• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

fritolay

GSx97.png

Eusis

Fast total.. right?

I mean why invent the wheel if you can just do what others did? Sony now does incremental updates, lot less MB's to download just like MS, who always did this.
It IS possible that given this is the first update it changed a lot of stuff, basically redownloading the whole OS. You'd think it'd perform better if that were the case though. Anyways, hopefully that means future updates go quicker and smoother.

... And system shutting off on its own? Yeah, definitely would want a UPS for that.

Darko

Update is taking forever.. I hope this isnt a regular thing and they make the next one incremental..

My download just finished in under an hour. Not ideal, but not unreasonable. I've been waiting 2 years already, so what's another hour?

in a generation of DLCs, updates and little digital distribution games... this why I am not getting a Wii U

"but you can attach your own external HDD!!"

you think devs will push content knowing that majority has no space?

Kyou

in a generation of DLCs, updates and little digital distribution games... this why I am not getting a Wii U

TTT2 is 17 gigs so... yes?

test_account

XP-39C²

Shouldnt matter. All they have to focus on is that they have at least 7GB (assuming that 1GB is taken for this update) to work with. Thinking mostly about DLC and update patches then. 7GB is enough for that.

Darkangel

The 360 didn't have much trouble getting digital content even though they sold SKUs that didn't include ANY onboard storage. Even now the arcade model only comes with 4GB.

Christ this thing is taking ages. Ive got a greay connection but Ive been staring at this tiny blue bar for the past ten minutes and it hasnt budged a pixel.

PaulLFC

1GB seems... a lot. Is it, or are the PS3/360 updates a lot larger than I thought they were up to now? I can't understand why on earth a system update is anywhere near 1GB in size.

Tagg9

1GB seems... a lot. Is it, or are the PS3/360 updates a lot larger than I thought they were up to now? I can't understand why on earth a system update is anywhere near 1GB in size.

Pretty sure the largest PS3 update is like 150MB.

Randdalf

A 1GB day one update is crazy.

I'm expecting there to be similar situations when Durango/Orbis launch as well, to be honest. Everything about today's industry is so rushed and last minute, a lot of big games have day one updates because they were rushed to release. I wouldn't be surprised if M$ and Sony are scrambling to get their console out first, since the 360's earlier launch gave it the edge this generation.

As long as the big updates bring new features, I'm in. They can send them over every week if they want to. Some lame security updates though, with nothing new for me... those annoy me even if it's a small download.

what does this update bring?

I'm glad they decided on a staggered release, I can't imagine how bad it would have been for eu / uk owners if it was a worldwide release. the servers would be getting hammered.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Talk about rushed geez, im just going to play without updating for a while. You figure after the wii and 3ds they would a good idea on how to get online right out of the box.

I'm expecting there to be similar situations when Durango/Orbis launch as well, to be honest. Everything about today's industry is so rushed and last minute, a lot of big games have day one updates because they were rushed to release. I wouldn't be surprised if M$ and Sony are scrambling to get their console out first, since the 360's earlier launch gave it the edge this generation.

But for Microsoft I'm going to pretty sure the main FirmWare can still be pretty lean, as the invidual components will simply be Apps that can be updated separately, and asynchronously. And I'm expecting Sony, after countless complaints, and the store now a separate App too, will be fairly similar - Vita shows this trend also.

Top Bottom