• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I'm just playing Remake right now and need to complain somewhere so I'm doing it here... it's a decent game but, damn, it really hurts some of the design choices, like when you get paralized for it takes FOREVER to move and you can't apply an item because the bar is filling, really hate that...

But the worst thing in any game is multiplied by 1000x in this one, that's slow walking sections, I hate them with some kind of passion, and this game puts them so unnecessarily not even for masking loading, they are just there like you enter a room and are running, suddenly you're walking with no way to run, WHY?! Why can't I just run? Poor baby face Cloud gonna get exhausted? Oh no!... No srsly, WHY?

I wouldn't mind the ATB shit that much but the walking in this game is just soooo much I'm thinking on rushing it just so I don't have to deal with that BS, game is good but that alone ruins it for me. Is the walking overused this much on Rebirth?
Yeah, it drove me nuts in Remake, but Rebirth is much better in this respect. It still happens when you enter certain buildings, like weapons shops and stuff, but much less of an issue than in the prior game. Still takes Cloud about three-and-a-half weeks to pull a switch though.

Nankatsu

The resolution in performance mode is a bit choopy or is it just me? Not Jedi Survivor levels of choopiness but...

This game could really use a 40 fps mode, but what will happen is an update for PS5 Pro down the road most likely.

Hell, I would bet my two cents that will be the so rumoured graphics update they talked about.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The resolution in performance mode is a bit choopy or is it just me? Not Jedi Survivor levels of choopiness but...

This game could really use a 40 fps mode, but what will happen is an update for PS5 Pro down the road most likely.

Hell, I would bet my two cents that will be the so rumoured graphics update they talked about.

I would hope the update they are talking about will not take that long. My guess is we get one soon, and then another one later once this PS5 Pro comes out.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah, it drove me nuts in Remake, but Rebirth is much better in this respect. It still happens when you enter certain buildings, like weapons shops and stuff, but much less of an issue than in the prior game. Still takes Cloud about three-and-a-half weeks to pull a switch though.
Well, I can live with that lol, thanks. I mean, it's ok sometimes for creative vision or whatever but they really overused in Remake to the point they made walking too much a general complain in as fucking FF game 😂

Belthazar

It seems Edge gave it a 9, which is VERY surprising coming from them. I expected an 8 at most.

Go_Ly_Dow

It seems Edge gave it a 9, which is VERY surprising coming from them. I expected an 8 at most.

Holy moly, was expecting a 7 from them, 8 at best and that they'd be the first and only mixed/negative review. So that's a nice surprise.
BIKENik.png

They are likely the most impressive thing about this remake! Not to mention all the little farms and Hamlets they added.
For sure. Also the number of little NPC conversations you can listen to.

rofif

Banned
I just finished chapter 13 yesterday and I had a brief moments of falling asleep.
The last few chapters were so boring, it really ruined the game for me. Remake is a better game and I was 100% sure rebirth was better when I started it.
I will try to finish it today or tomorrow but I don't feel the drive to do so knowing all the bloat and fight after fight after fight I have to go through.
It's a repetitive gauntlet. FF16 was more exciting to me (with dip in the middle).

Also, I love the Zack stuff and atmosphere but I feel they really should've made it a normal 1-max 2 game remake. All this nonsense they are doing is just nonsense and the game is just confusing for the sake of it.
As someone who never played the original, it makes me feel casted aside a bit. I understand what happens in the original and what happens is a better story lol.

Now some spoiler until end of chapter 13:
Red 13 sucks. His voice sucks and that's one thing but how his character changes is nonsense.
minigames suck. Costa del sol was fine but after this? Prison - mini games, golden saucer? - minigames... constant minigames. And they put you in golden saucer, having to go to ALL THE LOCATIONS again, hoping you get to have more "fun".
Red 13 mission sucked terribly. Gameplay sucked, his wall running is pointless and the ancestor stuff at the end is nonsense.
Cait Sith sucked. I don't know how he was in the original but it makes no sense the team trusted him. He always said he works for shinra and he is a robot. His mission sucked the worst in the whole game.
And as I've said. chapter 13 is very bad. gauntlet after gauntles and boring level design. Levers take forever to use and then slow climbing on vines.

And the open worlds got repetitive and tiring in corel for me

TheAssist

I just finished chapter 13 yesterday and I had a brief moments of falling asleep.
The last few chapters were so boring, it really ruined the game for me. Remake is a better game and I was 100% sure rebirth was better when I started it.
I will try to finish it today or tomorrow but I don't feel the drive to do so knowing all the bloat and fight after fight after fight I have to go through.
It's a repetitive gauntlet. FF16 was more exciting to me (with dip in the middle).

Also, I love the Zack stuff and atmosphere but I feel they really should've made it a normal 1-max 2 game remake. All this nonsense they are doing is just nonsense and the game is just confusing for the sake of it.
As someone who never played the original, it makes me feel casted aside a bit. I understand what happens in the original and what happens is a better story lol.

Now some spoiler until end of chapter 13:
Red 13 sucks. His voice sucks and that's one thing but how his character changes is nonsense.
minigames suck. Costa del sol was fine but after this? Prison - mini games, golden saucer? - minigames... constant minigames. And they put you in golden saucer, having to go to ALL THE LOCATIONS again, hoping you get to have more "fun".
Red 13 mission sucked terribly. Gameplay sucked, his wall running is pointless and the ancestor stuff at the end is nonsense.
Cait Sith sucked. I don't know how he was in the original but it makes no sense the team trusted him. He always said he works for shinra and he is a robot. His mission sucked the worst in the whole game.
And as I've said. chapter 13 is very bad. gauntlet after gauntles and boring level design. Levers take forever to use and then slow climbing on vines.

And the open worlds got repetitive and tiring in corel for me
Sound like a solid 8/10 then

TheAssist

btw there is this absolutely amazing Choir part in Rufus' inauguration theme that you only hear once in the game and then again in the credits

It starts at around 17:25 if the timestamp doesnt work properly

Amazing song, almost crazy we havent heard more from this.

Are there any other "hidden gem" songs for you in the game, that arent well known from the OG?

shubik

I´m 40 hours deep and to be honest I just want it to be over. There are just too many things that I don´t enjoy. Traversal is horrible, the open world part is just a worse version of every Ubisoft title, the story is just filled with filler material that just drags on, some of the mini-games are just borderline broken and bad etc.

Yes, in between all of that is a great game with a robust combat system, fantastic and jaw dropping cut scenes and some beautiful locations and vistas. But this is not enough for 100 hour game... just my two cents without nostalgia goggles

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
While we wait for the performance patch coming on the 23rd of never, i'm just starting this tonight. Now that it's been some time since the game has been out, how are you all feeling on graphics mode vs performance when starting the game fresh?

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
While we wait for the performance path coming on the 23rd of never, i'm just starting this tonight. Now that it's been some time since the game has been out, how are you all feeling on graphics mode vs performance when starting the game fresh?
I’ve always been fine with the graphics mode. Same with Helldivers 2. Give me that sweet resolution any day!

While we wait for the performance patch coming on the 23rd of never, i'm just starting this tonight. Now that it's been some time since the game has been out, how are you all feeling on graphics mode vs performance when starting the game fresh?
I played through Normal on Graphics mode and Hard on Performance. IMO they are both fine.

Nankatsu

Graphics mode while crispier resolution wise, is atroucious on camera movement.

I can't for the love of god play this game in graphics mode sadly.

I don't remember Remake being this choopy on PS4.

Last edited:

saintjules

Question is what is an 8 vs a 9 in words?

TheAssist

I´m 40 hours deep and to be honest I just want it to be over. There are just too many things that I don´t enjoy. Traversal is horrible, the open world part is just a worse version of every Ubisoft title, the story is just filled with filler material that just drags on, some of the mini-games are just borderline broken and bad etc.

Yes, in between all of that is a great game with a robust combat system, fantastic and jaw dropping cut scenes and some beautiful locations and vistas. But this is not enough for 100 hour game... just my two cents without nostalgia goggles
See, I'm of the opinion that the open world is a huge upgrade from typical Ubisoft open worlds. The type of activities are more varied and fun, its less buggy, I dont know what you mean by the minigames being "broken", but I guess everything is broken these days when you dont like a thing, because I did not encounter a single bug in my 140 hour playthrough of this massive game, which I feel is already quite an accomplishment.

Also the rewards you get feel much more meaningful compared to most games, where you might get a new weapon with slightly better stats. Here new powerful materia can completely change you entire build and combat strategy. Same goes for new weapon abilities.

The story being full of filler seems very subjective. Its full of character interaction, which is kind of the point. In the OG there isnt really a lot happening in this part of the game. Its a mc guffin hunt to the next and the next location while learning more about your companions. And this is what this game is. A journey were you get to know all the characters without too much external agency. I think this is a better state of mind to go into this. Apart from the ending there is not really a lot of plot happening. Character interactions are not filler, they are part of this journey.
But of course if you expect something different you might be disappointment in this front. Remake certainly has more happening and part 3 will have aaaaa lot of plot in it.

Matchew

And ch 12 and 13 are worse :p
I am off to bed. Continuing tomorrow.

I will replay remake after this. I think it was way better.
That's sad to hear. Remake is the better game by far in my eyes. This might be one of the biggest disappointments for me honestly. The game is good, but the pacing and major sections of the game have been unnecessary.

I’m not a FF guy. FF16 was the first one I ever played on release (did not like it) I played Remake a couple years after it came out. I got Rebirth a week ago, and that’s all of my exposure to FF.

But I do see gaming discussions on the internet and “people hate every final fantasy until the new one comes out” could not be more apt. And now I’m seeing it in real time. Haven’t seen near this amount of love towards 16 until Rebirth came out.

And now Remake is way better than Rebirth too. And because of padding and unnecessary sections in the game. Yes this is now a PLUS in Remakes favor. Crazy to see.

I guess Rebirth will get its love when Revenge comes out.

Doomtrain

Remake is overly-padded too, and in many cases, it's worse there because less of the content is optional. Regardless, padding was always going to be an issue with splitting a single game into three parts.

I’m not a FF guy. FF16 was the first one I ever played on release (did not like it) I played Remake a couple years after it came out. I got Rebirth a week ago, and that’s all of my exposure to FF.

But I do see gaming discussions on the internet and “people hate every final fantasy until the new one comes out” could not be more apt. And now I’m seeing it in real time. Haven’t seen near this amount of love towards 16 until Rebirth came out.

And now Remake is way better than Rebirth too. And because of padding and unnecessary sections in the game. Yes this is now a PLUS in Remakes favor. Crazy to see.

Only a matter of time before we get "Final Fantasy 13 was great actually and is a better game".

ByWatterson

Five hours in.

This game is borderline miraculous. It is a fully realized Final Fantasy open/overworld from previous eras, plus some Ubisoft structural elements, but with the same intrinsically motivating exploration elements of BOTW and Elden Ring.

And the RPG mechanics just keep piling on, all fitting together perfectly.

And they have the node system from FFX!

What a game.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Only a matter of time before we get "Final Fantasy 13 was great actually and is a better game".
Already ongoing on FF Reddit.

Welcome to the Final Fantasy fan base. First week is amazing, most love it. Second week people overplay the handful of flaws, third week until next game release, the devs kicked their puppies, shat in their soup, and called yo mama fat.

It’s honestly hilarious to see every single time. And like clockwork, the folks do it with no ounce of irony.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Already ongoing on FF Reddit.

Welcome to the Final Fantasy fan base. First week is amazing, most love it. Second week people overplay the handful of flaws, third week until next game release, the devs kicked their puppies, shat in their soup, and called yo mama fat.

It’s honestly hilarious to see every single time. And like clockwork, the folks do it with no ounce of irony.
Well sure but I wouldn't say handful of flaws.
That's overgeneralizing either.
I was super impressed when I started it and loved the game but I fell off. I could finish it today but I don't feel like doing so... I will get to it a bit later but feels like work.
I didn't had that with ff16 for example or with XV or remake.

Dark Souls 2 was the better game !!!!

Matchew

But FF16 was good. And I'm pretty sure everyone mostly enjoyed Remake. Remake is a more focused and linear game. If you can't see why people would prefer that over ubisoft type task and minigames every step you take. I don't know what to tell you.

But FF16 was good. And I'm pretty sure everyone mostly enjoyed Remake. Remake is a more focused and linear game. If you can't see why people would prefer that over ubisoft type task and minigames every step you take. I don't know what to tell you.
Hey I won't litigate every individual opinion on FF16. Just saying that I didn't see near as much love for it until recently. Before then it seemed like the opposite, where the consensus seemed to be that is was disappointing.

Remake is not very focused or linear. Sure if you compare it to Rebirth I guess it is. Though the padding, and unfocused things you do in Rebirth are infinitely more interesting to me than anything we did in Remake. But to each their own.

But Remake used to be docked points for that exact same stuff, and now people think it is great and quaint to have a game like that compared to the new one. And if/when the next game comes out and is a smaller scope and darker tone. People will complain about missing the wide open areas and variety that was on display in Rebirth.

I'm not calling any one person out, or saying people are wrong. Just noting with interest that it really does seem as though the latest Final Fantasy that comes out is the one that will seem the most hated on the internet at the time. A sentiment I have seen expressed many times, and am seeing in real time now.

Garibaldi

Personally, I love this game. Every half hour or so I'm getting giddy at the nostalgia from seeing places and sequences from back in the day properly realised.

Then again I absolutely loved remake too for the same reason. I don't mind the slow bits as I can just enjoy the environment and the beautiful art.

I don't think I really have issues with the open world repetition. I don't really play the game all the time so I love the exploration and party banter as we do the Chadley stuff.

Combat wise, I'm really enjoying it too as I'm getting a better handle on it.

All I'm really disappointed in is the lighting during the day is far too bright and the resolution is pretty crap compared to how I play remake on my PC (3840x1600 x 135% res, with a customised reshade and modded textures at 100-120 FPS)

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Hey I won't litigate every individual opinion on FF16. Just saying that I didn't see near as much love for it until recently. Before then it seemed like the opposite, where the consensus seemed to be that is was disappointing.

Remake is not very focused or linear. Sure if you compare it to Rebirth I guess it is. Though the padding, and unfocused things you do in Rebirth are infinitely more interesting to me than anything we did in Remake. But to each their own.

But Remake used to be docked points for that exact same stuff, and now people think it is great and quaint to have a game like that compared to the new one. And if/when the next game comes out and is a smaller scope and darker tone. People will complain about missing the wide open areas and variety that was on display in Rebirth.

I'm not calling any one person out, or saying people are wrong. Just noting with interest that it really does seem as though the latest Final Fantasy that comes out is the one that will seem the most hated on the internet at the time. A sentiment I have seen expressed many times, and am seeing in real time now.

The problem with an anthology series to the extent of Final Fantasy (mechanics changing with settings) is that it essentially splits the vocal portion of the fan base into several more hyper focused, elite fandoms within fandom. In general you have your old guard squad - the type who think the series started trending downwards starting AT VII. Then you have your PS1 GOLDEN TRILOGY people, people who stopped at X, MMO Master race XI and XIV dudes, and your D.final contemporary types.

Depending on which game is the highlight of the discussion at that time largely determines the very elite, smarmy group of Final Fantasy fans whom will object to its very existence. I mean, it makes sense. If you like gameplay or story setting in game a then you're going to want more game a's. However, from an outsider point of view, it comes with the distinct disadvantage of the lot total of us looking like insufferable unpleasable cunts, when really it's like a revolving door of specifically insufferable unpleasable cunts, and not all of us all of the time.

Note: I'm not calling anyone here levying issues with the game a cunt, though if you took specific offense to a non specific generalization, then you're probably a cunt.

SCB3

The problem with an anthology series to the extent of Final Fantasy (mechanics changing with settings) is that it essentially splits the vocal portion of the fan base into several more hyper focused, elite fandoms within fandom. In general you have your old guard squad - the type who think the series started trending downwards starting AT VII. Then you have your PS1 GOLDEN TRILOGY people, people who stopped at X, MMO Master race XI and XIV dudes, and your D.final contemporary types.

Depending on which game is the highlight of the discussion at that time largely determines the very elite, smarmy group of Final Fantasy fans whom will object to its very existence. I mean, it makes sense. If you like gameplay or story setting in game a then you're going to want more game a's. However, from an outsider point of view, it comes with the distinct disadvantage of the lot total of us looking like insufferable unpleasable cunts, when really it's like a revolving door of specifically insufferable unpleasable cunts, and not all of us all of the time.

Note: I'm not calling anyone here levying issues with the game a cunt, though if you took specific offense to a non specific generalization, then you're probably a cunt.
You can go even further, those who love the PS1 Trilogy but love/hate the Action combat brought on from VX onwards (personally I love it)

Finally time to get to the Temple of Ancients, time to see if my prediction here was right all along, just to remind:

Aerith won't die in this one

How thats gonna effect the OG's story remains to be seen as that needed to happen for the rest of the story

rofif

Banned
For Real tho. How do I fight these adamantium turtles ?!
It takes so much time to pressure them. I use the elemental attacks even with yuffie ninjitsu and it does barely anything. I took 1 down but the 2nd encounter is rough

TheAssist

Well, as a golden trilogy cunt myself I have to agree with your point :D

But I always want this franchise to evolve, that sometimes unfortunately includes failing now and then. They decided to evolve at a time were making games was especially hard with the jump to HD and hard to work with hardware like the PS3 in a time when game development in Japan was generally in a decline. So 13 and 15, at least in my eyes, didnt hold up to the high standards set my previous entries.

Honestly I am sometimes surprised that we even got so many actually good FF games to begin with. Knowing whether a product will be good or not is always a gamble, especially if you try something new. This franchise does not get enough credit for that. Everyone working at or at least close to R&D in ANY industry knows, you work on more than just one product at a time when you are a big company. Because there will always be misfires. Doesnt matter if you are Porsche, Rolex, Pfizer, Nestle, Apple or any other company. The fact that we got so many hits within the 16+x FF games is actually very impressive in a market that chances so much with technology and consumer preferences.

But what the heck is a D.final type? Sounds dangerous and somewhat contagious haha

TheAssist

For Real tho. How do I fight these adamantium turtles ?!
It takes so much time to pressure them. I use the elemental attacks even with yuffie ninjitsu and it does barely anything. I took 1 down but the 2nd encounter is rough
First you despell their Manaward and shell and then you cast Arcane ward and Firaga with 2 magic casters (so 4 casts of Firaga in its face). Then it gets insta staggared. If you defeated the other enemy in the room as well you might have a limit break now (you can also use limit syphon). For maximum damage during stagger you either use Rise and Fall or Truestrike with Tifa first, then one Limit break and the other magic caster can use Fira (because you probably wont get 2 ATB bars that quickly again). Or you use a limit break upgrading Synergy ability and then a level 2 limit. But always try to increase stagger with Tifa first. I dont know if you can slow them, if yes, then this would increase their stagger time. It will prbably die within that stagger or at least be very low HP afterwards.

rofif

Banned
First you despell their Manaward and shell and then you cast Arcane ward and Firaga with 2 magic casters (so 4 casts of Firaga in its face). Then it gets insta staggared. If you defeated the other enemy in the room as well you might have a limit break now (you can also use limit syphon). For maximum damage during stagger you either use Rise and Fall or Truestrike with Tifa first, then one Limit break and the other magic caster can use Fira (because you probably wont get 2 ATB bars that quickly again). Or you use a limit break upgrading Synergy ability and then a level 2 limit. But always try to increase stagger with Tifa first. I dont know if you can slow them, if yes, then this would increase their stagger time. It will prbably die within that stagger or at least be very low HP afterwards.
Despell manward and shell ?! What?!
I am just fighting the dude and casting fire at him.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Well, as a golden trilogy cunt myself I have to agree with your point :D

But I always want this franchise to evolve, that sometimes unfortunately includes failing now and then. They decided to evolve at a time were making games was especially hard with the jump to HD and hard to work with hardware like the PS3 in a time when game development in Japan was generally in a decline. So 13 and 15, at least in my eyes, didnt hold up to the high standards set my previous entries.

Honestly I am sometimes surprised that we even got so many actually good FF games to begin with. Knowing whether a product will be good or not is always a gamble, especially if you try something new. This franchise does not get enough credit for that. Everyone working at or at least close to R&D in ANY industry knows, you work on more than just one product at a time when you are a big company. Because there will always be misfires. Doesnt matter if you are Porsche, Rolex, Pfizer, Nestle, Apple or any other company. The fact that we got so many hits within the 16+x FF games is actually very impressive in a market that chances so much with technology and consumer preferences.

But what the heck is a D.final type? Sounds dangerous and somewhat contagious haha

Yeah, I appreciate all of them for different things at different times. I'm much softer on the ones that most dislike, as well. I entered the scene with FFVII (was actually the second game I played in my life) so I'm heavily biased toward the PS1 titles, myself, if primarily for nostalgia. I dunno, I also love turn based battle. It's the perfect game type to hang out in the dark and smoke and eat a shit load and play all night. I'm also very partial to some 90's Shonen style art, and VII and VIII were right in the sweet spot where the art from Nomura was kind of "edgy," for complete lack of a better term, and before he evolved into each character sketch being a work of abstract art as the viewer ponders what deals with dark gods needed to be made to get a character into a gaping tangle of leather, belts, and zippers. I know, Squall, but I maintain that Squall was the first Nomuraism and therefore should be exempt from getting all the baggage of years of zippers succeeding him. If Squall was the only belt and zipper dude in the series, he'd be hella distinct. Maybe not universally adored, but not widely viewed as the Spears tip in lulzy FF designs. Either way, wild tangent, but

TheAssist

Despell manward and shell ?! What?!
I am just fighting the dude and casting fire at him.
If I remember correctly this was the enemy that always casts manawall/shell and maybe even protect. And it recasts it after a while again if you despell it. So you have to get rid of it, otherwise, yeah I now understand why the fight takes so long for you. But are you casting regular fire or firaga? I leanred very late in Remake that -aga spells pressure for MUCH more than -ra spells. Thats basically how you trivialize most endgame/post game fights including the second stage of Weis. And using 2 spellcasters with arcane ward is usually instant stagger on every non boss fight and a load of pressure on a boss if its somewhat weak to magic.

rofif

Banned
If I remember correctly this was the enemy that always casts manawall/shell and maybe even protect. And it recasts it after a while again if you despell it. So you have to get rid of it, otherwise, yeah I now understand why the fight takes so long for you. But are you casting regular fire or firaga? I leanred very late in Remake that -aga spells pressure for MUCH more than -ra spells. Thats basically how you trivialize most endgame/post game fights including the second stage of Weis. And using 2 spellcasters with arcane ward is usually instant stagger on every non boss fight and a load of pressure on a boss if its somewhat weak to magic.
Firaga. I just beat him before your answer traditional brute force way.

but properly I should use deshell from enervation materia? I didn’t use this materia once… I have tons of other equipped but never felt the need for that one and forgot it.
Or would casting protect on enemy deprotect him too?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Firaga. I just beat him before your answer traditional brute force way.

but properly I should use deshell from enervation materia? I didn’t use this materia once… I have tons of other equipped but never felt the need for that one and forgot it.
Or would casting protect on enemy deprotect him too?
Yes, use enervation.

Casting protect gives the target protect.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Yes, use enervation.

Casting protect gives the target protect.
Thanks yeah I’m his could’ve been clearer in the game. Especially that deshell is level2 of that materia. And it doesn’t leave a lot of room for free play. I beat him but I do feel I did it wrong and deshell is a must.

As for protect, I found it strange you can cast protect on enemies. It does say you can’t cast protect on deprotect resistant enemies or something. Why would they even give me an option to protect enemy

Top Bottom