• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Free Login Campaign (12.1.2015 - 12.31.2015)

Yogg

Do those 4 limited days give access to the expansion for the accounts that didn't buy it before going inactive ?

I played a ton up to the expansion and stopped a few months before because I just hate the idea of clearing the board (and months of grinding) with new levels and gear to grind from zero everywhere. But I'd be curious to see how it all evolved.

Kyzer

Banned
For WAR it's really just Overpower for initial group hate, Storms Eye combo to get Maim buff, and then Butcher's Block combo for enmity. Use Defiance skills whenever you get V stacks.

For Bard just put up your Straight Shot and two dots and spam heavy shot lol.

Takes like 5 minutes to remember everything probably.

haha okay sounds good, maybe this month will be when i get sucked

studyguy

WAR didn't change much. BRD got a caster mode now but you don't really need to use it till level 54.

I guess I could try to sum up the bigger playstyle changes.

PLD: ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER
WAR: WE'RE A DPS NOW
BRD: WHY CAN'T I MOVE, FUCK THIS GOING MCH
BLM: I STILL CAN'T MOVE BUT NOW I CAN'T MOVE OUT OF THIS CIRCLE
SMN: WE BAHAMUT NOW
WHM: WHAT DO YOU MEAN CLERIC STANCE IS USELESS IN PVP
SCH: HEAL PEOPLE, EAT FARIES
NIN: MUDRAS ACTUALLY WORK

For the new jobs:

MCH: I STILL CAN'T MOVE BUT AT LEAST I HAVE A GUN NOW
DRK: EDGY PALADINS WITH AWFUL AURAS
AST: plap .

It's been wonderful

JSoup

Banned
Nice, this'll let me finish all the pre-3.0 crap I didn't get to. I'm guessing, even as a loggin period, I'll still need Heavensward to go any farther.

Bluenoser

Awesome of you to post this. Last time there was a free login, it was just about the time the Gold Saucer was implemented, and SE being SE, sent me an email to notify me of the free login..... after the free login was over.

I'm subbed again now, but great for people who want to try it out. The game is actually quite fun these days but I just got hooked on Fallout 4 yesterday....

Nameless

Cool move. Played a TON of FFXIV over the summer and loved it but was completely burned out by the time I finished ARR and the post game story. While I definitely want to go back , playthrough Heavensward, and get to 60 at some point, I have neither the time or the HDD space for it right now.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Got super burned out trying to grind to 60. But I'll log in and try to finish it up.

I love XIV but the amount of time and effort it takes to get from 50 to 60 is just ridiculous.

whut? it's super fast..most people in my FC including me hit 60 3 days after release. you can do it <3! I cheer for you :D

WAR didn't change much. BRD got a caster mode now but you don't really need to use it till level 54.

I guess I could try to sum up the bigger playstyle changes.

PLD: Got 2 new combo paths and some poopy utility.
WAR: Got dedicated DPS stance with a lot of buttons analogous to existing Defiance skills.
BRD: Has cast bars now and a DOT timer reset so you spend less time re-upping dots.
BLM: Has a new buff to upkeep. I don't know BLM much but they seem even more dependent on being a turret.
SMN: Builds stacks for Dreadwyrm Trance, a temporary damage buff state.
WHM: Got a new emergency heal! Also Stone III.
SCH: Got Adloquium spread and ability to put out higher potency heals like WHM.
NIN: Armor Crush to extend Huton so no more spending mudras on Huton.
DRG: Got Greased Lightning and a 4th hit to their combos.
MNK: Tools to help upkeep GL and buttons to press during downtime. No significant rotation change besides the opener.

For the new jobs:

MCH: Lower cooldown on Quick Reload.
DRK: Can disable Darkside glow!!!!!
AST: I think AST got the most actual tweaks and buff since 3.0 launched so if you weren't happy with them then they're probably worth checking out again.

I had main class brd since...2010. this fucking patch ruined it for me :_:

I felt the impulse to redownload it and see how my WHM and SCH are doing. And then I remembered being rushed through max level dungeons and why I stopped playing in the first place.

I do miss spamming casting Holy, though.

whm is actually the strongest DD now. healing just if really needed. DDs should hit shit/dodge shit.
joking but assize man. awesome :D

TalonJH

Do those 4 limited days give access to the expansion for the accounts that didn't buy it before going inactive ?

I played a ton up to the expansion and stopped a few months before because I just hate the idea of clearing the board (and months of grinding) with new levels and gear to grind from zero everywhere. But I'd be curious to see how it all evolved.

Hmm, I would bet that it only gives you access to whatever you've purchased. Meaning no HW if you never picked it up. Would had been a good incentive for people that haven't played HW but I don't know how they could make it work for people after the Free Login Champaign.

Awesome of you to post this. Last time there was a free login, it was just about the time the Gold Saucer was implemented, and SE being SE, sent me an email to notify me of the free login..... after the free login was over.

I'm subbed again now, but great for people who want to try it out. The game is actually quite fun these days but I just got hooked on Fallout 4 yesterday....

NP

Wagram

Here's hoping the next expansion feels like an expansion rather than a content update. Heavensward harmed XIV significantly on my server among people who've been playing for a long time.

Honestly, the "expac" and that gap between 3.0 and 3.1 killed all my interest in the game, and i'm only subbed at this point to keep my mansion. For reference; I was a launch legacy player.

TalonJH

Cool, I'll be able to play the new patch.

3.1's story is pretty interesting but short so you should be able to easily finish it in a couple hours and then do everything else.

Here's hoping the next expansion feels like an expansion rather than a content update. Heavensward harmed XIV significantly on my server among people who've been playing for a long time.

Honestly, the "expac" and that gap between 3.0 and 3.1 killed all my interest in the game, and i'm only subbed at this point to keep my mansion. For reference; I was a launch legacy player.

HW was fine for the most part. I just think we let ourselves get to hyped up for it. SE set this inflated idea of what a patch should be and then when we got to HW, we just expected way more when they basically just gave use the equivalent of maybe 3 patches.

Squishy3

On second thought, since 3.1 is short I'll wait till more content is released.
There won't be a significant update to the game before this promotion runs out, since it ends at this month. 3.15 hits this month and they'll introduce the new relic and the Saint Endalim Scholasticate questline, but I think that's it. But you wouldn't be able to claim the free login for 3.2, since it'll have expired.

Wow, a whole month?
The more I hear news about this game, the more I believe that the game is going buy 2 play soon. Lots of steep deals lately. It's a good thing imho, but I know that lots of FFXIV fans will be outrage if it were.

Edit: Ok, didn't actually read through the OP, my bad. Apparently it's only 96 hours in a month? Kinda weird free login campaign.

RK9039

I logged in but it wants me to enter a Heavensward registration key again? I did that months ago when it first came out, weird.

nikos

I logged in but it wants me to enter a Heavensward registration key again? I did that months ago when it first came out, weird.

Asked me as well. Don't bother entering it because you'll get an error saying it's been used. Skip entry and play as you normally would.

Kyzer

Banned
96 hours is a long time. Boiling it down to four days is like saying Zelda only takes a day and a half to beat.

Spencircuit

Neo Member
This is nice timing, I was just talking to a friend about missing this game's environments.

I haven't played since the beta and first month of ARR though, but I have a DRG at 50.

Hopefully I'll have a lot of new content to explore.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Logged in for the first time in months and was greeted by this:

xyz4h0s.png

I take back every bad thing I ever said about FF14.

JudgeN

Hmm wonder if I should bother to login and try the new dungeons/primal fight/story missions. I hear sky item is a massive cluster fuck so ill probably skip that.

This is great news! Goes long enough that it won't interfere with school :)
Never finished the main story quests in this game so it would be a good thing to do over Christmas break I guess.

RK9039

Asked me as well. Don't bother entering it because you'll get an error saying it's been used. Skip entry and play as you normally would.

Thanks, I'm in now.

I'm way behind, I haven't even done any of the Alex normal stuff. I think I'm just going to run around and do other fun stuff instead of the end game grind.

TalonJH

Wow, a whole month?
The more I hear news about this game, the more I believe that the game is going buy 2 play soon. Lots of steep deals lately. It's a good thing imho, but I know that lots of FFXIV fans will be outrage if it were.

Edit: Ok, didn't actually read through the OP, my bad. Apparently it's only 96 hours in a month? Kinda weird free login campaign.

It's mostly for people who haven't logged in and want to experience some of the new content and changes. New plays can play for a month through the free trial.

Shahed

Haven't got Heavensward. I used to main DRG/WAR. I preferred Warrior for the general queue (Expert Roulette and other stuff) times which were atrocious as a DPS, but I also prefered playing as a Dragoon more on Trials since I was much better at it due to it being my initial class. Are they still roughly the same to play as?

Samus4145

If love to jump back into the game, but SE screwed up my account. According to them my email doesn't exist, yet I have the email linking my email and PSN ID.

Capella

Awesome, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to subscribe this month. I'll probably login when Starlight Celebration starts.

Ken

Haven't got Heavensward. I used to main DRG/WAR. I preferred Warrior for the general queue (Expert Roulette and other stuff) times which were atrocious as a DPS, but I also prefered playing as a Dragoon more on Trials since I was much better at it due to it being my initial class. Are they still roughly the same to play as?

Warrior is.

Dragoon now has Blood of the Dragon that adds a 4th hit to your combo and lets you use Geirskogul, an oGCD attack. Using Geirskogul reduces Blood time while using 4th hit increases. Maximizing Dragoon now is getting the maximum Geirskoguls in per Blood while not losing any 4th hits.

Shahed

Warrior is.

Dragoon now has Blood of the Dragon that adds a 4th hit to your combo and lets you use Geirskogul, an oGCD attack. Using Geirskogul reduces Blood time while using 4th hit increases. Maximizing Dragoon now is getting the maximum Geirskoguls in per Blood while not losing any 4th hits.
Monk style huh? I did actually enjoy playing ae a Monk and figuring out ways to maintain Greased Lightning by doing stuff such as attacking the bombs against Titan. I never took it seriously though because the time investment for gear wouldn't have been worth it. Sounds like a nice change for Dragoons though to spice it up since their rotation grew very easy.

Still I'll probably play as a Warrior. Having only four days means I don't want to waste time queuing for all those dungeons.

TalonJH

Monk style huh? I did actually enjoy playing ae a Monk and figuring out ways to maintain Greased Lightning by doing stuff such as attacking the bombs against Titan. I never took it seriously though because the time investment for gear wouldn't have been worth it. Sounds like a nice change for Dragoons though to spice it up since their rotation grew very easy.

Still I'll probably play as a Warrior. Having only four days means I don't want to waste time queuing for all those dungeons.

The 4th attack is also random between two attacks called Wheeling Thrust(rear positional) and Fang and Claw(side positional). These abilities keep BoD going.

It's mostly for people who haven't logged in and want to experience some of the new content and changes. New plays can play for a month through the free trial.

I see. So that just kinda confirms my suspicion. They are totally looking for new players, like, badly need them.
I wonder if the game will do better with buy to play model. The game already has quite a robust cash shop anyway.

I see. So that just kinda confirms my suspicion. They are totally looking for new players, like, badly need them.
I wonder if the game will do better with buy to play model. The game already has quite a robust cash shop anyway.

I wouldn't call what's offered robust in the slightest. They would have to redesign and limit a ton of current and future stuff in order to build a cash shop that could support or justfify a B2P, which they have already said will not happen anytime soon.

Arkeband

Banned
The 4th attack is also random between two attacks called Wheeling Thrust(rear positional) and Fang and Claw(side positional). These abilities keep BoD going.

It's pretty obnoxious, considering most bosses spin around to face the group and whatnot, while you need to stack on people and spread out, making it near impossible to pull off "perfect" rotations.

Monks are easier since their positionals lose them like 1/6th potency instead of 1/3rd when incorrect.

Ff14 lost tons of sub over couple of months so i heard.

They really screwed up this expansion. There are a lot of dishonest players who like to pretend the game is better than it's ever been, but we're at least three months away from the next content patch which finally continues the lackluster endgame.

But the loudest section of the community is more concerned with hairstyles and minions rather than making the core experience, the PVE, robust and on-par with other MMO offerings. The best you can do now to keep yourself busy in PVE is grinding out alternate jobs with mind numbing FATE farming or dungeon runs.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I didn't realize logging in started a 4 day timer. I thought it was just a cumulative 96 hours. I shoulda known that sounded too good to be true. Oh well looks like my free time is going to be up before this weekend. I might be able to finish my paladin zodiac weapon in that time, but I won't lose any sleep if I don't.

I'm so torn on this game. I don't like the way its content functions, by and large. I grew to really loathe my time with the game, repeating the same handful of dungeons over and over again. It felt like progressing thru the actual zones of the game was such a small fraction of my time spent with it, and all the other time was just grinding. Non-stop grinding.

So for those reasons, I have no desire to spend a monthly fee to play this game. But I do love its style and its environments a lot. I would love to just hang out with my friends in there and be social and feed my chocobo a couple times a day. If I could pay some upfront cost to be able to do that and not have to worry about maintaining a subscription and keeping expansions up to date, I totally would.

Shamdeo

Maybe you could subscribe for the patch months, and just unsub when you finish? Would be better than a recurring sub if you don't play as long as others.

thaaaaaank you making this thread :D been waiting for another one of these

i almost went in the OT a couple times to remind people to maybe make a thread should this happen post-expansion again but i figured i shouldn't be lazy and just keep watching the lodestone website every weekend hehehe

going to update and play tonight~ been a few months since the last free weekend

Arkeband

Banned
Maybe you could subscribe for the patch months, and just unsub when you finish? Would be better than a recurring sub if you don't play as long as others.

That's how a lot of people play, and actually how I played until I stupidly committed myself to a raid group before realizing the raiding is garbage.

Top Bottom