• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
If it was up to me, there'd be some fun hallucinatory conversations between Cloud and Sephiroth.

He can get in Cloud's head. I'd want to play with that.
You mean like the Scarecrow sections in Arkham Asylum except everything's on fire? Or do you mean as a cutscene?

Turin

Banned
You mean like the Scarecrow sections in Arkham Asylum except everything's on fire? Or do you mean as a cutscene?

Cutscenes. And not too many of them(it's easy to go overboard with that kind of thing). With what I have in mind, Seph wouldn't necessarily just be fucking with him. At least not in the obvious sense. He might just want to talk at some point.

In any case, I'm just curious what they'll do with Cloud and his psyche.

-Ryn

Banned
Cloud is mentally a teenager, anyway. His mental faculties and growth was practically stunted for 5 years straight.

And a hypothetical relationship between them would be both legal and common in my country so I don't really think about it much.
giphy.gif

Out of curiosity what country do you live in?

Cutscenes. And not too many of them(it's easy to go overboard with that kind of thing). With what I have in mind, Seph wouldn't necessarily just be fucking with him. At least not in the obvious sense. He might just want to talk at some point.

In any case, I'm just curious what they'll do with Cloud and his psyche.
That would definitely be cool. It's a fine line to walk but I would love to see more of what's happening in Cloud's head. Also maybe we'll get to know who the mystery voice that occasionally talked to Cloud was. I eventually thought it was Zack. Has that been confirmed yet?

I'd like to see more cutscenes, too. Part of the reason I like Crisis Core so much is that we got to see the more character driven moments. I especially liked witnessing Sephiroth's progression from who he was to who he became in FFVII. I'd love to see more of him in the remake. Those of you who suggested even to see him toying with Cloud's mind - that would be very cool.

There is a great opportunity here to expand upon FFVII here while still honoring the source material, and I hope they take some liberties to flesh out the story and moments even more.

Being able to revive her under any circumstance is unnecessary fan service. A major part of the impact of her death was that it was final. There was no way to bring her back. That's why years after the games released you had to trying to find ways to bring her back as well as countless bogus rumors about how to actually do it.

Tuffty

Sequels to JRPG's always go down the route of resurrecting characters who already died, FF series being no exception and I always found it a cheap method of fan wish fulfillment. I hope they don't go down the route of reviving Aerith.

Quocia

Neo Member
Yeah, FFX-2 was a bit of a let down (and they didn't even bother finding a real reason for this).

It will be a bit weird for me to no longer have pre rendered backgroud. I hope there'll still be a ps1 game touch somehow

Pagusas

Elden Member
i'm honestly surprised it wasn't a a long process of reviving her option in the original.

There were little hints of something that could have turned into it, but I'm glad there was never a way to do it. Death needs to mean something, otherwise there are no stakes to anything.

Shinrin

Unconfirmed Member
Being able to revive her under any circumstance is unnecessary fan service. A major part of the impact of her death was that it was final. There was no way to bring her back. That's why years after the games released you had to trying to find ways to bring her back as well as countless bogus rumors about how to actually do it.

It was the same for General Leo in FFVI. All the rumors to revive him as well.

You can actually glitch the game to keep him though.

i'm honestly surprised it wasn't a a long process of reviving her option in the original.

The narrative proceeds forward with the idea that Aerith's death motivates the crew to hate Sephiroth more and to see to his demise. It was a powerful plot device and watershed moment in video games, especially in 3D.

Changing everything short of her death(such as the ability to revive her) makes FF7 something it isn't. Changing when, how, and why would be much more palatable, as those details are forever spoiled.

DLC presenting a "What If" extra scenario where the party COULD revive Aerith may be much more palatable as well.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It seems like Japanese gamers want to be able to save Aeris in the remake.
Can't find GK's source though (French) link

Only a few hundred people took part in this poll in one website.

I think it would really destroy the entire game if it was ever considered, but i don't think Nojima would worry about that. Her death was planned in the very early stages as the main driving force for the events of the game. Getting over a major character's death was intended to be the theme

Ikael

Oh God, this ff7 love triangle heated debate has made my pimples reappear and Linking Park to pop into my playlist again. Are you happy now, bringing my teenager years back? YOU HAPPY NOW???

Silliness aside, I consider the romantic aspect of ff7 in the same vein as the Persona dating options. There's an overaching plot and hints towards certaing pairings, but in the end a big part of the game's charm resides in giving the player control of its romantic aspect, thus making the players far more attached to said choices and characters (see also how heated this debate can get).

This is one of the things that I want to see out of this remake: more dating options, more waifus, more Barret-esque dates of hilariousness, more people jumping at each other's troath in forums claiming how Jessie inclusion into the dating pool changes the game forevar, MOAR INSANITY, MOAR. And changes in the game's ending due to that, of course. Aerith's resurrection? Sure, why not. We need to trow this beloved fandom of mine into full rage overdrive
pls dont do it S-E

aly

Reviving Aerith would be dumb, but I do feel the pain of the people who wanted to keep her in the party just for her limit breaks.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've given up trying to remember which is correct. Our confusion will remain for ALL time until the remake is in our hands!
The supplementary material confirms that the official localization has been Aerith in every game since Kingdom Hearts was released.

Also, a way to save her? No way. DLC to keep her in your party in a non-canon form? Maybe... it would give her limit breaks a chance to shine.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yup, l wouldn't mind if they made it possible to still use her for battles after you completed the game once.
Star Ocean 4 did this
when Faize leaves and is replaced with Arumat. On a second playthrough you can choose to keep Faize, although Arumat still appears in cutscenes.
So it's not unheard of.

I can't help but feel the people who want to revive Aeris don't understand the significance of her death. And I'm not talking about the emotional impact that watching her be killed had on us back then either.

She intended to die. She understood Sephiroth's plan to become god by creating a catastrophic event that would force the planet to gather the souls of everything living in order to protect itself and she beat him to the punch. By becoming one with the lifestream, she effectively used her power as the sole survivor of the Cetra to influence the lifestream and prevent the destruction caused by Meteor. She became the goddess of the planet and saved everyone. That's understood, right? If she didn't die, then everything else on the planet would have. She can't be revived without completely undermining the entire plot of the game.

Also, that's why I refuse to call her anything but Aeris. Heiress? Get it?

BreakAtmo

I can't help but feel the people who want to revive Aeris don't understand the significance of her death. And I'm not talking about the emotional impact that watching her be killed had on us back then either.

She intended to die. She understood Sephiroth's plan to become god by creating a catastrophic event that would force the planet to gather the souls of everything living in order to protect itself and she beat him to the punch.

Um, no. It's been explicitly explained by the creators that she did not intend to die, and in fact her death was specifically intended to be the opposite of 'heroic sacrifices' so frequently seen in other games.

DeSolos

doc-rivers.gif

Are people serious when they suggest this?

I think it would be an interesting option to be able to save Aerith in exchange for someone else, like Tifa. Yeah it would basically be a different game at that point, but honestly, not THAT much happened after Aerith died anyway.

It would be cool if whoever you dated died at the forgotten capital.

Or maybe Cloud gets killed, and you play as Aerith for the rest of the game.

Walpurgis

Banned
I hope they change the story. If people want the old one they can play that. The story has already been spoiled for new players (at least the Aerith part).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope they change the story. If people want the old one they can play that. The story has already been spoiled for new players (at least the Aerith part).

There's a difference between changing game elements of 20 years ago, and changing the entire crux of the plot, which is to have this person who is intricately connected with the lifestream die and become one who watches over everyone on the planet.

I think it would be an interesting option to be able to save Aerith in exchange for someone else, like Tifa. Yeah it would basically be a different game at that point, but honestly, not THAT much happened after Aerith died anyway.

It would be cool if whoever you dated died at the forgotten capital.

Or maybe Cloud gets killed, and you play as Aerith for the rest of the game.

According to Nomura and Nojima, Tifa was created specifically to hold Cloud together and take up the role of heroine after Aerith died.

That would kind of fly in the face of that entirely.

Um, no. It's been explicitly explained by the creators that she did not intend to die, and in fact her death was specifically intended to be the opposite of 'heroic sacrifices' so frequently seen in other games.

Well, that was my interpretation. I haven't read what the developers have said about it after the fact. But regardless, her death still has the same effect whether that was her intention or not and she does become the savior of the planet. So, everything else I said I still stand by.

SolVanderlyn

Still find it a little hard to believe that this remake is actually happening. I get my daily mini mindfuck seeing this thread.
This year has been totally insane. FFVII-R, RE2-R, Shenmue III, Star Ocean V, DQXI Console AND 3DS, playable demo of what used to be vaporware (Episode Duscae), etc.

The world is going to experience some sort of cataclysmic event preventing all of this from coming to pass. There has to be some sort of negative component to all of this. It's all too good to be true.

Also, on the walky talky comment above, that actually brings up a pretty good point. Will Cloud and co. still use old 90's cellphones (PHS) to swap party members?

Garlador

This year has been totally insane. FFVII-R, RE2-R, Shenmue III, Star Ocean V, DQXI Console AND 3DS, playable demo of what used to be vaporware (Episode Duscae), etc.

The world is going to experience some sort of cataclysmic event preventing all of this from coming to pass. There has to be some sort of negative component to all of this. It's all too good to be true.

Also, on the walky talky comment above, that actually brings up a pretty good point. Will Cloud and co. still use old 90's cellphones (PHS) to swap party members?

You left out Nier 2, Virtue's Last Rewards 3, and confirmation of The Last Guardian's 2016 release as well.

It's been a bonkers year all around. Absolutely love it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Make it so Aerith dies, and then her twin sister, Aeris shows up ala Beerfest. And you just pick up from there as if nothing happened.

Sounds like L4D

"Oh nooooo, our comrade-in-arms was brutally massacred by zombies, but wait, a few minutes later we found another survivor trapped in this closet who looks and sounds exactly like him but no one bats an eyelid"

Maou

Make it so Aerith dies, and then her twin sister, Aeris shows up ala Beerfest. And you just pick up from there as if nothing happened.
Secretly, Aerith was controlling Caith Sith the whole time. She did "die" in disc one, just not where you thought. Reeve was just a cover-up---you heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom