• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U update is at least 1GB / CLEAN OUT YO FRIDGE

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Talk about rushed geez, im just going to play without updating for a while. You figure after the wii and 3ds they would a good idea on how to get online right out of the box.

How is it rushed to update software on a system that was built and boxed several months ago? With a game, a copy goes gold about a month before release and is often patched at, or soon after, release. For a console, they have been stockpiling these things for a long, long time. What exactly were you expecting?

Turok_TTZ

How long would it take to dl update using a wii ethernet adapter instead of using wireless? Wud it be any faster? Sorry if this question was already asked and answered.

Kamek

Wary about downloading any update/going online just yet. I wonder how long it'll take the homebrew scene to get things up and running. My best times on Wii were with mods of games and emulating SNES/N64/NES and never having to use discs, just having everything i bought on an external hdd. IS this dumb of me?

Instro

Wary about downloading any update/going online just yet. I wonder how long it'll take the homebrew scene to get things up and running. My best times on Wii were with mods of games and emulating SNES/N64/NES and never having to use discs, just having everything i bought on an external hdd. IS this dumb of me?

Well it'll be a long time for homebrew if the 3DS is any indication.

jaypah

Damn, this update is off the chain! I ain't sweating it though, I have to wait for the fiancé to get off and then we have to go to my brother's crib for his sons birthday party for a BBQ/Saints game. Fucking amped though!

suaveric

Fuck I keep getting error 108-0144. Nintendo's site doesn't even recognize that code. I got maybe 10% of it downloaded before the trouble started. I think the servers just keep dropping my ass.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
even near 1GB is crazy for a system update.

and does this mean that all WiiU updates will be this big?

Man, I hope not.

Logically, you would think the slowness probably is caused by everyone getting WiiU's today, and everyone hitting the network to download crap left and right.

Now, if it doesn't improve, then we're gonna have to decide who the hell is slower, Nintendo or Sony's networks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So what's the deal with bricking reports? Is it just people foolishgly unplugging their system during install? Or is it really as risky as any connection interruption during the update download screwing your system? Because my internet is not reliable.

cloudyy

So what's the deal with bricking reports? Is it just people foolishgly unplugging their system during install? Or is it really as risky as any connection interruption during the update download screwing your system? Because my internet is not reliable.
From what I heard, it actually resumes your download if your connection fails.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Stupid people powering off or unplugging the Wii U during download because they think it froze.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool, cheers guys. Figured it would be insane if your system bricked simply due to losing download connection.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Jealous of everyone with their normal Internet connections. Started my update at 11:30. It's now an hour fifteen later and I'm only about 80% done. Oh well, this is a nice exercise in delayed gratification.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Jealous of everyone with their normal Internet connections. Started my update at 11:30. It's now an hour fifteen later and I'm only about 80% done. Oh well, this is a nice exercise in delayed gratification.

I've got Verizon FIOS, and it took me about an 1hr 30 minutes for download and install. >_<;

Medalion

Banned
I took about an hour to download.... I have 100Mbps cable internet

I started half of it on WI-FI, and the other half on wired internet through the LAN adaptor I bought for the Wii origiinally

All in all it was long, but I was expecting way way longer from other people's impressions

Jesus fuck, this is taking forever.

Ugh. I wouldn't have agreed to the update if I had known it would take this long.

-__-

I started half of it on WI-FI, and the other half on wired internet through the LAN adaptor I bought for the Wii origiinally

Those work with the Wii U as well?

Fuck yeah Nintendo.

Raonak

Banned
they should've just chucked a disk in the box.

the real question is how the WiiU will handle updates. will it download the whole update file like ps3(?), or just the updated part, like 360.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
they should've just chucked a disk in the box.

the real question is how the WiiU will handle updates. will it download the whole update file like ps3(?), or just the updated part, like 360.
If it had to download a GB, it would most likely be like the PS3.

Davey Cakes

I'm currently running the update. Going at the current rate, completion time should be about an hour. Can't complain, especially since it's working on a wireless BG connectin. Not really a big deal in the end. That said, I feel bad for people who had to wait longer.

Those work with the Wii U as well?

Fuck yeah Nintendo.
Yeah. For some reason I wasn't sure about this either (should have been obvious), but the Wii user manual confirmed it for me. Very nice. I'm still using wireless for the update though.

WTF? So it finished downloading the update, then it stated to apply the update and at about 92%, it says it failed and rebooted the system. Then afterward it just goes through the setup process like create your Mii and so forth. Did my system update or not?

Top Bottom