• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neff

Well fuck me I just watched the Gamersyde download and that was good.

So the ps4 hardware is capable of allowing us to explore a fully realized midgar, to appreciate its scale and hustle and bustle in new and amazing ways, and it appears that some people would rather this take place from a fixed perspective, mostly top-down, and regularly interrupted with random battles against monsters that spontaneously pop into existence. I'm sorry, but that is fucking absurd. I was there from the beginning too, but that is fucking absurd.

Overworld and battle play are both things I'd expect to see radically overhauled, but I think static cameras at the least are going to be crucial for framing iconic scenery and establishing scale. Much of the storytelling and symbolism in FFVII was achieved visually, after all.

So the words "Remake" across the screen at the end, followed by Adam Boyes calling it a "remake" did not resonate with you, and you formed the opinion that it's a sequel? Did you even watch it? lol

There's also the rather subtle clue that Midgar hasn't been trashed, too.

Carbonox

If Kagari is right and this is a SFV "PS4 and PC" deal with the PS4 release being timed exclusive, then you can assume Sony have invested significantly in the project, in which case you can also assume they will be doing everything they can to run a tight ship and get it out in good time.

That would be real nice. Didn't Squeenix also say the time is over for long drawn out development schedules and that they hope to knock things out quicker now? With Sony backing fingers crossed this is the case but I don't want to be overly optimistic as this is Squeenix we're talking about (as good as they've been on many fronts lately).

dramatis

Of all things I'm actually here defending Perfo's post, a lot of people seem insulted by the idea that FF7 would have to update its gameplay systems for the modern audience. If the remake is a full blown 3d game, I think Perfo is correct, because ultimately that game would be expected to sell to more than just the nostalgia crowd. I think it boils down to the style of game they're going to make. Since there's no gameplay shown there's not much we can determine about that anyway.

LOL.

Holiday 2017 if we're lucky. Probably 2018.
This is still optimistic lol

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
that referred to the very slow ATB & broken balance rather than the selecting actions from a menu (which imo doesnt make a game turn-based..)

FF7 (like most older Final Fantasy games) allowed you turn off ATB completely.

Which I did, so I can't really debate how "broken" the ATB was in that game.

Absolutely amazing news. Great to see Nomura is still valued at S-E too.

To those who are hoping this will be turn-based: while I sympathise with your wishes, I imagine they would have had Toriyama direct this instead if that were the case.

Aegus

The modern market will not respond well to a turn based rpg in 2017 guys. For the budget of this game, it needs to sell to people that haven't played the original. It can't pay for itself on nostalgia sales alone. It will need to look impressive to the current generation of young gamers, and that means it will not be turn based.

(I personally wouldn't mind that at all, though)

Someone better go tell Nintendo that their Pokemon games aren't going to sell anymore.

ChadM

Neo Member
You're kinda proving my point. This "crippled aged gameplay system" is still quite popular among many gamers.

So basically, you don't care about the gameplay in this video game?

Certain irony there, considering hardcore fans of the series originally complained that FF7 stressed cinematics over gameplay.

1: You're quoting the wrong guy, I never said "crippled aged gameplay" I buy Pokémon games like 12 year olds buy CoD.

2: I thought your point was that there was no game that would bring turn-based combat to a new generation of gamers.

3: I do care about gameplay, I want it to be enjoyable for me and I liked all of those combat systems I listed.

4: However with VII, Story, setting, characters > Gameplay in my opinion.

EDIT: This game came out when I was 6. Far too difficult for my little brain, watched my dad play it and absorbed the story. Didn't play it myself until I was like 11 or something so that may be why I don't fall into the "Original Hardcore Fan" camp.

If Kagari is right and this is a SFV "PS4 and PC" deal with the PS4 release being timed exclusive, then you can assume Sony have invested significantly in the project, in which case you can also assume they will be doing everything they can to run a tight ship and get it out in good time.
Of course this could be true. It's weird they used a different wording and not "console exclusive" or "for PS4 and PC" like they did with Street Fighter and World of Final Fantasy. Also didn't Verendus say that the crossover Square Enix game would be exclusive? He didn't say anything like that about the FFVII game.

Personally I don't care because I own both consoles. The wording isn't really clear though. I think a FFVII remake would sell better than the remaster of a mediocre FF title on Xbox. I guess we'll see.

Dark_castle

Ehm no thank you. The game need to be a remake, that is fully remade starting from scratch. Gameplay changed and more real time; no random encounters; open world, dynamic weather and day/night cycle; scenario rewritten and updated to match with the prequels and sequels published after the original ect.

If they want it to be a big hit, it must be a game the new generation of RPG players can appareciate.

Nah, FFVII remake don't need those. It just needs improvements to its gameplay without completely changing it while faithfully recreating its universe with updated visuals and such.

The modern market will not respond well to a turn based rpg in 2017 guys. For the budget of this game, it needs to sell to people that haven't played the original. It can't pay for itself on nostalgia sales alone. It will need to look impressive to the current generation of young gamers, and that means it will not be turn based.

Are you an expert on Japanese culture, and does this have something to do with pride?

It might be heresy to suggest, but I think if grinding and random battles are going to still be there, instituting some aspects of Bravely Default's tweaking encounter rates would be beneficial.

I really hope they don't mess around with the battle system too much. FFVII's turn-based combat is still glorious to this day. If they ditch that system in favour of leaning towards real-time action then I am not going to be a happy bunny.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
The modern market will not respond well to a turn based rpg in 2017 guys

Pokemon, Persona, and Fire Emblem would like to have a word with you.

And I seem to recall people saying the same thing about the original Final Fantasy 7 when it released 18 years ago.

Not completely. "Wait" mode in ATB stops the time when you have a list open (magic or item list). It doesn't stop the time on the main command menu.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Do we know this? Like has it actually been proven that people won't respond well to a turned based RPG?

With Nomura is in charge now and he is director of AC. Do you think Remake will be rated R? Because AC has dark tone in it and original game is very dark (and kind of violent)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

They paid for Versus too, look how that turned out. Unless they are doing development themselves, it won't be a tight ship. Squeenix does not run a tight ship.

Of course this could be true. It's weird they used a different wording and not "console exclusive" or "for PS4 and PC" like they did with Street Fighter and World of Final Fantasy. Also didn't Verendus say that the crossover Square Enix game would be exclusive? He didn't say anything like that about the FFVII game.

Personally I don't care because I own both consoles. The wording isn't really clear though. I think a FFVII remake would sell better than the remaster of a mediocre FF title on Xbox. I guess we'll see.

Yeah it probably is coming to Xbone eventually otherwise they would have been gloating big time, unless they consider the fact it's coming to PS4 before PC the more significant fact. Coming to Xbone means that Sony won't likely have any real hand in the game's production on any level so the chances of it slipping into Square-Enix development hell is much higher, also slightly longer development time and slightly downgraded graphics I guess.

Einbroch

Banned
Just crank up the speed 20% in combat, allow people to skip summon animations, and add Bravely Default's encounter tweaker to the game. Combat fixed.

It's sort of what is happening with Dissidia. Sony is helping with the game and it's coming out for arcades first

CHC

Do we know this? Like has it actually been proven that people won't respond well to a turned based RPG?

No it's just people saying that. Persona, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, XCOM, Divinity - all are relatively successful series with turn based gameplay. I'm not guessing one way or another if the remake will be turn-based but you can not really say that the market isn't going to go for it, especially when it's a remake to one of the most beloved games of all time. I don't think making it turn based would affect sales, really - people are going to buy it because, well, it's FFVII!

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Just crank up the speed 20% in combat, allow people to skip summon animations, and add Bravely Default's encounter tweaker to the game. Combat fixed.

If only you worked for Square Enix.

Really, this is the only thing that needs to be done to the battle system.

I think those being tough on the guy saying that the "modern market won't support a turn based game" are kind of missing the overall message. For proof of how much people enjoy this type of game, just look at how many were being made around the time FF7 came out and how many have been made in the last 5-10 years. It's a valid point of discussion. People might be more forgiving for a piece of nostalgia like FF7, and I think that's also a valid argument to be made.

But in general, I don't think there is a reason they keep the system EXACTLY the same.

Mendax

ATB was too slow to be meaningful. FFX-2 did this right.

Broken referred to balance. Could be super-op without a lot of effort which shouldnt be possible.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So it's the next day and I'm still in a state of disbelief this is actually happening. It's great that it's (most likely) coming to both PS4 and Xbone, if they keep the gameplay, systems and story in tact I will die happy.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I think those being tough on the guy saying that the "modern market won't support a turn based game" are kind of missing the overall message. For proof of how much people enjoy this type of game, just look at how many were being made around the time FF7 came out and how many have been made in the last 5-10 years. It's a valid point of discussion.

The reason so many turn based, Japanese style, RPGs were released during the PS1 era is because Final Fantasy 7 popularized the genre!

At least in the west, they were always popular in Japan.

sasliquid

I assume they're aiming for 2017 to coincide with the 20th anniversary, not that I trust Nomura in that regard

Also classic combat pls

The reason so many turn based, Japanese style, RPGs were released during the PS1 era is because Final Fantasy 7 popularized the genre!

At least in the west, they were always popular in Japan.

Popularized and saturated. I agree with your sentiment, FF7 made these games hugely popular in the West. My main point was the last 5-10 years. The market for this type of game is thin compared to what it was in 1997. In all regards, this type of throw-back probably transcends that. That doesn't necessarily negate the point that those type of games [turn-based RPGs] aren't hugely popular anymore, and I bet that Square is looking at ways to modernize it for this new audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom