• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT| There and back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm really scared to see where the story really goes off the rails because the transition from Chapter 5 to 6 is some of the worst storytelling i've ever experienced in gaming. No hyperbole.
Ok I've done chapter 5 & 6, not sure what you mean, ie nothing jumping out being "worse storytelling" or bad in general.

So I'm at Chapter 10 now and I think I missed something because I'm about to fall asleep. But was Ignis
hit by the waves after Luna sacrificed herself against Leviathan, and then Ignis got an eye injury, or is it temporary blindness
?

Just another unanswered question that's relegated to DLC. Lovely ain't it?

So I'm at Chapter 10 now and I think I missed something because I'm about to fall asleep. But was Ignis
hit by the waves after Luna sacrificed herself against Leviathan, and then Ignis got an eye injury, or is it temporary blindness
?

We'll find out in episode Ignis but for now it is offscreen. Please be excited!

mstevens

So I'm about to trgoing costlemark which I've heard some worrying things about.. Any tips? Can I clear part and then go save and heal, or do things respawn?

As someone who hasn't played a Final Fantasy game beyond 9, would this be a good choice? I've heard people say there's a huge lack of random battles and all sorts of things that make it not feel like a Final Fantasy at all.

I'm trying to get a non bias opinion. It looks fun, but I'm still not sure.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yep. I'm shocked at how much content it has. I'm still discovering landmarks and dungeons all around.

Strong contender for my GOTY.

Mine is a toss up between FFXV and Dragon Quest Builders.

Just finished Ch 9.
WTF is with Ardyn stabbing Luna? Did he even have a motivation for doing that? I mean I've been absolutely terrible at following the story up to this point so forgive me if I'm clueless about some of the motivations of these characters, but he really didn't seem like he had a reason to do that. Especially since Luna was helping Noctis take the Leviathan's power and Ardyn seemed like he wanted Noctis to have the gods' power earlier too... Came out of nowhere and felt a little ridiculous.

Bad guy does bad things to let the player knows he's bad. Nothing more.

I could forgive some of my story grievances early on, but Chapter 9 is where the story absolutely fell apart for me.

Ishida

Banned
Mine is a toss up between FFXV and Dragon Quest Builders.

Uncharted 4.
FFXV
The Last Guardian

It's going to be tough for me to chose. But FFXV has the advantage of being an RPG and thus exploration and combat are putting it above the other two, which are also incredible experiences!

As someone who hasn't played a Final Fantasy game beyond 9, would this be a good choice? I've heard people say there's a huge lack of random battles and all sorts of things that make it not feel like a Final Fantasy at all.

No bias to the franchise as I've only played a 7 titles outta 15 so here I go.

It's a final fantasy dont let ppl fool you for a sec. Random battles aren't really a thing most monsters are on the field already with a few popping up out of no where occasionally. There's also a item that lets u call monsters to u so it isn't a problem. Weakest aspect is the story, not the story itself but how it's presented. The battle system seems to be a big selling point haven't seen much hate at all. Give it a shot the music is fantastic, the party is probably one of the best in a ff game especially out of the ones you played.

vareon

I don't know whether the Cup Noodle quest was a parody or not. But Gladio told me to love Cup Noodle deep from the bottom of my heart so I bought one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I'd say X onwards is where the FF series started heavily evolving in different ways. It really is a YMMV bunch games because you either hate one game or love another one (I didn't like XII but I love X and XV). Compared to I-IX (mostly ATB and TB in the early years), X onwards approaches many things differently from battle theme to overall theme. X uses a Conditional turn-based System, XII uses an MMO-like turn-based battle system, XIII is an incredibly speedy version of the ATB but strips a lot of fat, XV is like an evolved action RPG game.

Edit, to be more clear:

If you want with random battles and want it at a slower pace - FFX
If you want it a hybrid of the turn based system with action - FFXII
If you want a speedy battle system (and mostly focused on battles) - FFXIII
If you want it very action oriented - FFXV

SubbieD

Nope, and thank god there are no zubat like invisible rando encounters in dungeons. You can see an enemy, and it has a red circle marked around it on the map which denotes the fight area. If you leave it, battle ends, if you're in it, it's on.

You'll get as many fights as you want, only now it'll be a choice--whether you want to engage or not.

Press sprint as you're about to run out of stamina and it instantly refills again.

Why does everyone keep saying this? It's not pressing the button again, it's on releasing the button.

You release the Sprint button right before your stamina runs out to refill it.

Gbraga

Why does everyone keep saying this? It's not pressing the button again, it's on releasing the button.

They're probably using L3 to sprint. You click it once to sprint, click it again to refresh.

ramyeon

No you don't. You have to press it again at the right time. If you just released it you'd stop sprinting. If you're using circle to sprint you are holding it down so you have to release it to press it again quickly. If you're using the stick to sprint then it doesn't need to be held down so another click of the stick will refresh the bar.

Ruff

Whatever, same thing. You need to release the button to press it again anyway.

So what am I supposed to do to reach the boss at Costlemark Tower? I just keep having to fight more and more enenmies and it kicked my ass eventually.

Pachimari

Is everyone still enjoying the game after the honeymoon period?

This game is still as fantastic as ever. I'm 32 hours into it, at Chapter 10, lvl 45 and I haven't enjoyed a game this much for years. It's my GOTY and it has the best protagonist of any Final Fantasy. I love it, and I am still not bothered by plot holes or the story itself.

Ruff

So what am I supposed to do to reach the boss at Costlemark Tower? I just keep having to fight more and more enenmies and it kicked my ass eventually.

You're going the wrong way.
When you're pushing cubes after going down a floor, look for a circle indent on the ground. Thats a fork in the road and it points the right cube to push. Sounds like you keep pushing the other cube there and going into the trap room

It doesnt play like the other games, this is much bigger, more open, and of course has an action oriented battle system. However the game does alot of things to make it look and feel like Final Fantasy.

General consensus is

-Battle system is excellent
-World if fantastic
-Music is about as good as it gets (includes songs from all the other FF games)
-Polished pretty well for an open world game (but of course has bugs, no getting around that)
-Story has some pretty significant problems, alot of stuff happens off screen.
-There are numerous small nitpicks such as not being able to adjust the time of day to what you want, and not having hardly any control over your allies.

But i think the pros overcome the cons pretty easily and the review scores back that up.

Mobius 1

I have to wait until xmas to get this.

I was aggravated by some of the flaws and decided to push towards the end of the storyline. Now I just want to go back to explore and finesse the combat system.

Square could have had a masterpiece on their hands with a little more time and focus. Still, I think it's marvelous and if anything a fantastic technical achievement. I'd put with Gran Turismo 5 up there as a engineering masterpieces marred by baffling direction and design decisions.

Seik

Banned
So after 45 hours I learned that I could have a stamina bar and the infinite sprint trick.

I also learned about
all the post game dungeons.
This game really is more packed with content than I thought after finishing it.

You're going the wrong way.
When you're pushing cubes after going down a floor, look for a circle indent on the ground. Thats a fork in the road and it points the right cube to push. Sounds like you keep pushing the other cube there and going into the trap room

I'll give it another go later. Thanks.

SubbieD

I dont know what im doing wrong but im getting so frustrated im ready to shelve this game for good. Im only in chapter 2, level 12 or so, im sure im doing something wrong.

When the army guys randomly drop from overhead we go into battle and like 5 or 6 of them just blast us from far away with their guns and kill everyome so fast i end up doing the fight myself. What am i doing wrong?

Have a nice Thunder/Thundara waiting for them, stay close enough for the soft lock, R1+Magic. Bye bye Magiteks.

Alternatively as soon as they land, warp strike with a broadsword to the middle one, O after, and it'll do a nice sweep of them all.

Trojan

Has anybody fought a Coeurl yet? I'm above the recommended level for this quest, but they're capable of killing me in one hit. Not just downing me, but literally killing me. It's fucking stupid.

I hate those things. They still can jack up my whole party even when youre +5 levels above them.

They're lighting-focused for that special attack if I remember correctly, so buff your dudes with spirit accessories or gear that can resist lightning (including weapons). Also can do the same with vitality since their physical attack is strong.

I try to do a lot of warping in and out, especially when they run away to heal. Warp in, a couple of rolls to hit their blindside, then warp out because they'll quickly attack. Rinse and repeat. I also use Dawnhammer and Regroup as my main techniques (Regroup is the best for any situation). Gravisphere is also helpful to tying them up in one spot and then throw some magic.

I haven't done the hunt that has 5 of them, I've only fought 2 of them at once so far and that was a pain.

Skulldead

I can't remember the last time i was so confuse in a game since disk 2 on xenogear. Ive played one hour of that chapter 13... its not bad... it just doesn't fit in the game at all... i would have take another rpg with that ambiance !

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
When do you get the Chocobo? I want to explore for a bit more but also really wanna ride one---thinking about getting it first and then I'll have all the main exploration tools, right?

I'm okay with this. Hopefully it'll be covered in the DLC. If not, it's no big deal honestly.

It's honestly this type of mentality that lets them get away with this. A story driven franchise should not have things vital to the story left out for DLC or simply left up to assumption. It works for something like Dark Souls because that's how those games tell their stories, but not for something like Final Fantasy where they're very clearly telling a story, but decided to leave extremely important bits out.

SubbieD

I have to wait until xmas to get this.

Level 48, Chapter 8 ending is just waiting for me. And boy, I am literally sitting at work imagining pressing triangle for a warp strike. Probably GOTY for me, yeah and the story is a little meh, but since I've seen Kingslaive and Brotherhood - some of the huh wtf's aren't happening yet. Because I know of all the characters that have made an appearance. I know it won't blow my mind, but by now, I don't care.

What's more, once I finish the game, I'm dead sure there's like 20-50 hours of gameplay waiting for me. The combat is straight up Colombian, addictive AF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom