• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling World [OT] Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

Ryce

The new "Canadian Destroyer" is actually Volador Jr.'s Volador Spiral.

f2XFJRm.gif

Credit to brick9mm on Fire Pro Arena for the GIF.

Does the COM Level matter for simming? I've been running 10 match PPVs at COM Level 10 with an average rating of around 90-94%. Usually 3-5 95-100% matches and 1-2 clunkers of 80% or less.

Are Cesaro's Springboard Spiral Uppercut, Deadlift Apron-to-Ring Suplex and Neville's Delayed Deadlift German Suplex in the game? If so what are they called?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I have a bunch of guys in my Retired section I want to unsub from, but they're not showing up in my subscriptions anymore. Anyone else having this issue?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Does the COM Level matter for simming? I've been running 10 match PPVs at COM Level 10 with an average rating of around 90-94%. Usually 3-5 95-100% matches and 1-2 clunkers of 80% or less.

COM level effects how tight their grapple timing is, at level 10 they are near flawless, this results in a lot of "tests of strength" as they both input the same grapples at the same frame over and over. I usually go for COM level 5 or so.

MYeager

Are Cesaro's Springboard Spiral Uppercut, Deadlift Apron-to-Ring Suplex and Neville's Delayed Deadlift German Suplex in the game? If so what are they called?

FPWArena ran some tests on sim matches and I believe determined that level 10 produced high % numbers.

No, No, and the Dead End Back Grapple.

sw26

I picked this up today, and in short I'm loving it.

Bit of (possibly needless) background - I'm what you could call a lapsed wrestling fan, stopped watching WWE about 10 years ago and as a result stopped picking up the games but would class No Mercy as one of my favourite games of all time. I had never played a Fire Pro game.

Despite a totally different gameplay feel, this really echoes the N64 Aki games for me in the sense that from my initial impressions it feels like you can really 'master' the gameplay engine, and I really enjoy the timing based aspect as opposed to it being a button masher.

I'm glad I took the plunge as I thought my laptop (2012) might not be able to run it but it runs fine, and this will become my go to 'pick up and play' game for sure.

Out of interest, on a technical level would the Workshop support or anything similar even be possible on the PS4 version to come? I would double dip for a 'couch' version but if the CAW sharing was to disappear that would be a deal breaker for me.

2 possibly dumb questions:

How do you delete a costume in edit mode?

Is it possible to change the costume of the title holder for a title match?

hamsjams

I used to play several wrestling dice and card games. A lot of the fun of the game was reading results posted online by other players as they "booked" their own promotions. This very lengthy post is in that spirit.

I held a 16 man tournament to crown my first Ego FC Champion. I set the fights to be 15 3-minute rounds winnable by pinfall, submission, KO, and TKO. Highlights include:

Minoru Suzuki took on Mike Tyson in the very first fight. Suzuki, clad in white, styled on Tyson for a few minutes with strikes, throws, and submission attempts. Tyson was staggered and looked severely outmatched. And then Tyson enacted what would become his one and only game plan of the night: punch the holy shit out of everything. Suzuki submitted to an endless barrage of mounted punches to the back of his head and in an unexpected turn of events Iron Mike advanced.

George Hackenschmidt was scheduled to perform public workouts every day this week but didn’t show at any of them. Whatever he was doing instead left him woefully unprepared. Akira Maeda blew Hack away in the shortest fight of the tournament.

Randy Couture and Quinton Jackson had a spirited battle that saw Randy go so berserk he tried several times to deliver offense from the top of the turnbuckles. Each attempt to climb the turnbuckles ended in Couture slipping of the bottom rope and falling on his ass. Even so, he managed a Knockout victory over Rampage.

Josh Barnett (as played by me) fought Chuck Liddell in the last match up of the first round. Barnett took advantage with a series of several consecutive Rolling Shoulder Holds and soon after won the fight with a decisive critical on the final Rolling Shoulder Hold. Officials say the Iceman’s shoulder was dislocated by the maneuver.

Other first round matches saw Lou Thesz defeat Masakatsu Funaki in the longest bout of the tournament as well as fights featuring Volk Han vs. Don Frye, Ed “The Strangler” Lewis vs. Karl Gotch, and Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Bas Rutten.

In the second round Maeda came out with murderous intent and a barrage of brutal kicks for Mike Tyson. Tyson responded with even more brutal punches and submitted Maeda by repeatedly punching the bejesus out of the back of his head.

Volk Han outgrappled the legendary Lou Thesz. By fight’s end, Thesz was writhing around on the canvas and clutching his leg. Despite the injury, Thesz endured minutes more of Han’s torturous and unusual submission holds before relenting.

Bas Rutten and Josh Barnett engaged in a slow and highly tactical fight. Both men spent nearly 10 minutes cautiously poking each other with strikes and maneuvering around the ring. The final five minutes saw Barnett open up with huge throws and successful takedowns, eventually leading to a win by Knockout.

In the third round, Mike Tyson’s punches were pitted directly against Volk Han’s holds. Han controlled most of the tempo, gradually wearing Tyson down, but soon found himself on the end of the now infamous endless barrage of punches to the back of the head. Pressure mounted and the audience was in disbelief at the seeming effectiveness of Tyson’s laser focused, if unskilled, strategy. Han managed to slap on an arm hold of some sort and though Tyson responded with a swift punch that broke the hold immediately the referee signaled that Tyson had in fact also verbally submitted. The crowd seemed somehow relieved and Han was sure of his victory, but Tyson was visibly livid with the verdict.

In the opening minutes of their fight, Randy Couture took Josh Barnett to the canvas and assaulted him with mounted punches to the face. Barnett was heavily bloodied and battered, but spent the next several rounds clawing his way back into the fight. Couture advanced relentlessly and unflinchingly through Barnett’s standing strikes but the punishment eventually caught up with him and Barnett earned a spot in the Finals with a Rear Naked Choke.

In the Final Fight to crown the first ever Ego FC Champion a stitched-up Josh Barnett took on a bruised and concussed Volk Han. Barnett tried his best to keep things standing, but Han repeatedly got inside and brought things to the canvas. Weathering a storm of strikes, Han continually applied his unusual submissions and it soon became clear that Barnett was absorbing the greater portion of the damage being dealt. Frustrated, Barnett attempted throws and holds of his but the majority of them were turned around by Han into yet another dire grasp. Barnett managed to assume a mounted position on Han and rained down blows, turning Volk into a bloody mess. That was the turning point of the fight as Barnett delivered an uninterrupted series of big slams and throws, survived one last submission attempt by Han, and finally won the championship and the tournament with a Rear Naked Choke. “The Warmaster” Josh Barnett was crowned the first ever Ego FC Champion!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After the event, George Hackenschmidt’s camp demanded a rematch with Akira Maeda. Maeda will almost certainly accept.

Chuck Liddell and Lou Thesz will be out of action for indeterminate but probably short time spans as they recover from their respective injuries.

Mike Tyson and his representatives claim that Tyson never submitted to Volk Han and that Han, Referee Herb Dean, and the Ego FC Commission all conspired to wrongfully eliminate Tyson from the tournament. Tyson demands a rematch with Volk Han or an immediate shot at Josh Barnett and the Ego FC Championship.

Randy Couture tested positive for certain performance-enhancing drugs, but as no PED’s are disallowed by the Ego FC Commission, he will most likely be scheduled to fight Volk Han to determine Josh Barnett’s first challenger.

Antonio Inoki was highly perturbed by not being invited to the tournament and has vowed to take revenge on Ego FC for the grave insult.

The Stig

Are there any youtube channels for simming? You know with decent commentary.

I watched a couple and it's surprisingly entertaining. Also something I can sort of tune in and out of while working.

I used to play several wrestling dice and card games. A lot of the fun of the game was reading results posted online by other players as they "booked" their own promotions. This very lengthy post is in that spirit.

I held a 16 man tournament to crown my first Ego FC Champion. I set the fights to be 15 3-minute rounds winnable by pinfall, submission, KO, and TKO. Highlights include...

Doing stuff like this definitely adds a lot of longevity to the Fire Pro games.

While eagerly awaiting world for PS4 (and maybe Switch), I booted up Fire Pro Returns (PS2) on my PS3 and decided to create my own G1 type events.

First I did a WWE G1 making a league with 4 groups of 10 wrestlers each. Group 1 is current Raw superstars, Group 2 is Smackdown, Group 3 is NXT and Group 4 205 Live. I was happy to see the game automatically put the winner of each round-robin group into a new 4 person round robin league. I played as Aleister Black who took the top prize.

Next was my league called World War 3, this time 16 wrestlers in each of the 4 groups. The top finishers from my WWE G1 formed group 1, New Japan is group 2, Lucha Underground for Group 3 and ex/disgruntled WWE superstars and indie freelancers in group 4. Of course my Pentagon Dark is dominating thus far.

Slizz

Online is so much better now, movement is always fluid, though input lag is still there and prevalent. Up to 40 wins now in Cement matches, no one complains or quits anymore which is awesome. Lots of people I play now stay in the room for multiple matches which is great as well. People I think are figuring out the online play more and more and it seems to be growing.

Just had a great Naito Ishii match.

Tunahead

Are there any youtube channels for simming? You know with decent commentary.

I watched a couple and it's surprisingly entertaining. Also something I can sort of tune in and out of while working.

newLEGACYinc has some Fire Pro Wrestling World sim tournaments /w commentary. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

FINALLY beat the fucking pain in the ass cage match in Mission Mode. I just discovered that you can ram your opponent's head into the cage. Doing that a few times + a few piledrivers seems to have done the trick. Won the damn thing at last in only 3 minutes and xx seconds. Feels good, man!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
FINALLY beat the fucking pain in the ass cage match in Mission Mode. I just discovered that you can ram your opponent's head into the cage. Doing that a few times + a few piledrivers seems to have done the trick. Won the damn thing at last in only 3 minutes and xx seconds. Feels good, man!

I still haven't gone past the cage dive mission. I tried it a few times but at this point I'm just hoping the cage match AI gets fixed so it doesn't start the endless escape loop as soon as you climb.

I still haven't gone past the cage dive mission. I tried it a few times but at this point I'm just hoping the cage match AI gets fixed so it doesn't start the endless escape loop as soon as you climb.
What helps is making sure he's dazed after a piledriver. Once you get to that point 2-3 times consistently, piledrive him again. Then climb the cage by pressing the button AND up ↑ at the same time. Pressing just the button alone makes for a much slower climb.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is there a timeline for how long they plan to keep this in EA? If it's going to be the long haul, I don't mind double dipping for the PC version.. but if it's a short time.. I'll wait it out.

Is there a timeline for how long they plan to keep this in EA? If it's going to be the long haul, I don't mind double dipping for the PC version.. but if it's a short time.. I'll wait it out.
From the Steam page for Fire Pro Wrestling World:

What the developers have to say:

Why Early Access?
“Customization is a key component in the Fire Pro series. Our initial goal was to recreate the classic gameplay and key editing features. From here we can have users help customize the game!”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“A few months, depending on the scope of feedback.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“More robust editing tools and additional game modes/match options.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Fully playable with online matchmaking and basic editing tools to create custom wrestlers/belts/referees/rings/logos.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Early Access users will enjoy a lower price. We’re still considering the final release price.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“Let us know what features you would like to see implemented!
Edit Mode can be daunting for new players. We’re counting on Fire Pro vets to help the community unlock the full potential of the toolset!”

What's the deal with this Akira Tozawa CAW?

It's the best looking one but it requires you also download a Goldberg CAW. Huh?! I've never run into that before. WTH?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1094653379

As far as I know, yes, but I haven't tried it myself to be able to verify firsthand. Search through the Discussions to make sure and see if anyone encountered any problems.

i'd bet you dont really need to, and this is just a way of him advertising other caws he did.

hamsjams

Doing stuff like this definitely adds a lot of longevity to the Fire Pro games.

While eagerly awaiting world for PS4 (and maybe Switch), I booted up Fire Pro Returns (PS2) on my PS3 and decided to create my own G1 type events.

First I did a WWE G1 making a league with 4 groups of 10 wrestlers each. Group 1 is current Raw superstars, Group 2 is Smackdown, Group 3 is NXT and Group 4 205 Live. I was happy to see the game automatically put the winner of each round-robin group into a new 4 person round robin league. I played as Aleister Black who took the top prize.

Next was my league called World War 3, this time 16 wrestlers in each of the 4 groups. The top finishers from my WWE G1 formed group 1, New Japan is group 2, Lucha Underground for Group 3 and ex/disgruntled WWE superstars and indie freelancers in group 4. Of course my Pentagon Dark is dominating thus far.

Wow! I have to see if World's current League mode is able to do all that. Did you have to manually create all those wrestlers for Returns or were you able to do some download tricks somehow? I've always known of Fire Pros edit scene but never looked into how to get the edits myself.

Reading all the tidbits of results that everyone posts is so interesting. I intend to share a lot more. I'll be on the lookout for more from you, if you feel like sharing more too.

it's a common things in other mod heavy games. i never made a mod on steam, but i'd guess it's only something you need to turn on.
It's dumb.

Someone just posted a complaint on the creator's Tozawa page (not me).

Retro Edge 24 minutes ago
Why do i need to subscribe to your other CAWs to get this? No thanks.
Hopefully that gets him to turn it off.

Edit: Just noticed that it's a GAFer who posted in this thread today. :) Thank you!!!

After watching tons of videos the one thing that bothers me is the lack of selling. This was kind of a problem with Returns too but was a non issue in the earlier games. I hope they fix that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
New Patch:

Patch Notes said:
[OFFLINE MODE]
When selecting a wrestler with multiple costumes, you can now cancel and return to the Wrestler Select screen.
Added keyboard functionality for the following gamepad buttons:
X(Square) is now mapped to the Z key.
Y (Triangle) is now mapped to the X key.

LEAGUE MODE SPECIFIC CHANGES
Fixed issue where you could start a match by selecting a blanked-out square. (I.e. the space representing Wrestler A vs Wrestler A)
In a league with multiple blocks, you can now move freely between blocks instead of being forced to hold matches in order.
To switch between blocks in a league, you now use left/right on the analog stick/keyboard instead of LB(L1)/RB(R1)
Fixed issue causing match rules (time, etc) to reset during the finals.
Fixed issue where the proper wrestler would not be selected in the finals.

[EDIT MODE]
Fixed CPU logic category name:
Run Up Turnbuckle (MED) > Run Up Turnbuckle

[MATCHES]
Fixed CPU logic for] Opp. Dazed Near Corner > Rope Slingshot from Apron to Inside of Ring
Fixed issue where a wrestler would be unable to move if they ran out of breath near the stage entrance.
Revised CPU logic so wrestlers no longer attempt to breathe while on the entrance ramp.
Reversal (somersault) now working as intended for side corner Irish Whips. (Only applies to applicable Fight Styles)
Added new walk animation when far away from opponent.
Fixed issue preventing wrestler from exiting to apron when close to the corner post.
Fixed issue preventing Stamina and Spirit from carrying over in Best of 3 match. (These stats now carry over and each recover slightly between matches.)
Keyboard controls: Changed Pause button from Tab key to Space key.
Keyboard controls: With the game paused, press S key for Clean Pause and Frame-by-Frame mode.

[NEW MOVE]
Opponent Down - Face Up, Near Head: Sliding Elbow Butt

I agree with the first two user comments (and the only two so far):

- Please Spike-Chunsoft, address the lag on the wrestler edit screens. This makes moving edits incredibly tedious. A UI update would be tremendous! Still, very impressed with the regular updates - my only concern is that they're slowly becoming minor bug fixes.

- Nice but can we get that UI update PLEASE? I love this game, but scrolling through 400+ edits at 1-5 FPS is abysmal!! Rest of the game runs at 60 FPS
I was really hoping for that this week. :\

Still, the fact that we get weekly patches is pretty incredible, so I probably shouldn't complain too much.

He removed the stupid Goldberg restriction. Thank you for speaking up, Retro Edge!

Awesome! It was a shame cause this Tozawa really looks spot on and I even tried to subscribe to his Goldberg, but to get the Goldberg you need to subscribe to another CAW, ridiculous.
Glad that he changed it.

Awesome! It was a shame cause this Tozawa really looks spot on and I even tried to subscribe to his Goldberg, but to get the Goldberg you need to subscribe to another CAW, ridiculous.
Glad that he changed it.
His response to you was weird, saying you didn't "have" to download other wrestlers, so either he was intentionally playing dumb or he enabled a setting without realizing it. Either way, I'm glad he turned it off. I have no idea why it's even a thing anyway. What purpose could it possibly serve?

Slizz

Terry Funk spinning toe hold to end a 94%(sham, 6*) 25 minute cement match was awesome.

The input lag in online matches is at the very least, consistent across the board I find. No longer have to adjust game to game it seems.

I really want tables now and lemme place objects on cpu... Shouldn't be as hard as changing layers and then upping damage to attack that lands on object. Obviously make it time consuming though... To where you almost need to use your finisher so they stay down long enough to place an object.....

Wow! I have to see if World's current League mode is able to do all that. Did you have to manually create all those wrestlers for Returns or were you able to do some download tricks somehow? I've always known of Fire Pros edit scene but never looked into how to get the edits myself.

Reading all the tidbits of results that everyone posts is so interesting. I intend to share a lot more. I'll be on the lookout for more from you, if you feel like sharing more too.

I was steadily scanning FPWarena.com for CAW's and have a very solid roster compiling what I thought looked to be the best edits available from a variety of sources.

It's pretty easy to copy saves from a computer to the PS3.

Didn't realize my World War 3 league would end with a single elimination tournament.

There was a 4 way tie for first in the WWE Group with Brock Lesnar, Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman and Rusev. Itami, Rollins and Nakamura were tied for 2nd (or 5th technically). The game formed a 4 person round-robin league to break the tie and Brock won, with Roman not gaining a point.

The NJPW group was won by Michael Elgin with Tanahashi in 2nd and Okada, Ishii and Bushi tied for 3rd.

Pentagon Dark (my character) easily won the Lucha Underground League with Prince Puma in 2nd and Mil Muertes and Crane tied for 3rd.

Finally Batista won my Ex/Disgruntled WWE league with CM Punk and Bull Dempsey tied for 2nd.

It was my player, Pentagon Dark vs. Brock Lesnar in the finals of the elimination tournament. Where I'd won every match easily I thought I'd let Brock get in a little offense to start the match and make things dramatic. I rallied a bit but couldn't gain the upper hand and lost to Brock in the finals.

tchocky

A bit off topic, but Is Fire Pro Arena down for anyone else? I keep getting an SQL error.

From Reddit:

There was some loading errors and one of the moderators was trying to clean up some stuff. Crashed the server. Trying to restore to 4 hours before the crash. No ETA on when it'll be back up.

Ryce

Reddit user Hammedatha pulled all of the move data from the SkillParam file, which you can find here. The remaining DLC moves appear to be present.
  • Medium Strike - European Uppercut
  • Strong Strike - Overhead Kick
  • Running - European Uppercut Attack
  • Running - Punching Lariat
  • Running - Modified Jumping Knee Kick
  • Running - Wheelbarrow Bulldog
  • Rebound - Tiltawhirl Torturerack
  • Rebound - Flapjack
  • Rebound - Pop-up Jumping Bomb
  • Diving - Reverse Firebird Splash
  • Diving - Diving Upper Elbow Smash
  • Diving - Diving Cutter
  • Front Grapple (Weak) - Push Over
  • Front Grapple (Medium) - Cross Arm Neckbreaker
  • Front Grapple (Medium) - European Uppercut Rush
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Knuckle Arrow Rush
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Screw Neckbreaker Drop
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Spinning Flapjack
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Phoenixplex Hold
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Backflip Driver
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Triple Brainbuster
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Reverse Full Nelson Buster
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Foothold Neckbreaker Drop
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Spinning Backflip Driver
  • Front Grapple (Strong) - Final Power Bomb
  • Back Grapple (Weak) - Pull Down
  • Back Grapple (Strong) - Schoolboy Suplex
  • Face Up at Upper Body - Head Blow
  • Face Up at Upper Body - Shuffle Hand Fist Drop
  • Face Up at Lower Body - Leg & Neck Stretch
  • Face Down at Upper Body - Face Blow
  • Corner - Corner Brainbuster
  • Corner - O'Connor Roll German Suplex
  • Apron - Apron Power Bomb
  • Top Rope Counter - Top Rope Canadian Destroyer
  • ??? - Back Cutter
  • ??? - Flying Cyclone Whip
  • ??? - Bridge Crush Neckbreaker

hamsjams

I was steadily scanning FPWarena.com for CAW's and have a very solid roster compiling what I thought looked to be the best edits available from a variety of sources.

It's pretty easy to copy saves from a computer to the PS3.

It was my player, Pentagon Dark vs. Brock Lesnar in the finals of the elimination tournament. Where I'd won every match easily I thought I'd let Brock get in a little offense to start the match and make things dramatic. I rallied a bit but couldn't gain the upper hand and lost to Brock in the finals.

Ah, the last time I played Fire Pro was on a PS2 back in the day. Transferring edits seemed a lot more complicated back then, or at least was beyond my comprehension at the time.

Roman getting no points in the tie breaker bracket seems poetic somehow. I see your Batista edit is mirroring reality and continuing to win among the disgruntled former WWE employees, haha.

Are you planning on running anything else? Maybe Elgin vs. Okada for a championship? Itami vs. Nakamura as a matter of bragging rights? Pentagon Dark and Brock rematch?

Your Brock Lesnar going into business for himself and taking the win from you is very much like what happened to me in the finals of an NWA TV Title tourney I ran. I was Dr. Death against Arn Anderson, tried working the match for the highest possible rating, and Arn stole the win right out from under me. The game didn't award Arn the title so I made up some head canon that the NWA disqualified his win due to some heel shenanigan. I just threw together a title match between Arn and Dr. Death and made sure Anderson won. Not going to chance messing around with Steve Williams!

I feel like it's probably pretty common for players to accidentally lose while chasing the match rating.

EDIT: New results to add

The Hart Foundation won the NWA Tag Team Championship by defeating The Steiner Brothers in the finals of a tournament for the title. The tournament also included the Rock & Roll Express, The Road Warriors, The Andersons, The Midnight Express, and others. The Steiner Brothers earned their way into the finals by defeating Demolition when Scott Steiner broke Smash's neck with a Critical Steiner Screwdriver. Smash will be laid up for quite some time and may never return but if he does you can bet that The Steiner Brothers versus Demolition will be a blood feud. The Hart Foundation are my current NWA Tag Team Champions.

Top Bottom