• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Order: CMA prohibits the 2022 ABK/MS deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The deal is officially blocked

the new deal with ubisoft will start with a Phase 1 investigation and it's a completly new deal

CMA finalises decision to block original merger after rejecting submissions by Microsoft to revisit its original decision;

Microsoft submits new, restructured deal for review, triggering a fresh Phase 1 investigation by CMA;

Under the new deal, Microsoft will not acquire the cloud streaming rights to all current and future Activision games released during the next 15 years (excluding in the EEA)

BoxFresh123

"Microsoft submits new, restructured deal for review, triggering a fresh Phase 1 investigation by CMA;"

This likely to get done before the new deadline?

OK, We MS can exit from UK easily🤗
Lol. It’s not just about games, this is the kind of take you’d hear from a 12 year old console warrior.

MS can’t just exit the UK. Think about all of the businesses that use MS software and technology (Azure, O365 etc) to carry out their work. London especially is a huge financial hub and MS make a fucking shit load of money there. Why would they put this at risk for Xbox when this isn’t even the most profitable part of the business for them?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
A new deal? I am curious of the implications for others regulators like the FTC. After so much work and delays I suppose that Microsoft will make it work this time. The CMA forbid Microsoft from trying again for 10 years if I remember right? The new deal seems to be the exception?

Gudji

Martial Arts Karate GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
Ignore those rumours, the CMA (and possibly the whole world) are starting over. This is a new deal.

The whole world isn’t starting again. Other places passed the deal without this structural remedy so no change there. This doesn’t even help the FTC at all.

What this does is trigger a new investigation by the CMA centered solely around the only thing the CMA put forward as a challenge. It’s left them with limited grounds to block without a robust CAT challenge.

Its much more likely to pass now, IMHO.

bitbydeath

The whole world isn’t starting again. Other places passed the deal without this structural remedy so no change there. This doesn’t even help the FTC at all.

What this does is trigger a new investigation by the CMA centered solely around the only thing the CMA put forward as a challenge. It’s left them with limited grounds to block without a robust CAT challenge.

Its much more likely to pass now, IMHO.
Not sure about that, what they previously agreed to is dead.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ignore those rumours, the CMA (and possibly the whole world) are starting over. This is a new deal.

THis is exactly what they said it had to be. The previous deal was dead from the day the CMA said. There was no going back on this. They had to amend the original deal enough for it to be revisited as a new deal altogether. Which this is.

I feel some people are confused...I don't blame them, so am I!

Vox Machina

Banned

And is replaced by a subset of that. If you approved the entire package why would you suddenly be opposed to a subset of that package going thru? It's not impossible but I highly doubt we see any reviews other than the CMA.

bitbydeath

And is replaced by a subset of that. If you approved the entire package why would you suddenly be opposed to a subset of that package going thru? It's not impossible but I highly doubt we see any reviews other than the CMA.
Not saying I know the answer, just it’s a possibility given the original deal is now gone.

Ozriel

M$FT

Brazil, China and others didn’t reopen the deal when MS made remedies to the EU.

That said, there are reports the EU isn’t pleased and are investigating whether this requires a formal notification from Microsoft. But you can imagine they’d be ticked off at the CMA, not MS.

bitbydeath

Brazil, China and others didn’t reopen the deal when MS made remedies to the EU.

That said, there are reports the EU isn’t pleased and are investigating whether this requires a formal notification from Microsoft. But you can imagine they’d be ticked off at the CMA, not MS.
It’s not about being ticked off or not though. It’s about the deal they agreed to being no more.

skit_data

Wha...
So the deal is once again in limbo?
I was just thinking the other day how nice it's been to put the whole ordeal behind us in the last ~2 months.
CMA are some confusing bastards, not long ago it sounded like everything was peachy and that they were about to drop the whole thing. Don' tell me we're gonna have another 6 months of this back and forth...

CMA is the only regulator doing the right thing! This deal is good for fanboys but bad for the rest of the gamers (in the long term) This thread will be glorious in 10 years.

It’s great for gamers on Xbox in general, not sure why you’d limit it to just fanboys.

Sell ABK cloud rights in UK to Ubi
Wait awhile and then just buy Ubi
??????
Profit
/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom