• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Splatoon review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoRu

Predicting a 83 MC. The game will receive mostly 8's and 9's from major outlets, and will be brought down slightly by the stray 6 and 7's.

photo.jpg

Just seeing that made me close the video lol

"I regret to inform you that a lot of my footage got corrupted so my apologies for the diminished quality and kind of repetitive nature of this video"

ehhhh
Same. These cookie cutter YouTube reviewers are just not for me with their silly cartoon avatars and trying to sound like every other reviewer.

If long-range weapons would be easy to use, nobody would chose the short-range weapons. No matter how good they would be, if you can't reach anybody, then they are useless.

There's a ton of cover in the maps I've played so I don't see this happening. That said, the charger that was in the tests was pretty underwhelming; hopefully the other variations are a bit more effective.

Geg

So is there going to be a proper review thread once the embargo lifts or is this it?

Also got some crazy 30fps going on in the hub for some reason. It's just Miiverse and not a lot else, so dunno why it's only 30 there.
Yeah I remember someone who had a review copy mentioning a while back that the framerate tends to suffer in the hub area

Ansatz

I don't expect exceptional scores, given the reception Mario Kart 8 got. Everyone agreed the core experience was flawless but that it lacked content, had no voice chat, lacking SP mode and that stuff that's irrelevant to me. Having played the demo, I'm expecting to add another Wii U gem to the collection on friday.

Also got some crazy 30fps going on in the hub for some reason. It's just Miiverse and not a lot else, so dunno why it's only 30 there.

30fps, i wish!
my disc copy seems like no where near 30fps in the hub, more like a solid 20.
everywhere else it's rock solid 60fps though, not counting 1vs1.

Speaking of framerates, what's the framerate in local multiplayer? (The mode where one player uses the GamePad screen and the other is on the TV)

I remember drops and removal of dynamic shadows on CoD: Black Ops 2 at launch, wonder how Splatoon fares?

Edit:

I think it drops to 30fps for 1v1

Ah, thought so.

Blue Blood

Neo Member
30fps, i wish!
my disc copy seems like no where near 30fps in the hub, more like a solid 20.
everywhere else it's rock solid 60fps though, not counting 1vs1.
Disc copy as well for me. 20, 30, whatever it's bloody noticeable and hard to figure out why it's that bad there. Any of the regular gameplay is smooth as butter.

Exile20

Sometimes when it gets hectic the game can crawl to 30fps... but it's okay

Really??? in online?

Didn't notice it in the stress test

Disc copy as well for me. 20, 30, whatever it's bloody noticeable and hard to figure out why it's that bad there. Any of the regular gameplay is smooth as butter.

Ye i heard the hub takes a hit. Good that you can chose when to go directly with the gamepad.

iKhayal18

What does that even mean? Is there a kind of Spanish pun I am missing here? ^^

I think it means that it is more of an appetizer that a main course. Normally, when we say "octopus" (pulpo) in Spanish we think of a dish made of boiled octopus with its sauce and everything.

Only glaring thing I see is in that Guardian blurb they call it a multiplayer game, which is the problem the game has been facing with price point. Many folks think that the game is just 4 v 4 online multiplayer game and that makes $60 tough to swallow. I realize Nintendo has tried to build awareness around Single Player, but for whatever reason it is just not sticking. The single player is not getting the typical Nintendo reverence that other Nintendo franchises get, and I think that is hurting the perceived value.

phanphare

Banned
Only glaring thing I see is in that Guardian blurb they call it a multiplayer game, which is the problem the game has been facing with price point. Many folks think that the game is just 4 v 4 online multiplayer game and that makes $60 tough to swallow. I realize Nintendo has tried to build awareness around Single Player, but for whatever reason it is just not sticking. The single player is not getting the typical Nintendo reverence that other Nintendo franchises get, and I think that is hurting the perceived value.

well Nintendo did just add a single player commercial on their youtube channel

maybe this will air on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmUJ-GQrBg

Grakl

It has always seemed like a $40 game to me, even with the singleplayer (seemingly) tacked on. It's primarily a multiplayer game.

Exile20

Isn't COD/BF the same thing?

well Nintendo did just add a single player commercial on their youtube channel

maybe this will air on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmUJ-GQrBg

Perhaps. The single player video they released last year only has 500k views on YouTube. The issue I take with that TV spot is that it is not glaringly obvious it is single player. It needed a short story sequence or a shot of a hub world or something to make it not just seem like MP but with AI.

Isn't COD/BF the same thing?

You should go look at the ad campaigns for those games. COD AW had Kevin Spacey for crying out loud. much if their TV spots have single player footage.

phanphare

Banned
Perhaps. The single player video they released last year only has 500k views on YouTube. The issue I take with that TV spot is that it is not glaringly obvious it is single player. It needed a short story sequence or a shot of a hub world or something to make it not just seem like MP but with AI.

that video looks nothing like MP with AI, not sure how you're getting that haha

Rodin

The lack of content is really gonna hurt this.

Lack of content is temporary though, so reviewers should at least point out that Nintendo is planning a lot of free dlc and events.

Doesn't look like that to me honestly. SP looks like a platform/tps with nice level (and monster) design, at least from the few footage we've seen of it.

correojon

There's a ton of cover in the maps I've played so I don't see this happening. That said, the charger that was in the tests was pretty underwhelming; hopefully the other variations are a bit more effective.
It's the most "different" weapon and the most difficult to use correctly, but I wouldn't call it underwhelming. Most of all when the game isn't out yet, a few weeks ago the roller was overpowered and now everyone thinks otherwise with just 4 gaming sessions. I'm sure the opinions we have on the weapons will change a lot until a meta is stablished.

I can tell the difference. I just wonder if Joe Schmoe will. Just playing devils advocate. Do think a hub area and or a story sequence with VO would have really driven it home and showed a bit more production values.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but geez, I'm watching him show footage of the single-player campaign as he talks about how bland it is, and all that I can think of is, "god, that looks like so much fun."

Peléo

The unbalance among weapons give advantage to the Splat Roller and the Splattershot (and short-range weapons) against the Splat Charger (and other long-range weapons).

The metagame is too young to have a correct grasp about game balance.

cheesekao

I can tell the difference. I just wonder if Joe Schmoe will. Just playing devils advocate. Do think a hub area and or a story sequence with VO would have really driven it home and showed a bit more production values.
The single player footage they have shown simply lacks punch. If they could have thrown in a few big set piece sequences or show something unique then maybe more people would be interested in the single player but as it stands, it seems to be standard fare.

Regiruler

The single player footage they have shown simply lacks punch. If they could have thrown in a few epic set piece sequences then maybe more people would be interested in the single player but as it stand, it seems to be standard fare.
"epic set piece sequences"?

Dude this isn't KIU or fucking Bayonetta.

"epic set piece sequences"?

Dude this isn't KIU or fucking Bayonetta.

To be fair (I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, I think the single player footage looks fantastic), think about something like Mario Galaxy. That has a ton of "set pieces". They can work quite well within the context of a platformer.

Geg

Peléo;165350816 said:
The metagame is too young to have a correct grasp about game balance.

Yeah one of the guys I played with on Saturday was absolutely destroying everyone with just the standard Splattershot. I'm not really seeing the imbalance, other than that the Charger does seem to have a higher skill barrier

Einbroch

Banned
Quit shitting on him, he clearly isn't talking about helicopters flying in on fire dropping nukes while 10 machine guns shoot in every direction.

Set pieces break up the pace and offer variety.

I only buy games that score 9.8 or over too.

Get some taste pleb, 9.9 of bust.

Cindro

Get some taste pleb, 9.9 of bust.
9.98 or preorder cancelled

I'm assuming this is one of those titles that most of us know what we'll give it before playing the full game, right? If you've been keeping up with the flow of information, especially over the past several months, and had a chance to try out the testfire demo then Splatoon is already a known quantity. I don't mean that in a reductive way at all, as obviously this is one of the most creative concepts for a game many of us have seen in years - but quite a bevy of us already know precisely how glorious this game will be.

Definitely hope it reviews well though to increase word of mouth hype.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The single player commercial isn't very good. There's too much standard running and shooting regular enemies, a whole bunch of really quick shots like that which look mostly the same. They should've cut those by half, replace with more dynamic fights using squid form and show more of the unique platforming elements only in single player mode.

NotLiquid

IGN's review. No score yet.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/27/splatoon-review

Nintendo’s take on the third-person shooter is refreshingly original, with lots of impressive tools and skillful mobility. Matches are consistently fun and tense, and the mechanics feel simple enough that almost anyone can contribute positively. Splatoon really needs the extra modes and content Nintendo says is coming once a portion of the community levels up a bit, and not having voice chat is a bummer, but what is here feels polished and kept me claiming turf for hours.

Gamespot review-in-progress.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/splatoon-review-in-progress/1100-6427602/

I've been playing Splatoon, Nintendo’s new and unusual shooter, for just over a week, and my experience has ranged from delightful to frustrating. Its inventive mechanics are refreshing, making it easy to enjoy both the single player and multiplayer components.Since the game hasn't been released yet, my only time with multiplayer has been with other Nintendo employees and members of the press. Until I've been able to test multiplayer with a large number of people playing online, I unfortunately can’t pass judgment on the game at large. That said, when I have been able to get into a match, I've thoroughly enjoyed Splatoon's multiplayer offerings.

NintendoLife's Review (Score Pending)
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/splatoon

In a sea of rock-solid single-player Nintendo experiences Splatoon is a standout as being an utterly sublime multiplayer endeavour. Everything is knitted beautifully and seamlessly together to create what is quite simply some of the most fun you can have online. Having been built specifically for online play it'll face the challenge of avoiding too many hiccups, but conceptually proves that the Big N is capable of keeping up-to-date with this particular modern gaming trend. The single player elements and the local multiplayer also present a way to enjoy the game when you're not geared up for the chaos that comes from fighting others online, and provide a useful reprieve if your internet cuts out.
Splatoon is easily the freshest shooter in years and delivers superbly on all fronts; we have an inkling you'll love this.

Lack of content is temporary though, so reviewers should at least point out that Nintendo is planning a lot of free dlc and events.

They should mention that, but at the same time they can only review what they have, which doesn't look like a lot.

Me thinks Nintendo should've just delayed the game till it was actually done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom