• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 hours played (around 1 and half hour idling in menus for break :p) and currently in a little over in Chapter 6, here are my general impressions. Prepare for a lengthy post. Excuse the mistakes as I am sleepy right now after playing the game for 10+ hours non-stop.

I just want to clear my position so people can understand my point of view. I am one of those FF fans who were waiting for the revered Versus XIII, however unlike others, I have zero issues against the changes that were made during the transition to FFXV. So this being the most anticipated game of the year for me, did it meet my expectation? I will say yes, it did.

The game starts rather slowly and almost without any of the visual spectacle that the series has been known for in the past. Sounds terrible, right? Well, don't worry, once we progress further in the game and it slowly opens up, we begin to experience the fantastical elements, the feeling of exploration, discovering of new locales that were so common with the old Final Fantasy games. Remember how we used to venture on world map to unknown locales in the classic FF games? This feeling is still present in FFXV and while it took a while for us to get here, this is a huge step up from what we had in FFXIII. No more linear corridors with random fights one after another.

Regalia

The car is a vital part of the experience, but it is integrated in a way that it never feels forced to me. The main reason it feels this way is because unless we have discovered every nook and cranny of the map, we can use the car to travel to the undiscovered locations and unlock the points of interest on the map using this way. There is the option to fast travel to a. Parking spots b. Outposts, but the fast travel can get in the way of the road trip aspect. Although if you are travelling to a location where you have already discovered everything, fast travel is the preferred choice. Aside from utilizing the fast travel from car, the game also gives the option to fast travel from anywhere to a. Location of car b. Location of the last rest stop. This means that even if we are travelling on foot, we can utilize the fast travel option to save a lot of our valuable time. We can also fast travel back to the entrance of a dungeon once we are done with it, or we can stay there to discover any left behind secrets. There is no shortage of such options here.

Story

Regarding the story, it won't be easy to explain how it works without venturing into spoiler territory, but compared to the past Final Fantasy games, it lacks the visual punch to deliver a strong narrative. This is supplemented by the whole open world aspect, which was to be expected. But fear not, while there are some chapters that lack in story, we also get to witness some crazy moments and sequences in story form. Even if these are far and few in between, they are still pretty amazing and remind me of the FFs of the old with their set pieces and boss fights. I am still in Chapter 6 and hearing about how the game becomes more linear and story focused later, I am pretty damn excited to play through it myself.

That said, I don't understand this 'PSP-style cutscene' complaint. The cutscenes are not directed by Martin Scorsese, but they get their job done, which is to portray the various scenarios presented in the game. The beginning has some weak cutscenes but as we progress further, the quality of the scenes is better here. There is not much of an abundant of the cutscenes explaining the story so it is hard to establish a clear narrative in the early chapters. We are basically venturing forth from one point to the next, so story won't be the best part of experience in the early chapters. From what we have heard though, the stronger focus on story starts in the second half. I can't comment on it as I have yet to experience it.

Thankfully the lack of story is offset by the gorgeous open world. If you think the first two chapters have a lot to offer, wait till you get to Duscae, which is the next region after Leide. We might have already experienced it in the Episode Duscae demo, but the final game is way bigger in size than the demo, and it also offers a lot of content and locales that need to be explored. Duscae also gives us access to Chocobos, which can be leveled up by utilizing them in exploration. They get stat boosts like better stamina/jump and can also learn moves that they can utilize in battles to help us.

Combat

The combat is totally hold button to win. Not really, lol. I shrug my head whenever i hear someone say this comment regarding the combat in the game, because it isn't true. So let me go into detail on why? To begin, keeping the O button pressed results in a combo from the weapon in hand, right? But what makes it different here is that we can basically select any of the four weapons in real-time during the combo. Selecting a different weapon in the middle of a combo results in a different attack. There are a variety of weapons available for heavy, light and ranged attacks. Some are good for mid-air combat while others offer a swift but low power attack. Mixing and matching is essential if we want to keep a good combo going on. This might not be evident in the starting area, where the enemies are usually easy to fight, but as we progress further and accept the difficult hunts or encounter high level enemies during exploration, we have to utilize each and every aspect of the combat system in order to beat them.

The combat is a combination of warp strikes, phasing (defense), counter/parry and magic. Later in the game, we also get Armiger which is essentially Noctis in Berserk mode. In my case, I utilize both - hold button to attack - along with button presses to execute only a certain part of the combo before I switch weapons. I use a particular weapon to warp strike to enemy, switch to a light weapon to start a combo, then switch to a lance to start a mid-air combo. I switch back and forth between weapons and honestly I don't know if anyone is able to enjoy the system if all he is doing is mash the attack button with the same weapon. I also highly doubt he will be able to progress further in the game using this strategy.

Difficulty

The game isn't necessarily difficult on the normal difficulty setting, but if we don't master how to properly dodge, we will be taking a lot of damage from enemies which means we will be getting in critical state easily. Enemies are able to quickly take down our health so once I begin chapter 3 and started to encounter high level enemies, I had to learn to dodge properly with parry, so I could stand a chance. Just rushing to enemies and button mashing to victory is not possible in this case, unless we are way over-leveled.

Magic

My first impressions regarding the magic weren't so positive as I didn't really understand the system. As I played further, I started to realize how we could create powerful variations of the standard magic spells like Fira and Firaga. These type of spells can come quite handy especially if we are dealing with a group of enemies. So while the magic system might be a mixed bag for some people, properly utilizing it can give additional benefits in the battle. The magic that we craft can be stored in flask and they are limited in the start, but more are unlocked with time as we explore and discover them. We can also equip them to a party member who will be able to use them in battle. It is not essential in surviving the game, but it is a good addition nonetheless and if we are able to exploit its full potential, it can make short work of horde of enemies.

Party Members

I really hated Prompto but as I have played more of the game, he has quickly grown as a character for me and he is easily the most likeable among all the party members. Each member of the party gets a decent amount of exposure and they all share their thoughts over the current situation. Prompto is able to snap memorable photos while Ignis' cooking is the backbone for some of the tougher battles. I wasn't really sold on the food concept but it doesn't take long to realize that the food buffs can help in some of the more difficult battles and since Ignis cooks for free (aside from ingredients required), his meals start to become handy. We can also eat from outposts/restaurants to get stats buff but some of the more powerful buffs are expensive AF, which is where Ignis can come in handy.

The party members have their own side quests. Those who played the Duscae demo might have an idea what I am talking about. These short quests are often fun to try and they bring a side of their personality that is usually missed during the course of the journey. To encounter these quests, we have to rest at the various camp points and depending on the situation, we can get one of the party member to invite us to an event related to their work. Ignis offered me a cooking lesson while Promoto wanted me to take a picture with Catobeplas. These are nice distractions in their own way.

Sidequests

There are tons of side quests in FFXV. I did a count of how much I had attempted and how much I completed and I found around 14 completed side quests while 16 side quests were activated and ready to be completed. Aside from the quests, we also have hunts, racing with chocobos and fishing mini game to keep ourselves occupied during the first couple of chapters. The quests can offer new equipment, currency or experience points, so while they might suck or feel boring, there is still an incentive to complete them. I didn't really hate them and I don't consider them comparable to MMO-type quests. Overall, they work well enough and each quest usually fits well within the particular area so it doesn't feel forced. As an example, Wiz Chocobo Post will offer quests that deal with missing or injured Chocobos. He also offers the Dead Eye quest which again deals with Chocobos.

Monsters/Enemies

FFXV excels in its monster design. It is perhaps one of the best FF in this regard. There is such a huge variety of monsters in the game that it is astonishing. Some of them are huge like the Catoplebas while others can be intimidating just from appearance like the Naga. They all have unique traits and attack animations. The Naga is able to transform Noctis and his friends into frog, which we can cure by remedy. The goblins and imps are thieves and can steal out items. So there is a wide variety of monsters and they all have a unique approach to fighting them, which makes exploration fun. I also encountered several high level monsters that easily kicked my ass like the Griffin or the Midgar Soromon, both of whom were around level 53 when I saw them, so i had to make a run for it.

The monsters also change between the dynamic day and night cycle. In addition to the dynamic cycle, we also have weather added on top of it. So even though we might be similar looking locations, the changed weather and TOD makes the experience far from repetitive. Over 16 hours into the game, I was still seeing new monsters and I hadn't even explored the full world map. There is a good density of the monsters available and we also get an item called 'beast whistle' which lets us summon monsters at any point on the world map. It can be good for grinding out levels. Just get a experience points boost from food and grind at a location with high level enemies.

I can write more but I think this is more than enough. Remember, these are impressions from the first 6 chapters only. Again excuse any mistake as I am really sleepy right now and just wanted to post impressions before I hit the bed.

Skulldead

16 hours played (around 1 and half hour idling in menus for break :p) and currently in a little over in Chapter 6, here are my general impressions. Prepare for a lengthy post. Excuse the mistakes as I am sleepy right now after playing the game for 10+ hours non-stop.

I just want to clear my position so people can understand my point of view. I am one of those FF fans who were waiting for the revered Versus XIII, however unlike others, I have zero issues against the changes that were made during the transition to FFXV. So this being the most anticipated game of the year for me, did it meet my expectation? I will say yes, it did.

The game starts rather slowly and almost without any of the visual spectacle that the series has been known for in the past. Sounds terrible, right? Well, don't worry, once we progress further in the game and it slowly opens up, we begin to experience the fantastical elements, the feeling of exploration, discovering of new locales that were so common with the old Final Fantasy games. Remember how we used to venture on world map to unknown locales in the classic FF games? This feeling is still present in FFXV and while it took a while for us to get here, this is a huge step up from what we had in FFXIII. No more linear corridors with random fights one after another.

Regalia

The car is a vital part of the experience, but it is integrated in a way that it never feels forced to me. The main reason it feels this way is because unless we have discovered every nook and cranny of the map, we can use the car to travel to the undiscovered locations and unlock the points of interest on the map using this way. There is the option to fast travel to a. Parking spots b. Outposts, but the fast travel can get in the way of the road trip aspect. Although if you are travelling to a location where you have already discovered everything, fast travel is the preferred choice. Aside from utilizing the fast travel from car, the game also gives the option to fast travel from anywhere to a. Location of car b. Location of the last rest stop. This means that even if we are travelling on foot, we can utilize the fast travel option to save a lot of our valuable time. We can also fast travel back to the entrance of a dungeon once we are done with it, or we can stay there to discover any left behind secrets. There is no shortage of such options here.

Story

Regarding the story, it won't be easy to explain how it works without venturing into spoiler territory, but compared to the past Final Fantasy games, it lacks the visual punch to deliver a strong narrative. This is supplemented by the whole open world aspect, which was to be expected. But fear not, while there are some chapters that lack in story, we also get to witness some crazy moments and sequences in story form. Even if these are far and few in between, they are still pretty amazing and remind me of the FFs of the old with their set pieces and boss fights. I am still in Chapter 6 and hearing about how the game becomes more linear and story focused later, I am pretty damn excited to play through it myself.

That said, I don't understand this 'PSP-style cutscene' complaint. The cutscenes are not directed by Martin Scorsese, but they get their job done, which is to portray the various scenarios presented in the game. The beginning has some weak cutscenes but as we progress further, the quality of the scenes is better here. There is not much of an abundant of the cutscenes explaining the story so it is hard to establish a clear narrative in the early chapters. We are basically venturing forth from one point to the next, so story won't be the best part of experience in the early chapters. From what we have heard though, the stronger focus on story starts in the second half. I can't comment on it as I have yet to experience it.

Thankfully the lack of story is offset by the gorgeous open world. If you think the first two chapters have a lot to offer, wait till you get to Duscae, which is the next region after Leide. We might have already experienced it in the Episode Duscae demo, but the final game is way bigger in size than the demo, and it also offers a lot of content and locales that need to be explored. Duscae also gives us access to Chocobos, which can be leveled up by utilizing them in exploration. They get stat boosts like better stamina/jump and can also learn moves that they can utilize in battles to help us.

Combat

The combat is totally hold button to win. Not really, lol. I shrug my head whenever i hear someone say this comment regarding the combat in the game, because it isn't true. So let me go into detail on why? To begin, keeping the O button pressed results in a combo from the weapon in hand, right? But what makes it different here is that we can basically select any of the four weapons in real-time during the combo. Selecting a different weapon in the middle of a combo results in a different attack. There are a variety of weapons available for heavy, light and ranged attacks. Some are good for mid-air combat while others offer a swift but low power attack. Mixing and matching is essential if we want to keep a good combo going on. This might not be evident in the starting area, where the enemies are usually easy to fight, but as we progress further and accept the difficult hunts or encounter high level enemies during exploration, we have to utilize each and every aspect of the combat system in order to beat them.

The combat is a combination of warp strikes, phasing (defense), counter/parry and magic. Later in the game, we also get Armiger which is essentially Noctis in Berserk mode. In my case, I utilize both - hold button to attack - along with button presses to execute only a certain part of the combo before I switch weapons. I use a particular weapon to warp strike to enemy, switch to a light weapon to start a combo, then switch to a lance to start a mid-air combo. I switch back and forth between weapons and honestly I don't know if anyone is able to enjoy the system if all he is doing is mash the attack button with the same weapon. I also highly doubt he will be able to progress further in the game using this strategy.

Difficulty

The game isn't necessarily difficult on the normal difficulty setting, but if we don't master how to properly dodge, we will be taking a lot of damage from enemies which means we will be getting in critical state easily. Enemies are able to quickly take down our health so once I begin chapter 3 and started to encounter high level enemies, I had to learn to dodge properly with parry, so I could stand a chance. Just rushing to enemies and button mashing to victory is not possible in this case, unless we are way over-leveled.

Magic

My first impressions regarding the magic weren't so positive as I didn't really understand the system. As I played further, I started to realize how we could create powerful variations of the standard magic spells like Fira and Firaga. These type of spells can come quite handy especially if we are dealing with a group of enemies. So while the magic system might be a mixed bag for some people, properly utilizing it can give additional benefits in the battle. The magic that we craft can be stored in flask and they are limited in the start, but more are unlocked with time as we explore and discover them. We can also equip them to a party member who will be able to use them in battle. It is not essential in surviving the game, but it is a good addition nonetheless and if we are able to exploit its full potential, it can make short work of horde of enemies.

Party Members

I really hated Prompto but as I have played more of the game, he has quickly grown as a character for me and he is easily the most likeable among all the party members. Each member of the party gets a decent amount of exposure and they all share their thoughts over the current situation. Prompto is able to snap memorable photos while Ignis' cooking is the backbone for some of the tougher battles. I wasn't really sold on the food concept but it doesn't take long to realize that the food buffs can help in some of the more difficult battles and since Ignis cooks for free (aside from ingredients required), his meals start to become handy. We can also eat from outposts/restaurants to get stats buff but some of the more powerful buffs are expensive AF, which is where Ignis can come in handy.

The party members have their own side quests. Those who played the Duscae demo might have an idea what I am talking about. These short quests are often fun to try and they bring a side of their personality that is usually missed during the course of the journey. To encounter these quests, we have to rest at the various camp points and depending on the situation, we can get one of the party member to invite us to an event related to their work. Ignis offered me a cooking lesson while Promoto wanted me to take a picture with Catobeplas. These are nice distractions in their own way.

Sidequests

There are tons of side quests in FFXV. I did a count of how much I had attempted and how much I completed and I found around 14 completed side quests while 16 side quests were activated and ready to be completed. Aside from the quests, we also have hunts, racing with chocobos and fishing mini game to keep ourselves occupied during the first couple of chapters. The quests can offer new equipment, currency or experience points, so while they might suck or feel boring, there is still an incentive to complete them. I didn't really hate them and I don't consider them comparable to MMO-type quests. Overall, they work well enough and each quest usually fits well within the particular area so it doesn't feel forced. As an example, Wiz Chocobo Post will offer quests that deal with missing or injured Chocobos. He also offers the Dead Eye quest which again deals with Chocobos.

Monsters/Enemies

FFXV excels in its monster design. It is perhaps one of the best FF in this regard. There is such a huge variety of monsters in the game that it is astonishing. Some of them are huge like the Catoplebas while others can be intimidating just from appearance like the Naga. They all have unique traits and attack animations. The Naga is able to transform Noctis and his friends into frog, which we can cure by remedy. The goblins and imps are thieves and can steal out items. So there is a wide variety of monsters and they all have a unique approach to fighting them, which makes exploration fun. I also encountered several high level monsters that easily kicked my ass like the Griffin or the Midgar Soromon, both of whom were around level 53 when I saw them, so i had to make a run for it.

The monsters also change between the dynamic day and night cycle. In addition to the dynamic cycle, we also have weather added on top of it. So even though we might be similar looking locations, the changed weather and TOD makes the experience far from repetitive. Over 16 hours into the game, I was still seeing new monsters and I hadn't even explored the full world map. There is a good density of the monsters available and we also get an item called 'beast whistle' which lets us summon monsters at any point on the world map. It can be good for grinding out levels. Just get a experience points boost from food and grind at a location with high level enemies.

I can write more but I think this is more than enough. Remember, these are impressions from the first 6 chapters only. Again excuse any mistake as I am really sleepy right now and just wanted to post impressions before I hit the bed.

Great impression, thank you, also happy to see a another one that say that the game is not a cakewalk. Also does sidequest look missable ? Or everything can be done when we want beside hunt ?

Hikami

The impressions were overall very positive, imo. If they made you want to cancel your pre-order, you probably should. It's not getting better.

My concerns are mainly story related. Impressions on that seem all over the place.
Decided to keep it anyways. I enjoyed 13's story so it can't be worse than that surely.

Now that's the kind of the impression I was hoping to hear from Final Fantasy XV! It really seems like from what you've seen and played that it's shaping up to be exactly what we all hoped it would be. What's with all these negative impressions?? Oh well, you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Ran rp

Monsters/Enemies

have you been following the game closely? are there a lot of monsters that haven't been shown in previews?

Now that's the kind of the impression I was hoping to hear from Final Fantasy XV! It really seems like from what you've seen and played that it's shaping up to be exactly what we all hoped it would be. What's with all these negative impressions?? Oh well, you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Here's the thing, the story at least early on doesn't have that bombastic visual flare that people are normally accustomed to like Malik said. I'm still at hammerhead so what I'm about to say it's just my theory. I guess early on the story is told very low-key perhaps thru banter, car rides and short in game cutscenes. It's dicey because a lot of people haven't watched Kingsglaive which is SE fault for having all this media.. same goes for brotherhood for the casual at first glance the prince is assigned with 4 bodyguards.. so you also gotta understand the other side.

Trust the Process

Hinkie died for your sins.

So is there no Hard mode in the game? I heard there was only Normal and Easy which is a bit disappointing.

Normal seems challenging so far.

silva1991

I wonder if this flying monster from 2014 TGS trailer is still in the game

screen-shot-2014-09-18-at-12-57-12-am.png

I'm just being curious here and I don't want any answers.

The monster looks like something from Xenoblade X

So,
the red moon is officially out? That had me interested as fuck.
(I don't think that's actually an spoiler, but I'll tag it just in case)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe the cut stuff will be moved to the next FF game.

Didn't happen already before though? Or was that another series?

sn00zer

I cannot understand how people can describe how amazing the weapon switching midcombo is when its very similar to a cut down version of DmC's combat.

Although I will say its a bit interesting seeing how RPG fans are realizing that a ton of thought goes into playing stylish action games, because many are describing the same thought process while playing FFXV, just a slower version of it.

Splinter

What? So are people actually getting copies in the US? Do most stores already have it in stock waiting to be put on the shelves?

Don't have too much to say right now as I've only played about 2 hours, but so far, I'm very pleased. I got almost destroyed early on in a battle again a lot of enemies on ground and above. Holy shit. I made it, but this remark about holding O button to win is pretty bullshit so far in my experience.

Playing on pro it looks damn nice but see the slightly judder framerate stuff, I'm used to it but let's hope they patch it. That aside, the game starts a bit out of nowhere story wise. Though I'm already interested in the characters and the story they have to tell, so I'm all for a slower build up of exploration and story.

I'm really, really, really enjoying this so far. It truly feels like a step in a new direction for FF in ways. I'm early though but I'm grinning from ear to ear. Worst thing fe me so far is the camera at times. But I'm getting better at it. CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY MORE.

I cannot understand how people can describe how amazing the weapon switching midcombo is when its very similar to a cut down version of DmC's combat.

Although I will say its a bit interesting seeing how RPG fans are realizing that a ton of thought goes into playing stylish action games, because many are describing the same thought process while playing FFXV, just a slower version of it.

As someone who likes ARPGS, but isn't into character action or JRPGS, FFXV is on my radar almost solely because I'm hoping it'll be the next Dragon's Dogma. That is, an ARPG with stylish, fun combat.

This could be a major selling point if it ends up being a universally praised element of the game, even to someone with very little investment in FF.

My only other major concern is that the English VO will be so cringeworthy I'll be embarrassed to play it without a headset. Just about every FF cutscene I've seen has come close to making my ears bleed, so I'm not optimistic.

I think that's precisely why I enjoy it. I'm a huge NG/DMC/Bayo fan. To see an RPG get a sort of watered down combat system that evokes much of the DMC flavor is great in an area where most of these open-world RPGs have, quite frankly, piss poor combat systems.

Not every game's gonna be a Dragons' Dogma and pull off a crazy great combat system in an RPG setting. So stuff that's closer to raising the default standard is welcome.

Splinter

-Can someone give me an impression of how big the map is and how big it feels? (Compared to say The Witcher 3)
-is the map as big as it looks from the leaked images a few months ago? Does it feel alive? Can you spend all day exploring and feel like you've accomplished something?
-Does the game have a massive amount of side quests? Do they actually feel like fleshed out quests or just gimmicks? (using Witcher 3 as my gold standard again)
-How would you describe the immersion?

Nice impressions Malik.

Afraid I'm going to get over-leveled just messing around w/ combat system, as I really liked trying out different approaches and combos in Duscae and Platinum and Judgement, where there's obviously a lot less flexibility....

This is a spoiler, but where you're at how many summons have you acquired? And are they at all useful in battle?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Don't have too much to say right now as I've only played about 2 hours, but so far, I'm very pleased. I got almost destroyed early on in a battle again a lot of enemies on ground and above. Holy shit. I made it, but this remark about holding O button to win is pretty bullshit so far in my experience.

Playing on pro it looks damn nice but see the slightly judder framerate stuff, I'm used to it but let's hope they patch it. That aside, the game starts a bit out of nowhere story wise. Though I'm already interested in the characters and the story they have to tell, so I'm all for a slower build up of exploration and story.

I'm really, really, really enjoying this so far. It truly feels like a step in a new direction for FF in ways. I'm early though but I'm grinning from ear to ear. Worst thing fe me so far is the camera at times. But I'm getting better at it. CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY MORE.
I know I sound like a broken record, but since we're 100% sure you have the US version (ESRB rating on the box), could you let me know if the US version has Japanese audio/text in the text selection option?

I know I sound like a broken record, but since we're 100% sure you have the US version (ESRB rating on the box), could you let me know if the US version has Japanese audio/text in the text selection option?

Audio is Japanese, English, french, and German.

Text is a hell of a lot more but yes Japanese also.

ebil

Maybe the cut stuff will be moved to the next FF game.

Didn't happen already before though? Or was that another series?
I really don't want that to be honest. I want them to move on to something new, which to me is the best thing about FF15 being out at last.

Serpico99

Mission accomplished GAF. Finally got my copy (NYC). Lol this one guy at the store was buying a different game and was like "did you just request FFXV?". The dude got it also without even knowing the store had it.

Anyways this patch is taking forever... luckily I bought a bottle of champagne in celebration to tide me over. Good or not it can't be worse than FFXIII... seriously that would take effort.

Cheers see ya in the review thread ;)

source.gif

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Audio is Japanese, English, french, and German.

Text is a hell of a lot more but yes Japanese also.
Thank you very much. I think confirmations from 3 people is more than enough, preordering the edition with season pass off the US PSN today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom