• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a classic mode available right now. It's FFVII on PS1 Classics.

chris-pratt-gif-2.gif

NahaNago

I made this post in the other thread that got locked, which I intended to use to spur additional discussion, but well...

Looking at games such as Ys III to Oath in Felghana, KH: Chain of Memories GBA to the PS2 Re:Chain of Memories, The Sega CD Lunar 1 and 2 to the PSX Lunar 1 and 2 Complete Editions, Seiken Densetsu 1 (i.e Final Fantasy Adventure for the GB) to Sword of Mana on the GBA, and even Resident Evil from the PSX to the Gamecube version.

I think most of these remakes were well received because they they resembled the original games they were based on in a reasonable fashion instead of overhauling them into something that alienates what was there in the original game or at least maintained some similarities to another more recent game in the series in general.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect FF7's Remake to follow along line the list of games I've mentioned comparatively from their original versions to the remakes.

Final Fantasy may be about changes and trying new things. However this would make sense with an entirely new game. I would think the concept of a "Remake" is to capture the appeal and aspects that made the original game enjoyable to begin and expand on that, make it better, improve it, minimize the negative aspects of the original and highlight the positives instead of outright abandonment and making it something nearly unrecognizable.

I agree but times have changed concerning jrpg's unfortunately. Those jrpg games don't really fit in with gaming of today and would be hard to get mass appeal for it. So this game is gonna be more like a whole new company tackling the ff7 book and making a whole new video game out of it based off of the tastes and views of this time period.

duckroll

I think most of these remakes were well received because they they resembled the original games they were based on in a reasonable fashion instead of overhauling them into something that alienates what was there in the original game or at least maintained some similarities to another more recent game in the series in general.

Oath in Felghana does not in any way resemble the original game in a reasonable fashion. There is zero similarity in the pace or mechanics of the gameplay. Anyone who really, really loved Ys3's gameplay and wanted something similar but updated would not find it in Oath. Instead the game bares the most resemblance to, as you said, the most recent game in the series at the time - Ys6.

In the same way, it would not be surprising then, for the FFVII remake to have more similarities with the most recent game in the series, FFXV, than the game it is remaking.

Two Words

Oath in Felghana does not in any way resemble the original game in a reasonable fashion. There is zero similarity in the pace or mechanics of the gameplay. Anyone who really, really loved Ys3's gameplay and wanted something similar but updated would not find it in Oath. Instead the game bares the most resemblance to, as you said, the most recent game in the series at the time - Ys6.

In the same way, it would not be surprising then, for the FFVII remake to have more similarities with the most recent game in the series, FFXV, than the game it is remaking.

I still say it would be really disappointing if all 3 of Square Enix's AAA Japanese games were action RPGs that were becoming more and ore homogenized. Especially so when you consider the success of Bravely Default.

Biker19

Banned
I will forever believe FFVII and X have absolutly NO connection. Nothing was ever said as "these games ARE connected" just that the authors have mused about how they could connect them. I think its silly that just because a characters name is the same as a future company on a different planet we somehow need to make a connection between them. Are we to assume all Cid's, Wedges and Biggs are connected also?

I say we just chaulk this up to something as silly as the Tommy Westphall Universe Theory.

I wonder what it would be like if we had something like a FF VII & a FF X crossover game?

I don't think it's unreasonable to have an option to disable voice acting. No harm having options.

I hope that they give us a dual audio option in case the English voice acting turns out to be sub-par.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still say it would be really disappointing if all 3 of Square Enix's AAA Japanese games were action RPGs that were becoming more and ore homogenized. Especially so when you consider the success of Bravely Default.
If anything battle innovations would be moving away from homogenization. There have been many classic style RPGs.

KH3 and FFXV actually play nothing alike anyway. Don't think they should be lumped in together as "homogenized action RPGs" anyway. I wouldnt even call XV an action RPG.. You've played the demo right? Aside from traversal you're still primarily issuing commands.

Whenever Square has done new experiments in battle systems, XII, LR and XV, I've enjoyed them. I want more of that kind of innovation... Not necessarily a Secret of Mana/KH direct control style.

Two Words

If anything battle innovations would be moving away from homogenization. There have been many classic style RPGs.

KH3 and FFXV actually play nothing alike anyway. Don't think they should be lumped in together as "homogenized action RPGs" anyway. I wouldnt even call XV an action RPG.. You've played the demo right? Aside from traversal you're still primarily issuing commands.

Whenever Square has done new experiments in battle systems, XII, LR and XV, I've enjoyed them. I want more of that kind of innovation... Not necessarily a Secret of Mana/KH direct control style.

If the remake plays like something like KH and FFXV, then it is definitely homogenization

Personally, I'd rather Kingdom Hearts be a full on action RPG game like the other games. Make the best ARPG you can make.

Make FFXV a blend of action RPG and attack-selecting RPG. It does look interesting what they are doing with the game.

Make FFVII Remake a totally new rendition of the older ATB battle system. I don't want it to play like FFVII outright or anythign like that. I still want it to be some sort of ATB game, but as a game that takes advantage of the hardware. FFVII was a revolutionary game in its day, largely because of the technology allowing them to go 3D. I'd like them to make an ATB game revolutionary again using the better hardware..

And if the Japanese voice acting is sub-par?

You'll never know. That's the nice thing about listening to Japanese voice acting with subtitles. Every line sounds like it is delivered perfectly because you don't know Japanese.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yay, 2015 replay complete! Just under 54 hours an as close ta 100% as can be! The ending still makes me tear up!

How cool would it be if FF7:R's credits were like Sonic Generations? Running videos of stuff from FF7,
Ehrgeiz
, AC, BC, CC, DoC, and G-Bike?! That'd be a nice lil tribute to this long long train ride we been on!

Emerald weapon was the most challenging boss in FFVII.
Hmm, I always feel like Ruby is worse. Can really only fight it with 1 party member with some pretty specific setups. Can't really reap the 50,000 AP reward from it either due to less party members living through the battle an less materia slots ta go around. At least Emerald battles are kinda flexible & rewarding. Diving down into the sea and ending up right near it totally unprepared still makes me panic! Whereas Ruby's just uh poking its tail outta the desert sand not really being threating at all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If the remake plays like something like KH and FFXV, then it is definitely homogenization

Personally, I'd rather Kingdom Hearts be a full on action RPG game like the other games. Make the best ARPG you can make.

Make FFXV a blend of action RPG and attack-selecting RPG. It does look interesting what they are doing with the game.

Make FFVII Remake a totally new rendition of the older ATB battle system. I don't want it to play like FFVII outright or anythign like that. I still want it to be some sort of ATB game, but as a game that takes advantage of the hardware. FFVII was a revolutionary game in its day, largely because of the technology allowing them to go 3D. I'd like them to make an ATB game revolutionary again using the better hardware..
I'd enjoy an evolved ATB. Maybe you could have combat like in X-2 but on the overworld.

OmegaDL50

True, however the story and general dungeon settings / plotline for both Ys III and Oath were fairly close, outside of that Oath playing more like the traditional overhead Ys game.

I think if FF7 Remake at least kept all of the locations and story concepts the same as the original game but it's combat mechanics were similar to FFXV but with the inclusion of full party control, I could grudgingly accept that.

Looking at the control scheme for Duscae it seems L2 and R2 aren't assigned to anything. So maybe, R2 switch to next character, and L2 switches to previous character to control. And tapping it multiple times will cycle through your currently controlled character in the party.

Yay, 2015 replay complete! Just under 54 hours an as close ta 100% as can be! The ending still makes me tear up!

How cool would it be if FF7:R's credits were like Sonic Generations? Running videos of stuff from FF7,
Ehrgeiz
, AC, BC, CC, DoC, and G-Bike?! That'd be a nice lil tribute to this long long train ride we been on!

Hmm, I always feel like Ruby is worse. Can really only fight it with 1 party member with some pretty specific setups. Can't really reap the 50,000 AP reward from it either due to less party members living through the battle an less materia slots ta go around. At least Emerald battles are kinda flexible & rewarding. Diving down into the sea and ending up right near it totally unprepared still makes me panic! Whereas Ruby's just uh poking its tail outta the desert sand not really being threating at all.

Ruby only uses Quicksand if 2 or more characters are active in battle. Simply entering the fight with two characters in KO status gets around that issue. Especially if you use Life 2 immediately once Ruby sticks his arms into the ground and then you just start spamming W-Summon Bahamut Zero + Quadra Magic.

Ruby countersattacks KOTR with Ultima, so using W-Summon Quad Magic B.Zero is one way to consistently do high damage and not get shot in the face with Ultima.

Also Ruby has high physical resistance. So just spamming with spells is the way to go.

Emerald is more dangerous though due to Aire Tam Storm. That attack does 1111 damage times the number of Materia a character has equipped. And he always counters KOTR with this move.

So 9 or more Materia equipped is basically a guaranteed KO unless you have Final Attack + Life 2 or Phoenix setup.

Valus

But it doesn't have the updated graphics. That's the biggest reason for the remake in the first place.

Listen to the trailer guy, and read Nomura's thoughts regarding bringing the game to current consoles. There are going to be changes, some you may like, some you may not. But regardless, just rejoice that it is coming. Is that not good enough?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
All the FFX-2 talk in this threads making me feel like I oughta start my long over due play of it just ta see what all the fuss with the battle system is about! Really hoping its not an all action-mashy type of system. I can play turn-based rpgs for houuuuuurrss an not burn out. But action rpgs? Even my beloved .hack games will drain my playin' energy way quicker.

Ruby only uses Quicksand if 2 or more characters are active in battle. Simply entering the fight with two characters in KO status gets around that issue. Especially if you use Life 2 immediately once Ruby sticks his arms into the ground and then you just start spamming W-Summon Bahamut Zero + Quadra Magic.

Ruby countersattacks KOTR with Ultima, so using W-Summon Quad Magic B.Zero is one way to consistently do high damage and not get shot in the face with Ultima.
When Ruby pulls its arms outta the ground it can use Quicksand though? Maybe I'm just a big screw up x_x; I didn't bother with Bahamut Zero, just W-KotR mimicing @ HP Absorb!

Emerald is more dangerous though due to Aire Tam Storm. That attack does 1111 damage times the number of Materia a character has equipped. And he always counters KOTR with this move.

So 9 or more Materia equipped is basically a guaranteed KO unless you have Final Attack + Life 2 or Phoenix setup.
I didn't have Final Attack at the time I fought Emerald an I loaded everyone up with materia ta harvest the sweet sweet AP reward, with double/triple growth equips at that! I musta got lucky this time around cause it didn't get off more than a couple of attacks? Maybe it was to slow to counter!

OmegaDL50

There one change in FF7 Remake, I think I might enjoy. Although I'm not sure if he has combat skills or is able to fight, but having Reeve possibly replace Cait Sith as a Human party member might be interesting. Or at least that being an option somehow during a point in the game.

Isn't Reeve basically controlling Cait Sith remotely. I believe there is a scene in FF7 in which Cait Sith uses himself as bait and is blown up or something only to appear like 5 minute later unharmed in the Ancient Temple. I think they could handle it the way the Galuf / Krille situation was handled. Basically two different characters but share an identical moveset and similar stats, just change Reeve's limit breaks to make him a bit more unique. He could be like the Edgar of FF7, using various robotic gadgets and tools. I think having a Cait Sith bomb as a limit might be interesting. In which he summons one of his robots and detonates it ontop of the enemy.

Also they can still have the scene with Reeve being kidnapped by Scarlet and Heideggar intact by having him leave your party temporarily during the events and you rescue him when you raid Midgar and take down the Proud Clod, since that whole thing happens in short period of time anyways.

As for a weapon for Reeve, why not something like Lulu has in FFX, except replace it when miniature drones.

I mean you figure Reeve being an employee for Shinra he have access to some tools from Shinra's Weapon Development division, I mean he already has access to giant remote controlled robots that look like a stuffed animal. So miniaturized combat drones would work.

duckroll

yep. they care about consistency.

we don't give a fuck so who knows who'll voice cloud in English.

Wut. Steve Burton has voiced Cloud in every single appearance ever. Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, Dissidia, and Dissidia 012.

yep. they care about consistency.

we don't give a fuck so who knows who'll voice cloud in English.

Maybe in the early days VAs changed on the turn of a dime, but Steve Burton has been Cloud since 2005 with 8 appearances. Most Square Enix VAs remain consistent. The voice actress for Yuna, Heady Burress, back in 2001 was the same in 2011.

Wut. Steve Burton has voiced Cloud in every single appearance ever. Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, Dissidia, and Dissidia 012.

i wasn't referring to FF7 specifically.
but that is good to know they've stuck with the same actor. Steve burton must be a cool guy.

Ehrgeiz

Is there anyway to be Ruby without Dazers?

OmegaDL50

I've never used 'em so apparently yes!

Why the MP Absorbs? Mime magic/summon casting is free of charge!

Actually KOTR cost 250MPfor the initial cast. so with W-Summon that's 500MP just to start the chains.

Also HP and MP Absorb are good for free heals. It allows you to replenishing your HP and MP instead of having to waste a turn using Potions / Ethers.

And since the fights you generally need KOTR for anyways such as the super bosses, it is advisable to have maxed out HP and MP anyways.

-Ryn

Banned
If I recall correctly wasn't the dramatic pause thing a problem with like... everyone from Dissudia?

It was due to lip synicing or something yeah?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Actually KOTR cost 250MPfor the initial cast. so with W-Summon that's 500MP just to start the chains.

Also HP and MP Absorb are good for free heals. It allows you to replenishing your HP and MP instead of having to waste a turn using Potions / Ethers.

And since the fights you generally need KOTR for anyways such as the super bosses, it is advisable to have maxed out HP and MP anyways.
Unless I completely zoned out an wasn't paying attention the person first summoning does need the 500 mp but using Mime takes no mp, not for the other party members or the original one casting it. Unless the chains broken ya don't at all need ta restore mp. I musta got lucky an not had my chain broke on either fight this time around!

Also I just remembered Sephiroth never got a chance ta use Supernova. I feel bad for not letting it happen, ya should always see it at least once per fight with him lol.

I've never used 'em so apparently yes!

Why the MP Absorbs? Mime magic/summon casting is free of charge!

If I recall correctly, If a character dies, somewhere in the Mime cycle, they need MP to cast KotR again. Also for some odd reason I remember it helping a lot.

Also W-Summon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom