• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 New Info/Teaser Page Open/Playable at Square Enix Party

Grecco

Strangler/ WhiteEyebrow said:
ethelred, read the article, it clearly says preorders dumbass.

I Am Shocked, Shocked that your still here. Wonderfull posts.

Anyways back on topic I never played the GBA FFT why does it get so much hate on Gaf?

MrDaravon

I wanted to post that as a reply to this thread but it was locked:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149783

and also 100,000 already preorders for a game which is available on almost every syste, shows that there is no reason they cant make new games for the psp and only make them for the ds or ps2. It also shows it is the biggest reason it didnt meet expectations, so dont blame sony but blame third parties like squareenix for being ungrateful backstabbers to sony who made them most money. And partly it is sonys fualt for not pushing their first party devs to make mroe games for it and releasing it when the amrket was oversaturated with consoles (ps2 still evry much alive for instance). Fact is games like dq9 would look alot better on a psp than a ds.

What's up with all the retarded juniors lately, did they let another batch through?

ethelred, read the article, it clearly says preorders dumbass.

Japanese retail preorders.

I would strongly suggest you begin to actually research things afore you post. Stupid posters beget lengthy bans.

aeolist

Banned
Who gives a shit about multiplay in a SRPG? Unless it's something like Fire Emblem it'd be impossible to balance well.

isnt that what preorders are? Or are there somehow different kinds of preorders?

...The retailers are preordering the game from the supplier.

These are NOT preorders from end users. Fullstop.

In this case, retailers are not expecting much out of the game. Hence the very low numbers for a FF title.

if retailers are not expecting much than the author of that pspupdates article is clearly in a different world than you are, cause judging by the way the article sounds it is quite impressive.

if retailers are not expecting much than the author of that pspupdates article is clearly in a different world than you are, cause judging by the way the article sounds it is quite impressive.

Indeed they are.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
so ur telling me u know more than a journalist who makes money writing for a gaming site?
Someone doesn't know the back-story behind Ms. Is-about-to-ban-your-dumb-ass, huh?

so ur telling me u know more than a journalist who makes money writing for a gaming site?

If they cannot tell the difference between retail and end user preorders then they must be frittering away their retirement savings to a bum on 42nd street who claims to "know all the right moves" for investments.

slapmq0.jpg

Dragona Akehi said:
If they cannot tell the difference between retail and end user preorders then they must be frittering away their retirement savings to a bum on 42nd street who claims to "know all the right moves" for investments.

so how do u know those are retail and not user preorders though?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
so how do u know those are retail and not user preorders though?
Let's think this through.
I run a banana shop. Hot bananas. Everyone knows when they're coming and wants my hot bananas. Twelve stores each preorder five bananas from me.
Now, at each store, they have different number of people who have preordered bananas. One, two, three, none. And so on.
Bananatsu magazine wants to get the hot scoop on how many bananas are being preordered. Where do they go? Me, where I can tell them exactly how many I'm preparing to ship out? Or to each individual store to get some underpaid clerk to tally the sheets?
And remember, this is for all the hot bananas.

RevenantKioku

I'm pretty sure the conversation is on my hot bananas right now. Try to stay on top of things.

Brak

RevenantKioku said:
I run a banana shop. Hot bananas. Everyone knows when they're coming and wants my hot bananas. Twelve stores each preorder five bananas from me.
Now, at each store, they have different number of people who have preordered bananas. One, two, three, none. And so on.
Bananatsu magazine wants to get the hot scoop on how many bananas are being preordered. Where do they go? Me, where I can tell them exactly how many I'm preparing to ship out? Or to each individual store to get some underpaid clerk to tally the sheets?
:lol Bananatsu has just beaten Lapsed's "shoebox filled with rocks" for best made up product.

Eteric Rice said:
For some reason it reminds me of Super Mario RPG for the SNES. No idea if it's the same guy, though.
Ryoma Ito/Itoh seems to be a relative newcomer. At least, I haven't seen him in older credits. SMRPG's lead character designers were Kiyofumi Kato and Yuko Hatae.

Alex said:
Impossible? It's easy as hell, every single soundtrack he puts out sounds identical.
You think? Replaying FFTA lately, I was surprised at how compared to FFT and XII it sounds much more cheerful, fitting the lighter mood of the game.

Hereafter

Dragona Akehi said:

Wow, you're especially nice tonight. I figured s/he will be banned by now.

/edi damn it, slow typer.

206-gob-banana_sm.jpg

RevenantKioku

Sigh...thanks Dragona. Now my hot banana analogy went to waste. "/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone else wants to see the TRUE sequel to FFTactics? By that I mean one with a more mature plot, basically made by the original team (or FFXII's, which is practically the same). FFT is still one of my favorite games ever, the kind I can go back to and play anytime.

FFT Online, please, or "World of Ivalice". Something along those lines.

ElyrionX

Has anything been said about what the job system is like now? Is it still the retarded equip-item/weapon-to-learn-new-skills shit from FFTA? God, that was one of the main reason why I stopped playing that game.

Cedille

If SE developed a FFT sequel without Matsuno, I'd be offended so much.

Apart from anything else, SE should dismiss Ryoma Ito. He can fare well in sub-character design, though.

Ether_Snake said:
Anyone else wants to see the TRUE sequel to FFTactics? By that I mean one with a more mature plot, basically made by the original team (or FFXII's, which is practically the same). FFT is still one of my favorite games ever, the kind I can go back to and play anytime.
Well, the key component of the Tactics/XII team is Matsuno, who's gone. The Tactics Advance team is basically a coming together of the people Matsuno worked with at Square with the people who were still working on the non-FF Tactics series at Quest, so it's not like there's some missing mature ingredient; it's a design decision.

EDIT: A good example of this is Kyoko Kitahara, who is credited as Scenario Writer for Tactics Advance, and Dialogue for XII, though of course the games have a very different tone.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, the key component of the Tactics/XII team is Matsuno, who's gone.

No, the key component was Matsuno plus Hiroyuki Ito, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Hiroshi Minagawa, and Akihiko Yoshida.

JoshuaJSlone said:
The Tactics Advance team is basically a coming together of the people Matsuno worked with at Square

Er... not really. Aside from limited supervisory involvement by Minagawa and some limited compositions by Sakimoto, most of Matsuno's core team from FFT wasn't part of FFTA.

Those same people went on to be heavily involved in FFXII -- Ito and Minagawa shared directorial duties after Matsuno's departure, Sakimoto handled the entire score*, Yoshida did character designs. But it wasn't the case at all with FFTA.

JoshuaJSlone said:
...with the people who were still working on the non-FF Tactics series at Quest, so it's not like there's some missing mature ingredient; it's a design decision.

But there was a missing mature ingredient. And Yuichi Murasawa, the director of FFTA/TO: KOL and now FFT A2, wasn't the entirety of the Quest team that continued on Ogre after Matsuno's departure -- in point of fact, Murasawa wasn't really involved in Ogre Battle 64, and that game was considerably different from TO: KOL (one was a much worthier follow-up to its predecessor than the other).

*: Forgot that Hayato Matsuo and Masaharu Iwata put out some tracks/arrangements, also -- they're two more people from Matsuno's golden days that didn't factor in on FFTA.

bluemax

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

FFT Online, please, or "World of Ivalice". Something along those lines.

Not really no. I found FFT plot to be kind of incomprehensible pretty fast. Maybe it was the crappy translation I dunno. FFTA was one of my all time favorite portable games. If they fix up the gameplay system so that it actually requires a bit more strategy and what not then I'm sure FFTA2 will be just as enjoyable.

I have no faith in the FFXII team to produce a good story either.

There was a lot of turnover at Quest (due perhaps to the same management problems that drove Matsuno away in the first place) and by the time Square absorbed them almost everyone from the Tactics Ogre or Ogre Battle 64 team was gone. Only a couple programmers from the Knight of Lodis/FFTA worked on those games. As for the missing mature ingredient, though, the basic setting, premise and theme of FFTA were Matsuno's decision.

Tabris

Ooohh, multiple square bosses sounds really interesting !!!

... *thinks about it*

Actually, I dunno, I think it will be interesting gameplay wise but if this is all huge monsters and such, kind of takes away from the human vs human fights that were normal in FFT for all the story battles. Which means less chance of a "political intrigue" plot, which I liked about FFT and TO.

Oh well, we'll see what happens. Either way I'm going to get it. I'm just hoping for FFT over FFTA (which I enjoyed gameplay wise but couldn't get into the story at all). What do you guys think it'll be more like of the two?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
From what was posted at Gamigo.de's key points of the full interview:

PLAY WORLD:
- The history of the two main characters Luso and Adel begin during the large vacations.
- The world should be realistic. In finally Fantasy Tactics Advance was the parallel world still more in the foreground than the genuine world, in which Marche lived. This time it is to be exactly different.
- The Ivalice from finally Fantasy XII and the Ivalice out finally Fantasy Tactics a2 is to resemble each other in some chronological things.
- History turns around a verfluchtes charm book, which must be sealed

THE CHARACTERS:
- A Moogle is to belong to the Grupe. Montblanc will however not emerge.
- Because of the temporal proximity different characters could however possibly emerge out finally Fantasy XII. The formulation was not however probably completely clear.

THE GAMEPLAY:
- There is to be more possibilities of action.
- There are also again judges and laws, however in another form than in finally Fantasy Tactics Advance. Also there are no more punishments like the prison.
- Judges can belong obviously also also to the group. Then the characters can the laws not die, must however obey.

THE DEVELOPEMENT:
- The Logo was provided by Akihiko Yoshida.
- For the character Design Ryoma Itô is responsible.
- Hitoshi Sakimoto will write the music.
- Possibly the play is to appear in the course of the summer in Japan.
Story wise it seems they really want to tie the Ivalice Alliance to FFXII. I think with all the people I've asked about that interview I can be confident that at the very least the law system will be very different this time around so I've garnered some interest in the game. :lol I really want to see what they did to the job system though, aside from new jobs.

Cedille

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
There was a lot of turnover at Quest (due perhaps to the same management problems that drove Matsuno away in the first place) and by the time Square absorbed them almost everyone from the Tactics Ogre or Ogre Battle 64 team was gone. Only a couple programmers from the Knight of Lodis/FFTA worked on those games.
I'd fully agree on your description, if you don't equate the TO team with the Ogre 64 team (and I know it's just a fluff). Since of the latter team, Murasawa, Imai, Kataoka, Hongo, Takino, Fujisawa, Kawase, Hachirou actually worked on FFTA/FFXII too (and there could be more). As for Kataoka, I'm not sure when he was employed by SE, though.

Axord

Tabris said:
but if this is all huge monsters and such, kind of takes away from the human vs human fights that were normal in FFT for all the story battles. Which means less chance of a "political intrigue" plot, which I liked about FFT and TO.
Not necessarily. The developers don't have to make the battle focus and the story focus the same being. I could even see a few 3x3 monsters providing strategic cover for their weaker human boss.

That, said, I doubt we'll see much political intrigue.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
FFT's plot was a bit difficult to understand because the translation sucked and sometimes characters name were not spelled the same way (really stupid).

But it wasn't that difficult to understand. I thought it was great. I still hope there will be maybe a good MMORPG from Square set in Ivalice. That would rock.

ethelred said:
No, the key component was Matsuno plus Hiroyuki Ito, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Hiroshi Minagawa, and Akihiko Yoshida.
Even most of those people worked on FFTA in some capacity, though yeah, missing Itou is a pretty big difference.

Hiroyuki Ito: FFT Game Design, FFXII Game Design, FFTA -
Hitoshi Sakimoto: FFT Music, FFXII Music, FFTA Music
Hiroshi Minagawa: FFT Art Direction, FFXII Visual Design Supervisor, FFTA Artistic Supervisor
Akihiko Yoshida: FFT Character Design, FFXII Main Character Design, FFTA Additional Illustrator (The Judge)

Additional T/XII/TA developers,

Hideo Minaba: FFT Battle Maps, FF XII Art Direction, FFTA Design Work
Kazutoyo Maehiro: FFT Planner, FF XII Battle System Design, FFTA Planner

ethelred said:
Er... not really. Aside from limited supervisory involvement by Minagawa and some limited compositions by Sakimoto, most of Matsuno's core team from FFT wasn't part of FFTA.

Those same people went on to be heavily involved in FFXII -- Ito and Minagawa shared directorial duties after Matsuno's departure, Sakimoto handled the entire score*, Yoshida did character designs. But it wasn't the case at all with FFTA.
Other than the main theme, which is credited to Nobuo Uematsu, Sakimoto is the only one credited in FFTA for "Music & Original Score".

ethelred said:
And Yuichi Murasawa, the director of FFTA/TO: KOL and now FFT A2, wasn't the entirety of the Quest team that continued on Ogre after Matsuno's departure -- in point of fact, Murasawa wasn't really involved in Ogre Battle 64, and that game was considerably different from TO: KOL (one was a much worthier follow-up to its predecessor than the other).
I was mostly considering Knight of Lodis, yes, but the director wasn't the only holdover from that particular game. FFTA seems to have most of Knights of Lodis's staff, but is of a very different tone. Design decision.
Cedille said:
I'd fully agree on your description, if you don't equate the TO team with the Ogre 64 team (and I know it's just a fluff). Since of the latter team, Murasawa, Imai, Kataoka, Hongo, Takino, Fujisawa, Kawase, Hachirou actually worked on FFTA/FFXII too (and there could be more).
Kyoko Kitahara: KOL Assistant Planner, FFXII Dialogue, FFTA Scenario Writer
Satomi Hongo: KOL Background Design, FFXII Visual Design, FFTA Art Director
Chiho Kawase: KOL Background Design, FFXII Realtime Model Designer (one of many), FFTA Background Creator
Ikumi Hachiro: KOL Character Design, FFXII Texture Designer (one of many), FFTA Animation Creator
Noriyuki Komoda: KOL Character Design, FFXII Realtime Model Designer (one of many), FFTA Animation Creator
Taiji Tsuchiya: KOL Effect Design, FFXII Character Effects, FFTA Visual Effects Creator
Toshiaki Imai: KOL System Program, FFXII -, FFTA World Map Programmer
Shinichi Fujisawa: KOL Event Program, FFXII Menu Program, FFTA Main Programmer
Noriyasu Arata: KOL Battle Program, FFXII Menu Program, FFTA Field Programmer
Mitsuru Nagai: KOL Effect Program, FFXII Menu Program, FFTA Visual Effects Programmer

Heh. Actually, looking at MobyGames's credits for Tactics Ogre, at the bottom it lists how many people from that game worked on other games. Interesting that it notes of those credited for Tactics Ogre, more of them worked on FFTA (5) than worked on Knight of Lodis (3).

MoxManiac

I'm hoping those comments mean FFTA2 won't be a cakewalk like FFTA; easily my biggest complaint of that game, with slow ass speed being number 2.

Top Bottom