• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Baldur's Gate 3 PS5 Impressions - "No Stable 60FPS - Performance vs Quality Mode"

StereoVsn

There should be more PC centric games that don't compromise development because of the plastic boxes. Both ER and BG3 are great games..
Elden Ring is still a mess on PC, even with high end hardware. BG3 has a lot of issues in Act 3 with performance.

Mind you, both are amazing games, but damn, on PC side ER especially is frustrating to run. Not that these are alone, Hogwarts, Dead Space, Jedi Survivor, etc all run like crap comparatively speaking with high end hardware.

yamaci17

Elden Ring is still a mess on PC, even with high end hardware. BG3 has a lot of issues in Act 3 with performance.

Mind you, both are amazing games, but damn, on PC side ER especially is frustrating to run. Not that these are alone, Hogwarts, Dead Space, Jedi Survivor, etc all run like crap comparatively speaking with high end hardware.
There has to be a disconnect bwteen cpu developments / cpu manufacturers and devs

IPC single thread barely advances
and these games want all the IPC single thread in the world

amd intel keeps pushing more and more cores instead. I mean, Intel literally put special slow cores so your email and background tasks can run on them so main cores can focus the game

it becomes a gigantic meme when the said games do not even utilizing 6 physical cores to begin with

NVIDIA solved this problem with dx11. their driver was able to slice single threaded load into multithreaded loads and made games more performant thanks to their drivers. now we have dx12, that slicing job is on devs. and they claim it is sometimes impossible to do. yet somehow NVIDIA did it ON A DRIVER LEVEL.

Vroadstar

Why do you think? Starfield doesn’t have the impact these warriors were hoping for…have to turn back to tearing down PS5 games.

That much is obvious considering who started the thread. I actually thought it was from DF because he's known to do that, turned out, it's from some unknown guy who's suddenly the most credible on his analysis. Talk about jumping the gun because of copium.

I've read lots of 'runs fine trust me bro' and it's literally never been right. When the Jedi Survivor reviews were coming out loads of them commented that it ran great on console and turns out it runs terribly with tons of frame drops down to like 17fps in places, same with FF16, Remnant 2 and Immortals which all drop into the 30s from 60fps.

Some people just can't see bad performance but it's obvious without frame rate counter that BG3 is very low res and has very choppy performance on PS5. I hope anyone doubting this analysis because he's not DF is happy to eat some humble pie in a few days.

The CPU was always going to struggle but I thought at least Act 1 would be fine as I can't get the settings high enough to get it below 140fps on my PC but it drops to the 40s on PS5.

Bojji

That much is obvious considering who started the thread. I actually thought it was from DF because he's known to do that, turned out, it's from some unknown guy who's suddenly the most credible on his analysis. Talk about jumping the gun because of copium.

This guy is not bad. He makes great HDR tests of new games, other tech YouTubers don't give a fuck and now we know how many games have broken HDR support.

He has franerate analysys tools. You can say that he is not an expert about resolution of games and that would be correct.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Larian knows their bread and butter is on PC. The console versions are gonna be treated like afterthoughts sadly.

Does this support m+kb on ps5?

shamoomoo

Wait, is the Pro not going to have a more modern 7000 series level (or higher) APU? If so, WTF...
Does the Pro really need mobile ryzen 7000 series CPU? If the zen 2 base CPU is close to a 3600 ,why couldn't an enhanced mobile zen be closer the latest entries? Zen 2 on desktop already has 16MBs of L3$,why couldn't it be back ported to mobile Renoir for the pro with enhanced clock speeds? The pro is a stopgap and not meant to be a new generation.

amigastar

Larian knows their bread and butter is on PC. The console versions are gonna be treated like afterthoughts sadly.

Does this support m+kb on ps5?
Doesn't seem like it. Only controller for now.
Edit: Actually it might work BUT probably not.

Last edited:

Lex Tenebris

Neo Member
As I said before, when there was a crusade against xss, all this is Larian's fault. They never were a powerhouse studio for graphics and this demonstrates that still they are not. I don't have doubts that make split screen viable on xss was easy, and still think that it would be doable with a better coding or better engine, but performance on ps5 aren't excusable, when there are games much more complex than this that run way better.

RedC

I guess they should've put a Baulder's gate on the frame rate. #BARZ

Joke Drummer GIF by Travis

Again, we find ourselves in the same rickety old boat.

This is why I haven't bought a game Day 1 for consoles in this generation for ages. There's literally no point to it.

You never get an optimized, smooth or sometimes even *finished* product.

I got burned bad with Battlefield 2042 and haven't gotten but one game since then on launch and that was God of War Ragnarok.

I'm not knocking the overall game BG3 itself. I am very much looking forward to playing it, but people need to start waiting. Keep dropping on Day 1 for this stuff, it'll keep happening.

Early Access is a glorified beta test these days it seems.

Hell, I haven't even gotten Jedi Survivor yet and I think they're STILL fixing that game.

StereoVsn

No, and it hasn't been for well over a year.

It does but with a high-end CPU, you're fine. The worst I've seen on my 13900K are drops to the low 70s.
Yes, ER still has stuttering issues on PC.

And yes, if you have a better CPU, BG3 Act 3 is now mostly ok. I have 7800x3d and I don't have those issues. Unfortunately, consoles don't have high end CPUs.

JCK75

My experience so far with the PS5 version has been a lot of crazy pop. In every time you enter a room and certain characters, voice dialogue just is not there

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yet no game really pushes these consoles and we dont need Pro consoles

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE
But given how tech is on PC and consoles, hardly any game studios ever push the limits. They just release shit and assume over time hardware gets better so the game will look and play better simply due to brute force spec improvements.

yamaci17

But given how tech is on PC and consoles, hardly any game studios ever push the limits. They just release shit and assume over time hardware gets better so the game will look and play better simply due to brute force spec improvements.
no ps4 was pretty much pushed

ac unity was a huge step up over ac black flag for example

gorgeous visuals, leaps and bounds better lighting than 4
amazing animation system
tons of npcs (i know it brought the ps4 to 25 fps or so. but they later remedied it. it was okay. especially considering IT WAS A 1.6 GHZ JAGUAR TABLET CPU... not a 3.6 GHz Zen 2 chip)
dense city with dense geometry

all of it from ps3 to ps4. and within 1 year into nextgen (2014).

all these games are having a trouble on CPU. it is clear that developers are "taking revenge" or "venting" on microsoft and sony by making these Zen 2 CPUs look like shit. after all, they spent enormous resources to make nextgen leaps + playable stable framerates... ON 1.6 GHZ JAGUAR TABLET CPU.

now they make it seem like zen 2 3.6 ghz that has 16 threads is some whacky lowend crappy CPU that can barely go anywhere.

it is clearly malice, bad intention. and sadly microsoft and sony brought this upon themselves. most of the devs are probably super salty being forced to do a lot of work for 1.6 ghz tablet cpu. now they're taking back the EXTRA effort they did by not GIVING EVEN THE NECESSARY EFFORT for currentgen titles

it is going to be a tough generation. it almost feels like developers are taking "a vacation" by just letting zen 2 3.6 ghz brute force 30 fps with sloppy code. it was the exact opposite lastgen.

this will, naturally, cause disaster on PC as well. DLSS3/FSR3 will be a must going forward. I guess this is why nvidia had to invest in DLSS3.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have a colleague who owns the early access and says it runs great and prefers performance mode. And the load times get better when you get going. Those are his words. Either way I mentioned this thread and he noted it wasn't near as bad as was stated. Said it was pretty stable.

MarkMe2525

We gamers have a problem that needs fixing. A good game is a good game. Why would fluctuations in the frame rate matter for a turn based game. Why is 45 second loading every 10-20 minutes a deal breaker for some people. Sure fast loading and high frame rates are preferable, but is it that important?

I don't have any skin in the game, as I probably won't be playing this, but some of these reactions leave me befuddled.

skit_data

My experience so far with the PS5 version has been a lot of crazy pop. In every time you enter a room and certain characters, voice dialogue just is not there
Have you installed the game fully and then restarted it?
I had lots of issues before restarting it after everything insalled.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We gamers have a problem that needs fixing. A good game is a good game. Why would fluctuations in the frame rate matter for a turn based game. Why is 45 second loading every 10-20 minutes a deal breaker for some people. Sure fast loading and high frame rates are preferable, but is it that important?

I don't have any skin in the game, as I probably won't be playing this, but some of these reactions leave me befuddled.
Probably because like anything in life, people want improvements. And techie stuff is something which improvements should happen a lot more and faster than lets say how good a plumber is fixing a pipe or how good can a toaster really get.

There's also comparisons to other games. If other games can have smooth frames and SSD loading times of 5 second or less, why would BG3 on PS5 be 40 seconds? This is the kind of load times from past generations reading data off a disc or 5400 rpm drive.

What other people bring up is likely correct. Its a PC first game and the console got sloppy second ports. Which is no different than the times PC (with much better max specs than an X or PS5) got second rate ports too.

Last edited:

yamaci17

The expanded VRR window on Xbox just sold me on that version, I’ll wait till it comes out. This is regularly dipping far below 48fps

it is rather hilarious sony refuses to support freesync and by extension LFC (the tech that gives all high refresh screens infinite range from 0 to 120 thanks to frame doubling / tripling)

MarkMe2525

Probably because like anything in life, people want improvements. And techie stuff is something which improvements should happen a lot more and faster than lets say how good a plumber is fixing a pipe or how good can a toaster really get.

There's also comparisons to other games. If other games can have smooth frames and SSD loading times of 5 second or less, why would BG3 on PS5 be 40 seconds? This is the kind of load times from past generations reading data off a disc or 5400 rpm drive.
Yeah, but they are doing different things. Obviously, their engine is very reliant on cpu, which we know isn't the consoles strong point. My main point though is that these loading screens aren't constantly popping up in people's faces. They seem to be infrequent enough were it should not be a big deal. Of course, people absolutely have the right to feel different, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited:
But this game is super CPU heavy and even the best available CPUs right now aren't much above 60fps. CPU that is around the same performance ad PS5 runs this game around 30fps too in act 3. You can blame developers of course, they have chosen to make this game that way. But in act 3 you actually see where this power goes, there is a lot of heavy CPU stuff on the display.

Games that are pushing boundaries will be 30 fps on this consoles, this is reality.
Check Steam hardware survey and tell me how many people have the latest CPU.
Hell most PC gamers are still on 1080p.

So cool it with the master race talk is all I'm saying.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Watched the OP's video. Didn't seem that bad to me. I was worried the game would be unplayable, but it seemed okay to me. I do have two concerns though

- The loading times. If it's only when you're entering a large new area, that's not too bad. But if it's every time it needs to load, that's kinda rough.
- I've been seeing reports of a bug with dialogue, where you're not given options. This REALLY concerns me.

StereoVsn

Had crazy stuttering issues at launch to the point I had to wait a week to play it again. Now, I don't get stutters whatsoever.
Don't know what to say, I am still getting them and I upgraded to 7800x3d with 3080ti as GPU. Still get stutters.

DrFigs

Watched the OP's video. Didn't seem that bad to me. I was worried the game would be unplayable, but it seemed okay to me. I do have two concerns though

- The loading times. If it's only when you're entering a large new area, that's not too bad. But if it's every time it needs to load, that's kinda rough.
- I've been seeing reports of a bug with dialogue, where you're not given options. This REALLY concerns me.
the only really bad loading is if you're loading a save. otherwise it's fine. I haven't run into any issues with missing dialogue options. I'm like 6 hours in

I'm having a fine time w/ the ps5 version. the only bug i had was audio not playing, which was solved by turning off the ps5's 3d audio. I think the game is fairly polished on ps5. There's occasionally some pop in and framerate drops in certain areas, but it's fine imo. it doesn't interfere with the core gameplay at all really.

Last edited:

simpatico

Why even do Pro consoles at this point. Both Sony and MS can just run it back fresh in 2024 and forget this "gen" ever existed.

Eotheod

I don't talk the tech. Their rpgs elements were alot better with tes 3 but they went backwards ever since while larian went for player choice big time.
Larian's RPG elements are not anything unique, they just combine the freedom thinking of DnD with the "yes, and..." approach of user responsiveness. Don't get me wrong, Larian are an incredibly talented team of developers, but the uniqueness is not in the mechanics but in the combination of everything.

Fabieter

Larian's RPG elements are not anything unique, they just combine the freedom thinking of DnD with the "yes, and..." approach of user responsiveness. Don't get me wrong, Larian are an incredibly talented team of developers, but the uniqueness is not in the mechanics but in the combination of everything.

Well their class system with their dad decision making give soo much choice and in the end that's what makes a rpg a rpg. Do you have examples for better rpg games?

What happens if you play the split screen co op? Like 15 fps?

It basically looks worse and still has solid 30 fps. At least in act 1.

Eotheod

Well their class system with their dad decision making give soo much choice and in the end that's what makes a rpg a rpg. Do you have examples for better rpg games?

It basically looks worse and still has solid 30 fps. At least in act 1.
I didn't say it wasn't a better RPG to others, I said it was not as unique. Again, this is a fantastic game that provides an incredible depth to character customisation and choose-your-own adventure style play; however, it is in essence a combination of many gameplay mechanics that utilise the "yes, and" style of open thinking.

There have been past RPGs done just as well, many of them TRPGs because they have the benefit of the source material being open-ended designed. What Baldur's Gate 3 does exceptionally well is update that playstyle and gameplay loop to be more modern and more user interpretative.

Top Bottom