• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

No matter who it is, they're going to be a "milkshake duck." Just about every lead at ND is a recognizable name.

Man, just imagining the possibilities makes me sad.

scitek

Sexual harassment: It's everywhere.

I just want to remind the kind people to PLEASE don't ever pursue or push for any unwanted touching/attention.
All women (and men) ask is for respect -- that's it... That's really it. But even that seems to be a lot to ask for.

I just avoid all romantic thoughts with coworkers all together. I'm there for a paycheck, and not much else, really.

Boke1879

Your not going to here much more than, sony is investigating these allegations,
Sony supports a harassment free environment, yada yada yada

Exactly. They are going to put out a token statement. That's it and it'll be the end of it. I think our focus should be on encouraging others to speak up if they wish.

Because you know if this lid gets opened there's a shitty group of people waiting to target the abused.

Auraela

Banned
Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

Unless David Hallard is homosexual, I'm going to assume his harasser was a man.

So in ur eyes a guy cant be sexually molested or whatever because they are male. But women can?

Are u one of those people who think men shouldn't cry because it makes them weak

U can fuck off with those views

Dice//

Banned
I just avoid all romantic thoughts with coworkers all together. I'm there for a paycheck, and not much else, really.

Sure. I doubt that means romance hasn't truly blossomed in the workforce though (and it would make sense given the amount if time you spend there).

The better lesson? 1) Don't be a creep, 2) no means no

labaronx

I think laboronx may be conflating two different stories. Ballard didn't say if the harasser in his story is still at Naughty Dog (though I think the implication is that they either still are, or that if they left it wasn't due to the harassment allegations). Someone else replied to Ballard's tweet thread saying she was also harassed by a Naughty Dog employee who now works at a Niantic. We don't know if the person in Ballard's story is the same person.

Yeah sorry confusion on my part... but point still stands its acusser vs accused and without overwhelming proof they cant expose said accused or terminate them and not be at fault....

kirby_fox

Banned
Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

I was sexually harassed by a female coworker. She got around often and was a terrible person, I wanted nothing to do with her sexually. She still grabbed my junk after I kept saying I didn't want her.

Don't be ignorant.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I have had three experiences that have given me a lot of perspective on sexual harassment. I am mobile and working so please mind typos.

1. When I was eighteen, I worked as a housekeeper at an upscale inn. I worked seven days a week, but the hours were short, and the pay was incredible. I would work four hours there and make more than I did working eight hours at my other job. The inn was owned by a middle-aged married couple. They were very, very well liked by the community and their guests.

The husband used to follow me around from room to room as I cleaned and reset them. At first it was under the guise of a quality check, but then it was clear he was just hanging around to talk. He would ask me questions about my life and my plans. He would also always ask if I had found any "naughty things" in the suites. This was always his launching pad for a dirty joke or sexual comment. I just laughed with him even though it was never very funny.

Eventually the comments really ramped up. I started to dread when he would darken the doorway. He would stand there, blocking the only exit, and watch me make the beds and clean the sinks and ask me how I knew I wasn't gay. He would tell me "God blessed me with strong intuition" and tell me how gay I was. He would try to get me to come out to him even though I assured him I was not gay. He would call me "young dumb and full of cum" and other gross things. And if I ever seemed upset, he would give me a raise. I just let it happen and kept collecting the paychecks.

Eventually, I asked for a few days off (four months in advance) to go on vacation. He didn't like the idea, he didn't want me to leave, and didn't think it was "fair" my family would plan a trip when they knew I was working. I explained it wasn't a family trip, it was a trip with my girlfriend, and he fired me immediately.

This taught me that you cannot hope sexual harassment will stop and that keeping your head down to keep your job will not last forever. Eventually, something will happen, and you'll always wish you got out sooner.

2. I was 24 and managing a movie theater. There was a girl there who I was really attracted to, and she was very nice to me, and I thought I could leverage that into a date. We were definitely friends, but I wanted to be more than friends, so I started manipulating the schedule to give us more time together.

I would schedule the two of us to work the same nights. I would send other people home so it was just the two of us. I would keep her late so we could talk alone in the office. I don't know if she ever expected anything. I think, to her, we were just good work friends. I started to get frustrated that nothing was happening.

So I started physically putting myself close to her more often. I would follow her around. I would lean against her. I would intentionally try to pass by her and put my hands on her as I did. Finally, one time, I followed her into a small stock room. I stood in the doorway and watched her and knew she wouldn't be able to leave the room without squeezing by me or asking me to move. I wanted her to touch me. So I intentionally blocked her exit.

And as I was doing this, I had a really sickening epiphany that I was doing to her what my boss at the inn used to to. It was like being hit with some kind of dark lightning. It felt like all the flesh had exploded off my bones and all that was left was my hideous naked skeleton. I backed out of the doorway, went to the office, and never bothered her again.

This taught me that people repeat behavior they've seen, even bad behavior, because they do not perceive themselves as being bad. They normalize their own impulses, they rationalize their own actions, and anybody is capable of harassment.

3. When I was 25, I started working in a corporate environment at an extremely progressively-minded company. In my department, there was a man and a woman who used to date. The woman broke it off a year before, and was six months pregnant, and the man refused to let her go.

The man was always telling her how they were meant to be together. How he would wait for her. He would get angry when she talked to other guys in the office in any capacity. He was constantly demanding she explain herself, or tell him what she was doing, and was always leering at her over the desk partition. Not only did it make her work environment hostile, it was extremely uncomfortable for everyone around them who knew what was happening.

One day, he insists the two of them go to lunch together. She goes with him. But he doesn't take her anywhere, and he won't talk to her, and he won't stop the car. She texts me that she is afraid and doesn't know what happening. She is afraid she might be getting kinapped. I immediately make a dart for Human Resources and tell her I will call the police. But then she texts me not to and says he is turning around. She says she will deal with it when she gets back.

She returns safely, but I still go to HR. I lay it all out. I pull no punches and describe everything that happened, has been happening, and how it affects everyone in the office. The responses I got were maddening.

I was told everything I relayed was hearsay and inadmissible. This kind of report would need to come from one of them and I couldn't make a claim like this on somebody else's behalf.

I was told that since the "kidnapping" occurred during an unpaid lunch break and off of company property, it wasn't a company issue and there was nothing that could be done.

I was told that, since the two of them used to date, I couldn't be sure it was sexual harassment and shouldn't make such bold claims.

This taught me that, even at the best companies, the first instinct of Human Resources is to diminish and downplay the situation to make you doubt its seriousness. They ask how you can be sure, they say there is another side of the story, and they say they are powerless to do anything unless very specific criteria is met. At the end of the day, their job is to make problems go away by taking the path of least resistance. Sometimes this mean justice for the victim and sometimes it means sweeping it under the rug. Whatever can be done most easily and most quietly is what will be done.

These experiences in my life have made me extremely passionate about workplace abuse. I do not stand for it at all. More awareness, more conversation, and more victims coming forward is the best thing that can happen here. Companies need to learn that protecting their employees is the only way to protect their company. They need to be held responsible for what happens under their roofs. Challenge their reputations, make them answer for their failures, and force their hand for change.

That's how I feel.
Thank you so, so much for sharing this.

ajjow

I was sexually harassed by a female coworker. She got around often and was a terrible person, I wanted nothing to do with her sexually. She still grabbed my junk after I kept saying I didn't want her.

Don't be ignorant.

Really!? I dont believe you. Where you from!?

entremet

People saying sue are forgetting that suing isn't easy. Especially against huge corporations. They will bleed you out financially.

Moreover, this is a case of a man getting sexually harassed. Unfortunately, internalized sexism makes it harder for men (it's still for women too) to taken seriously by juries, so not an open and shut case.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Props to this guy for having the courage to speak up — this takes heart.

And secondly, Sony could potentially get in big trouble for this — Whistleblower laws implicitly protect employees against relatiation. These violations carry HEAVY penalties from the state and are frowned upon by the legal system whom many times award LARGE damage sums in wrongful termination lawsuits. He could potentially get his Lost year and a half of work plus tons more.

If I were him, I’d explore his available legal options.

Astral Dog

Fucking hell.

FUCKING HELL.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I'm also feeling weird about Naughty Dog's progressive messages in its games (LGBT, PoC characters, etc.) in retrospect. Is this something that a single executive committed and covered up, or is there a wider infestation and shush order throughout Naughty Dog? Fucking crazy.
It was not only one person, HR, and other executives tried to cover up.

Hoje0308

Banned
That's what the legal system is for. If we doubt claims like this though then people just won't speak up.

Great, so people can be presumed guilty until proven otherwise. Great logic there.

You don't have to doubt the accuser to not claim to know that the accused is guilty. Just like you can say, "Hey, let's maybe pump the breaks a bit here" without being one of the assholes that harasses the accuser. That latter group is probably more likely to prevent people from coming forward.

Ah right, thanks for the explanation and sorry for quick quoting without reading any context towards it!

I think this was well said leeh. Not a lot of people do this, especially in heated threads when coming back to a post and clarifying response they like.

Why am I seeing the same fucking faces shilling for Sony and trying to divert attention away from the topic at hand? This is disgusting. Not gonna bother quoting the lot of you now but please stop making this about console wars and defending Papa Sony.

On topic: Corporate is NEVER your friend; this is true. But, Sony took it a step further and attempted to BRIBE this man, while having wrongfullly terminated him and causing him stress over a 17month time span of not being able to find work and having to lie about it because he feels ashamed WHEN HE SHOULDN'T BE. I would've sued the fuck out of Sony here and win bigtime, but maybe it's beyond that time for him. I wish him the best of luck.
Because some people realise that a company is made up of thousands of people, with each individual person in that company capable of fucking up in someway. We're talking two people at least fucking up here. The sexual predator and the HR member who fired / potentially attempted to bribe the guy. That is not the entirety of the company, and is not a reason to tar thousands of potentially innocent employees with the same brush.

A company is not a person. Stop treating it as such.

That's disgusting.

But i wonder can't he do anything? He has names and he has proof of someone from Sony trying to bribe him.I'm sure there are some high profile lawyers out there who would love to take this case.

They won't call it a bribe. It will be a severance package with a non-disclosure agreement. The former employee is left to deal with the emotional fallout and the company washes it's hands. And the higher up the accused is, the harder the company goes to bat. They would rather pay than face the public scrutiny.

Well, he could've been in a relationship, or married or ... you know, uninterested. A lot of reasons to not want to date in the workplace. So to answer your question, here's a definitive yes and a suggestion to stop thinking that way.

Want to know who did this for sure.

Also not happy with Sony's response here.

Need to know more about situation.
Tell me how you would deal with a harassment allegation that comes to light years after the fact, then.

It is one of the most difficult things to deal with from a legal or social perspective. Verifying information is often times impossible or even more difficult.

kewlmyc

Not surprised, scummy people with power exist everywhere. Pretty sure people like this, both the pursuer and victim, exist in most companies around the world.

Just glad people are starting to come out and admit to this kind of stuff.

Sexual harassment: It's everywhere.

I just want to remind the kind people to PLEASE don't ever pursue or push for any unwanted touching/attention.
All women (and men) ask is for respect -- that's it... That's really it. But even that seems to be a lot to ask for.

I personally think you should never physically touch anyone unless it's a handshake or an initiated hug.

The blurry line here is where does the line between flirting and sexual harassment start and begin. (Verbally I mean) I personally never flirt because I have zero charisma and don't want any potential issues from it. Life is just easier that way. But I always assumed that after the first attempt (shooting your shot as they say) fails then any attempt after that should be considered harassment. In my head that makes sense because it's unwarranted attention.

What i'm wondering is...how many instances of the first attempt do people consider sexual harassment? (Or should that first attempt not even exist to begin with?)

I'm sure I sound naive with these questions and that's because I absolutely am. I'm pretty much a hermit who doesn't participate in/nor do I know anything about the "cat and mouse game" of social courting. (or socializing period for that matter)

I'm also kinda afraid to even ask such questions here given the stories I hear about this forum, hence the screen name.

Fuck them. Fuck them all.

Reading about these things is so damn rough. It's weeks of terrible news troughout. A 25 year old girl from my hometown was found mudered a few days ago after she went missing for almost two weeks (the only suspect being a rapist) and that case just wrecked me completely.
Then there is the Weinstein case and now this.

There are so many terrible people out there and I hope they all pay for it.

I have had three experiences that have given me a lot of perspective on sexual harassment. I am mobile and working so please mind typos.

1. When I was eighteen, I worked as a housekeeper at an upscale inn. I worked seven days a week, but the hours were short, and the pay was incredible. I would work four hours there and make more than I did working eight hours at my other job. The inn was owned by a middle-aged married couple. They were very, very well liked by the community and their guests.

The husband used to follow me around from room to room as I cleaned and reset them. At first it was under the guise of a quality check, but then it was clear he was just hanging around to talk. He would ask me questions about my life and my plans. He would also always ask if I had found any "naughty things" in the suites. This was always his launching pad for a dirty joke or sexual comment. I just laughed with him even though it was never very funny.

Eventually the comments really ramped up. I started to dread when he would darken the doorway. He would stand there, blocking the only exit, and watch me make the beds and clean the sinks and ask me how I knew I wasn't gay. He would tell me "God blessed me with strong intuition" and tell me how gay I was. He would try to get me to come out to him even though I assured him I was not gay. He would call me "young dumb and full of cum" and other gross things. And if I ever seemed upset, he would give me a raise. I just let it happen and kept collecting the paychecks.

Eventually, I asked for a few days off (four months in advance) to go on vacation. He didn't like the idea, he didn't want me to leave, and didn't think it was "fair" my family would plan a trip when they knew I was working. I explained it wasn't a family trip, it was a trip with my girlfriend, and he fired me immediately.

This taught me that you cannot hope sexual harassment will stop and that keeping your head down to keep your job will not last forever. Eventually, something will happen, and you'll always wish you got out sooner.

2. I was 24 and managing a movie theater. There was a girl there who I was really attracted to, and she was very nice to me, and I thought I could leverage that into a date. We were definitely friends, but I wanted to be more than friends, so I started manipulating the schedule to give us more time together.

I would schedule the two of us to work the same nights. I would send other people home so it was just the two of us. I would keep her late so we could talk alone in the office. I don't know if she ever expected anything. I think, to her, we were just good work friends. I started to get frustrated that nothing was happening.

So I started physically putting myself close to her more often. I would follow her around. I would lean against her. I would intentionally try to pass by her and put my hands on her as I did. Finally, one time, I followed her into a small stock room. I stood in the doorway and watched her and knew she wouldn't be able to leave the room without squeezing by me or asking me to move. I wanted her to touch me. So I intentionally blocked her exit.

And as I was doing this, I had a really sickening epiphany that I was doing to her what my boss at the inn used to to. It was like being hit with some kind of dark lightning. It felt like all the flesh had exploded off my bones and all that was left was my hideous naked skeleton. I backed out of the doorway, went to the office, and never bothered her again.

This taught me that people repeat behavior they've seen, even bad behavior, because they do not perceive themselves as being bad. They normalize their own impulses, they rationalize their own actions, and anybody is capable of harassment.

3. When I was 25, I started working in a corporate environment at an extremely progressively-minded company. In my department, there was a man and a woman who used to date. The woman broke it off a year before, and was six months pregnant, and the man refused to let her go.

The man was always telling her how they were meant to be together. How he would wait for her. He would get angry when she talked to other guys in the office in any capacity. He was constantly demanding she explain herself, or tell him what she was doing, and was always leering at her over the desk partition. Not only did it make her work environment hostile, it was extremely uncomfortable for everyone around them who knew what was happening.

One day, he insists the two of them go to lunch together. She goes with him. But he doesn't take her anywhere, and he won't talk to her, and he won't stop the car. She texts me that she is afraid and doesn't know what happening. She is afraid she might be getting kinapped. I immediately make a dart for Human Resources and tell her I will call the police. But then she texts me not to and says he is turning around. She says she will deal with it when she gets back.

She returns safely, but I still go to HR. I lay it all out. I pull no punches and describe everything that happened, has been happening, and how it affects everyone in the office. The responses I got were maddening.

I was told everything I relayed was hearsay and inadmissible. This kind of report would need to come from one of them and I couldn't make a claim like this on somebody else's behalf.

I was told that since the "kidnapping" occurred during an unpaid lunch break and off of company property, it wasn't a company issue and there was nothing that could be done.

I was told that, since the two of them used to date, I couldn't be sure it was sexual harassment and shouldn't make such bold claims.

This taught me that, even at the best companies, the first instinct of Human Resources is to diminish and downplay the situation to make you doubt its seriousness. They ask how you can be sure, they say there is another side of the story, and they say they are powerless to do anything unless very specific criteria is met. At the end of the day, their job is to make problems go away by taking the path of least resistance. Sometimes this mean justice for the victim and sometimes it means sweeping it under the rug. Whatever can be done most easily and most quietly is what will be done.

These experiences in my life have made me extremely passionate about workplace abuse. I do not stand for it at all. More awareness, more conversation, and more victims coming forward is the best thing that can happen here. Companies need to learn that protecting their employees is the only way to protect their company. They need to be held responsible for what happens under their roofs. Challenge their reputations, make them answer for their failures, and force their hand for change.

That's how I feel.

This is one of the best posts I've ever read on GAF. Thank you for sharing.

Shredderi

This doesnt justify anything. Why are you wasting our time?!?!?

The poster who you quoted was not in fact trying to justify anything. He was, rather callously perhaps, expressing his perplexment towards the naivety people have for corporate culture.

Me expressing my shock that people are shocked.

Fuck that attitude. Just fuck that.

Not everyone is an asshole.

The poster who you quoted was not in fact trying to justify anything. He was, rather callously perhaps, expressing his perplexment towards the naivety people have for corporate culture.

Not. Everyone. Is an asshole.

You both want to normalize this behavior? Go ahead. Because by being apathetic towards it, you are doing just that.

Compsiox

Banned
This doesnt justify anything. Why are you wasting our time?!?!?

My point is that there will always be people higher up the ladder that take advantage of their power. It's annoying to me that people are shocked at the disgusting behavior that we hear about everyday.

Instead we should be discussing meaningful ways to prevent this from happening. That doesn't mean being insensitive to the situation though.

Really!? I dont believe you. Where you from!?

He's from earth, where it's very much OK for men to not want sex from any random person at any moment in time. Where it's very much OK for a man to say no, and for another person to understand that and back the hell off.

Where the hell are you from?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My point is that there will always be people higher up the ladder that take advantage of their power. It's annoying to me that people are shocked at the disgusting behavior that we hear about everyday.

Instead we should be discussing meaningful ways to prevent this from happening. That doesn't mean being insensitive to the situation though.

You are doing exactly that.

Top Bottom