• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

Not sure if this is fine to post, but here's a thread about David I made a couple years ago, when he (first) left Naughty Dog.

The thread was posted in 2014, before he says the harassment occurred. Later in the thread, it was posted by someone that he returned in May of 2015. Another user later posted that he left (now we know fired) Naughty Dog in June 2016. So it seems the harassment occurred during this time frame.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879401&highlight=

I'm always surprised that people are surprised that this happens in every industry. If the fans can be shitty(gamergate) and the games can be super objectifying. How the hell could the industry itself not be rife with harassment and abuse?

labaronx

Again from experience the head of HR knew as well as every person in the chain of command that person reports to (depending how their leadership is organized)

This so much

I understand that but, hrs can act as independent agencys within a company. Hr can override senior management on a lot of things it barely happens the other way around.

Spman2099

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

Unless David Hallard is homosexual, I'm going to assume his harasser was a man.

What? What? What?

Okay, man, what the fuck? I absolutely do not want other people touching me inappropriately. Even if I were sexually attracted to a person, I would be unhappy with someone touching me inappropriately. I have had unpleasant experiences in the past. Nothing I would formally consider to be harassment, and nothing in the workplace, but experiences that I have found to be deeply awkward.

Unless we are dating, or there is some form of consent, keep it professional.

What's sexually harassing to some people doesn't bother others.

That is true, but what is your point? If an individual doesn't formally give their consent, and you do something inappropriate, they get to decide if it is harassment or not. Sure. However, going around doing things that many people would consider to be harassment, and just assuming that they won't, isn't exactly a great way to conduct yourself.

L Thammy

Genuinely asking, but would any heterosexual man actually be upset if a woman made sexual advances toward them?
Almost every straight guy I know would just view such a scenario as "suprise sex."

I am not my dick.

What is progressive about a workplace culture built around intense crunch?

Not everyone is aware of this fact.

It's not about the fact that someone got a fucking platinum trophy on one of their dlcs you know.

Edit: just to make it clear, I'm not siding with the company, just saying someone is naïve because they thought they were a good company isn't as cut and dry as people make it out to be.

labaronx

Again from experience the head of HR knew as well as every person in the chain of command that person reports to (depending how their leadership is organized)

This so much

I understand that but, hrs can act as independent agencys within a company. Hr can override senior management on a lot of things it barely happens the other way around.

MrS

Banned
Not everyone is aware of this fact.

It's not about the fact that someone got a fucking platinum trophy on one of their dlcs you know.

Edit: just to make it clear, I'm not siding with the company, just saying someone is naïve because they thought they were a good company isn't as cut and dry as people make it out to be.
I accept your apology.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Jesus fucking Christ.

No you're wrong

I understand that HR exists to protect the company. I just don't understand how they come to the conclusion that stuffing skeletons in their closet is the best thing long term.

Obviously, every company should help the victims in these incidents, because it's the right thing to do. But it's also the thing that makes the most business sense.

At my company, one of the ethics concepts ingrained in us from day one, is the "news headline" test: pretend the decision you are about to make is going to end up on the front page of the news. Would you be ashamed? If so, it's probably wrong AND will harm the company in the long term.

I worked at a company that would spout the same ethos. When HR gets involved, that stop sign has already been passed and it's thier job to minimize the damage.

The problem isnt making a statement the problem is who knows what and when? Sony has switched so many people around at wws, anybody who was there that knew anything could be gone now? Or they never new, how much access to the lower employees have to executives?

Did yoshida know anything?
Did adam boyes know anything?
Did druckmann or staley know anything?
What about evan wells?

Did upper management have a clue about any of this or was this solely on sony HR. The issue is disgusting but also complicated?

All good questions but I think you can still maybe recognise the situation in a video and give s view on the info available. It would be best to wait and see how ND/Sony respond before making a vid.

Yeah these things are very complicated when it comes to large corporations. People painting all of Sony/ND should probably wait until more info comes out? Otherwise, the people that should be called disgusting are HR and whoever the harasser was.

I've never worked at Sony but I can tell you this. When you lose a member of a team that is important to you or your organization, Operations management is aware. Frank or Sally don't just not show up for work one day and you never ask why.
Now that does not mean you know every intricate detail but you are aware. If even it's just to keep an eye out for that type of behavior should it ever reoccur.

That and the "what is workplace harassment" refresher that every manager gets afterward.
I know it's an oversimplification.

Dice//

Banned
SuperÑ;252027302 said:
I'd gladly let somebody touch my dick for 20k$, but that's just me.

I get you're making a [bad] joke, but I guess the point is you'd have to be offered it in advance and consent to the dick touch.... that's not how this played out nor did the $20k offer happen till the deed and damage was done (oh and apparently getting fired for it which might end up costing more than the consolation prize).
Sooooooo.....hah?

Probably not a sure thing we even get one, but doesn't this accusation deserve some type of official statement? Or has one already been released?

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
I'm glad the whole Weinstein-Hollywood scandal has given a lot of people the support and courage they needed to come out with their own experiences with sexual harrassment/assault. It's incredibly unfortunate and disappointing that Naughty Dog's socially progressive stance in their games doesn't seem to reflect how they handle such serious cases of workplace harrassment, no matter the victim's gender. :(

I hope people will continue to find the strength to stand up and make their voices heard; expose these disgusting mofos.

L Thammy

SuperÑ;252027302 said:

What was going through your mind when you decided this was an appropriate thing to post? Anything at all?

labaronx

What I'm saying is that they knew it happened

The higher ups like boyes and yoshida... maybe... after the fact... who knows but i imagine the president of naughty dog would even after the fact...

My overall question is, is stuff like this managed in house or are people told to immediately contact hr when issues come up? If i say youve been making racial slurs towards me, do i address ND management or does it go straight to sony HR. Once u step into HR the burden unfortunately is on the accuser and what evidence they have. If ND management kept getting complaints and did nothing this falls on senior management.

NoName999

SuperÑ;252027302 said:

So, guys. Anyone else pretty much accept the fact that gaming culture is never gonna be taken seriously?

aznpxdd

Wow fuck these companies. Will never see a dollar from me again and I'm glad I never played a single game from ND's sorry ass.

Top Bottom