• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
"This application takes up around 4gb of memory. Over 8gb of free space is required to download it."

Well that plus $17 means no for my 16gb iPad.

dc89

Already installed. Time to play. I have never even tried FF IX.

FFIX is an incredible game.

Please let us know how it performs etc. As much as I really enjoy the FFVII-IX games I don't know how I feel about playing them on my phone or iPad. I just don't know how I'd get on playing a 60 hour plus game on that kind of device.

Pachimari

Oh wow, mine stopped installing at the end. I'm deleting games to have space for this one. I really need a 128gb iPhone next.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Could someone post those screens comparing the improved character models?

VDzrbWo.gif

alf717

"This application takes up around 4gb of memory. Over 8gb of free space is required to download it."

Well that plus $17 means no for my 16gb iPad.

With that file download size you would think the game used those hi res backgrounds from that one thread. I guess the CG is what eats up all that space.

Not sure why people are being caught off guard by the pricing considering the other 3d FF games but gonna need dat iOS compatibility info asap.

Even that doesn't do real justice though, as the PC version ALSO has a ground up floating point renderer as opposed to the seizuring fixed-point renderer of the PS1 hardware, plus proper perspective corrected texturing, which makes polygonal movement and animation way way smoother.

Silvawuff

How is the UI? Is it an overlay like FFVII mobile?

Also it's disappointing about the slow battle load times, that puts me on the fence for this.

Sylas

I don't think I understand what you're saying. They only just released a port just like this one on PS4. Why would their PC releases mean anything for PS4?

Because FF8 got a treatment similar to this and there hasn't been any hints about a PS4 release of that title. FF7 is unique because it has the remake coming out... eventually. These don't.

Boney

Banned
That sucks to hear...wonder if modders could address this?
The ATB is fundamentally broken in the game. Where it keeps filling while characters are casting or doing anything, so everything ends up queuing up and makes the ATB completely pointless.

Game is a cake walk so at the very least it will help random encounters where you just mash attack and will make casting spells bearable, so it's better than nothing.

Even that doesn't do real justice though, as the PC version ALSO has a ground up floating point renderer as opposed to the seizuring fixed-point renderer of the PS1 hardware, plus proper perspective corrected texturing, which makes polygonal movement and animation way way smoother.

Its amazing how much detail was lost by the PS1s crappy resolution.
You can barely make anything out.

I don't know why but I personally feel as though the PC models look very out of place from the rest of the artwork, and I can't help but feel as though the PS1 version does a better job of maintaining immersion because it's character models blend in better..

Genio88

It must be painful to play a game like this on the 4.7 inch iPhone display, and with that battery life also! Though i can't wait for the PC release, IX is definitely one of my favorites ones along with VII and VIII. Of course i wouldn't play it if it was like the original, high speed, no encounter mode and other "cheat" will help

Kenclops

Banned
SE stuff is usually designed for both. FFVII was.

I wish all their games where like that. My Ipad version of FF Tactics and Final Fantasy 3 aren't usable on my iphone. I might be down to pick this up, but only if the app is universal and I can play it on both.

This has a 20% discount if you all wait until tomorrow. Not sure why some people jumped on it today, but I guess saving approximately $3.60 doesn't matter to some peeps...

duckroll

Because FF8 got a treatment similar to this and there hasn't been any hints about a PS4 release of that title. FF7 is unique because it has the remake coming out... eventually. These don't.

FF8 on Steam is just the old windows port with some hacks. It wasn't released on iOS or Android either. This is a brand new port by a modern dev which is on iOS, Android, and PC. I would say odds of it showing up on more platforms is pretty good.

Syntsui

The second it appears on steam I'll buy it. My phone battery can't handle this game, but I checked it anyway and it's not available yet.

Aru

I don't understand why this isn't compatible with Android TV. Surely the game has controller compatibility like most smartphone S-E games that rely on virtual buttons. It makes no sense.

Top Bottom