess as well. Thanks for all the info man. So jealous that you are going to see this.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
That will be an interesting yet controversial scene.....i hope its left in but i can see them switching it to a male character

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm pretty sure he was still under Sephinova's control, not just having a fit.
I just played through that like yesterday I think? I dun think he was under any control after giving over the materia since Cloud was all like "whats going on what have I done??" but I dunno its open for interpretation either way!

Eeeeeeh that happens even if you don't have her in your group? Because I sure as hell don't remember that xD
Aeris has to be in your party because she absolutely has to go to the Temple of the Ancients. Your third party member is standing way up above them on ground level where the temple used to stand so if anyone was due for a beating it wasn't them.

Audette

By the time a new KH and or FFXII is Announced, they will probably be able to put it on tablets too haha

I would by FFXII on tablet (or Vita but I'm using that less and less recently)

And people told me I was crazy for wanting a spinoff Tifa action RPG. Her fight scene was easily on part with Cloud/Sephiroth. And she doesn't need to hide behind a giant sword.

Yes.
With an talented studio on its back i could see a big potential for this character. Maybe Platinum Games, since they are working on every game nowadays

that was the point, they find both of them and they kill Zack while he tries to protect Cloud, they then just go over him and just unload a full clip on Zack, i also liked how they didnt bother with cloud because of the stete he was in and how they didnt see him as a threat

the only part i liked of Zacks death in CC was the part where he gives the sword to him and then cloud screaming after realising Zack was dead

He was taken out by three regular dudes(which I'm sure there were more than three, it's just that they were the only three we saw) because he got distracted and caught off guard, they left Cloud there because he seemed basically brain dead already.

To be fair Zack had spent years in a tube being experimented upon. He wasn't exactly doing regular training and his body was kinda messed up from all that. Then he had to drag Cloud across continents, fight Shinra dudes and monsters along the way, also Hollander and Genesis before arriving to that point.

See, that makes sense if you think about it. With this context, I can understand why he died to three dudes after.

I just believe that Zack wouldn't have been caught off guard by three guys. The whole army vs Zack (Zack's Last Stand), while a bit over the top, justifies his death to me, because he fought off around 1000 right before the last three gunned him down.

The best part of the original FFVII version of Zack's death is how cold blooded it is.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Rewatched the trailer, and man, as awesome as it looks I can't help but wonder if it will get released in the next 5 years. The CG quality is right up there with Advent Children, however the amount of content required is tenfold. And that doesn't even include the actual gameplay, which we haven't seen.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yes.
With an talented studio on its back i could see a big potential for this character. Maybe Platinum Games, since they are working on every game nowadays
I've said it before an I'll say it again: give it to the Yakuza team! Wander around Edge beating the crap outta thugs an such with flashy HEAT Limit Break moves!

Wazzy

Banned
That will be an interesting yet controversial scene.....i hope its left in but i can see them switching it to a male character
Eh, I don't think it's that controversial. It's a dark scene that is meant to be seen as something wrong.

Now Cids abuse angle is something I can see them changing and I'm fine with that. Have him bitter but not abusive.

Audette

I find myself wondering if they will do something to the title to signify it's the remake. A subtitle maybe or kingdom hearts style, "Re:Final Fantasy VII"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom