• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening has sold 1.79 million copies as of Dec. 2014

Jintor

It's a fantastic game, you are missing out.

I enjoyed it, but it 'felt' like more of the same to FFTA. It wasn't, cos I went back and played it to double check, but that's how it felt.

I don't know that that would've driven off sales though. Must've been something more. Fatigue might've had something to do with it.

RiggyRob

it has sold more than every Metroid game except 2 (the original and Prime 1 sold more than 2 million) and more than every F-Zero game except one (original F-Zero).

That really puts it into perspective - I'm glad my favourite videogame series lives on.

NeonZ

From best selling FE game ever to Codename Bomba...kinda sad seeing the market reject their new IP - probably would have performed better as a launch period game for their next handheld. It will likely get a HD Remake for future systems that looks more like VC.

I think Codename STEAM just seemed to ignore everything that made Awakening a success, from presentation and art style to lack of customization and lack of player driven interaction between the characters. There's also some issues with its system, like the enemy turns before the patch too, but I think they made some mistakes on a basic level with the game, not only game balance/tweaks. At least this time their experiment wasn't done with the FE series itself though...

Im pretty sure awakening has a much bigger female audience now, its has the traits of things like tomadachi life and animal crossing that make the games sell more.
This can show other companies that you can make games that capture male and female audience equally. Old fans being mad because matchmaking took a more visible step in awakening need to let it go.
And it wasnt the only thing wich made the game more open to everyone.

Usobuko

Banned
Nice! I'm so glad they were able to make it a success. Although this bodes bad for Advance Wars. After all now it has to compete against two succesful franchises (Paper Mario and Fire Emblem). Hopefully they'll be able to "revive" AW like they did with FE down the line though.

No, look at it in this manner. All it shows is that waifuing works.

I'll take that over no AW.

it has sold more than every Metroid game except 2 (the original and Prime 1 sold more than 2 million) and more than every F-Zero game except one (original F-Zero).

Jesus, now there's some perspective on the lack of Metroid and F-Zero coming out of Nintendo

mStudios

Do people really think the game sold more just because of waifus?

I went to the store picked up the game and started playing. I went as virgin as possible.
And I don't even watch anime.

Do people really think the game sold more just because of waifus?

I went to the store picked up the game and started playing. I went as virgin as possible.
And I don't even watch anime.

I'm pretty sure those comments are mostly tongue-in-cheek. But the whole matchmaking aspect is definitely fun and at least a little of the game's appeal.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Games like that have a well informed audience. They don't just sell because of the name. All the FFT fans I know told me Grimoire of the Rift didn't even come close to the previous entries and isnisted I stay away.

It cannot come close to FFT and FFTA? FFTA is probably the most broken game (regarding gameplay-system, not technics) I've played in a long while and both seem to emphasise grinding and "simulation" aspects over in-fight strategy. FFTA certainly is the worst SRPG I have played due to it's complete brokeness and you tell me A2 is even worse?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Old fans being mad because matchmaking took a more visible step in awakening need to let it go.
Most old fans aren't upset about matchmaking, that was an existing mechanic already in FE4. Most are upset about lack of thought in the design of strategy and difficulty elements compared to previous entries. As an "old fan" though I agree the arguments are tired and a pain in the ass to read in every thread about this game. Even if the gameplay doesn't hold up under scrutiny compared to older titles, Awakening as a full package is the best entry in the series to me because I simply had the most fun playing it.

duckroll

So Codename STEAM has sold less than 2% of FE:A so far? And it sold 0.1% of FE:A worldwide total in Japan so far? Nice stats.

Incredibly well deserved, it's the game that finally delivered on the series' previously squandered potential, while also bringing with it a whole host of truly worthwhile innovations that elevated it to true classic status.

I just hope IF doesn't fuck things up and ditch anything to try and pander to the outraged minority of older fans.

Uh oh.

That's a shame. I guess there's no chance of the series going back to the old (far superior) style again.
I can deal with the waifus. I just need better gameplay and tactics, which were pretty lacking. We'll have to see what the next game offers. The approachability of FEA is probably what drove sales, so I doubt we'll ever really get anything else. It's a shame there's so few good games in this genre these days.

Glass Rebel

Nice, but I really hope the Nohr [?] storyline in if is closer to older FE's. That's the only way I can accept the dual versions.

Also, wanna bet that if we ever see another Advance Wars, it will have some military academy setting and a reworked CO system with "supports"?
s2L6EOU.png

kswiston

i feel like the gba fire emblem might have. if not, it could have been awfully close. it would have needed to have sold about 300k in europe.

It's probably worth remembering that the GBA's install base in Europe was about 1/2 of the install base in North America.

Pikma

Banned
So Codename STEAM has sold less than 2% of FE:A so far? And it sold 0.1% of FE:A worldwide total in Japan so far? Nice stats.
Even though the game is really good, such a shame...
but it was to be expected, tons of horrible decisions surrounded it from the very beginning, it was inevitable.

Edit: double post, sorry -_-

Banned
Well done. It's deserved. Approaching second tier sales status for Nintendo. First tier being Mario anything and smash.

Sölf

I wish. Where is my new Final Fantasy Tactics. And Tactics Ogre. Or Yggdra Union.

A new FFT, yes. Please no abomination like FFTA.

@Thread: Well deserved. As an overall package, I think it is the best entry in the series. But the individual aspects have been done better in other games (map objectives suck in Awakening, for exmaple).

Grats to them , the game had such long legs because of the word fo mouth and the reputation it has ... i played it late BECAUSE of the word of mouth and i have to admit that it did a lot to bring life to the franchise ( even when i think that everything isn't perfect , there still was plenty of good ideas within it )

Hopefully they( nintendo ) won't have impossible sales expectations for "if".

duckroll

Grats to them , the game had such long legs because of the word fo mouth and the reputation it has ... i played it late BECAUSE of the word of mouth and i have to admit that it did a lot to bring life to the franchise ( even when i think that everything isn't perfect , there still was plenty of good ideas within it )

Hopefully they( nintendo ) won't have impossible sales expectations for "if".

3x the content, 3x the sales! 5 million here we come!!!

Raggie

Am I the only one who finds the constant use of the word 'waifu' aggrevating?

I know it's tongue-in-cheeck, but there's always that base assumption that any romantic aspects in a game is basically pandering some basement dweller virgins who fap to their 2D crushes because they can't get any. Or, at the very least enjoying romance is something ridiculous and effeminate. Romance is always brought up with derision, even when it's a very small and optional part of a game.

I like following all sorts of personal relationships forming between game characters, romance included, and not because there's something lacking in my own life. I find it entertaining and interesting and it makes the characters feel more human. I enjoy good human drama in all fiction. I watch Game of Thrones because of the characters and how their interaction plays out. It's really as simple as that, and I believe most people who enjoy the characters relationship aspect in FE are enjoying it for the same simple reasons. It's not weird and sick, people just are always interested in people, even fictional ones. I know I don't bother reading novels where I'm not interested in any of the characters.

Sorry for the rant, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

If Awakening failed then the series is over. They were planning to do away with the franchise because of horrible sales, and without sales the series cannot continue. So in one last ditch effort they tried something different and it worked.

Sadly, this is how things are.

Yes it's so sad we got another game in a franchise we all love, that led to a sequel that seems to want to change up the formula enough to keep it fresh. How sad for all of us.

In all seriousness great for it, quality game that deserved it, happy to see all the new fans.

Fantastic news. I'm assuming the DLC sold a lot more since the last time they gave numbers for those? I bought like $30 worth...

I also need the theme song from FE:if asap. Thanks. July 1 is too far away :/

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I know it's tongue-in-cheeck, but there's always that base assumption that any romantic aspects in a game is basically pandering some basement dweller virgins who fap to their 2D crushes because they can't get any. Or, at the very least enjoying romance is something ridiculous and effeminate. Romance is always brought up with derision, even when it's a very small and optional part of a game.

Fire Emblem is no romance game though and I think it's fine to be unhappy about that direction. I just did not use this option and then it didn't bother me but I'd be mad if they pushed it into the spotlight even more. However, the real problem of FEA is the fact that the game gives the option to grind in additional fights. This should never be an option, because it kills one of the most exciting aspects of the game, planning experience distribution. This way FE, in particular in the first few western-released outings, ends up being all about careful planning and nothing about dilligence. I hope Nohr will end up being the more sucessful version of FE If.

woopWOOP

This is an impressive figure for a tactical role-playing game. The only franchise that can compete in the same league is the already deceased Final Fantasy Tactics series.

PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics - 2.4 million units worldwide
GBA Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - 1.55 million units worldwide
NDS Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - 0.67 million units worldwide

http://release.square-enix.com/na/2011/08/04_01.html
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2003/download/0302-200311180000-01.pdf
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/news/20090525_01en.pdf
Well shit, there goes any hope for a reboot then. (FFTA with better multiplayer would've been king)

Anyway, good for FE. Here's hoping Nohr will outsell Hoshido so the 'traditional' FE mission structure isn't completely scrapped tho.

mrmickfran

I don't understand why people complain about the direction that Awakening went. It was either that, or goodbye to Fire Emblem.

Kinsei

Banned
Yes it's so sad we got another game in a franchise we all love, that led to a sequel that seems to want to change up the formula enough to keep it fresh. How sad for all of us.

In all seriousness great for it, quality game that deserved it, happy to see all the new fans.

Not all of us liked Awakening though. In an ideal world the FE series wouldn't have needed to be "saved" but they would have created Awakening as a spin-off. By having both series everyone would have gotten something they liked.

I don't understand why people complain about the direction that Awakening went. It was either that, or goodbye to Fire Emblem.

For some there's no difference.

Meneses

Thank you anime waifus and husbandos for not letting the Fire Emblem brand die.

Maybe one day we can have the Fire Emblem game back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's sad that the best selling Fire Emblem game is the one that is probably the worst as an actual strategy RPG. It will be even more sad when Hoshido destroys Nohr in sales so Nintendo/IS will end up ditching the older fanbase entirely.

:(

It's extremely unlikely that the first new/non-remake Fire Emblem game in 6 years wouldn't have sold 250k. Awakening didn't save Fire Emblem.

How so? If they hate the newest game why should they be grateful it "saved" the series?

Because it sounds like Nohr might be a more traditional FE game, even if it does keep some of the less desirable aspects of Awakening?

Disliking one game in a series is ok, you aren't required to like everything!

Anteo

Fire Emblem is no romance game though and I think it's fine to be unhappy about that direction. I just did not use this option and then it didn't bother me but I'd be mad if they pushed it into the spotlight even more. However, the real problem of FEA is the fact that the game gives the option to grind in additional fights. This should never be an option, because it kills one of the most exciting aspects of the game, planning experience distribution. This way FE, in particular in the first few western-released outings, ends up being all about careful planning and nothing about dilligence. I hope Nohr will end up being the more sucessful version of FE If.

By not using that option you mean you never paired anyone. Because getting super powerful units with insane skiĺls was a lot of fun.

Also Awakening exp curve is the only balanced part about the game. I beat it w/o grinding, and even got 2 of the kids in my main party.

Top Bottom