• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII was released 15 years ago

Toki767

The game that started the tradition of putting theme songs in Final Fantasy games.

Still need that standalone Triple Triad.

tehPete

Banned
I'm another who class this as their favourite FF; I was 15 when it came out - I played it solidly and completed it in just over two days. You can complain about the Junction system and Squall being a tosser all you want, but the story and other characters more than made up for it :)

d00d3n

My favorite final fantasy game. I probably preferred VII back in the day, but I did my first playthrough of VIII without understanding the basic systems such as junctions, guardian force abilities, refining and playing triple triad (summoned guardian forces to beat bosses ... lol). The game has endless possibilities when you begin to understand the interlocking systems. Sure, the battles get very easy when you start manipulating the game mechanics, but the real challenge in the game is really to use the advanced systems to their fullest potential. You feel so damn smart when you outclass your opponents through almost sequence break-like procurement of high level abilities and magic. All at level 1 one course ...

The best thing about FFVIII for me was that it was the follow-up to my favourite game of all time, and my expectations were so immense that the game had no chance of meeting them. And yet, it didn't disappoint. It wasn't as good as FFVII sure, but it delivered all the same, and was another game I could happily class as a masterpiece to cherish for the rest of my days.

Exploring Balamb Town with this music playing in the background... ahhh bliss.

How does that weak old geezer Cid get a babe like Edea?

VIII
inches

One of my favourites. Who did you guys use in your main party?

My team was: Squall/Zell/Rinoa

Zell, Squall, Quistis

A.K.A. Armageddon Fist, Renzokuken, and Mighty Guard/White Wind/Degenerator

Zell was replaceable, with almost anyone though. I was happy just spamming Renzo. Quistis' Blue Magic utility spells were super useful.

My favourite parts of FF VIII arw the opening video as that is still one of my all time favourites.

I loved the battle between Balamb and Galbadia garden as well. I just felt so pumped to go and kick their ass.

Saiyu

My first FF and still my favourite. I still remember getting that and a see through aquamarine memory card for my birthday. Couldn't stop playing; disc 1 was mindblowing.

maxresdefault.jpg

And ファイナルファンタジーVII was 15 years ago, two years ago!

Here's a little thing I wrote to commemorate some thoughts and feelings on the matter:

I did a thing. For this wonderful Christmas video game.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not about the spirit of Christmas in the traditional sense. It is, however, very much linked to that jolly holly day in my mind; due to the fanciful fact that I got this fantastic role playing game, on this very day, 15 years ago (I'd heard that it was created in a strange and wonderful land called...Japan).

Bearing in mind that this was the first Final Fantasy game that we got over here in the United Kingdom, and also the first one that was ever created on this newfangled Sony PlayStation thing. Well, let's just say there's a whole bunch of other reasons as to why this game has always stuck with me, even after 15 years have ticked by. And that's something I hope to explore in this series of daily videos, taking a stroll down this cold and frosty memory lane, warmed by the sights and sounds of...

Festive Final Fantasy VII (part one of a seven part playlist)

Is anyone else on these fine forums in the same boat as me? Was it your first Final Fantasy? Your last? Did you like, love or hate it? I distinctly remember the following trailer getting me so very fucking hype for this game (as well as the weeks of rereading the multi page previews in PlayStation Power). For all the love/hate that FF7 catches (from both the Sephiroth-swooning fans, or those who are nihilist about Nomura), I'm still very much of the mind that this game holds up in so many ways that it was worth revisiting.

A totally sick TV advert for the game

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/final-fantasy-vii/3030-13053/forums/festive-final-fantasy-vii-572321/

With regards to VIII, I can't say that I've ever gotten past the first one or two hours of the game. Despite having picked it up and played it probably a dozen times over the years. Now that's not due to any major fault of the game (at least in terms of anything I specifically remember disliking), it looks and sounds gorgeous, starts off well enough with its introduction to the setting and the characters. I just didn't get grabbed by it at the time, or ever since. Maybe next year I'll sit down and force myself to put some time into it, I'm given to understand that it's a pretty good Final Fantasy video game.

I love this game. For me, better than FF VII.

I agree with you 100%, though our opinions are mostly unmirrored in the majority of the gaming community. More interesting combat system (though sadly easy to manipulate to be broken fairly early on, destroying the game's difficulty), an actual english translation (versus FF7's which is distractingly bad...), and had 3D models that didn't look like something I made (noting I have no experience with modeling OR am very artistic in general)

czk

Typical COD gamer
Why doesn't Square update the backgrounds? They are all prerendered, so they only need to render them at higher resolution. I would buy that version in a second. Maybe they lost their data?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why doesn't Square update the backgrounds? They are all prerendered, so they only need to render them at higher resolution. I would buy that version in a second. Maybe they lost their data?

Even assuming Squeenix had access to VII and VIII's source assets I doubt they were rendered at a much higher resolution in the first place -- it was the 90s, after all, and the games were largely intended for the PSX.

Even assuming Squeenix had access to VII and VIII's source assets I doubt they were rendered at a much higher resolution in the first place -- it was the 90s, after all, and the games were largely intended for the PSX.

That's why he proposed to render them again at a higher resolution.

Even though I'm a big fan of the PS1 FFs i wouldn't buy such a version though. Not a fan of remakes like those.

Hasney

Even though I'm a big fan of the PS1 FFs i wouldn't buy such a version though. Not a fan of remakes like those.

Yeah same. The game is very playable now, I'd rather they didn't end up messing with the art. They wouldn't just render them at a higher resolution, we've seen SE do some horrible things to original artworks.

It always baffles me that so many game companies didn't keep their original assets/code. I guess for a lot of systems back in the day it made sense (you didn't "port" code from (S)NES to master system/master system, you completely rewrote games which is why you have the same games on different systems often being completely different) at least for the source code... but even then you'd still have to release the occasional new version of a cart with bug fixes (see FF3 SNES)

Hasney

It always baffles me that so many game companies didn't keep their original assets/code. I guess for a lot of systems back in the day it made sense (you didn't "port" code from (S)NES to master system/master system, you completely rewrote games which is why you have the same games on different systems often being completely different) at least for the source code... but even then you'd still have to release the occasional new version of a cart with bug fixes (see FF3 SNES)

Yeah, apparently Sega lost a ton, yet have a vault of old things. No idea why old sources and assets shouldn't be there too.

Kysen

My first ff game and what a game it was. loved everything about it. Got me into jrpgs. The cg back then was something else, that ragnarok scene damn..

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Phenomenal soundtrack and stunning visuals for the time, the junction system was ...different, and easy to abuse if you knew how, and time consuming early on.
I still can't decide which game between VIII and XIII has the worst cast of characters and most discombobulated plot.

Still, I can replay VIII, for what it is, and enjoy it. I'm actually going to try my first replay of XIII to see if I feel differently about it at all.

Also "Find Your Way" is the best song, its true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0T6Xh5VXY

czk

Typical COD gamer
Yeah same. The game is very playable now, I'd rather they didn't end up messing with the art. They wouldn't just render them at a higher resolution, we've seen SE do some horrible things to original artworks.
Yeah, I hope SE won't start messing with the art, it sure looks just fine right now...

I recently installed my old pc ver of FF8 and IMO it's unplayable on new displays.
It looked ok on CRT monitors but when you upscale the game to 1080p you can't see shit in the backdrops. The battles and characters look ok, but those background desperately need to be rendered at a higher res.

Z3M0G

15 years?! Now I feel old...

Originally I struggled with it. some of it was down to expectation after the beast that was FFVII (still arguably my favourite game of all time), I struggled to get to grips with the Battle System and at times Squall reminded me too much of myself back then (although I always loved him as a character and still do.)

I did return to it as an adult though after a mate of mine at university helped me understand the benefits of the battle system and how to properly use it to boost the stats and I really warmed to it, so much that at places I feel like it really does rival FFVII in places (in fact I love it so much I even own two copies as a back-up on top of the one I bought off PSN),

Favourite moments:

- The opening Intro (Epic).

-The graduation dance (Still arguably the best cutscene ever. The acting, direction and pacing is phenomenal in that scene).

-Fighting the crab at Dollet (finished him off before the time limit).

- The ending of disk one once Edea deflects Irvine's shot.

- The Garden Battle. All of it. One of the greatest set-pieces in all the Final Fantasies and really gets the heart pumping (and emotions when Squall has to step up and become the leader you knew he would be).

-The revelation at the orphanage.

-The future city.

-That ending!

Damn I knew I shouldn't have read GAF now before going to work! I feel like calling in a sickie now and playing this awesome game one more time!

Now I really want to replay it...

Every time I start, I stop early into Disk 2... but there is so much good stuff yet to come.

Terra_Ex

I recently installed my old pc ver of FF8 and IMO it's unplayable on new displays.
It looked ok on CRT monitors but when you upscale the game to 1080p you can't see shit in the backdrops. The battles and characters look ok, but those background desperately need to be rendered at a higher res.

Does anyone know if Square kept the original FF8 assets and source code, I know that many devs destroy all their assets in an unholy ritual "lose" their assets after completing a project, which was reportedly the case with FF7. Had common sense prevailed upon FF8's completion or have the original assets for that also vanished without a trace?

My favorite Final Fantasy - haters be damned.

I still remember how blown away I was by the train level or the later Garden battles.

Or that one hockey rink where players you fought gave you insane XP.

These PSOne games still look damn good on the PS Vita's smaller screen. That's really the only way I can tolerate them anymore. They probably look pretty good through a Framemeister, too.

Hasney

Yeah, I hope SE won't start messing with the art, it sure looks just fine right now...

I don't disagree that they need it, I just don't trust SquareEnix to just leave it at that without ruining anything else to do with the look of the game.

Other than backgrounds, FF7 looks fine in a PS1 emulator with filters. The PC version really had no care involved at all.

Man

One of my most hyped games. For years I watched small two inch videos at IGN, humming along to the music, enjoying the Leviathan summon demos etc.

Its release actually came as a surprise because I was in the midst of puberty (15 years) and busy with new discoveries. One day (probably release day, some friday fall 1999 Europe) I came upon it in the store and took it straight to the counter. Called my best buddy which took a bus for a couple of hours and stayed at my place for the weekend. Non-stop FF8 gaming.

First half-an-hour was actually a disappointment(!) because of the graphics. In those two inch videos and magazine shots it looked SO clean but it was jaggied PSOne visuals which mixed badly with it's new-found realistic look.
I quickly got over that however and it became one of my favorite games of all time.

cafemomo

My favorite FF from the PS1 era and it's in my top 5 FFs

Had a GOAT OST

Squall and Laguna are among my two favorite male video game characters.

Rinoa and Quistis also are among my favorite female characters.

czk

Typical COD gamer
These PSOne games still look damn good on the PS Vita's smaller screen. That's really the only way I can tolerate them anymore. They probably look pretty good through a Framemeister, too.
I'm actually thinking of buying a PSP (the first one) to play some PSone classics. Are there any disadvantages of this solution? Does the PSP manage to play the games at the original frame rates? How are loading times?

Mr. RPG

Still remains one of the worst main series Final Fantasy games to this day.

Terrible story and character, but I actually liked the battle system a bit.

If you are wondering what kind of Final Fantasy games are my favorite.. then IX, VI, and IV are my favorites.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I had just started high school when this game came out. That makes me feel fucking old.

JaseC

He was asking why Squeenix hasn't used the source assets to create higher-res backgrounds, not why Squeenix hasn't recreated everything from scratch at a higher resolution.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There's a lot of things I've taken an issue with FFVIII about, from the story to the easily breakable gameplay.

But the nostalgia is too strong to resist. This will always be one of my all-time favorites.

Most atmospheric areas in the game:

- Dollet
- Galbadia Garden (both visits)
- Deling City
- Tomb of the Unknown King
- Missile Base
- The grand daddy of them all: Ultimecia Castle

Disc 1 of FFVIII is a classic. Disc 2 is heartwarming and has tons of exciting moments. Disc 3 has so much sidequest shit and exploration you can do. Disc 4 concludes the play magnificently.

120v

i've been playing it on steam ... first time i've played it in about a decade.

something about it sticks out with me, i don't know why but it's one of my favorite FFs, if not the favorite. but at the same time i think this game was the fulcrum that lead to a more streamlined and "j-pop" FF and paved the way for garbage like FFXIII. but there's no use in going into where the series went wrong, its been discussed enough

i think it could've been hands down one of the best FFs but it seems somewhere in the development cycle they were running out of time and they just condensed their story boards and wrapped things up. ... like, what was the point of seifer, really? it seems like they were setting him up for something, but he just sort of fades into the background. what's the deal with Laguna, what was it that he had to tell Squall that was so important. i extrapolated that Laguna's his dad, or something? just seems like there were alot of half baked ideas all around

that said, it's probably the last great original FF (loved FFIX but it was more of a tribute to classic FF)

He was asking why Squeenix hasn't used the source assets to create higher-res backgrounds, not why Squeenix hasn't recreated everything from scratch at a higher resolution.

Okay, there seems to be some kind of misunderstanding.
If they still had the original assets (as in model data etc., not the already rendered backgrounds), they could rerender them at higher resolutions.

JaseC

If they still had the original assets (as in model data etc., not the already rendered backgrounds), they could rerender them at higher resolutions.

Yes, but if the texture data isn't conducive to higher-resolution renders there's not a lot Squeenix can do outside of applying some sort of awful upscaling algorithm or recreating the backgrounds from scratch.

Yes, but if the texture data isn't conducive to higher-resolution renders there's not a lot Squeenix can do outside of applying some sort of awful upscaling algorithm or recreating the backgrounds from scratch.

The textures may not look up to date but are far from being the main problem imo. Just rendering the scenes at higher resolutions would help significantly.

Not sure about FFVIII but in the case of FFIX the backgrounds were matte-painted (at target resolution) by 2D artists in addition to rendered. They weren't just computer-generated 3D renders.

Top Bottom