• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's nonsense. Persona 5 is going to be turn-based and people are hyped as shit for that game. Not to mention there're other titles like South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Atelier games and upcoming SMTxFE. JRPG turn-based battle is a rare sight on console these days, true, and it's all the more reason why FFVII remake should retain its ATB system.

Insane how people are still so totally intolerant toward turn-based combat, you don't have to like it but that doesn't mean it shouldn't ever exist.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Are there any implications from this? I can't imagine Nomura completely copy-pasting the entire game's mechanics in a new engine. They must have some bigger things planned

This is pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if some re-imagining/modernization happens to certain systems/parts of the game. I don't really mind that, personally.

Final Fantasy V and VI be like.

WBXqCNt.jpg

Valor

That's why it's optimistic to believe in 2017 release. Ultimately whether or not they can hit that year is dependent on the kind of game they're going to remake it into. If, for instance, they do FF13-corridors for FF7R I would say SE Japan has the ability to do it. Ha.

I definitely agree. It really does depend on how much of the leg work has been done before the announcement, I think. If this has been started like even a year or two ago, even with a five year dev cycle it should be out within the next few years. As much as we joke about SE showing off stuff too early (Okay, it's not a joke, it's true) I highly doubt they did an announcement yesterday with close to 0% accomplished on the title.

But yeah, if we want a full open world the scale of the original and all the bells and whistles that come with it... it could definitely be a good while.

Shahed

Still reading through the thread. Loved seeing all the reactions. Gametrailers and some of the youtube vids were hilarious.

I'm still amazed this is happening and could barely sleep. Kinda worried about the battle system though. While I'm perfectly happy with playing ARPG's, i'd want full control of my paryt and an ATB system. Maybe something like a faster and more actiony version of FFX-2 while still holding all the reins

Kain

So, can we assume that Kitase, Nomura and Nojima pulled out from XV to do this? Maybe this has been in developement for a year and a half or so?

And I totally think Nomura is doing this full time, he doesn't need to be very involved in KH3 after all as Yasue & co. sure can develop the game by themselves.

Bluenoser

The materia system needs to be completely reworked. Every character essentially plays the same otherwise

Except for back row/front row dynamic, limit breaks, and base stat differences? I agree...

Also weapon availability and materia slot layout plays a large part in designing your party composition through the early game.

But yeah, any character can use any materia, same as in FF6 where any character could use any esper. But due to native stats, some characters are better at magic and some are better at melee.

I don't mind minor changes, but overhauls go against the point of a remake.

If they are going to add things to the game, I'd like for there to be more bosses and optional bosses (especially end game).

I'm picturing the trophy list and I can't see anything too challenging on there. It would be one of the easiest platinums ever, so they need to step up the difficulty, and put more objectives in the game (not the grindy type either like "earn 1,000,000 Gold Saucer points")

pLow7

This is pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if some re-imagining/modernization happens to certain systems/parts of the game. I don't really mind that, personally.

It has to. Them changing Positions wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

If they wanted to Copy/Paste, the could've easily outsourced it.

Reset

That's nonsense. Persona 5 is going to be turn-based and people are hyped as shit for that game. Not to mention there're other titles like South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Atelier games and upcoming SMTxFE. JRPG turn-based battle is a rare sight on console these days, true, and it's all the more reason why FFVII remake should retain its ATB system.
You're using niche series as an example which can barely reach 1m in sales. Except for south park which was only big because of the tv show.

Turn based rpg don't belong on home consoles anymore. It's a waste, if they decide to keep the battle sydtem

I'm fine with some elements of modernization. But I hope the base gameplay remains the same or is only tweaked.

Basically, making it flashier/more balanced/more difficult would be fine by me. But completely changing the battle system would be disappointing.

Also hoping that they keep in some of the funnier, campier story elements like the Honeybee Inn.

My memory is foggy, but, aren't base stats for characters pretty different? Lending certain materia to certain characters
Early on sure, but as you level up stats normalize and then there's the stat up items on top of that.

In practice the only difference between characters is their limit breaks and how their ultimate weapons affect their damage.

Kaizer

Banned

Yeah I feel the same, things like materia & summons will still be in the game, but the form in which they take could play out differently this time.

Valor

My memory is foggy, but, aren't base stats for characters pretty different? Lending certain materia to certain characters

They're super different, yeah. The thing is that there were grindable items that can raise your stats so you could essentially make every character the same stat-wise. However, playing it straight up with no boosters everyone was suited for different roles in combat.

Like how Vincent has one of the better magic stats on the team, I think only eclipsed by Cait Sith. Maybe Yuffie. I forget.

Technically each character had a "role" in combat, which is why Cid was mostly useless from a practical standpoint since his best stat was strength, and Cloud is a character you can't remove from your party and his strength stat eclipses poor Cid.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Known about this for three years now as SE is one of "my" clients. Still sad it's true. Waste of time and resources.

daveo42

Banned

Yes. Some are better suited for physical over magic and vice versa, while Cloud is the most balanced even if skewed a bit towards magic.

I wonder how much they would change the materia system. It's a little broken in spots, but it works well enough and holds up even now.

Compare the expected budget and sales of these games to FF7 remake.. If it got the sales of the games you mentioned, it'd be a disaster

Bradeh

Neo Member
If they change the battle system but keep the 'feel' the same I have no problem with it. The problem with the newer games is that all the original features feel netuered, it's a chore. The flashiness of the summons, limit breaks and spells were a big part of why I loved the ATB days.

Feichaw

Yeah, I can see that. If they're updating the graphics and gameplay, there's going to be natural and necessary changes.

I wonder what they will do with the materia system. For me, it was pretty much perfect back in the day, but I think they'll change it a bit to work with the new combat system, whatever they want it to be.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
maybe but where would it go? there is no audience for this on xbox. And I hink on PC not many people would buy it until its lowered to 15 bucks..

says who? ff7 sold nearly a million on steam and was just a dump of their ancient PC port with added DRM. i'm sure it would sell on xbone too.

No way. Nearly every one of those battle systems have been worse. Not only that, but they're responsible for the death of the vaunted "Final Fantasy feel" that everyone laments losing from the old titles.

You want one of those systems, go play a different game. There are plenty to choose from.

There's nothing wrong with, or outdated about, turn based combat. Bravely Default showed that not only can it still work and be improved, but there's still a market for it as well.

I don't need to play a different game, because Square, smartly, has stuck to continuing to innovate. Personally, I think XII's version of ATB was perhaps my favorite, and XV's combat from what we've seen is possibly the most exciting thing the series has done. If VIIR apes either of those, I'll be thrilled.

Old ATB can die in a fire, and I say that having played all of these games, since the beginning. It just isn't an exciting way to fight, and we've (rightly, IMO) mostly moved on from that.

FF7 took 3 years to develop.

REMAKE shouldn't take as long to make, should it?

That was back in the 90's when development cycles were more concise and most of the areas took place on pre-rendered backdrops. A full AAA budget RPG with full scale HD visuals and enviorments? Even if it's a remake of an existing game I'd be shocked to see this finished quickly unless it was in the oven for a while.

RuGalz

Can't wait but I hope they modernize the battle a bit. (at very minimum have shorter version of the summons lol) The amount of work that is needed for a full remake is going to be enormous, which I hope is the case and am willing to pay the full, regular price for the game. Please don't half ass it.

I'm curious to see if any of the Versus XIII people that were with Nomura got moved onto the FFVII remake as well - Akiyama, etc - or if they went to KH3/other projects instead.

Sagely

Got to admit, I shed a tear during that announcement. Seeing others react in a similar way is incredibly moving :')

The thought of that beautiful world and music fully realised with all the current-gen bells and whistles is truly wonderful. I'm curious about changes to the narrative, battle system and whatnot but will not be disappointed either way; the original turn-based combat would work just fine with Persona-style visual flair. What I really fell in love with all those years ago was the world.

I considered replaying FFVII, then thought it was a bad idea since I might burn out before the remake hits, then realised that this will probably take several years to arrive :(

daveo42

Banned
Three years?! It's been in development that long? And why do you think it's a waste BTW?

Probably the amount of work being poured into it that could have been focused on FXV and KHIII. Still, three years is a long time.

Known about this for three years now as SE is one of "my" clients. Still sad it's true. Waste of time and resources.

How long has it been in actual production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom