• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I understand the topic within the OP isn’t a laughing matter, but that doesn’t mean jokes cannot be made about said topic. South Park, for example, does it all the time. I really don’t see the issue

Coming in here and making a shit joke about being fine with sexual assault because you get $20K is not some laughable commentary on the subject.

True Fire

I understand the topic within the OP isn’t a laughing matter, but that doesn’t mean jokes cannot be made about said topic. South Park, for example, does it all the time. I really don’t see the issue

I wouldn't recommend using South Park as your moral guideline.

Rmagnus

Banned

A joke is supposed to be funny. So if you got sexually abused or someone close to you had it and the abuser offer 20k and some asshole on the Internet goes go on take it. That's your idea of a joke?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've been sexually harassed and straight up raped by women. I'm a heterosexual man. Men don't just want sex all the time and we can and have been raped and sexually harassed by women. This line of thinking pisses me right off.
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It pisses me off too when people generalize about men like that. It's so insane and stupid and wrong.

This taught me that people repeat behavior they've seen, even bad behavior, because they do not perceive themselves as being bad. They normalize their own impulses, they rationalize their own actions, and anybody is capable of harassment.
Great post. This part especially was illuminating. It's great that you managed to realize that your behaviour was wrong and you corrected it on your own, sadly not everyone has that kind of self-awareness.

NoName999

Yes, the paragon of television that is SOUTH PARK.

Here's the problem: It's the nasty double standard rearing its ugly head in. If the victim was a woman, no one would be making these "jokes." But since it's a man, "Haha, it's funny. LOLs for all. He's just a f*g."

CJY

Banned
Coming in here and making a shit joke about being fine with sexual assault because you get $20K is not some laughable commentary on the subject.

I just feel he’s perfectly entitled to make a joke on it if he so chooses. Even if it does make him look like a jerk. Anyway... don’t want to derail the thread. This is a very important issue, and I’m glad people are speaking out.

On topic: so this guy who was sexually assaulted, is there any indication whether it was a man or a woman who did the “assaulting”? Maybe he was assaulted by a woman?

Well, that's something you and the other poster have in common. But don't be surprised that others think less of your comment.

Griss

There aren't specifics but would it change the circumstance?

It would. Maybe it shouldn't, but it would.

In most cases there isn't the physical threat of domination when a woman harasses a man, so the fear factor is a little different. I've been sexually harassed by a female coworker - if it ever got to the stage where I was really, super uncomfortable I could just throw her to the ground and tell her to fuck off. There's no fear there, just annoyance.

It's a bit different for women in most cases.

Blueblur1

The last Naughty Dog game I bought was the first Uncharted. Glad I haven’t bought any since. I’m going to start skipping Sony games too. Fuck this shit.

Roldan

I've been there, it sucks.

Congrats for the dude for gathering the strength to expose this shitty behavior coming from such a well regarded studio.

Rmagnus

Banned
Gaming culture? Dumb replies like that are not tied to a hobby. Just stupid people and we have a lot of those on this planet.

Notallgamers lol I am always amused that gamers can't see how toxic the community can be. Gaf is mod really well and we still have asshats around

Blueblur1

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

Unless David Hallard is homosexual, I'm going to assume his harasser was a man.

l’m a dude and years ago I was being harassed by a new employee I was training. I was not fond of her constantly calling me cute, constantly putting her hands on me during conversations and putting her arms around me when walking to and from the training room. That shit was not cool and was a drop in the bucket compared to what other people have gone through.

Dice//

Banned
The last Naughty Dog game I bought was the first Uncharted. Glad I haven’t bought any since. I’m going to start skipping Sony games too. Fuck this shit.

This does nothing. One rotten egg in one company is nothing compared to your 'refusal to purchase' (which technically you decided on just now and just because it sorta worked out that way). The fact is this happens in MANY industries and to MANY people.

Boycotting won't necessarily help, what will is changing the message we send to society about how this is unacceptable behaviour at any level or any position.
Many HR's are at fault for not reporting this, many CEOs for brushing this under the rug. We can point fingers at one, but at the end of the day there's a wider net we should cast than just grabbing our torches and pitchforks for one company.

However, hopefully Sony is looking into this matter seriously too.

big_z

Surprised no name was mentioned in the tweets. Crappy people should be called out.

I wonder if this will lead to people from rockstar coming forward. The rumoured stories surrounding that studio makes it sound like the worst of the worst.

Noirulus

There's also this response from someone else.

tlNbeEs.png

A quick google search of Naughty Dog and Niantic brings up someone, but I don't know what the rules are on this sort of stuff, don't want to start a witch hunt if it's not the right person.

That guy stopped working at Naughty Dog in 2008.

Blueblur1

This does nothing. One rotten egg in one company is nothing compared to your 'refusal to purchase' (which technically you decided on just now and just because it sorta worked out that way). The fact is this happens in MANY industries and to MANY people.

Boycotting won't necessarily help, what will is changing the message we send to society about how this is unacceptable behaviour at any level or any position.
Many HR's are at fault for not reporting this, many CEOs for brushing this under the rug. We can point fingers at one, but at the end of the day there's a wider net we should cast than just grabbing our torches and pitchforks for one company.

You have valid points but I would still prefer to not put money in those companies’ pockets.

Rmagnus

Banned

I am sure they are. After offering 20k they must be thinking what else they can do to shut him up.
Boycotting Sony or ND games doesn't help as every game you buy on ps4 Sony gets a cut.

Lightning

Banned
Without knowing both sides to the situation I refuse to judge anything here. Usually in these situations both sides tend to leave out key details not favorable to their situation.

pixelation

Also, lol @ all the people going "i will never buy a ND/Sony game again!, fuck 'em!"

If that's the attitude you're going to take towards all types of wrong doing in the world. You better start making your own TV's, Consoles, start planting vegetables, buy a farm with animals, design your own clothes... the world is a fucked up place wherever you choose to look, You just don't learn about it all.

Also, lol @ all the people going "i will never buy a ND/Sony game again!, fuck 'em!"

If that's the attitude you're going to take towards all types of wrong doing in the world. You better start making your own TV's, Consoles, start planting vegetables, buy a farm with animals, design your own clothes... the world is a fucked up place wherever you choose to look, You just don't learn about it all.

This is not a ND/Sony specific problem (as seen in the past few weeks, i am sure more will come). Your "joke" falls flat.

The problem I have with responses such as yours (i.e., "It isn't just happening here, it's happening everywhere.") is that it gives this degenerate offense a degree of normalcy.

Tain

this is cosmic brain bullshit.

people decide what they don't want to support based on the context of their own lives. nobody is saying "i will stop doing anything that may cause any money to go toward a bad person", but you already know that.

This is not a ND/Sony specific problem (as seen in the past few weeks, i am sure more will come). Your "joke" falls flat.
It may not be specific to Sony but they still fired someone for being sexually harassed and tried to pay for his silence. Just because it happens elsewhere doesn't make it any less despicable.

Top Bottom