• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates shipped 1.84 million copies by March 31st (prior to EU launch)

Lynx_7

Awakening had so much more character/personality that's not even a close match.

That's debatable though. I think the chemistry between the Chrom-Robin-Lucina core is better than Corrin-Family, but as for each character's individual personalities and supports I think Fates has the stronger overall cast. Except the children, those were definetely better on Awakening by a considerable margin. But as much as I liked the main trio, Owain, batman dude, Inigo, Severa, Tharja, Lon'qu and a few others, I like the Conquest and Birthright siblings, Niles, Saizo, Kaze, Odin-Laslow-Selena
(is this cheating?)
, Arthur-Percy, Oboro, Peri and Keaton a little better as a whole. And I say this as someone that was quite fond of my Awakening team. Walhart >>> Garon by a country mile though.

RevenWolf

Haha it's been such a long wait. I'm getting the Special Edition, fortunately in Australia it was extremely easy to come by. How about yourself?

Well... I did really enjoy Yo-Kai, but I would have taken FE over it if I had the choice.

I want to get all 3 versions so I was thinking collectors edition as well, but I'm not sure on the price :/ where are you picking up your CE?

Aters

I don't think the anime leanings were as strong then and while they had supports, it wasn't in a post-S.Link era where a lot people knew that type of thing was exactly what they wanted.

I think the current games owe quite a bit to Kozaki's art.
So, more beach, hotspring, and maybe high school classrooms next time?

If they keep the quality of the level design, I'd be OK with it.

PK Gaming

I don't think the anime leanings were as strong then and while they had supports, it wasn't in a post-S.Link era where a lot people knew that type of thing was exactly what they wanted.

This

The new games are very good and accessible, with excellent marketing and reviews/general word of mouth backing them as well. I don't think these were all factors with the older games.

b-but it has too many characters in smash

And this

Kozaki's art was definitely what finally made me jump on the Fire Emblem train, he does such beautiful, distinctive work. He has a great sense of style and anatomy, and his designs are always really cohesive. I love his FE sketches on Twitter, he does such nuanced representations of the cast. (If the FE series' art director could maybe be a bit more practical in creating the 'armor' for Kozaki's character designs, that would be great. Poor Camilla. Nohr's clothing/armor designs were so inconsistent in comparison to Hoshido's.)

Kozaki's art was definitely what finally made me jump on the Fire Emblem train, he does such beautiful, distinctive work. He has a great sense of style and anatomy, and his designs are always really cohesive. I love his FE sketches on Twitter, he does such nuanced representations of the cast. (If the FE series' art director could maybe be a bit more practical in creating the 'armor' for Kozaki's character designs, that would be great. Poor Camilla. Nohr's clothing/armor designs were so inconsistent in comparison to Hoshido's.)

If they get Kita on Armor design and Kozaki back on character design for the next game, I'm going to flip out, doesn't hurt that it seems like Kozaki genuinely seems to enjoy doing art for the games so I don't think he's leaving. But for the love of god, put Kita to work IS.

Squire

Banned
But even if you play the three games the characters are still mostly flat. I mean, Awakening isn't really that good either but I still remember Lucina, Robin, even Chrom in a nice way.

Subjective as it is, I'd say the vast majority of Fates characters only come across as flat if you don't see enough of their supports or even the right ones in some cases. You could argue that's a failure on their part all the same, but I think it's a meaningful distinction. I played Birthright and Conquest and I found there was a great duality to most the units in both.

This

The new games are very good and accessible, with excellent marketing and reviews/general word of mouth backing them as well. I don't think these were all factors with the older games.

And this

It's the benefits of bringing the series back in a far more connected era. A niche can really grow itself. We've seen Persona grow the same way.

I completely agree. Kozaki is super talented and maybe even the next big character designer. I think his art and how distinct it is gave the series a heightened sense of personality that wasn't there before. FE never looked bad, but now it looks distinct and that's the key.

Subjective as it is, I'd say the vast majority of Fates characters only come across as flat if you don't see enough of their supports or even the right ones in some cases. You could argue that's a failure on their part all the same, but I think it's a meaningful distinction. I played Birthright and Conquest and I found there was a great duality to most the units in both.

This is why I hope base conversations return, they were an elegant solution to the weaknesses that Supports have at times even if I don't think PoR and RD used them to their fullest extent.

Draxal

If they get Kita on Armor design and Kozaki back on character design for the next game, I'm going to flip out, doesn't hurt that it seems like Kozaki genuinely seems to enjoy doing art for the games so I don't think he's leaving. But for the love of god, put Kita to work IS.

Kita is just too busy drawing Ike and Soren over again and and again and again.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160428/index.html

08.jpg

This graph shows the Nintendo 3DS first-party software sell-through in the U.S., compared with the same period over the last two years.
Fire Emblem Fates was launched in America in February this year, building momentum for 3DS software sales.
The discount versions of four titles introduced under the Nintendo Selects banner in March have also provided a positive impact.
09.jpg

With respect to Fire Emblem Fates released in February, this graph shows a comparison between the total sell-through in the U.S. market and the total sell-through in the Japanese market, where the title launched earlier. The week of each launch is counted as Week 1.
Sales surpassed the 500,000 mark in the U.S. in Week 6 and have continued without losing momentum. Recently, sales caught up to Japan and are even maintaining a pace slightly higher than in the Japanese market.

10.jpg

This graph adds a comparison with the previous entry in the series, Fire Emblem Awakening. As you can see, there are major differences in the trends in the Japanese and American markets.
In Japan, most of the demand is filled within the first few weeks after launch, but the Fire Emblem series continues to perform well over a long period in the U.S.
In the past, the Fire Emblem series did not sell as well in the U.S. as it did in Japan. However, Fire Emblem Awakening greatly expanded the user base for the series, and the current entry, Fire Emblem Fates, has been popular abroad as well since launch.

Jintor

[ groans of increasing comfort ]

Well deserved. Fates gameplay was absolutely fantastic.

Just please FOR THE LOVE OF ANANKOS HIRE A WRITER. A great story will elevate this series from awesome to incredible.

lol weren't they pushing their awesome manga writer they got prior to japan release? lololol

rhandino

Banned
Sakurai redeemed? Are there going to be more meltdowns if the next Smash includes another Fire Emblem character?

Jokes aside I love to see how this series has growth so much in the last years and now it has a chance to be one of the biggest IP for Nintendo thanks to Mobile.

Slė.

Moonlight

Banned
lol weren't they pushing their awesome manga writer they got prior to japan release? lololol
I think anyone who had read Getbackers and any other of Kibayashi's works could have told you then and there that he wasn't worth boasting about.

Though the process behind drafting the scripts for all three games sounded like a total disaster, so it's hard to say if he's 100% at fault.

rhandino

Banned
I think anyone who had read Getbackers and any other of Kibayashi's works could have told you then and there that he wasn't worth boasting about.
Wait, what? He wrote GetBackers!? I LOVE the shit out of that manga (or at least what I managed to readwhich was a lot) and my brother loved the anime and like to share it with his friends.

T_T

Kita is just too busy drawing Ike and Soren over again and and again and again.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160428/index.html

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg
Thanks for posting this. Looks like Fire Emblem will be given a higher priority as a series and a larger budget as well going forward. Surprised at how well Fates is doing in the Americas and curious to see how it performs in Europe. As others said get a better writer and just don't be creepy about things.

Top Bottom