• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Baldur's Gate 3 PS5 Impressions - "No Stable 60FPS - Performance vs Quality Mode"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yet no game really pushes these consoles and we dont need Pro consoles

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

twilo99

pro or whatever it would need to be built around current CPU architecture for this game to run properly..

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This does not necessitate a fucking pro console because base isn’t getting decent performance at a locked 30fps.

Dogshit port.
Lol.....come on man, you think Larian (of all company's) would knock out a 'dogshit port'?

Demanding game is hella demanding, PS5 doing the best it can, not sure why people expect any different on a console with a hearty PC game. For the record, I own all the consoles and am not biased in any way against them, but you can only achieve so much with ageing hardware vs top of the line PCs.

Pro models are 100% welcome by me, bring em on.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yet no game really pushes these consoles and we dont need Pro consoles
Loading times measured in minutes are actually indicative of underutilizing the hardware - not pushing anything. Goes for this and Starfield alike - as well as many high-profile PC releases over the past 2 years.
Granted - that's just one dimension - but suffice to say at least part of their tech stacks are clearly built for and around last-gen hardware.

Last edited:

Stuart360

To be fair even high end PC's can struggle in Balders Gate city in Act 3. They are probably runnung way higher settings of course but still.

I'm sure most people realized that games would be considerably more demanding once we strated getting none cross gen games but i have been quite surprised the kind of limitations need on the consoles in terms of settings, resolution etc, to just get servicable performance.
These consoles are not weak, and were actually quite good by console standards at launch.

Yes optimizations has been shit the last 4 or 5 years, and the release of upscaler tech has made that even worse, but still i was expecting someof these games to be running and looking like this at the end of the gen, nat barely the middle of the gen.

To be fair even high end PC's can struggle in Balders Gate city in Act 3

Also to be fair, and I just timed it, loading times on PC are also pretty big. Quick loading or loading a fresh start or teleporting to a new area which is the same as quick loading, on a standard SATA SSD, it takes 25'ish seconds. on m2, maybe 5 seconds less. And it's the kind of game you'll be loading a lot. It's very annoying on PC and I reckon double the load times on PS5 will be even more annoying.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Divinity 2 destroyed cpu's and gpu's also. Just wait on the difinitive edition like with divinity 2 where stull will probably be more optimized in.

Larian is known for janky performance, endless bugs and endless patches, but amazing games.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
TL;DR

- Quality mode: 1440p, targets 30 FPS
- Performance mode: Also looks 1440p but targets 60 FPS

- Quality mode: 30 FPS, can drop below target.
- Performance mode: Lots of drops, can drop below 30 as well. Has lots of screen tearing.
- VRR fixes tearing as long as the game is in VRR range
- Visual quality between Quality and Performance looks same.

- Load times: Fast travel took 43~ seconds.
iWrhDtP.jpg

Unknown?

Lol.....come on man, you think Larian (of all company's) would knock out a 'dogshit port'?

Demanding game is hella demanding, PS5 doing the best it can, not sure why people expect any different on a console with a hearty PC game. For the record, I own all the consoles and am not biased in any way against them, but you can only achieve so much with ageing hardware vs top of the line PCs.

Pro models are 100% welcome by me, bring em on.
Lol a bunch of people saying it's because it's a PC game with no real knowledge. If that's really true then 90% of everyone's PCs would play this like trash.

Series S is going to be 480p.

Last edited:

Fabieter

That is what happens when you dont use an old engine for a long time.
Bethesda is like old man at this stage.

I don't talk the tech. Their rpgs elements were alot better with tes 3 but they went backwards ever since while larian went for player choice big time.

Markio128

Would ypu say its under 60 and even drops under 30? What mode are you playing in?
I haven’t noticed any discernible drops in either mode. I played the first couple of hours in performance mode and it ran well. For the last few hours I’ve been playing in quality mode and the fps have been solid as far as I can tell and there is definitely a decent jump in visual clarity, so I’m sticking with quality mode.

Let me put it this way, I haven’t once given a second thought to the performance whilst playing either mode.

What are your PC specs? I would say my load times are substantially less overall.

Initial save load is under 30 sec. Fast travel on same map is under 5 and different region is under 30. I will time this today just to double check.

This is on 7800x3d CPU though and on NVME gen 4 SSD, but I don't think the latter matters all that much (vs even SATA SSD) since they don't use DirectStorage tech.

Wow. Past time for me to upgrade.

I'm running Ryzen 7 1700, 32GB, GTX 1070, NVME 3rd gen.

Gamerguy84

PC devs don't give a shit about optimization. I mean, there's no reason to look at Elden Ring. That's what a 4080/90 is for.

twilo99

PC devs don't give a shit about optimization. I mean, there's no reason to look at Elden Ring. That's what a 4080/90 is for.

There should be more PC centric games that don't compromise development because of the plastic boxes. Both ER and BG3 are great games..

avin

BG3 gets extra points for me for clearly having been designed for PC, with consoles as an afterthought.

avin

ByWatterson

I'm ahead of the curve. Been playing at 30 again since Hogwarts Legacy for games with serious 60fps tradeoffs.

I'm iiiiin (after Sea or Stars, LOL).

Bojji

Lots of hyperbole the CPU in the PS5 isn't a decade old.

But this game is super CPU heavy and even the best available CPUs right now aren't much above 60fps. CPU that is around the same performance ad PS5 runs this game around 30fps too in act 3. You can blame developers of course, they have chosen to make this game that way. But in act 3 you actually see where this power goes, there is a lot of heavy CPU stuff on the display.

Games that are pushing boundaries will be 30 fps on this consoles, this is reality.

Last edited:

Tedditalk

You mean the company that released an unfinished product, advertising content for the ps5 version of the game (The upper city) that not even in the full game? Larian is a studio like any other. They are not special.

Top Bottom