• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates shipped 1.84 million copies by March 31st (prior to EU launch)

redcrayon

Since they're talking shipping and FE was a part of a list of other retail products, I guess it's physical Birthright/Conquest/Special only.
The footnotes say it includes digital versions of the physical copies (probably meaning the digital version bought as a full game, not extra DLC campaigns) and copies bundled with hardware.

L95

I wish they had made more of the special editions. Now, I'm just waiting to pick them up used.

Might have trouble with that if you're going for cheaper prices. Awakening didn't just bolster sales, but also used FE game prices across the board :(

Might already have been asked, but how they are counting copies sold seems very important in this number, at least in the comparisons to awakening

Is buy retail or download of birthright/conquest from store/eshop +DLC of the other version counting for one or two copies of "Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright/Conquest" sold? I suspect it's probably counted as two copies sold rather than one, which is an easy way to inflate sale numbers, I'd reckon.

Good marketing combined with making the game more easily accessible to the general audience.
I think presentation had more effect. Those cutscenes made the game look fantastic. More colorful and good voice acting

Awakening was still a shock to me that is became so huge that I got the last copy in my area for weeks.

wrowa

Might already have been asked, but how they are counting copies sold seems very important in this number, at least in the comparisons to awakening

Is buy retail or download of birthright/conquest from store/eshop +DLC of the other version counting for one or two copies of "Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright/Conquest" sold? I suspect it's probably counted as two copies sold rather than one, which is an easy way to inflate sale numbers, I'd reckon.

Since it's just one SKU it should be counted as one sale.

If Fire Emblem can keep improving and increase the momentum it can sell better then Zelda.
That's pretty awesome, then again Zelda isn't extactly BIG sellers anymore unless I'm wrong.

Zebei

What a turn around for the series. Love to hear it.

Hopefully this doesn't mean more games with 3 versions :p

What a turn around for the series. Love to hear it.

Hopefully this doesn't mean more games with 3 versions :p

The main decision for that was to fit all the goddamn story their scenario writer gave them, more than 3 books worth.

It'll be a toss up if they're willing to try it again.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I have never, ever seen "Ouch" used that way in this kind of context. I've only seen it used that way when someone's getting injured in a spectacular but painful-looking manner.
He's trying to backpedal after he tried to make a dumb remark, shhhhhh.

Glad FE is doing well, but I wasn't a fan of the release model at all. I don't mind multiple games being released at once, but the plot was incredibly thin across both main routes, and playing both didn't add much value to the story. They also shouldn't have made one more "accessible" and the other one more "hardcore" or whatever. Ideally, I should be able to enjoy the complexities of Conquest's maps in both games, while those who are new to the series should be able to turn down the difficulty to suit their needs. Birthright was a disappointment in this respect, because while I wanted to use the classes and characters offered, I was forced to go through comparatively less interesting maps in contrast to Conquest.

I.e. separate the plot, characters, and setting if you want, but keep the maps and objectives equally interesting and offer difficulty modes to reach different audiences in both releases. :/

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It's going to hit 3 million isn't it? Right now it's bigger than Kirby, and it has a very real chance to sell more than what Metroid ever did. Fire Emblem. Who could have seen that coming?

I think 3.5 million is way more reasonable. If not 4 million.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
When all is well and done, this game is gonna sell some amazing numbers.

I feel like Fire Emblem is gonna become one of the stronger Nintendo series in the nexts years, the succes of this series is only going to increase imo, even cause that mobile game will surely help.

I can see this series sells something like 5-7 million per main game in some years. My opinion, of course.

When all is well and done, this game is gonna sell some amazing numbers.

I feel like Fire Emblem is gonna become one of the stronger Nintendo series in the nexts years, the succes of this series is only going to increase imo, even cause that mobile game will surely help.

I can see this series sells something like 5-7 million per main game in some years. My opinion, of course.

I never would think Fire Emblem to Rival Final Fantasy in terms of Sales. But the growth potential is there.

TheJoRu

I have never, ever seen "Ouch" used that way in this kind of context. I've only seen it used that way when someone's getting injured in a spectacular but painful-looking manner.

I imagined it as if Awakening and Fates was in a boxing match. Both doing a pretty good job before Fates lands a glorious knockout-blow on Awakening, prompting the announcers to roar "Ouch!" excitedly as Awakening tumbles to the ground; outmatched, but with its pride still intact from the stellar overall performance.

I'd be fine with more pokemon styled separate game releases.

But I NEED the option to buy all three on one cart if they do it. Not being able to buy the SE has basically made it so I don't ever play the game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well it could have been higher if we European could join in the fun. ¬_¬;

They manage to attract the more casual audience without losing their longtime fans. Also shipping characters is a lot bigger than most people expect.

This pretty much, casual mode was a god send as it removed the fear of having my character die in battle and just allowed me to enjoy the story and battle in peace.

I was really surprised by just how deep I got into the role play as I self inserted myself as the Avatar.

Cordelia best Wife ever. <(^_^)>

I have but it's better in spoken form and usually like Ouuuuuuch.

Still not out for almost another month T_T hahaha! Soon!

I blame Yo-kai Watch pushing it back, it's all their fault. ¬_¬;

P90

Best game in the series deserves those sales.

Fates is amazing.

I disagree. I would take Awakening over Fates any day. Fates had more refined gameplay, but Awakening actually had characters with personality. All of Fates' characters are totally forgettable. Lucina, Chrom, and Robin are notable.

Back OT, it is good to see the increase in FE sales. :)

Squire

Banned
Tell me why the old FEs don't sell well.

I don't think the anime leanings were as strong then and while they had supports, it wasn't in a post-S.Link era where a lot people knew that type of thing was exactly what they wanted.

I think the current games owe quite a bit to Kozaki's art.

vakarian32

I just started playing Awakening a couple of weeks ago, and have the Fates CE on pre-order. Looking forward to it, really enjoying Awakening so far.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Are different path DLCs figured into total sales? Would the fact I bought Hoshido then got Nohr mean I technically bought 2 copies of the game?

Unless you got two digital copies at full price or bought 2 physical copies at $40 a piece, your only counted as one sale to Nintendo.

I am curious how the series will progress, a double game formula with similar but different design goals every time is really inefficient.

What I'm thinking is an expansion on Casual mode and more difficult selects that would be easy to implement such as a grinding setting but cannot be changed. That way they could bypass any difficulty concerns that a game like Conquest might present. Also hoping for 35 chapter story mode with maybe 5 paralogues.

Pretty much every era of Fire Emblem is different in style so who knows what kind of gameplay NX FE will have.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Awakening had so much more character/personality that's not even a close match.

I would blame it on having a cast that is too big.

You basically have a cast of two games, split into three games, and because of it, something is lost, which is character development and personality.

I would blame it on having a cast that is too big.

You basically have a cast of two games, split into three games, and because of it, something is lost, which is character development and personality.

But even if you play the three games the characters are still mostly flat. I mean, Awakening isn't really that good either but I still remember Lucina, Robin, even Chrom in a nice way.

But even if you play the three games the characters are still mostly flat. I mean, Awakening isn't really that good either but I still remember Lucina, Robin, even Chrom in a nice way.

I dunno, it's probably gonna be a long time until a character as memorable as Xander comes along to me.

Also, I want a trilogy from this series. For some reason the games always seem better when presented in sections at a time like a Saga.

NeonZ

I think Fates kind of stumbled with an important character (Azura), but otherwise I'd consider most Birthright characters on par with Awakening's and Conquest's actually better. The main issue was the actual storyline, which clearly received more effort than Awakening's as far as presentation and script length goes (even in a single campaign) but turned out to be very problematic.

I am curious how the series will progress, a double game formula with similar but different design goals every time is really inefficient.

It seemingly worked out for the sales of this game though, and apparently the staff working on the game wasn't bigger than Awakening's. The issue with difficulty levels is that after a certain point (like if you want to remove core skills from enemies or map goals) they might as well be designing two different chapters.

It seemingly worked out for the sales of this game though, and apparently the staff working on the game wasn't bigger than Awakening's. The issue with difficulty levels is that after a certain point (like if you want to remove core skills from enemies or map goals) they might as well be designing two different chapters.

True but I think there's an easier way to get what they wanted sales wise for less confusing design goals. Just do some good marketing like usual and they'll get away with it. I'm pretty sure an average casual player could beat conquest on Normal. Though I'll say conquest has the most fitting names for its difficulties that I've seen since Ninja Gaiden.

Scum

Meanwhile in Yurop....

pQFDMWc.gif

Top Bottom