• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

anaron

It's funny how it's the enemy design that has me most excited. I thought the goblins in the trailer looked like the classic ones and now with this it's further confirmation that they are and they've been translated to HD perfectly.

Hype!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, this isn't running on a PS4? How do you know?

If it's running this well on a PC then the official PC port will be glorious :D

Its a tech demo, where they have to show all the features in a pristine state. The console versions are not in a state to show like that yet, although i am convinced the trailer for TGS was early PS4 footage

Xenus

If the mods are to be believed, then this isn't running on a PS4. Probably PC (which is awesome).

So don't expect it to look or run that well on the consoles.

Not sure where you got that. I think you might be letting your dreams run away again with your PC hopes.

Last year's trailer seemed like a bunch of scripted Uncharted BS, so I assume we won't be seeing as much of that henceforth.
I don't know why you equate that to Uncharted.
Final Fantasy has alwats had amazing set piece moments. Escaping Figaro castle on chocobos anyone?

Squire

Banned
We'll get an idea of what it's like on consoles in March. I'm not terribly concerned with performance.

And, as always, I'd prefer to see them boost the frame rate rather than hard locking the res at 1080p. Assuming they have to pick one or the other.

duckroll

Wondering how much was scrapped from last year's gameplay trailer now. Probably all of it?

The gameplay footage or the concept trailer? Because this seems like the same gameplay demo they made the gameplay footage with last year, just with more polish and refinements. Definitely seems like a battle system vertical slice to me. On the other hand the concept trailer was never real to begin with! It was made by Silicon Studio!

Damerman

Tabata says holding down the Defend command will result in auto-dodging.

hmmm, sounds interesting, but i hope its not over powered. Maybe the game is so fast that they had to design it this way.

They're now transitioning to Luminous, and this demo is somewhere in between.

i don't know about you guys, but this is extremely good news to me. I feel relieved for Square to be honest if this is true. The game is constantly looking better and better(especially after this trailer and tech demo)... and i have a feeling that Luminous has something to do with it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The gameplay footage or the concept trailer? Because this seems like the same gameplay demo they made the gameplay footage with last year, just with more polish and refinements. Definitely seems like a battle system vertical slice to me. On the other hand the concept trailer was never real to begin with! It was made by Silicon Studio!

The gameplay one that was still using PS3-era models for both characters and environment.

K.Sabot

I don't why you equate that to Uncharted.
Final Fantasy has alwats had amazing set piece moments. Escaping Figaro castle on chocobos anyone?

Last's year's trailer straight up had noctis running through a building that was turning, jumping on vehicles that were standing on buildings that were falling, standing on vehicles spinning in the air while looking at a crazy leviathan thing, climbing up a large-ass statue that was falling (that really did look like uncharted).

I didn't see any of that in the new trailer. Might make for a nice, highly scripted intro sequence though.

jett

D-Member
GOOD LAWD, It looks absolutely outstanding. Too bad they just had to stream it over that shithouse website.

I wonder what are the chances of it coming to PC.

The gameplay one that was still using PS3-era models for both characters and environment.

Well, asset improvements are expected, but it's nice to see that mostly everything showcased in that gameplay demo wasn't pie-in-the-sky nonsense like FFXIII's gameplay concept debut.

The only thing's missing from this demo, really are short-burst teleport, the effects of the rotating weapons around Noctis and the Behemoth combat set-piece of 'Noctis attaching swords all arounds its body and blows it up with magic.' Everything else is there, except a tad bit slower.

orochi91

It looks absolutely outstanding. Too bad they just had to stream it over that shithouse website.

GOOD LAWD.

I wonder what are the chances of it coming to PC.

Very high. They can't afford to keep it consoles any longer.

Plus they are bringing over many FF to the PC, including FF13 Saga.

I bet the PC port will be delayed like 6-12 months after the console versions release.
Similar to GTA 5

duckroll

I think it's the same base demo which they're using to test technical improvements. So it's the same basic area which has a short generated encounter, and they've been improving the assets while developing the rest of the game. This seems like their public report card where they dump all the improvements back into the same demo to show their progress. Lol.

After the XIII announcement, higher than ever. I'd almost say "guaranteed", given enough time (less than two years from console release)

I think it really depends on how XIII sells. The PC gaming market is huge -- and easily accessible through Steam, but if XIII doesn't sell well then I think we can forget about XV.

If XIII sells wells, XV on PC is an inevitability.

Toki767

I wonder if they're just going to be giving us this as the demo with Type-0. Hopefully they give something a bit longer.

Phlebas

Banned
vRsVv96.jpg

So good... Holy shit

I didn't see any of that in the new trailer. Might make for a nice, highly scripted intro sequence though.

Well, the new trailer shows them in the overworld map mostly, with none of the story sequences.

I fully expect the actual scripted sequences to pretty much still be Final Fantasy Uncharted.

orochi91

I think it really depends on how XIII sells. The PC gaming market is huge -- and easily accessible through Steam, but if XIII doesn't sell well then I think we can forget about XV.

If XIII sells wells, XV on PC is an inevitability.

They will release it on PC irrespective of FF13's performance on the platform. These new
consoles are way too similar to PCs for them not to port it over, where I imagine the
costs to do so will be insignificant.

Plus, FF15 has the added benefit of 8 years worth of hype :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think it's the same base demo which they're using to test technical improvements. So it's the same basic area which has a short generated encounter, and they've been improving the assets while developing the rest of the game. This seems like their public report card where they dump all the improvements back into the same demo to show their progress. Lol.

That makes sense. Will be interesting to see if the promises made this time will hold though lol.

Last's year's trailer straight up had noctis running through a building that was turning, jumping on vehicles that were standing on buildings that were falling, standing on vehicles spinning in the air while looking at a crazy leviathan thing, climbing up a large-ass statue that was falling (that really did look like uncharted).

The trailer was from the demo so it won't feature anything as extreme.
I just don't see the E3 2013 trailer as something that's uncharacteristic of Square. They were making incredible cinematic sequences way before Naughty Dog.

Infiltration and escape of the Shinra building. Weapon attack of Junon. Battle between Balamb and Galbadia Garden. Escape from Figaro Castle in FF VI. Technolgy just allows more interactivity nowadays (something that Naughty Dog mastered, I will concede).

Xenus

They will release it on PC irrespective of FF13's performance on the platform. These new
consoles are way too similar to PCs for them not to port it over, where I imagine the
costs to do so will be insignificant.

Plus, FF15 has the added benefit of 8 years worth of hype :D

Lol you might want to slow down that PC hype until an offical aanouncement dude. If they don't follow through with that and you keep up these hype levels you'll come out more jaded Kagari after the Lightning Saga

Mortemis

Banned
Well, asset improvements are expected, but it's nice to see that mostly everything showcased in that gameplay demo wasn't pie-in-the-sky nonsense like FFXIII's gameplay concept debut.

The only thing's missing from this demo, really are short-burst teleport, the effects of the rotating weapons around Noctis and the Behemoth combat set-piece of 'Noctis attaching swords all arounds its body and blows it up with magic.' Everything else is there, except a tad bit slower.

The rotating weapons is probably a special form, link form iirc, they didn't show that here, yeah.

Also there was some sort of enemy lock-on system going on in last year's trailer, they still have the blue teleport lock but the gold lock on enemies is gone.

Loving the party assists. Super flashy and fun. Hope it's not automated; having manual button inputs in conjunction with proximity would be great.

zeromcd73

Some more info from the trailer that I don't think was included in the OP:

- No bosses in the demo, but something that will have a big impact on long time Final Fantasy fans will happen and they will be very happy
- Game is open world
- Demo has dungeons

Slowdive

Banned
Some more info from the trailer that I don't think was included in the OP:

- No bosses in the demo, but something that will have a big impact on long time Final Fantasy fans will happen and they will be very happy

- Game is open world

- Demo has dungeons

:O

Kssio_Aug

Amazing, but since its a Tech Demo I'm not sure if I can expect that same quality. The build scale is amazing though. And that pretty much confirms not only day and night cycle but also weather effects.

I have both PS4 and Xbox One, and am very interested to know how both this platforms will handle it.
I hope that Xbox One can handle it pretty close to PS4, thats my favorite platform.

Ceravic

When Final Fantasy Type-0 HD goes on sale next year, it will include a demo voucher code for Final Fantasy XV. Today at the Tokyo Game Show, director Hajime Tabata explained what players can expect.

The demo's title is Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae with "Duscae" referring to an area within the world.

Online in Japan, some have wondered whether or not the demo's title was a pun. The reason is that "Duscae" in Japanese is pronounced as "desuka," which sounds like the Japanese phrase for "Is it?" Thus, to Japanese ears, the demo's title sounds like, "Final Fantasy XV: Is It an Episode?" However, Tabata said the demo's title is not a clever pun. "I'm too old for that kind of thing," Tabata told the TGS crowd during his presentation.

The demo looks to be about an hour if you use the car and don't explore. You can either drive the car yourself or have the another party member drive in an auto-pilot mode as you chill out in the backseat. But, the demo might not be driving (or walking) only. "If things progress well, we'll put in a chocobo. If we don't have time, we won't."

However, if you go on foot and explore the surroundings, you could get between three to four hours of play. According to Tabata, there will be monsters and "maybe a dungeon." There won't be a boss battle, but Tabata said there would be "something more amazing." According to him, "This is something that Final Fantasy fans will really like." Wonder what that will be...

The download code for Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae will be released with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will be released in March 2015.

This is from Kotaku. I still don't know what all is banned around here so I figured I wouldn't link it.

Top Bottom