• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Signs of downgrades from the Platinum Demo

VenomBoss

Banned
Wait for the XBX1.5/PS4K/PC version in 2017 if this isnt enough for you.

Lk1dzHwh.jpg

SPAW

Originally posted by copelandmaster.

Different locations or time of day?
And anyway, reportedly it's not running that smooth either. But well, it's a demo..

how about starting to compare apples to apples and oranges with oranges and not the other way around? I mean, you cant compare target-render from a high end pc to PS4 footage from a demo....

_Ryo_

1. Its a demo
2. Its a different time of day
3.it could be that locations change over time in game. Since one noctis is younger it makes sense that the city would be different when hes older.

kewlmyc

I don't get downgrade outrage. They plan the game to look one way, realize that it can't some ways through development due to it causing unstable framerate or something, then dial the graphics back to get the game in a working order. Doesn't that happening in game development all the time?

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm willingly to bet that it probably doesn't look at bad as you're making it seem. This is also only a demo.

The fact that it's a demo isn't going to change much, we are not years from the release but only 6 months away from it and even less from when the game goes gold and away from heavy development production. They are not going to have big asset changes in the last 5-6 months of development.
Game will look more or less like this only less rough on the edges, still nowhere near what the CG trailer showed.

//DEVIL//

part of me wants to wait for this game to hit the pc so I can enjoy it maximum glory with 60 fps.

another part makes me wtf I cant wait to play this. so I am thinking of double dipping.

the frame rates in both demos I played were not stabe 30 fps. or maybe I twas but it wasn't smooth anyway and I don't like that.

Velkyn

Was wondering when this thread would pop up. The downgrading doesn't matter, the entire thing is still very technically impressive.

For those of you saying "it's a demo" or "it's still 6 months away"...

Name one time in the history of video games where the final product performed and looked (by leaps and bounds) better than an alpha, beta, demo, etc...

Velkyn

Name one time in the history of video games where the final product performed and looked (by leaps and bounds) better than an alpha, beta, demo, etc...

Every time that I've played or tested a game that was in actual alpha or beta? I mean, come on, this isn't even a hard thing to name. Considering that graphical polish is usually a beta milestone, and they are certainly in polish phase, I'm sure it will be better by launch, but there will definitely be some hiccups.

How often do you see big changes in the visuals in the last 6 months of a game's dev time?

"it's a demo" "game's not out yet" "they still have months to make the game look better" etc etc

The game still has 6 months of development time until release.

Or

The game only has 6 months of development time left until release.

LeleSocho

Banned
Every time that I've played or tested a game that was in actual alpha or beta? I mean, come on, this isn't even a hard thing to name. Considering that graphical polish is usually a beta milestone, and they are certainly in polish phase, I'm sure it will be better by launch, but there will definitely be some hiccups.

There's a difference between "graphical polish" and "graphical overhaul", one is going to happen when the other is not.

Beartruck

Considering most JRPG's on consoles nowadays are pretty much uprezzed ps2 games, I'd still say the game looks pretty damn good.

It looks great to me, and we're people really expecting a super alive city in noctis' dream. I liked it. The combat as kid body is was boring but the environments are good and the combat once you play around with it is actually a lot of fun. I'm personally hyped for September.

F4r0_Atak

It's a demo, and they still have a lot of time to polish/refine things.

Less than 6 months is very short for polish on that level. :S

They will just make sure that the game doesn't run too bad... even Duscae looked better, no?

I wonder if that'll skip NX. It's getting DQ11, right?
The PS4 sure, for the NX SE were thinking about it. Nintendo will have to prove that NX won't just another Wii U (great games, very limited user base).

Only GAF would wait 10 years for a game then start concern threads 6 months from release.

We're missing threads like, :How will Luna affect Blazblue Central Fiction's sales if they confuse her with Platinum the Trinity?" or "Will the new moon on September 30th affect sales of Final Fantasy XV on XBox1, and will this change the landscape of gaming without proper lunar alignment?"

DOWN

Banned
The game is still 6 months away and we know this demo branched off months ago from the main build. It's very possible the final game will be highly polished over this

Almost every single game in existence looks leaps and bounds better when it's released than Alpha. On the other hand almost no game looks leaps and bounds better when released than when in Beta. However performance almost always improves dramatically in the last 6 months or so because that is exactly when a dev starts to optimize. There is no use in optimizing code for a system when a how the game uses it is still in flux.

RedSwirl

GAF gonna GAF. It's gonna reach a point where no game developer can show off anything prior to a certain point in development, but maybe games with 10-year dev cycles are a special case.

Anyway, one small detail: Noctis seems to be much higher up in the second pic, meaning the stuff on the grown is farther away from him. LOD might not have kicked in for some of those details.

Anteater

Maybe to save space by replacing/removing assets from the background/world since they're not explorable?

Haven't played the demo though, so I don't know if those areas in the background are explorable or not.

GAF gonna GAF. It's gonna reach a point where no game developer can show off anything prior to a certain point in development, but maybe games with 10-year dev cycles are a special case.

Anyway, one small detail: Noctis seems to be much higher up in the second pic, meaning the stuff on the grown is farther away from him. LOD might not have kicked in for some of those details.

The common element is the fact that virtually every one of these games that were "downgraded" were shown running on hardware other than their target or I suppose in the case of FF, in a pre-rendered state.

I think that's what everybody should try to remember. In general when you see a game running on real hardware, it's only going to look better when it's released. Can't think of many times where that wasn't the case.

Litri

I think the downgrade is clear but most asset optimization and lighting adjustments happen towards the end of the project so it can all change, plus DEMO.

Top Bottom