• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

The only real issue with the screens so far is that they simplified Terra's sprite to the point of losing too much detail. And that's a big issue.

Saying that they just upscaled and smoothed the sprites, that's not fair. They have redrawn the art, it's obvious. But you're well within your right to bitch about the art direction. It's awful.

jaxword

That they have fond memories of this game doesn't mean they legitimately, objectively can't prefer the original game. That's using good old game hyperbole, yeah, but their point is still valid.

How do you prefer something you haven't played or experienced?

By your own logic, I could say that they could, legitimately, subjectively be clouding their view of the present with memories of the past.

This game deserves a 4K HD 60FPS remake yet SQEX treats it like garbage. I expected my rage levels will reach the stratosphere but I couldn't care less. Such a shame.

Arcayne

The sprites aren't that great; everything looks so smooth and bright in an otherwise very dark and gritty game. Cautiously on the fence with this one.

Psxphile

Looks like ass.

Also would be nice if somebody took a screencap of the original that wasnt compressed to hell and back.

okay

Hx7XFiP.png
3x SNES

7Y0zfDe.png
3x GBA

SdW2eF2.jpg
mobile

qVFSy70.png
3x SNES

jwh8U6z.png
3x GBA

xHm4vbG.jpg
mobile

John325

Neo Member
It's not just Terra that's been simplified. Just compare the magitech armor. In the sprite work it has an almost organic quality melded with steam punk because of things like the subtle curves in the arms, but in the new everything's been straightened and given harsh angles and the main body is completely smooth so that along with the overly saturated colors it looks like something straight out of a Lego set. It should look grimy and almost bestial.

Valus

I never noticed those houses on the mountainside there in the original. But they're there...if you look close enough...

High res font, very soft shading, with messed up contrast, and a palette that clashes with the tone of the game. Pretty much what I expected of the recent low-effort iOS Final Fantasy games. It isn't confirmed that they didn't update the amount of animation frames to accommodate for the increased resolution, but I think we can safely assume that they didn't.

I'm not mad, S-E, just disappointed.

Burt

When you think about it, it's actually amazing that the higher res sprites obliterate all the detail from the images. It's a testament to the quality of the original sprites and the lack of effort on SE's part. I don't even want to mention how the new sprites have shattered the harsh tone with all that softness and the awful palette. I was a big fan of the upgrades in IV and V because the sprite work, palettes, and tone all matched up reasonably well with this art style, but it just doesn't work here. FFVI is one of gaming's sacred cows and it's original sprites are godly. It deserves better than to be morphed into this smooth plastic abomination.

Jacobbles

This isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but it's still pretty bad.

The colour palette is the worst part, though. Way too bright.

Teknoman

Yeah its not nostalgia on my part. Not saying the game will play horribly (dunno how people will enter blitz commands) but it does look worse. There really isnt any arguing that. Now exactly how much worse than the original? Well, thats probably something that can be argued.

And sure i'd like for most of Square's portable stuff to be 3DS or Vita focused, but i'm not opposed to mobile device gaming. I just dont want them to remake/port games and make them look worse.

Did FFT end up on the better end of this?

John325

Neo Member
Did FFT end up on the better end of this?

FFT looked pretty much the same in gameplay as far as I can tell. It just added some CG cutscenes. It's the slowdown in battles that bothered most people, but I hear that was fixed in the iPhone version... Oh, and some people didn't like the "Ye Olde English" pseudo Shakespeare sounding language that was used in the new script. It's a much better translation overall, though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Don't like it, but I was expecting worse.

It completely takes away the charm of the SNES graphics. Now it looks all cartoony.

Second screen looks amateurish compared to the original. Not touching this thing ever, it's not like I don't have other versions of the game on more comfortable and reliable platforms.

Besides, as long as SE keeps releasing frigging ios/android exclusives I'm not touching any of that. They could very easily port and release this on handheld platforms but they simply want to force the mobile is the future bullshit down our throats so they can one day say: "look guys, we were right, you bought our mobile shit!". Screw it.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Need to see more to really be able to judge, but got mixed feelings right now. Backgrounds look pretty nice, but the reworked look of Terra looks shite. I'd rather see Silicon Studio deal with a 'real' remake. Or just let it rest, FFVI is fine as it is.

Need to see more to really be able to judge, but got mixed feelings right now. Backgrounds look pretty nice, but the reworked look of Terra looks shite. I'd rather see Silicon Studio deal with a 'real' remake. Or just let it rest, FFVI is fine as it is.

Yeah this is my position. Terra's sprite sticks out like a sore thumb.

Maybe it is just me, but i dont think it looks that bad. I actually kinda like the design and first and foremost im just happy that they finally decided to do the FF VI remake.
Maybe a lot of people just look back at FF VI with nostalgic feelings. Something that brightend our hearst so many years back can never truly be replaced by a remake.

Anyhow. I like the pictures of FFVI (at least what little i have seen so far).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sprites look fine. This is what a 16-bit era sprite would always look like if you had more resolution.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This wouldn't be a bad port if it wasn't so half-assed.

They basically uprezzed the game and smoothed everything out. Ideally they would have redrawn the pixel art to match the intent of the original design and art for the super-high resolution displays of smartphones and tablet computers.

That's why I mentioned earlier, making Smartphone and Tablet gaming isn't a bad thing, it is just how it is so half-assed and poorly done that rubs me the wrong way. Oh yeah, and shitting on my old memories also doesn't make it any better.

biocat

I'm just thankful they didn't go for that terrible 3D engine they were using for 1-4.

Also, I hate how I always leave Japan just before the Jump Festa. I've only been twice and I've lived here for 10 years now. Move the damn date!!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This wouldn't be a bad port if it wasn't so half-assed.

They basically uprezzed the game and smoothed everything out. Ideally they would have redrawn the pixel art to match the intent of the original design and art for the super-high resolution displays of smartphones and tablet computers.

That's why I mentioned earlier, making Smartphone and Tablet gaming isn't a bad thing, it is just how it is so half-assed and poorly done that rubs me the wrong way. Oh yeah, and shitting on my old memories also doesn't make it any better.

These are redrawn sprites, trying to keep the feel of the original.

If you mean completely reimagined with the additional detail afforded by modern resolutions: yeah, I'm sure that would escape criticism (sarcasm).

I don't think it looks bad. Really what else could they have done to make a 1994 game look better but still keep it the same game without putting off younger people with pixellated graphics?

Tiu Neo

At least it's not as bad as FF5 sprites. Everything is a bit clearer, but I'm not sure if I like the "oversmoothing" they did.

Hesemonni

Banned
I gotta admit: I would gladly buy a Vita port of it.

*runs*

E: I'm trying to figure whether my mind plays tricks on my, but didn't FF IV on PSP look quite similar to what's proposed now for FF VI?

I honestly thought that the remake for 6 would be a full 3D remake on 3DS... Buh Bowwww.

It is a burden knowing that Square once was a great company that could do no wrong.
Now? Every release seems to be a 'i hope they don't fuck this up' vibe to it.
Too late with this one!

At least it doesn't look like hot garbage.

Problem is it lost the "grittiness" by being so bright and colourful. The snow for example is too white.

Also does this mean we will be finally able to play FF1-6 on iOS? Doesn't that open up the possibility and well, must, to port FF7 next?!?

The future looks crazy good for iOS gamers.

Top Bottom