• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

TLZ

Banned
Just like the Screen Junky situation remember HR is not your friend, there No.1 priority is the company, therefore they will generally take the side of higher-ups than lower level employees.
Yep. I learned that the hard way.

ajjow

Im not defending the agressor. The problem is a woman doing this against a man im my state/city is almost Impossible.

I work with civil law (im a lawyer) and I see cases like this all the time, but the victim is always a woman or homosexual situation.

Never seen a case of a woman investing against a man to the point of touching his genitalia.

StoveOven

Banned
From your perspective. Of course I feel bad that someone had to undergo this. I just feel like more meaningful discussion could come from this.

The discussion over whether or not we could have a more meaningful discussion is not a meaningful discussion. And also, you're being a total douchebag from everybody's perspective but your own.

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

If I'm not attracted to them? Yes. And especially so at work, where I'm trying to focus on my job and not something that could possibly ruin my career.

Anyone, man or woman, has the right to their own body and to choose when, where, and with whom they have sex.

True Fire

Im not defending the agressor. The problem is a woman doing this against a man im my state/city is almost Impossible.

I work with civil law (im a lawyer) and I see cases like this all the time, but the victim is always a woman or homosexual situation.

Never seen a case of a woman investing against a man to the point of touching his genitalia.

Have you considered social stigma preventing men from coming forward?

entremet

Maybe men are not reporting them due to cultural issues surrounding that scenario? But to say it's impossible is a stretch.

Compsiox

Banned
The discussion over whether or not we could have a more meaningful discussion is not a meaningful discussion. And also, you're being a total douchebag from everybody's perspective but your own.

Well i mean thats reasonable. I called everyone out in anger. But anyway my intention was to help.

Allow me to begin.

What are some ways that you guys think this could be prevented in a workplace environment realistically?

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

Unless David Hallard is homosexual, I'm going to assume his harasser was a man.

Your comment does not take into account a Man who loves his wife, his family and does truly not wish to screwed that shit up. Hell, he could be gay and have a Partner and not want to mess that up. What does it even matter? We don't ask these things when Women are sexualy harrassed. These things should be looked at as they are. Nothing less and nothing more.

ajjow

Have you considered social stigma preventing men from coming forward?

Yes, I do. But i work with this and i see the statistics. Really, In my 8 years of criminal and civil law, Ive only seen one case where a nany was touching this young man of 13y old.

It was the 1st case of a judge with 25years on the job.

Im just saying that is pretty rare in my country. Thats all.

Tyaren

Unless David Hallard is homosexual, I'm going to assume his harasser was a man.

There is so much wrong with this post. I don't even know where to start... You know what? I won't even start.

I hope David will be alright and that everyone, man or woman, that have to go through this and are asking for help/councel, will find more empathy and basic understanding.

Every sexual harasser should be expelled forever from this industry or any industry. I'm disappointed on Sony's alleged reaction to this, but I'm not surprised as HR is there to guard the interests of the company, not yours or mine.

To people boycotting either Sony or ND, it's your choice to do and don't allow anyone to say shit about your decision to boycott. If you are mocked by anyone, consider that to them, sexual harassment is just one way of "flirting." I've met people like that and they can't understand what it is to be sexually harassed.

IcyStorm

Yes, I do. But i work with this and i see the statistics. Really, In my 8 years of criminal and civil law, Ive only seen one case where a nany was touching this young man of 13y old.

It was the 1st case of a judge with 25years on the job.

Im just saying that is pretty rare in my country. Thats all.

The point is that perhaps your culture or society discourages men from being able to speak up about this at all. You bring up seeing very few cases if at all, but maybe the cases don't come up because men feel like they can't say anything or report it.

That definitely exists here in the United States as well, or it's not taken seriously.

I think you'll in general see more sexual harassment of women by men across every culture on Earth, but it might happen more than you would think the other way around.

sphinx

the piano man
the reason why I think this won't amount to anything is because, in order to make ND/Sony speak, someone from the media would have to ask them in the first place, they aren't going to talk if they can avoid it

the moment anyone so much as utters a word regarding this topic, the person gets banned for life from any Sony and/or ND game ever.

labaronx

Ive seen a guy at a hotel call police to say a woman raped him in his sleep. The cops didnt take it seriously,laughed at the guy, and let rhe woman walk. She ended up pregnant and no charges ever filed against her.

You're asking an internet forum to stop commenting on shit that already happened (and is still happening) and try to brainstorm how it could "realistically" not happen.

Unless any of us work for Naughty Dog and more realistically Sony on an exec level, you're basically saying "this shit happens, guys. If you can't change it, why write about your anger?".

Compsiox

Banned
You're asking an internet forum to stop commenting on shit that already happened and try to brainstorm how it could "realistically" not happen.

Unless any of us work for Naughty Dog and more realistically Sony on an exec level, you're basically saying "this shit happens, guys. If you can't change it, why write about your anger?".

Not at all. I want people to be aware that this happens everywhere in every environment. Not to stop talking about it.

sublimit

Banned
It will be interesting to see if popular Youtubers will have the balls to talk about this or keep it under the carpet.

Shredderi

Fuck that attitude. Just fuck that.

Not everyone is an asshole.

Not. Everyone. Is an asshole.

You both want to normalize this behavior? Go ahead. Because by being apathetic towards it, you are doing just that.

Wanting to normalize it? I was just correcting a poster who misunderstood another poster's intentions.

BaasRed

Banned
You know what? Fuck this, not buying anything Naughty Dog makes until the responsible person is fired. Fuck both ND and Sony for covering this up. Cowards.

I have had three experiences that have given me a lot of perspective on sexual harassment. I am mobile and working so please mind typos.

1. When I was eighteen, I worked as a housekeeper at an upscale inn. I worked seven days a week, but the hours were short, and the pay was incredible. I would work four hours there and make more than I did working eight hours at my other job. The inn was owned by a middle-aged married couple. They were very, very well liked by the community and their guests.

The husband used to follow me around from room to room as I cleaned and reset them. At first it was under the guise of a quality check, but then it was clear he was just hanging around to talk. He would ask me questions about my life and my plans. He would also always ask if I had found any "naughty things" in the suites. This was always his launching pad for a dirty joke or sexual comment. I just laughed with him even though it was never very funny.

Eventually the comments really ramped up. I started to dread when he would darken the doorway. He would stand there, blocking the only exit, and watch me make the beds and clean the sinks and ask me how I knew I wasn't gay. He would tell me "God blessed me with strong intuition" and tell me how gay I was. He would try to get me to come out to him even though I assured him I was not gay. He would call me "young dumb and full of cum" and other gross things. And if I ever seemed upset, he would give me a raise. I just let it happen and kept collecting the paychecks.

Eventually, I asked for a few days off (four months in advance) to go on vacation. He didn't like the idea, he didn't want me to leave, and didn't think it was "fair" my family would plan a trip when they knew I was working. I explained it wasn't a family trip, it was a trip with my girlfriend, and he fired me immediately.

This taught me that you cannot hope sexual harassment will stop and that keeping your head down to keep your job will not last forever. Eventually, something will happen, and you'll always wish you got out sooner.

2. I was 24 and managing a movie theater. There was a girl there who I was really attracted to, and she was very nice to me, and I thought I could leverage that into a date. We were definitely friends, but I wanted to be more than friends, so I started manipulating the schedule to give us more time together.

I would schedule the two of us to work the same nights. I would send other people home so it was just the two of us. I would keep her late so we could talk alone in the office. I don't know if she ever expected anything. I think, to her, we were just good work friends. I started to get frustrated that nothing was happening.

So I started physically putting myself close to her more often. I would follow her around. I would lean against her. I would intentionally try to pass by her and put my hands on her as I did. Finally, one time, I followed her into a small stock room. I stood in the doorway and watched her and knew she wouldn't be able to leave the room without squeezing by me or asking me to move. I wanted her to touch me. So I intentionally blocked her exit.

And as I was doing this, I had a really sickening epiphany that I was doing to her what my boss at the inn used to to. It was like being hit with some kind of dark lightning. It felt like all the flesh had exploded off my bones and all that was left was my hideous naked skeleton. I backed out of the doorway, went to the office, and never bothered her again.

This taught me that people repeat behavior they've seen, even bad behavior, because they do not perceive themselves as being bad. They normalize their own impulses, they rationalize their own actions, and anybody is capable of harassment.

3. When I was 25, I started working in a corporate environment at an extremely progressively-minded company. In my department, there was a man and a woman who used to date. The woman broke it off a year before, and was six months pregnant, and the man refused to let her go.

The man was always telling her how they were meant to be together. How he would wait for her. He would get angry when she talked to other guys in the office in any capacity. He was constantly demanding she explain herself, or tell him what she was doing, and was always leering at her over the desk partition. Not only did it make her work environment hostile, it was extremely uncomfortable for everyone around them who knew what was happening.

One day, he insists the two of them go to lunch together. She goes with him. But he doesn't take her anywhere, and he won't talk to her, and he won't stop the car. She texts me that she is afraid and doesn't know what happening. She is afraid she might be getting kinapped. I immediately make a dart for Human Resources and tell her I will call the police. But then she texts me not to and says he is turning around. She says she will deal with it when she gets back.

She returns safely, but I still go to HR. I lay it all out. I pull no punches and describe everything that happened, has been happening, and how it affects everyone in the office. The responses I got were maddening.

I was told everything I relayed was hearsay and inadmissible. This kind of report would need to come from one of them and I couldn't make a claim like this on somebody else's behalf.

I was told that since the "kidnapping" occurred during an unpaid lunch break and off of company property, it wasn't a company issue and there was nothing that could be done.

I was told that, since the two of them used to date, I couldn't be sure it was sexual harassment and shouldn't make such bold claims.

This taught me that, even at the best companies, the first instinct of Human Resources is to diminish and downplay the situation to make you doubt its seriousness. They ask how you can be sure, they say there is another side of the story, and they say they are powerless to do anything unless very specific criteria is met. At the end of the day, their job is to make problems go away by taking the path of least resistance. Sometimes this mean justice for the victim and sometimes it means sweeping it under the rug. Whatever can be done most easily and most quietly is what will be done.

These experiences in my life have made me extremely passionate about workplace abuse. I do not stand for it at all. More awareness, more conversation, and more victims coming forward is the best thing that can happen here. Companies need to learn that protecting their employees is the only way to protect their company. They need to be held responsible for what happens under their roofs. Challenge their reputations, make them answer for their failures, and force their hand for change.

That's how I feel.

Thank you for sharing

KahooTs

the reason why I think this won't amount to anything is because, in order to make ND/Sony speak, someone from the media would have to ask them in the first place, they aren't going to talk if they can avoid it

the moment anyone so much as utters a word regarding this topic, the person gets banned for life from any Sony and/or ND game ever.
I'd think given the circumstances and timing there's likely to be journalists and publications who don't otherwise give a shit about video games coming and asking questions.

But I'm not going to write off every games journalist without them having a chance.

Not at all. I want people to be aware that this happens everywhere in every environment. Not to stop talking about it.

It's incredibly condescending and patronizing to think people don't realize this.

ND has a history of being inclusive and "good". That's where the surprise is coming from.

watdaeff4

Human resources are there to protect the company, never think they'd do anything for you if it costs the company.

As someone who used to work in administration and worked very closely with HR departments regarding sensitive matters, I would like to clarify this.

In these matters, HR will always take the course of action to prevent the company from facing a lawsuit. Period. BTW, the last company I worked for had an attorney by practice the VP of their HR in fact

Never believe that HR is there to protect employees. They aren't, the exact opposite

im curious how many people were involved in this or knew about it?

before i don't know that i don't think its fair to point the finger on the whole studio or saying i will never buy a Naughty Dog Game because of the mistake of few people

hopefully the people responsible for that and even those that knew about it get their consueqences

I can never trust HR of any big company. Of all that I've been part of I've always found them useless. I rarely see them having the employees best interests in mind.

Compsiox

Banned
It's incredibly condescending and patronizing to think people don't realize this.

ND has a history of being inclusive and "good". That's where the surprise is coming from.

Which is why I said I called people out in a state of anger. Im over that and want to know what people think would be best to prevent this. Perhaps we could analyze the situation from what we know to come up with a possible way to prevent this in studios and other environments.

Although a large factor here appears to be the lack of unions.

I have had three experiences that have given me a lot of perspective on sexual harassment. I am mobile and working so please mind typos.

1. When I was eighteen, I worked as a housekeeper at an upscale inn. I worked seven days a week, but the hours were short, and the pay was incredible. I would work four hours there and make more than I did working eight hours at my other job. The inn was owned by a middle-aged married couple. They were very, very well liked by the community and their guests.

The husband used to follow me around from room to room as I cleaned and reset them. At first it was under the guise of a quality check, but then it was clear he was just hanging around to talk. He would ask me questions about my life and my plans. He would also always ask if I had found any "naughty things" in the suites. This was always his launching pad for a dirty joke or sexual comment. I just laughed with him even though it was never very funny.

Eventually the comments really ramped up. I started to dread when he would darken the doorway. He would stand there, blocking the only exit, and watch me make the beds and clean the sinks and ask me how I knew I wasn't gay. He would tell me "God blessed me with strong intuition" and tell me how gay I was. He would try to get me to come out to him even though I assured him I was not gay. He would call me "young dumb and full of cum" and other gross things. And if I ever seemed upset, he would give me a raise. I just let it happen and kept collecting the paychecks.

Eventually, I asked for a few days off (four months in advance) to go on vacation. He didn't like the idea, he didn't want me to leave, and didn't think it was "fair" my family would plan a trip when they knew I was working. I explained it wasn't a family trip, it was a trip with my girlfriend, and he fired me immediately.

This taught me that you cannot hope sexual harassment will stop and that keeping your head down to keep your job will not last forever. Eventually, something will happen, and you'll always wish you got out sooner.

2. I was 24 and managing a movie theater. There was a girl there who I was really attracted to, and she was very nice to me, and I thought I could leverage that into a date. We were definitely friends, but I wanted to be more than friends, so I started manipulating the schedule to give us more time together.

I would schedule the two of us to work the same nights. I would send other people home so it was just the two of us. I would keep her late so we could talk alone in the office. I don't know if she ever expected anything. I think, to her, we were just good work friends. I started to get frustrated that nothing was happening.

So I started physically putting myself close to her more often. I would follow her around. I would lean against her. I would intentionally try to pass by her and put my hands on her as I did. Finally, one time, I followed her into a small stock room. I stood in the doorway and watched her and knew she wouldn't be able to leave the room without squeezing by me or asking me to move. I wanted her to touch me. So I intentionally blocked her exit.

And as I was doing this, I had a really sickening epiphany that I was doing to her what my boss at the inn used to to. It was like being hit with some kind of dark lightning. It felt like all the flesh had exploded off my bones and all that was left was my hideous naked skeleton. I backed out of the doorway, went to the office, and never bothered her again.

This taught me that people repeat behavior they've seen, even bad behavior, because they do not perceive themselves as being bad. They normalize their own impulses, they rationalize their own actions, and anybody is capable of harassment.

3. When I was 25, I started working in a corporate environment at an extremely progressively-minded company. In my department, there was a man and a woman who used to date. The woman broke it off a year before, and was six months pregnant, and the man refused to let her go.

The man was always telling her how they were meant to be together. How he would wait for her. He would get angry when she talked to other guys in the office in any capacity. He was constantly demanding she explain herself, or tell him what she was doing, and was always leering at her over the desk partition. Not only did it make her work environment hostile, it was extremely uncomfortable for everyone around them who knew what was happening.

One day, he insists the two of them go to lunch together. She goes with him. But he doesn't take her anywhere, and he won't talk to her, and he won't stop the car. She texts me that she is afraid and doesn't know what happening. She is afraid she might be getting kinapped. I immediately make a dart for Human Resources and tell her I will call the police. But then she texts me not to and says he is turning around. She says she will deal with it when she gets back.

She returns safely, but I still go to HR. I lay it all out. I pull no punches and describe everything that happened, has been happening, and how it affects everyone in the office. The responses I got were maddening.

I was told everything I relayed was hearsay and inadmissible. This kind of report would need to come from one of them and I couldn't make a claim like this on somebody else's behalf.

I was told that since the "kidnapping" occurred during an unpaid lunch break and off of company property, it wasn't a company issue and there was nothing that could be done.

I was told that, since the two of them used to date, I couldn't be sure it was sexual harassment and shouldn't make such bold claims.

This taught me that, even at the best companies, the first instinct of Human Resources is to diminish and downplay the situation to make you doubt its seriousness. They ask how you can be sure, they say there is another side of the story, and they say they are powerless to do anything unless very specific criteria is met. At the end of the day, their job is to make problems go away by taking the path of least resistance. Sometimes this mean justice for the victim and sometimes it means sweeping it under the rug. Whatever can be done most easily and most quietly is what will be done.

These experiences in my life have made me extremely passionate about workplace abuse. I do not stand for it at all. More awareness, more conversation, and more victims coming forward is the best thing that can happen here. Companies need to learn that protecting their employees is the only way to protect their company. They need to be held responsible for what happens under their roofs. Challenge their reputations, make them answer for their failures, and force their hand for change.

That's how I feel.

This is an incredible post, thank you for sharing this.

TLZ

Banned
This happens all the time it's no surprise. Especially by people in power. They get the feeling they're untouchable and threatening.

I was constantly harrassed by gay men throughout my life, and these weren't in power at all. So I'm not surprised there at all. And I never cared about telling anyone anyway. I just thought I'd deal with it myself and it stops there.

I can never trust HR of any big company. Of all that I've been part of I've always found them useless. I rarely see them having the employees best interests in mind.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom