• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

Neiteio

Do you have a right to shoot at someone if you feel threatened by them in Florida?
I'm American. It's customary here to greet each other with gunfire. Like you shoot at the feet of the person in front of you, drawing a heart in the ground and spelling out their name inside. Nothing says "I love you" like mortal terror!

I love America but hate guns. Bear with us, we're a work in progress.

Head.spawn

Is there something about buying a gun that makes people think they're both Rambo and Judge Dredd all rolled up in one?

Some people are just too damned stupid to be allowed the responsibility of ownership.

Neiteio

Exactly. It's the fault of the game, but Guns? no that's the fault of the people.

Florida must be a scary place reading all these gun stories.
They also have man-eating alligators and flying cockroaches.

On the bright side, they have Disney World and Universal Studios. Nice weather, too!

I'm American. It's customary here to greet each other with gunfire. Like you shoot at the feet of the person in front of you, drawing a heart in the ground and spelling out their name inside. Nothing says "I love you" like mortal terror!

I love America but hate guns. Bear with us, we're a work in progress.

I thought every american loves guns? *confused*

Or are you just unpatriotic?

Haunted

Clearly, USA needs more good guys with guns to stop the confused guys with guns who are trying to stop the good guys without guns they think are bad guys with guns.

You guys are getting so fucked by the NRA, I'd laugh at the absurdity of it all if it wasn't such a serious, sad matter that's costing so many people their lives every damn day.

Skii

He needed that gun to protect himself from the teens. Even though they were driving away from him, he needed to feel safe. I understand him.

As a native Floridian, please don't equate the actions of Florida Man with the rest of us.

I have no problem accepting that there are crazy people in this world, but whats truly bothering me is that this guy probably won't even lose access to guns and not face any consequences whatsoever, even though he should go to jail if the US were a country with sensible laws.

wildfire

Banned

Hopefully with that attitude we continue to be top dog like the Minbari.

I imagine the Pepperidge Farms old man speaking when I read some of the comments here.

But god...sometimes It bugs me out how quickly someone could attempt to take a persons life here. The kids were in a car, with their smartphones, and drove away..you decided to shoot at them. Wtf man.

test_account

XP-39C²
If only the teenagers also had guns to protect themself... right? :p

Seriously though, crazy situation. Good that no one got physically hurt at least.

L Thammy

They also have man-eating alligators and flying cockroaches.

On the bright side, they have Disney World and Universal Studios. Nice weather, too!

When I was a kid, the whole family drove down to Florida a few times to visit Disney World. Young Thammy was terrified.

test_account

XP-39C²
When all you have is a hammer gun, every single problem looks like a nail target.
Funny coincidence, i just played Uncharted 4 online like 10 minuntes ago and i heard that line there as well (its spoken by the sniper NPC) for the first time, and now i see it here too.

Neiteio

I thought every american loves guns? *confused*

Or are you just unpatriotic?
Tons of Americans hate guns, but NRA lobbyists have so much power on Capitol Hill.

You can be on a terrorist watch list and banned from boarding planes, but you can still buy assault rifles that could shoot down an airplane.

Thanks, NRA!

Minions

Homeowner is going to end up rightfully charged. You can't go outside onto a public street and shoot at a car for being parked outside. Hell, you can't even shoot at them for standing on a sidewalk outside of your house playing pokemon go, as public sidewalks are a "public" place.

Neiteio

I look forward to whatever lurid direction this trial will take

Defense attorney: "Your honor, these teenaged ne'er-do-well hooligans were stealing."

Judge: "How so?"

Defense attorney: "Well you see, the Kabuto was technically on Mr. Psycho's property. They were playing from the sidewalk, but they were looking at a Kabuto on Mr. Psycho's lawn, and attempting to catch it."

Judge: "Aren't there an endless supply of Pokemon?"

Defense attorney: "It's the principle of the matter, your honor."

Neiteio

He should go to jail.
That'd be quite a story he'd have to tell his cellmates

*cut to image of ripped skinhead doing chin-ups*

SKINHEAD: "I busted a man's skull in and stabbed his pal with a broken wine bottle. Nearly killed 'em both. What are you in for?"

FLORIDAMAN: "I nearly shot some kids. They were taking my Jigglypuff."

DedValve

Banned
Christ. This is what happens when children and iditiots are allowed to own guns. They shoot first and let someone else do the asking afterwards.

At the very least remove his license to ever own a gun again. Dude shouldn't even be able to wield pocket knives.

MisterHero

Both sides are stupid this time.

Pokémon GO isn't controlled by time, right? Watch it happen in the G/S expansion

Jesus, what if they were lost and were checking their gps, what if someone was sick and they pulled over for a minute, what if they wanted to watch the man get changed in his window. The man shouldn't just step outside his home because there's a car on the street and start firing. That's fucked up.

The question should also be asked "Why the fuck were you playing Pokemon Go at 1:30 in the morning?!"

Because they fucking can? Because it's supposed to be a free country? Do you want to implement martial law or curfew or something?

Both sides are stupid this time.

Pokémon GO isn't controlled by time, right? Watch it happen in the G/S expansion

It is, but that's neither here nor there. Why the hell were two people having fun and not bothering anyone being stupid?

I dunno, it might be because I'm Spanish and we stay up until way later than you English guys, but still. What one does with their time is their fucking business and the street is not an off limits area no matter the time as long as you're respectful of others' sleep.

_SAKY_

As a native Floridian, please don't equate the actions of Florida Man with the rest of us.

When I tell people that I am native to the state most times the first words from their mouths is that this is uncommon, as if i'm a unicorn.

I don't how much truth there is to this idea but my wife and most friends are native to the state. If a native Floridian is uncommon then it wold seems that the state attracts a lot of idiots.

On a side note the non-natives that I talk to seem to mostly come from the notheastern area of the country.
#thingsthatmakeyougohmmmmm

Top Bottom