• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

Ydelnae

"Maybe the details as to why information couldn't be released might be touched upon at the next information announcement."

I hope you guys are already saving up for a PS5.

EDIT: Ooh, I got played by Exentryk. Anyway, keep those PS5 savings lmao

artsi

"So Nomura-san, how far along are we, is episode one ready next year?"
"Well, Hashimoto-san, let me tell you, we have this very beautiful CG movie..."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do think he would benefit from moving to 1-2 small projects at a time where finishing them is much easier and he can do what he wants to do in terms of promoting the titles.

I’m sure there are several people who would be willing to take over FF7R and Yasue already handles everything on Kingdom Hearts except for Nomura’s weekly check ins.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nomura has pulled this shit too many times for me to believe him. The second Versus went to Tabata, we got more open looks at development and where they were.

The reason he's not talking is because he's fucking another project into a decade death spiral and thats not positive press.

Sesha

Relieve him of his burden and let Ito take it.

tenor.gif

jett

D-Member
He gets me pumped when he talks about kh3. Here? I feel nothing

Dude flat out says that he wants to do something else. And they've barely started working on episode one.

I can see this going well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nomura definitely needs to get the boot from this project before it's too late and Squee got another clusterfuck in their hands. He doesn't want to work on this. He considers it a burden. Feels he's scolded by management. Just leave man.

Nomura has pulled this shit too many times for me to believe him. The second Versus went to Tabata, we got more open looks at development and where they were.

The reason he's not talking is because he's fucking another project into a decade death spiral and thats not positive press.

Exactly.

Koozek

They should just go ahead and reveal the new "Co"-Directors who will actually try to get the job done in the next 2-3 years.

artsi

Nomura: "I can't talk about my project because I was banned from it"
Tabata: "Oh, you want to see my project? Hold my beer"

GBijRVx.jpg

Boke1879

Nomura seems like he can't finish a project these days. I hope KH3 still releases next year. How involved is he in that these days?

Like many have said he needs to be put on smaller projects. Being a director doesn't suit him.

LordKasual

Banned
FF7R is likely going the exact same path that FFXV did, probably for the same reasons too.

It's the exact same thing -- immense hype at trailer, start production on game, "WAIT A SEC lets switch engines", "WAIT A SEC lets do this other game first", "WELL SHIT we waited so long lets just develop for another system/engine/console/whatever"

Nomura: "I can't talk about my project because I was banned from it"
Tabata: "Oh, you want to see my project? Hold my beer"

GBijRVx.jpg

the transparency with the work they did on FFXV was extremely exciting

but people bitched about almost every development reel they saw.

"why are they working on this? This game is never gonna be finished >:O "

brad-t

FF7R is likely going the exact same path that FFXV did, probably for the same reasons too.

It's the exact same thing -- immense hype at trailer, start production on game, "WAIT A SEC lets switch engines", "WAIT A SEC lets do this other game first", "WELL SHIT we waited so long lets just develop for another system/engine/console/whatever"

Well ...

To show something, Nomura actually has to get work done and meet deadlines. ATRs are probably not the place for him because of his slow way of doing work.

Nomura seems like he can't finish a project these days. I hope KH3 still releases next year. How involved is he in that these days?

Like many have said he needs to be put on smaller projects. Being a director doesn't suit him.

I mean the dude somehow turned a Final Fantasy/Disney crossover spinoff into one of Square's most prominent franchises, I'd say he can do fine as a director.

Nah it can be done, they just need to move Nomura away from it. With him leading. It'll never get done.

It's a shame they don't have a guy that helped carry four mainline FFs acting as the Producer of this project... oh wait... :p

Come on, Kitase. Time to get your hands dirty again.
You'd think that Sakaguchi drukenly talking about him being a better director than producer might have lit at least a little fire under his ass.

ultima786

It's amazing how much you all think you know when the reality is that you really haven't a clue about what goes on behind the scenes of a big company. Heresay I suppose is a normal part of internetz

Boke1879

I mean the dude somehow turned a Final Fantasy/Disney crossover spinoff into one of Square's most prominent franchises, I'd say he can do fine as a director.

Sure a while ago.

How involved is he in KH3. I mean that game is still taking a shit ton of time. We have a 2018 release date, but we don't know when. If he's unsure if he's able to meet deadlines he really should be more vocal about not taking on so many projects.

It's a shame they don't have a guy that helped carry four mainline FFs acting as the Producer of this project... oh wait... :p

Come on, Kitase. Time to get your hands dirty again.
You'd think that Sakaguchi drukenly talking about him being a better director than producer might have lit at least a little fire under his ass.

That man directed FFVI, Chrono Trigger, FFVII consecutively. A legend like that doesn't have to direct again for as long as he wants in my book.

Boke1879

It's amazing how much you all think you know when the reality is that you really haven't a clue about what goes on behind the scenes of a big company. Heresay I suppose is a normal part of internetz

You're right. We don't know. But it's becoming increasingly evident that Nomura can't juggle multiple projects and even just focusing on KH3 it's taking him way too long.

Sure a while ago.

How involved is he in KH3. I mean that game is still taking a shit ton of time. We have a 2018 release date, but we don't know when. If he's unsure if he's able to meet deadlines he really should be more vocal about not taking on so many projects.

Yeah I guess to that end I agree with you, there's no arguing that Nomura doesn't take a very long time and the man works on too many projects at once. Whatever he's doing it certainly needs to be streamlined better, but as someone who thinks SE's HD output has been extremely lacking from their core teams I would like to see what Nomura can actually do if he releases a product.

For KHIII, Nomura is director but my understanding is Yasue oversees day-to-day development.

LordKasual

Banned

He's also responsible for the Kingdom Hearts series.

And barring aside from, there are probably way too many of them

edit: you're talking about the KH series, lulz

but yeah, kingdom hearts

Anyway, there's way too much armchair developer commentary in these Square threads

Well, it's not technically done yet...

LordKasual

Banned
Well, it's not technically done yet...

Game's been done since release bro. Just because it was lacking in areas doesn't mean it was "unfinished".

And this was after BD2 had actually gone into full swing working on the title that they were posting engine development blogs and people were complaining about how they weren't actually working on the game.

Arkeband

Banned
Man he sure sounds enthusiastic about this project!

This is Nomura in every interview, he makes it sound like he's an undervalued corporate slave who is running on one hour of sleep, meanwhile he's off designing friggin Nomura Batman figurines.

FinalAres

How come this is always the case with him but any other square game can get happily spoiled?
It’s a remake of a game we played

It's precisely BECAUSE Nomura is a problem.

I'm not one of those people who hate on Nomura. But the one thing he is bad at is controlling the release of information. Believe it or not, Square Enix have actually probably learned from what went wrong with Versus (having to keep certain aspects of a game, because of set expectations), and are controlling him as a result. He may not like it but it's good they're doing it.

Tiops

He did that 15 years ago. Now he doesn't deliver anything at all. Square should stop giving him things because of one or two successfull games in the past decade. And I say this as someone who loves Kingdom Hearts.

jett

D-Member
An internet full of threads blaming you for literally everything they don't like concerning info will probably do that to you

So like every other thing on the internet ever?

He did that 15 years ago. Now he doesn't deliver anything at all. Square should stop giving him things because of one or two successfull games in the past decade. And I say this as someone who loves Kingdom Hearts.

Still bringing up Kingdom Hearts as a reason to "trust" Nomura is really ridiculous indeed. The man hasn't done shit in a long fucking time.

An internet full of threads blaming you for literally everything they don't like concerning info will probably do that to you

He's the only director that makes AAA games at the company that misses deadlines at every single opportunity. SE then decides to have him work on even more games. Who should the internet blame instead, the other big games that actually get completed on time from the company when other directors are on it?

Nomura should stick to designing characters from now on or some settings and leave project management to literally anybody else at SE. The is just not good at this particular job since SE has went to PS3 era. His stans need to accept reality, and by that I don't just mean gamers. I also mean the people high up who work for SE. That doesn't mean he can't be very helpful to SE, he can and should be used by them. Just not for project management as a director.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom