• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images of Ironfall; graphics meet RE:R on 3DS

OryoN

In a way, I'm not really surprised at what they've been able to achieve on the 3DS. I always thought the device had incredible real-world performance for hardware reputed to be so 'weak', especially compared to Vita, and mobile devices. It's easy to take for granted just how much work this little device must do just to output stereoscopic 3D, and still run games at acceptable framerates. It's no beast of a machine, but elegant and impressive in its own right.

That said, I'm much more surprised at the level of effort this 3-man team is putting into the game. That's inspiring!

Celine

Because (the same is true for Shin'en) technical prowess on "limited powered" handhelds is what set apart VD-dev games from the competitors.
You are basically asking them to giving up their advantage and for what?
A specific market (3DS and past handhelds) that showed many time there is little demand from publishers for such "high end" graphics hence why we are here to glorify Shin'en and VD-dev (and deservely so for what they did in the past :)).

Also I have the feeling many think that if a game just look incredibly good on a specific platform then the developer can easily license their "engine" to other developers by just splashing the code when in reality to be in the business you have to provide a wide array of usable tools (from what I gather Shin'en has good tools...), a versatile engine, an active custom service and sale reps.
I don't think small developers (2-5 guys per team as they are now) have the resources to go through that.

But I'm just a random gaffer, go ask them on their twitter what they think on the matter.
Shin'en , I believe, already responded in the past...

Galdelico

Does it? Looks a little jaggy for an offscreen shot.

If we are both looking at the same part of that picture, I guess it could be something like

SBT-1031-2.jpg

rather than jaggies. :p

wsippel

Banned
Shin'en once said that licensing their tech wouldn't make sense. It's not enough to just put it out there, they'd also need to document it and support it, which requires additional manpower. But they want to develop games first and foremost, and they want to stay small and agile, so they're not interested in hiring additional staff to handle support, documentation, marketing, licensing and all that stuff. And considering VD-Dev is even smaller and never tried to expand in two decades, I imagine they share Shin'en's mindset.

This really sounds like Sadness stuff to me, but hope that they can manage it and show some effort :)
Unlike Nibris, VD-Dev actually exists (since 1992!) and has a proven track record, especially when it comes to technology.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I love seeing indies who just do it for the love of doing it. Reminds me of times long passed.

Yanikun

Banned
3D seems to be activated in the shot. They said AA is for 2D.

They didn't specify it was only in 2D mode, it's just I only asked them about AA in 2D mode so they answered that specific question. Regardless, I guess they would have mentioned it if they used it in 3D mode as well, but I just wanted to clear things up.

Also, I'm not seeing aliasing in the shot. Those in the background that look like jaggies are striped textures, as Galdelico pointed out.

L~A

Have you SEEN IronFall?

i-see-what-you-did-there-spiderman-jsTQbp.jpg

And personally, I'm more curious about the game itself, rather than how it looks. So far, it looks like a generic GoW clone, and I can't say I'm a fan of GoW, so... It certainly looks impressive for the 3DS, that's for sure.

OryoN

I'm really anxious to see this 3DS game, in addition to Fast Racing Neo for Wii U. There's something expecially exciting about seeing devs exploit 'weaker' hardware. Hmm...both games do seem suspiciously late with their expected/promised reveals.

OryoN

What's up with that Ironfall video that was to be available this week? Both Vd-Dev and Shin'en hyped me (and many others) this entire week for absolutely nothing. Not even a proper screenshot for consolation, damn... ice cold!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What's up with that Ironfall video that was to be available this week? Both Vd-Dev and Shin'en hyped me (and many others) this entire week for absolutely nothing. Not even a proper screenshot for consolation, damn... ice cold!

They said the video would have been released in the week-end. Week-end just started :D

OryoN

They said the video would have been released in the week-end. Week-end just started :D

Heh, you got a point there :eek:
Although, I feel like this string of disappointment will just continue. Vd-Dev's statement did seem more certain than Shinen's, so there's a chance still. Guess we'll find out in the next few hours. My angry-mode will be charging in the meantime.

Top Bottom