• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jørdan;68110871 said:
Not certain but I wouldn't think so, you're going to need that 15% for the third character in battle.

I worded it wrong, it isn't cropped... I don't know the correct terminology for it, but it's kinda "squished" if you know what I mean :p

I knew it was too much to ask from such an inept company, but you can't even register the earlier PC release with Steam. Hate is a strong word, but I want to use it.

Durante

I don't get it. This is a re-release of game that is more than 15 years old. I played it when I was 14 and it was great. I have since completed it a second time. But why do people still get so excited over this shit today?
I'm in the same boat, but it's already #1 in the Steam top seller list.

Give us XV or the XIII trilogy or at least X & X-2 HD SE.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm in the same boat, but it's already #1 in the Steam top seller list.

Give us XV or the XIII trilogy or at least X & X-2 HD SE.
Hopefully this bodes well in whatever their process is for deciding whether XV comes to PC or not.

Kikujiro

Hopefully this bodes well in whatever their process is for deciding whether XV comes to PC or not.

They have a western branch that is extremely focused with PC releases, I don't understand why S-E Japan is so stubborn, it should be easy enough for them.

Shitty DRM ruining everyone's day. It's a shame because I was hoping this would be the perfect opportunity to experience one of the greats.

Someday I'll get my chance to play this on my laptop without needing to log in twice. Today is not that day.

aeolist

Banned
Never played this game and i'm concerned whether or not it is worth playing in 2013 without rose-tinted glasses.
Also 12 bucks? This came out last century for Christs sake.

it's fun enough but it looks reeeeeeeally bad

even (especially?) the cgi cutscenes

seriously one of the ugliest 3d games ever made, classic pc games from the early 90s look way better

Road

Square Enix: We decided based on FFVII sales on Steam there was no demand to put FFXV on PCs.
Gamers: But we didn't buy it because it was expensive for an old game and had that stupid SE account requirement...
Square Enix: We also saw 2 million downloads in a torrent site, which means we lost 2 million sales of the PC version of FFVII. We can't afford to lose 2 million sales of FFXV since we need 10 million copies sold to match its budget and metacritic score.
Gamers: ...

Time to fix SE's incompetence!

Just like the original release. I don't get why they didn't at least update the soundtrack.

It's stupid, I actually hadn't played the PC version until just now and the music is fucking terrible. It's not nostalgia or whatever either, it legitimately sounds like shit, there's no "fat" to the sound as musicians say, it's all extremely flat and tinny.

But whatever, mods and achievements save the day for me.

legacyzero

Banned
So Online DRM and shitty music?? Oh Square.

Still, I'll probably get this once some mods come up for it.

Is anybody making an OT? There should be an OT. Grief?

EDIT: FFVII is also on sale on GMG. I wonder if their coupon code works? It's a steam key.

Final Fantasy VII |OT| ALMOST DONE

If you don't pay full price for it, S-E will think you don't care about the Final Fantasy franchise anymore.

After XIII, they'd be right LOL. Still, 90's Square is best Square.

legacyzero

Banned
Would you know what's going on if you bought this, never playing a Final Fantasy game before?

Yes.

Final Fantasy is always (or almost it's own game) with every iteration. New characters, new universe, new story that is in no way related to previous entries. But the games maintain some series staples like summoning, magic systems, chocobos, moogles, etc.

and VII being the most popular of them all.

GAMERG0D

Oh man... If they put VIII on Steam... I'd be too weak.....
Well it was in the registry with VII and in a Famitsu it was said to be coming to Japan and it was 80%(?) complete about a month ago. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will come out in August like the FF VII e-store release, since this release came out one year after the e-store version was announced.

Oh I'm not making the OT lol, I was making fun of the ALMOST DONE during the DRM crap when you first run the game.
Oh lol

ChapaNDJ

Banned
I think i'll wait for this one to get a price drop. Doesn't look too good.
Also, i'm waiting for FFX/X-2 on PS3 which it looks like its going to be an excellent remasterization.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
When I saw this thread I just screamed in joy. Listened to some FF muzzak, and then came back to read impressions...Oh boy, so glad I didn't buy this hahaha.

You don't want that, babe.

I do. I don't hate the games, XIII could have been better, XIII-2 was pretty good IMO and I think LR looks interesting. As much as I agree with many of the problems people have with these games I think the hate is widely overblown, like they're some of the worst games ever made.

Fuck you Square! I'm not signing up for another bullshit service just to play a single player game. Especially one that 15 years old!

Is the Bootleg Front End program the way to go with mods? Anyone have any recommended setups? I'm not really looking for much, just maybe better looking environments/models, the original soundtrack, and UI styles.

Yes.

Final Fantasy is always (or almost it's own game) with every iteration. New characters, new universe, new story that is in no way related to previous entries. But the games maintain some series staples like summoning, magic systems, chocobos, moogles, etc.

and VII being the most popular of them all.

Gotcha. I'll add it to my wishlist. Thanks for the reply.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Title update needed. No need to get people excited only to see the DRM.

Yep. That and the half assed port job. They added some perks to an over 10 year old release. They could have spent all these years making a new version to make for consoles and PC with everyone winning. Keep the art and graphics the same but expand the field of view. Make that the remake. I don't want to see black all around the screen and listen to midi nor have to resort to fixing the game for them via mods.

Fantasmo

Hey Square, I was going to buy your 15-20 year old game for $12 until you decided to make me jump through hoops for it. I don't want a Square Enix account, fuck off.

Is the Bootleg Front End program the way to go with mods? Anyone have any recommended setups? I'm not really looking for much, just maybe better looking environments/models, the original soundtrack, and UI styles.

From what I'm gathering, the Bootleg Front End is -THE- best way to manage/install/preview mods for FFVII. It used to be all compiled into FFVII Remix, but Bootleg sort of took that torch and ran with it.

You do have to hunt down the mods yourself...there is a complete mod package available via torrent. It's only ~18GB. XD

Honestly, modding a game like this, even if its automated, sounds pretty fun. I plopped the 10 bucks (thanks, GMG!) down. If I end up playing through it with the mods, it'll be worth it.

Cheddahz

Banned
Debating if I should get it or not...is there a way to have your saves be stored on your hard drive and not a cloud?

casmith07

Ugh I'm so torn...I already own a physical copy and a digital copy and can play this on my vita...but being able to play this on PC with achievements is just really nice :)

Can anyone confirm this doesn't have any SE DRM nonsense? If it just requires steam i may be throwing my money at them...again...

I have the original PC version packed away, the black bar original, the green bar original, and it's on my Vita and I just started a play through (although I've been sidetracked by Guacamelee! right now).

holy FUCK

...thanks for the info.. :)

Yeah. But, that's -every- single mod you could ever possibly need ever again. Bootleg does a great job of telling you what you need so you can find it, so I suppose it'd be easier to pick/choose.

I can't confirm this yet, either, but it seems that using Bootleg converts the digital release to the old PC release, which disables Cloud saves/Achievements/"Boosters"? I also wonder what else converting it to that release does.

Debating if I should get it or not...is there a way to have your saves be stored on your hard drive and not a cloud?

Your saves are stored locally, too, it seems (just uh..don't uninstall the game :p)

I can't confirm this yet, either, but it seems that using Bootleg converts the digital release to the old PC release, which disables Cloud saves/Achievements/"Boosters"? I also wonder what else converting it to that release does.

I saw that too, which is sadly kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom