• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT| There and back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagram

It's unacceptable in 2016 to have an open world game designed around side content to not have an optional level scaling feature. I mean, come on devs.

It's unacceptable in 2016 to have an open world game designed around side content to not have an optional level scaling feature. I mean, come on devs.

You should be steamrolling whether underleveled or overleveled anyway, unless post game changes the difficulty somehow. The combat tools are pretty ridiculous and make Noctis OP in almost every situation regardless of level. It's a lot of fun being so OP though!

Pygrus

There are scaling mobs in this game, everything just doesn't scale.

I'd imagine why they do this, is because low level mobs give you low level ingredients. It would be dumb if the stupid level 2 wolf enemies that drop nothing good, leveled up to be level 99 wolf enemies that still give nothing good.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| I have a story, you just can't see it

Just like good ole Dark Souls.

Beaten the game :)) Really love it despite all its shortcomings.

This could be my first platinum. Also planning on tackling the sealed dungeons after I get a pro.

Apt101

That fight with
Areana
was wild. All battling in the air high above everyone else. It was like the fight scene between Cloud and Sephiroth in Advent Children.

Noctis' english voice actor actually lent a lot to why Noctis is my favorite FF protagonist.
He did such a fantastic job in the last few chapters. I liked Noctis as a character so much, and it's a shame we won't get more games with him. He dserves a sequel more than Lightning ever did.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 12 hours in, level 24 or so, chapter III, and mostly just screwing around in the Duscae region.

I still can't quite wrap my head around the combat in this game. I'm playing with Wait mode activated.

Primarily:

- Targeting seems unnecessarily difficult. Is there any indication that I'm locked onto an opponent? When I hold R1 and press L3 or R3 (forgot which one), I don't see any visual indication that I'm locked on. I think it works sometimes, but it seems to break if I touch the right stick at all.

- This leads to a great deal of confusion in any battle with more than 4 enemies or so, which seems to be the majority. I can't seem to focus fire any specific enemy like I would want do, and most battles just turn into a slog where I'm gradually chipping down all of the enemies pretty evenly.

- I find it hard to keep track of what's going on. I'll look away from health bars for a minute and see a couple of my party members suddenly super low on health the next. Am I just not getting it, or is there a distinct lack of visual feedback when it comes to enemy damage? Also, is there no way to get my party members to automatically heal themselves?

- The block/parry system seems really inconsistent. Sometimes, I will nail the button prompt (holding down square), but I'll end up getting hit. One moment I'll think it's because I was in an attack animation (big sword), but other times the block/parry will go off even if I'm mid-swing, so it just really doesn't make much sense to me. I find I spend a lot of time not attacking and instead waiting in block mode to parry. Is this dumb? Is there any clear explanation of how this system works?

- The camera system is really annoying in most situations. I find myself constantly having to use the right stick to reposition the camera, even with "far" selected for the camera range. Even still, trees branches and other shit get in the way and completely prevent me from being able to see the action.

- Level for level, the enemies as part of mob hunts seem way stronger than the typical mobs roaming the world. Is there any UI indication that tells you which mobs are "powerful" compared to "normal?"

All of this compounds to making me not really enjoy the combat. It seems interesting, but just isn't a lot of fun to engage with thus far in practice. Any advice?

- Level for level, the enemies as part of mob hunts seem way stronger than the typical mobs roaming the world. Is there any UI indication that tells you which mobs are "powerful" compared to "normal?"
Not that I'm far, but I've been using the fight music as my indicator for toughness. If it's not the regular song, it's a tough enemy.

I'm about 12 hours in, level 24 or so, chapter III, and mostly just screwing around in the Duscae region.

I still can't quite wrap my head around the combat in this game. I'm playing with Wait mode activated.

Primarily:

- Targeting seems unnecessarily difficult. Is there any indication that I'm locked onto an opponent? When I hold R1 and press L3 or R3 (forgot which one), I don't see any visual indication that I'm locked on. I think it works sometimes, but it seems to break if I touch the right stick at all.

- This leads to a great deal of confusion in any battle with more than 4 enemies or so, which seems to be the majority. I can't seem to focus fire any specific enemy like I would want do, and most battles just turn into a slog where I'm gradually chipping down all of the enemies pretty evenly.

- I find it hard to keep track of what's going on. I'll look away from health bars for a minute and see a couple of my party members suddenly super low on health the next. Am I just not getting it, or is there a distinct lack of visual feedback when it comes to enemy damage? Also, is there no way to get my party members to automatically heal themselves?

- The block/parry system seems really inconsistent. Sometimes, I will nail the button prompt (holding down square), but I'll end up getting hit. One moment I'll think it's because I was in an attack animation (big sword), but other times the block/parry will go off even if I'm mid-swing, so it just really doesn't make much sense to me. I find I spend a lot of time not attacking and instead waiting in block mode to parry. Is this dumb? Is there any clear explanation of how this system works?

- The camera system is really annoying in most situations. I find myself constantly having to use the right stick to reposition the camera, even with "far" selected for the camera range. Even still, trees branches and other shit get in the way and completely prevent me from being able to see the action.

All of this compounds to making me not really enjoy the combat. It seems interesting, but just isn't a lot of fun to engage with thus far in practice. Any advice?

1. The reticle focuses on the target. I've never had an instance where I wasn't sure who I was locked out, only in getting a lock on just the one I want.

2. In big battles, my advice is to warp away and then cast magic to clear out the battlefield, then pick off the remaining guys.

3. There definitely aren't enough visual cues for your team mates, but generally you won't get them chipped down if you don't charge in. Not sure what it is about the combat system, but the further away YOU are (like a warp point) the less your team mates seem to take damage wise. Use warp points to your advantage ALWAYS for this and other reasons (warp attacks do more damage, can cause vulnerability, can break targets, etc). Also your team mates WILL heal themselves if they have magic on them with healing effects or when one of them get knocked down... but if they are all getting swarmed, they'll never have a chance.

4. The system is completely dependent on your attack animation. If you want a more reactive experience with blocks/parries, you're going to need to use the daggers versus the broad swords or axes. Broad sword attack animations, for example, last about 2 seconds and you can't parry during them... but the trade off is they are more likely to knock an opponent into vulnerability.

5. The camera is awful. If you can't see, instead of trying to button spam or turn your camera, it's usually better to use a warp point. See #2 on how often you should use warp points during battle.

6. Levels don't scale like you think they would, especially if you're been grinding out levels. For example: I'm currently level 37, but I'm being wrecked every time I go against 34 coeurls. This is mostly to do with the fact that while you can continue to level up without progressing the story, you can't acquire new weapons and accessories without progressing the story. I'm currently on chapter 3, but my level is far beyond what it should be.

Also ditch wait mode. It was a last second addition that really doesn't add much and really ruins the flow of combat. The combat was designed around real time and even someone with pretty slow reflexes like myself can handle it pretty well when you remember that you are supposed to be using warp points.

TLDR: Warp points. Use them. ALWAYS.

Manu

Is there a way to save Prompto's photos to my HDD without having to press "Share"?

I'd like to save them to an album once I fiinish the game.

Geg

Not that I'm far, but I've been using the fight music as my indicator for toughness. If it's not the regular song, it's a tough enemy.

That's not entirely how it works, each region has its own battle theme against monsters, while daemons & imperial forces each have their own battle theme.

Well, I just went crazy with sidequests. I pretty much did all the possible except for bounties
and hit level 46 on Chapter 4.

Stocked up on pots and phoenix downs though I probably wont need too many.

Time to cruise through most of the story without worrying about dying.

I'm sure most people don't play this way but its how I like doing it.

Ferr986

Altissia looks amazing, but it's a pain in the ass to navigate and the music is driving me nuts lol

Is there a way to save Prompto's photos to my HDD without having to press "Share"?

I'd like to save them to an album once I fiinish the game.

This needs to happen. An option to make a roadtrip album and save it on an USB.
That, and maka the album a little bit bigger. I already had to delete some pics :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1. The reticle focuses on the target. I've never had an instance where I wasn't sure who I was locked out, only in getting a lock on just the one I want.

2. In big battles, my advice is to warp away and then cast magic to clear out the battlefield, then pick off the remaining guys.

3. There definitely aren't enough visual cues for your team mates, but generally you won't get them chipped down if you don't charge in. Not sure what it is about the combat system, but the further away YOU are (like a warp point) the less your team mates seem to take damage wise. Use warp points to your advantage ALWAYS for this and other reasons (warp attacks do more damage, can cause vulnerability, can break targets, etc). Also your team mates WILL heal themselves if they have magic on them with healing effects or when one of them get knocked down... but if they are all getting swarmed, they'll never have a chance.

4. The system is completely dependent on your attack animation. If you want a more reactive experience with blocks/parries, you're going to need to use the daggers versus the broad swords or axes. Broad sword attack animations, for example, last about 2 seconds and you can't parry during them... but the trade off is they are more likely to knock an opponent into vulnerability.

5. The camera is awful. If you can't see, instead of trying to button spam or turn your camera, it's usually better to use a warp point. See #2 on how often you should use warp points during battle.

6. Levels don't scale like you think they would, especially if you're been grinding out levels. For example: I'm currently level 37, but I'm being wrecked every time I go against 34 coeurls. This is mostly to do with the fact that while you can continue to level up without progressing the story, you can't acquire new weapons and accessories without progressing the story. I'm currently on chapter 3, but my level is far beyond what it should be.

Also ditch wait mode. It was a last second addition that really doesn't add much and really ruins the flow of combat. The combat was designed around real time and even someone with pretty slow reflexes like myself can handle it pretty well when you remember that you are supposed to be using warp points.

TLDR: Warp points. Use them. ALWAYS.

Thanks!

I see your advice about magic, but it seems like a serious pain in the ass to keep my magic stock high enough to use very often at all.

In terms of the parry system, I swear I've been able to interrupt my broadsword swing animation to parry something (but usually not). Just seems weird. I'll try to stick to daggers.

Thanks for the info about the levels. Sounds like it's somewhat counterproductive to keep leveling up without progressing the story.

I really only use wait mode for Libra, so I can find out what the weakness of an enemy is. Is that possible in real-time mode? I think I'd rather turn it off, because it does feel really half-baked in how it only activates when you're not moving. Kills the flow of battle and creates awkward moments where all of the mobs are dead and the battle is actually over, but the game is paused because you aren't moving.

Meowster

I can't wait to replay the game in January when I get my Pro and 4K. Hopefully some of the patches will be out and I'll experience some things for the first time. The screenshots y'all have been posting with the Pro have won me over.

That's not entirely how it works, each region has its own battle theme against monsters, while daemons & imperial forces each have their own battle theme.
Oh. I haven't actually left the first region, so I had no idea. I just know that the music for the daemons, as well as for that samurai boss are closer to boss themes.

Thanks!

I see your advice about magic, but it seems like a serious pain in the ass to keep my magic stock high enough to use very often at all.

In terms of the parry system, I swear I've been able to interrupt my broadsword swing animation to parry something (but usually not). Just seems weird. I'll try to stick to daggers.

Thanks for the info about the levels. Sounds like it's somewhat counterproductive to keep leveling up without progressing the story.

I really only use wait mode for Libra, so I can find out what the weakness of an enemy is. Is that possible in real-time mode? I think I'd rather turn it off, because it does feel really half-baked in how it only activates when you're not moving. Kills the flow of battle and creates awkward moments where all of the mobs are dead and the battle is actually over, but the game is paused because you aren't moving.

Ignis has an ability in one of the trees that auto-casts libra right at the start of battle, then you can see their weaknesses when you lock on to them.

As for magic, you shouldn't really have to draw too much. Put the 24 ap or so into the first greater draws, then supplement your spells with all of the junk you accumulate on hunts and killing monsters. Not only does that make your magic stronger, but also increases the yields from the default 3 casts to much higher. 11 Fira will last you quite a while since you probably won't need to use it on most monster groups that are only 2-3 enemies. In fact, I mostly use it only when the magitek armies spawn since they start up all grouped, and you can normally end the fight instantly.

Thanks!

For magic, this has been working well for me up to now, level 25 or so in chapter 5 or 6. Not sure how viable it is later in the game.

Get the Ascension skill that adds +30 to power for each flask you create. Buy sweet peppers from the car's shop. Equip the Royal Arms rod thing that gives you magic boost (no need to actually use it).

Create magic with just 1 point of the element you want and add a sweet pepper. That will give you tricast, power 32, which with the additional magic bonus from the rod should be enough to do serious damage as long as you are using the element that your enemies are weak to.

Example, magitek drop ships. So far, for me using the method above, Thunder takes out the entire set of troops in 1 shot no matter what level they are. No melee required.

Then get the skill that gives you 1 AP per cast, and you effectively have a mage build that is only limited by your spells cool down rate.

Has anyone elses trophy for gaining the first level in each character's skill and first hunting mission not popped :c

Didn't notice it until now.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
There's no way to turn off the chocobo theme, eh? They let us buy access to all these wonderful FF scores (FFXII GOAT) but then we can only listen to them in the car.

Carbonox

Still haven't finished Chapter 7 and I'm level 64 now. I CANNOT STOP DOING SIDE QUESTS AND HUNTS.

imhavingsomuchfunthodontletitend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom