• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Got the physical for Birthright, so I'm going to start that campaign first.

I wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations for gender; I wanted to run male for Conquest because I want to romance Camilla, but I was thinking of going female for Birthright. Story-wise, what's recommended?

I've heard people say that playing as a female makes the early chapters of Conquest slightly easier because you get Jakob earlier who is a pretty strong unit. However, I'm doing the same thing as you. Custom Male in Conquest and Custom Female in Birthright. I think I might play as Canon Male Corrin for Revelations.

Wait what?

I'm confused now. What does that mean for someone like me that both the physical special edition? Am I just screwed now?

The physical special edition includes all 3 campaigns on one game-card. If that's what you bought, you don't have to worry about this stuff.

Xenoflare

Maybe I watched too much of this game on my laptops and phones, looks a bit washed out on the XL

But nevertheless I love everything

dmann

Picked up my copy of the special edition at Best Buy! The guy behind me was picking up a copy of Birthright. As I was leaving the counter, the guy offered to buy my special edition for two times what I paid for it. I thought about it for a second, but decline his offer and wished him well.

Anyways, looking forward to spending my weekend playing the game.

Hazmat

I came home over lunch to snag my special edition that got delivered (didn't want it to end up in the apartment office, I'm going out of town tonight after the office closes). No time to play though. As if Friday afternoons weren't long enough already...

I've heard people say that playing as a female makes the early chapters of Conquest slightly easier because you get Jakob earlier who is a pretty strong unit. However, I'm doing the same thing as you. Custom Male in Conquest and Custom Female in Birthright. I think I might play as Canon Male Corrin for Revelations.
It makes all the routes easier with Jakob.

It's just that Conquest needs the boost more.

ChrisD

Sakura died in Chapter 4 to a Critical Hit. I didn't even get to reach her. Am I good, no actual loss of member, or do I reset?

I know it's not even been an hour, but if anyone knows the answer to this mind sharing the info? :p

Have lunch to cook and eat, but then I'll just reset if there's no reply. Not really that long a chapter, it's just not a fun one.

Gestahl

I know it's not even been an hour, but if anyone knows the answer to this mind sharing the info? :p

Have lunch to cook and eat, but then I'll just reset if there's no reply. Not really that long a chapter, it's just not a fun one.

She might give you a staff or something if you talk to her, I don't know. I know someone gives a concoction on that chapter. I can't imagine any units dying in the prologue would affect the main campaigns but I've never had it happen outside the obvious chapter 5 one so I wouldn't know.

Luigi87

Okay literally just started.

... Kind of amused that when deciding Corrin's look, Tall Male is more muscular, and Tall Female has a larger bust than the Short choices.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm only at Chapter 6 and am playing Birthright but I'm really curious how the heck they try to justify siding with Nohr.

The back of the Conquest box says you work with your siblings to change Nohr from within. I'm guessing that's how they'll justify it.

ChrisD

She might give you a staff or something if you talk to her, I don't know. I know someone gives a concoction on that chapter. I can't imagine any units dying in the prologue would affect the main campaigns but I've never had it happen outside the obvious chapter 5 one so I wouldn't know.

Yeah, I didnt think I'd have a problem with unit deaths either. But Crit Happens.

Hrmm, it didn't play the death song, and it is still the Prologue... I'll roll with it, then. Will keep a separate save file just in case.

Thanks.

Gestahl

Yeah, I didnt think I'd have a problem with unit deaths either. But Crit Happens.

Hrmm, it didn't play the death song, and it is still the Prologue... I'll roll with it, then. Will keep a separate save file just in case.

Thanks.

She's in chapter 5 fwiw so it wouldn't be hard to see if it fucks with the prologue at least.

Sifl

Just for clarification, I bought birthright on the eshop then opened the game and downloaded conquest at a discount.
So I play up to
Chapter 6
and then I can pick which route I wanna go?

Feeroper

When buying the DLC campaigns so the other versions in game, does the game use you Nintendo ID amount on your account, or do you have to purchase it separate from that account?

I plan on cancelling one of my pre-orders and do the DLC route, but want to know if I should just put the money from the cancelled version onto a Nintendo eShop card to redeem first so I can have the $$ set aside for the DLC paths.

I'm only at Chapter 6 and am playing Birthright but I'm really curious how the heck they try to justify siding with Nohr.

It's actually rather simple.
MC just can't abandon the people he spent his whole life with. Ryoma though starts being what I enjoy about Prodigal type characters, their pettiness and refusal to accept that they lost by circumstance. After all, how could they lose, they're the zenith of skill.

Chrom

Just for clarification, I bought birthright on the eshop then opened the game and downloaded conquest at a discount.
So I play up to
Chapter 6
and then I can pick which route I wanna go?

Yes. You have the data for both paths now, so at the Branch of Fate, whichever choice you make will continue the story accordingly.

Had a SE preorder for delivery from Best Buy but since that is in limbo I went to Best Buy to just buy 1 physical copy (conquest), 1 digital (birthright) and get $5 off Revelations and Map Pack 1. Their system screwed up and the guy couldn't add Revelations to my order so they had a manager come over a take the $5 discount of Birthright (digital) and told me I need to go to BB.com to preorder Revelations. So I ended up getting both games and MP1 for $60 after gcu. Think I'll just buy Revelations from the eshop

KingClown

Whoo! Just got back from the store with my SE!

IMG_1107%202.JPG

Can't wait to start this badboy up!

McBryBry

Still waiting on mine because UPS in this area blows. I've got the new 3DS XL SE console coming in. Do the special edition ones call under the same rule of no charger included? If so I need to get to Gamestop lol

Ventara

I swear I didn't see this in the OP. Is there anything that carries over from Birthright to Conquest? Like, is there a benefit to buying one as DLC (other than the money)?

Right now, I'm debating whether I should open up the SE or just play both routes on the regular physical cart (and then buy the 3rd route digitally).

Edit: Okay, I was wrong.

What is the benefit of having 1 cartridge and the other 2 routes downloaded vs 2 cartridges?
-Well it is cheaper for one and you get to have every route on the go. But the biggest draw is that there are exclusive bonuses to those who have all 3 routes downloaded onto the cart save. You get access to the Dread Knight and Dark Flier Class through Reclass Seals and you also get stat enhancers such as Boots. You still get bonus items for owning 2 of the routes, but if you want all of it, get all 3!

But technically correct since it was in the second post, and being technically correct is the best kind of correct.

So i'm at Chapter 5 and I think I know a plot twist, and if its what I think it is,
then its Stupid

Also
Seriously, no one noticed the clearly evil dressed bad guy

Ventara

Okay, another question. I know Birthright is easier, but story-wise, is it better to play Birthright or Conquest first? Does it even matter?

I started Conquest just now. I'll basically be playing the whole day and over the weekend.

As I stated before, I'll post once I have selected my team. I can't wait to get past these first six chapters. I'm using a Strong/Fragile Samurai protagonist, so he will be a glass cannon. I will rely on others to be tanks.

Fumpster

Got my copy of Birthright today, super excited to start it. I did have a quick question: I have Conquest pre-ordered from Best Buy and it will likely arrive on Monday. Don't worry, I DID read the OP and I know that owning both physically is not the best idea because there is some content you'll miss out on by not having all 3 on the same cart.

That said, I was wondering how significant the stuff you miss out on is? I see that it's a few classes and maybe some weapons, but if I'm the kind of person who doesn't consider that to be very huge, would it still be a bad idea to keep my physical copy of Conquest and then play Revelation on either cart? Or is it just flat out hugely recommended to keep them all to the same cart?

I couldn't snag the Special Edition, so this is mostly just me worrying about replays in the future and wanting to play this years down the road, only to find that the other paths have been delisted or something.

Gestahl

Got my copy of Birthright today, super excited to start it. I did have a quick question: I have Conquest pre-ordered from Best Buy and it will likely arrive on Monday. Don't worry, I DID read the OP and I know that owning both physically is not the best idea because there is some content you'll miss out on by not having all 3 on the same cart.

That said, I was wondering how significant the stuff you miss out on is? I see that it's a few classes and maybe some weapons, but if I'm the kind of person who doesn't consider that to be very huge, would it still be a bad idea to keep my physical copy of Conquest and then play Revelation on either cart? Or is it just flat out hugely recommended to keep them all to the same cart?

I couldn't snag the Special Edition, so this is mostly just me worrying about replays in the future and wanting to play this years down the road, only to find that the other paths have been delisted or something.

You get extra save slots per campaign added to one account or cart or whatever, and any DLC you buy might not get shared between two physical copies.

Fumpster

You get extra save slots per campaign added to one account or cart or whatever, and any DLC you buy might not get shared between two physical copies.

Ah, the save file thing is kind of important for me. Alright, awesome! Thank you for the info. I'll return the second copy to Best Buy then.

Quick mechanics question re:Corrin class access

According to my hastily scribbled notes Conquest!Corrin can Friend Seal into the following classes: (Going to spoiler the whole thing since spoilering individual names on my phone would drive me nuts).

M: Sky Knight (via Shigure), Cavalier (Silas), Knight (Ignatius), Fighter (Artur) , Mercenary (Lazward), Outlaw (Shura) , Wyvern Knight (Percy), Mage (Odin), Rod Knight (Jakob)

F: As Above (Azura/Sophie/Effie/Charlotte/Luna/Nina/Camilla/Nyx/Felicia)+ Merchant (Midori) and Bowman (Mozames Villager -> Bowman)
Is that right ?

If so it implies that M!Rev!Corrin has no access to Oni Savage or Merchant by Friend Seals , while F!Rev!Corrin has full class access.

M!Rev!Corrin can get Oni Savage by marriage but can't get Merchant other than by picking it as Talent.

M!Birthright!Corrin misses Oni Savage (when Compared to F) by Friend but can get it by marriage.

Is a that right ? If so is there some reason a female Avatar has better class access on every route ? I'm guessing Bowman access on Nohr (usually a Hoshido class) is due to the Villager irregularity. But there seems to be little reason for the other issues.

Top Bottom