• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

Frodo

Both sides are stupid this time.

Pokémon GO isn't controlled by time, right? Watch it happen in the G/S expansion

You are stupid. Someone is on their car in the street playing a game. Some deranged, self righteous lunatic has a gun and decides to save the day night with their pathetic handgun, that subconsciously serves as a enhancement for their small dick/brain. Trying to share the blame here is ridiculous.

I myself played Pokemon GO at around the same time at night leaving a bar with a friend and we had great fun chasing Pokemons and even met other people playing the game around a Pokestop with Lure. I live in the UK, so needless to say I didn’t suffer the problem of having someone pointing a gun at me because of that.

You don't fool no one, Florida Man. Get out of here.

Also:

MisterHero
(Today, 01:35 PM)

L Thammy

Think about it. These kids were minding their own business in a public place. Have you ever noticed how many criminals are found in public places? I think there's more to this story.

I don't understand one thing though, how did two kids get a car? Can kids legally drive cars in America?

Yes. They're called teenagers.

Should I be proud of the fact that I don't shoot at the strange cars I see on the side of the road in the suburbs now? I always just assumed there were teens getting it on in them or something.

MisterHero

It is, but that's neither here nor there. Why the hell were two people having fun and not bothering anyone being stupid?

I dunno, it might be because I'm Spanish and we stay up until way later than you English guys, but still. What one does with their time is their fucking business and the street is not an off limits area no matter the time as long as you're respectful of others' sleep.
I'm more open to public spaces at night, but not residential areas.

It's common sense

The teens reaction to the whole thing is almost as worrying

Since the teens were not hurt and did not notice any damage and figured the man was trying to scare them, they didn't report the shooting right away.

have we become this inured to gun violence?

I just can't even imagine living in a country where someone can (try to) shoot you for no reason, at any time, at any place, whilst the majority of my fellow citizens think it's normal. How many teenagers and children have been murdered in this fashion, because some gun-toting a-hole 'heard a noise' or 'felt threatened' and just started shooting anything that moved.

DrunkDan

I'm more open to public spaces at night, but not residential areas.

It's common sense

Yup. Hanging around outside people's houses at those times can easily be unnerving to residents.

No need to come out gun toting like a lunatic though.

Common sense needed for both parties.

nbraun80

The teens reaction to the whole thing is almost as worrying

have we become this inured to gun violence?

gonna assume they mean that because they initially didn't see any bullet holes they thought he was shooting blanks at them. obviously you should still report it though.

nbraun80

Teenagers can legally drive in the United States? I thought it was 18+.
nope 16 you do a driver's education course, if you pass you get a learners permit, which requires you to drive with an adult in the car for awhile, then you can drive by yourself but not after ten, then anytime. Not sure on the timeframe for each phase though, been awhile.

Torokil

pokemongun.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

mcz117chief

In most states you can get a learners permit starting at 15 and can be fully licensed at 16

nope 16 you do a driver's education course, if you pass you get a learners permit, which requires you to drive with an adult in the car for awhile, then you can drive by yourself but not after ten, then anytime. Not sure on the timeframe for each phase though, been awhile.

TIL, thank you :)

eighteen

nineteen

teenagers

We call them adults in here, not teenagers. Teenagers are like 11-17.

What year is it? It shouldn't be okay ANYWHERE to go "Oh, these young kids probably stole something from me, so I better murder them", especially not in the US.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
On a side note the non-natives that I talk to seem to mostly come from the notheastern area of the country.
#thingsthatmakeyougohmmmmm

Florida is where many north easterners go after retiring. No more shoveling snow and cheaper cost of living.

These gun owners think that because they have a firearm, they're Dirty Harry. Take the law into their own hands. It's unreal.

Living in the USA must be fun. Do something slightly weird - get shot

There's probably a fairly sizable segment of the population for whom parking in front of a strangers house at 1:30AM, playing a mobile game, and loudly conversing about it would qualify as more than "slightly weird."
Not enough to excuse this sort of street justice BS, all things considered.

With geocaching and now Pokemon go, I've learned that people are ready to overreact at the drop of the hat.

These kids just minding their own business and playing a game? Clearly the danger to society.

ajjow

Its normal to people stay up all noght drinking or at a line to buy something next day, but its crazy to be awake playing videogames or walking on the street with friends... Okay...

I imagine people in Philly walking with their babies at 1am must be pretty crazy...

I should have figured this thread was going to be filled by people saying "LOL AMERICA AMIRTE?!" like people stopping in front of your house at 1:30am is completely normal. He took it a step too far because they were still on the road, of course, so he should be prosecuted, but the kids aren't entirely blameless either.

I don't get going out at night like that. You know how shady it looks for a car to drive up to an area, stop, and then keep going? Hell it makes me uncomfortable hitting the couple of Pokestops on the way home during the daytime.

Moosehole

Some of the people ITT saying "well they shouldnt be out on the street..."

HE TRIED TO FUCKING KILL THEM.

I'm logging off. Wtf.

Roshin

There's probably a fairly sizable segment of the population for whom parking in front of a strangers house at 1:30AM, playing a mobile game, and loudly conversing about it would qualify as more than "slightly weird."

Sitting in their car in a public place. I better shoot them.

WedgeX

Banned
I should have figured this thread was going to be filled by people saying "LOL AMERICA AMIRTE?!" like people stopping in front of your house at 1:30am is completely normal. He took it a step too far because they were still on the road, of course, so he should be prosecuted, but the kids aren't entirely blameless either.

I don't get going out at night like that. You know how shady it looks for a car to drive up to an area, stop, and then keep going? Hell it makes me uncomfortable hitting the couple of Pokestops on the way home during the daytime.

The freedom to be outside at 11:30 in some suburban area is one of the essential freedoms as laid out by FDR. Quite living in fear and stop blaming these kids for not living in fear either.

Trup1aya

Yeah, there's nothing illegal about parking in surburbia at any time of day

Durante

The teenagers are entirely, 100% blameless. Any other view is actively dangerous to a free and safe society.

flkraven

I live in Canada and I feel comfortable doing whatever at all hours of the night as long as I'm not literally opening someone's front door and I feel zero threat of being shot. When I lived in Georgia for 5 years I did not.

cj_iwakura

When I tell people that I am native to the state most times the first words from their mouths is that this is uncommon, as if i'm a unicorn.

I don't how much truth there is to this idea but my wife and most friends are native to the state. If a native Floridian is uncommon then it wold seems that the state attracts a lot of idiots.

On a side note the non-natives that I talk to seem to mostly come from the notheastern area of the country.
#thingsthatmakeyougohmmmmm
Natives are indeed very rare overall. Most are either from someplace else or want to leave ASAP.

Well if the kids also had guns they could have defended themselves and have a good-old american wild west shootout as God intended, instead of running away like cowards. Guns don't kill people, weird japanese monsters kill people.

At some point you'll have to do something about gun control, America.

Top Bottom