• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
How long til Eurogamer reviewer deletes his acocunt?

wZqMJ1h.jpg

phant0m

Try "none of them except the ones that agree with you".

And i dont mean that sarcastically.
Lol, I get what you’re saying but it’s really less about “agreeing with me” and more about “is this reviewer making legitimate criticisms of this game and it’s components (story, gameplay/mechanics, sounds, music, etc) or is their criticism entirely based on your their sociopolitical views?”

Example: Wired’s “review” of Hogwarts Legacy. It was abundantly obvious the reviewer had no intention of giving the game a fair review, had barely played it if at all, and was just a bad faith review pursuant of making a point against JKR.

Their EIC should be embarrassed to allowing it to be published.

Last edited:
I wish so many didn’t shed so much light on the less than super positive reviews. I mean this for all games. And instead of just brushing them off, so many try to discredit or act like it’s invalid. I just don’t get it. Feels weird me trying to keep it positive in a FF16 review thread, lol. But I think it’s just the state of negativity from posters is getting old to me.
I think posters are being largely negative and brushing off certain reviews because they are not representative of the game's quality. Quite an interesting number of reviews are more about what the game isn't instead of covering what it actually is. This game isn't an agenda-pushing propaganda piece. It isn't including diversity for the sake of it. It also shouldn't be reviewed on that basis. It should be reviewed as it is. A video game. This is the exact reason the vast majority of movies and television shows are failing. All of the race swapping, agenda pushing, no substance having bullshit, that they are trying to force feed people, and people are sick of it.

killatopak

Gold Member
Probably a good action game but a bad Final Fantasy game. Seems like it'll be a double edged sword in the long run. But we'll see once I take a look at the narrative myself.
Don't think I can comment on story until I've seen it but I imagine if it's a 50 hour slog to get to Hard Mode not many will be enticed to play through the same game twice.
I imagine they took the data from FF7 Remake. It’s basically how you unlock hard mode in that game as well. Must be a good amount who jumped into hard mode.

Ansphn

Probably a good action game but a bad Final Fantasy game. Seems like it'll be a double edged sword in the long run. But we'll see once I take a look at the narrative myself.
Don't think I can comment on story until I've seen it but I imagine if it's a 50 hour slog to get to Hard Mode not many will be enticed to play through the same game twice.
Bad final fantasy game? Are we sure any of these reviewers even played the older FF games?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bad final fantasy game? Are we sure any of these reviewers even played the older FF games?
Eh it's kinda why if you are a person who has played most FF games you have to look at the reviews with scrutiny because it's very likely the reviewers aren't coming from the same background.

Boss Mog

If it would have scored like we hoped than it would have easily done above 10m on ps5 alone. The impact with these scores on sales are tremendous. I dont care either but I can assure you that we won't get a budget this big around for the next main game.
It did score like we hoped it would, it's just that some questionable publications decided to play politics and tank the score which put the average below 90; it would be above 90 otherwise.

Eurogamer's comments section for FFXVI 🤣
7b4RQEM.png
I'm guessing that their moderation team will be quite busy for the next couple of days.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Lol, I get what you’re saying but it’s really less about “agreeing with me” and more about “is this reviewer making legitimate criticisms of this game and it’s components (story, gameplay/mechanics, sounds, music, etc) or is their criticism entirely based on your their sociopolitical views?”
Idk, it may be relevant to some twitter loudmouths who want quotas in their games.

And i do think some of the things they say bring down the hammer in the right place but misses the nail. Like, using "slavery bad" as a thematic for your story does sound kinda shallow and a valid point to bring up, but then they go on the classic tangent "muh white european man" which discredits anything they've said previously, to the point i can't really know if the original point holds any water in the first place, or its just them trying their hardest to problematize things that aren't even there.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Dated gameplay?

Tell me another game that does exploration like Bethesda, for that we simply have to wait their next game that is gonna be released in September.

The rpg mechanics got worse with any major release. Try to replay es 3 and iv they are far better than anything more modern from them.

Boss Mog

There was another big JRPG about people realizing slavery was bad but I don't remember any of these rags getting worked up about it. That game was Tales of Arise. Most characters in that game had light skin too.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
It was thanks to some media that I felt compelled to buy Hogwarts Legacy as soon as the reviews came out.
Unfortunately, I haven't even been able to play Hogwarts Legacy because I'm playing other stuff, so I was counting on waiting a bit until Final Fantasy 16 lowered its price.

But man... these reviews from Eurogamer and Polygon are really going to make me buy Final Fantasy 16 today...

Thirty7ven

Banned
Eurogamer changes to a star system and immediately goes on a click bait run on Metacritic.

First score a 4/5 for Tears of the Kingdom which they know counts as an 80/100. You could argue they want to use the full scale but ugh… their reviews so far don’t have any problem handing out 4s.

ungalo

I read that the bestiary was really poor and there were no cities, i wonder if that's true. That's a little concerning, especially the bestiary if there are many hunting quests.

ssringo

As funny as it sounds, the best reviewer IS the one who agrees with you.

What I mean isn't the surface level bullshit. You have to spend time across multiple reviews, videos, etc to get to know what they value in games. What they like and what they don't like. When that matches up decently well with your own opinions you have someone you can reliably look to for a review that would be applicable to you.

It's why when FightinCowboy reviews FF16 and says it's his clear GotY and he has a hard time putting it down to even do a review, I'm very confident in my purchase because what he enjoys in games is very similar to my own. That's much more valuable to me than pretty much every other review; even if they happen to share that opinion lol

Edit: removed an apparent misunderstanding of what was being said

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Ok

Yes. A lot of the votes said 90+. So they are disappointed. They shouldn’t let reviews get in the way of their enjoyment though.

The game isn’t the magnum opus that will save final fantasy and square enix, as was claimed.
ok what? halo infinite is terrible and a shadow of halo game.

This is the best ff 16 they could possibly make. If this wont save square, nothing would.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There was another big JRPG about people realizing slavery was bad but I don't remember any of these rags getting worked up about it. That game was Tales of Arise. Most characters in that game had light skin too.
In Triangle Strategy there was literally concentration camp for Rosellan race. Which mostly had light pink hair.
Danjin, anything below 90 is no-go territory. It’s either 90-95 ("might be good") or 95-100 ("it’s OK").
that’s stupid as hell, lot of great JRPGs are blow 90 heck even Dragon Quest XI when it first came out on PS4.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
ok what? halo infinite is terrible and a shadow of halo game.

This is the best ff 16 they could possibly make. If this wont save square, nothing would.
FF7:Rebirth looks much better, imo. So maybe that one can? I also didn’t know Square needed saving.

Top Bottom