• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

cafemomo

I'd like to see price comparisons between those versions and this version when it comes out. As far as I know the PSX version is pretty bad and the SNES version isn't exactly cheap. And even if you can get your hands on something like the SNES version god help you if you don't have an SDTV anymore.

GBAs are fairly cheap and will probably last longer than your iPhone/Android phone. You can pick up a FFVI cart from Amazon for as low as $25. (Considering Square would probably charge up to $25 for this, it's better to go the cart route. You get something that was actually worked on properly and something physical for your collection)

you can also get FFIII from the Wii VC

This is total bullshit. Do you seriously think this is Square-Enix's best effort on a product that deserves nothing less? Nobody is disappointed because it has new graphics, we're disappointed because they are phoning it in. They should not be using shit that looks like RPG Maker on their flagship franchise.

And if the PSP version of Tactics didn't have horrible spell effect lag, it would be without a doubt the definitive version. Just throwing that out there.

There is a patch out that fixes the lag

jaxword

Yes, the only reason anybody could possibly think this isn't a total upgrade is nostalgia. The concept of different tastes does not exist, and apparently neither does the concept of empathy. Let's use broad strokes and insult everyone who has a differing opinion.

Look at the hyperbolic replies just in this thread alone, though. This has nothing to do with empathy or insult, it's literally people saying "FUCK YOU SQUARE" and they're going to kill themselves.

I'm sure you agree that those are ridiculous reactions. Because it's just a port of a game. Realistically, this doesn't mean anything, especially since, as people are happy to point out, the resources required are low, so it's not affecting anything else. So is it really that wrong to have a differing opinion on people throwing huge tantrums over something so minor? I'm sure you have said to yourself (as has everyone) at some point "this issue X really isn't something to get that mad over" when you've seen others raging over minor things. It's not an insult to disagree with people's reactions or to speculate as to why.

GBAs are fairly cheap and will probably last longer than your iPhone/Android phone. You can pick up a FFVI cart from Amazon for as low as $25. (Considering Square would probably charge up to $25 for this, it's better to go the cart route. You get something that was actually worked on properly and something physical for your collection)

you can also get FFIII from the Wii VC

OH what I had no idea, yo fuck this ios thing Ima go buy that! now I can finally play this freaking game. I don't like the idea of buying some secondhand GBA so this is perfect.

Lindbergh

I want to see Mog in battle.
FF5 iOS's moogles didn't seem so bad.

110px-FFV-iOS-Ach-Kupo.png

Actually, did FF5 iOS have the Amano artwork bonuses like in FF 1&2 PSP remakes?

Err, people should take a look at videos of the mobile version of FFV and you will understand how bad this sprite style is. Many environments and character sprites look atrocious in FFV mobile. The text is pretty bad too. I personally don't like the battle effects either, but some might like that.

The monster sprites however are pretty awesome. I don't know why they couldn't have spent more time on the character sprites. I actually don't think FFI and FFII mobile look that bad either.

Something went wrong when they made FFV and Dimensions. :(

frostshade

Neo Member

My GBA has lasted 12 years already which is more than I can say for an Iphone/Android. I can vouch for that.
It still works as of now. Time to get FF6 off of Amazon.

cafemomo

OH what I had no idea, yo fuck this ios thing Ima go buy that! now I can finally play this freaking game. I don't like the idea of buying some secondhand GBA so this is perfect.

You're doing yourself a huge favor by going this route.

Enjoy the game, it's the best FF and JRPG to date.

I just read something about save points being broken on the Wii VC, if that's true it's unplayable on that platform.

never had any issues when I was playing it on the Wii VC.

If there are some saving issues at all, then just use save states.

jaxword

Is GBA considered the definitive version?

It has bonus dungeons, a more accurate translation, bug fixes, and some other little additions like extra dialogue, enemies, and spells.

Drawbacks include the poorer GBA speakers and some minor censorship. Some people get mad at the updated translation but that's really minor in the big picture, especially when the original got things wrong here and there.

ss_lemonade

Err, people should take a look at videos of the mobile version of FFV and you will understand how bad this sprite style is. Many environments and character sprites look atrocious in FFV mobile. The text is pretty bad too. I personally don't like the battle effects either, but some might like that.

The monster sprites however are pretty awesome. I don't know why they couldn't have spent more time on the character sprites. I actually don't think FFI and FFII mobile look that bad either.

Something went wrong when they made FFV and Dimensions. :(
Doesn't that game (FF V ios) also only run at 30fps? If so, why don't I see many (if any) people complaining about that?

Tangsta

Banned
Oh, and I own more than 900 video games for consoles ranging from the original NES to today. Believe me when I say I am quite confident in myself as a gamer and don't need to be spoken down to by someone who plays Angry Birds.

Great generalisation there. I defended this remake, therefore I own an ios device and only play games exclusively on that platform.

You're obviously not very happy with this remake, for whatever reasons, that's fine. I suppose throwing insults at those who are interested makes you feel a bit better, but it's not going to change anything, so chill, eh?

Negator

Is GBA considered the definitive version?

GBA version has a retranslation and extra content, but has washed out colors and horribly downgraded audio. (which is a big deal) There are patches to fix these issues but you will have to jump through hoops to play them on real hardware. If these issues don't bother you, then this version is the best. See/hear for yourself. Edit: Ignore the dropped frames in that video, GBA version isn't that choppy.

The Playstation port has reduced sound quality and suicide inducing load times.

SNES is generally considered to be the definitive version.

Red Mage

I dunno how I feel about this. It's kind of like discovering Ed Gein took your loved one to his house. You get inside, find he only shot them in the head, and feel a twinge of relief... Only to feel guilty for that.

VariantX

If it looked like ff 1/2's art on psp + gba extras + snes quality sound it'd be a no brainer purchase for alot of people. The art gained some things with the resolution bump but loses details and mood the 16 bit art had. hoping the content does live up to expectations that were set with the gba version.

KiTA

what's the aspect ratio on those screens? 4:3?

That's the problem. It has to support Android. And the official Android aspect ratio is "Yes."

Having said that, these look fine. Can't wait to see the epic freakout due to nostalgia glasses this is going to cause on GameFAQs and other forums, though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
JESUS what the fuck did they do?

AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: Also, I see a few people have stockholm syndrome.

BasilZero

My God, what did they do to one of my most favorite FF games :O

I'll stick with the SNES and PSX versions ;____;

fertygo

JESUS what the fuck did they do?

AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't know what you seeing, because recently I just trying playing the SNES game and one hour in, and its looked similar.

You have memory its having XIII graphic or something?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't know what you seeing, because recently I just trying playing the SNES game and one hour in, and its looked similar.

You have memory its having XIII graphic or something?

No, I remember it not looking like somebody took a shit on my childhood.

I'll probably buy this when it goes on sale if there's controller support and achievements.

At least it probably won't be as expensive as DQ8 mobile (2500 yen).

If DQ games come to the west, I expect them to be generally cheaper than FF games here, probably $9.99 for the most expensive one (probably VII and VIII) and $2.99-$4.99 for the rest of them.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I won't be buying for $17 bucks or whatever, but I'm definitely getting this eventually. V was a very good port and people catching vapors over these remakes are kind of ridiculous. Barely any of them have even played through V or Dimensions on iOS, so how can you make a judgement?

If they toned down the brightness and the lack of lines, this might actually look nice. Everything seems to bright and colorful in my opinion. It was sort of drab, steampunk game. Not really suited for candy-coated sprites.

I'll wait until I see some more screens, namely battle screens before I make a decision. And hope they did a halfway decent job of tiling this time around. FF5's meteor looked horrid.

cafemomo

Barely any of them have even played through V or Dimensions on iOS, so how can you make a judgement?

I've bought and played the majority of the "games" Square shat out for mobile phones.

All of them are half assed, will cheat you out of your money (atb), or a combination of both

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Looks like ass.

Also would be nice if somebody took a screencap of the original that wasnt compressed to hell and back.

RM8

I just want to say I have never played any version of this game and I still think it's a downgrade from the SNES game. The nostalgia argument is always wrong. Always.

jaxword

I just want to say I have never played any version of this game and I still think it's a downgrade from the SNES game. The nostalgia argument is always wrong. Always.

What do you say about the people literally saying "This shit on my childhood" ?

RM8

What do you say about the people literally saying "This shit on my childhood" ?
That they have fond memories of this game doesn't mean they legitimately, objectively can't prefer the original game. That's using good old game hyperbole, yeah, but their point is still valid.

Top Bottom