• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

Redshirt

Banned
A disappointing aspect for me is that the Plankerton storm base has a new tile set that it isn't actually used throughout Plankerton.

Watching a Twitch streamer get to Canny Valley (not there yet myself) and it has a
desert
tile set, but the mission tile set reverts back to Stormwood.

Tei

Neo Member
A disappointing aspect for me is that the Plankerton storm base has a new tile set that it isn't actually used throughout Plankerton.

Watching a Twitch streamer get to Canny Valley (not there yet myself) and it has a
desert
tile set, but the mission tile set reverts back to Stormwood.

Probably incomplete or showing bugs. I guest they have "hardcoded" grass in some tiles and that looks bad in a
desert
-y area.

DarkKyo

Just got the game a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it, I just had a question..

What should I be aiming for in terms of loot? What's the most desirable thing to get, new heroes? New schematics? What should I be leveling up now and saving for later?

Also, what should I be spending founders coins and vbucks on? I see there's a people llama that's temporary in the loot shop, do they just switch up that llama slot every so often?

FeD.nL

Just got the game a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it, I just had a question..

What should I be aiming for in terms of loot? What's the most desirable thing to get, new heroes? New schematics? What should I be leveling up now and saving for later?

Also, what should I be spending founders coins and vbucks on? I see there's a people llama that's temporary in the loot shop, do they just switch up that llama slot every so often?

In terms of progression, focus on getting your survivors most optimally slotted. In the skill trees I personally go for extra survivor slots first and level those up. I would not evolve them though, better to use those raindrops first for the hero you enjoy using because that unlocks more skills.

Don't evolve a weapon/trap too soon. If you're not in Plankerton yet for example, do not evolve your weapon to Silver since you probably can't get your hands on enough materials to reliably craft it.

Spend your founders coins on the launch event Llama. I would save up your Vbucks for Super Llama's. The people Llama does change everyday, though this one has been there for 3 days now. But 'Super' Llama's while more expensive guarantee a legendary drop which is more valuable. Though there is something to be said for just building you collection with regular Llama's. For example you need a whole lot of survivors once you start unlocking extra slots.

a question about storm shield storage.

a) the only way to store material is load the stage and manuallly do it and then quit out?

b) There's no way to remove or take content out after storage hey - I'm asking because I think I done goofed and put too much wood in there when wood is basically useless. should have just stored all the metals.

question about outlander and treasure boxes - i think a tutorial/prompt popped up saying that the treasure boxes talk to them - so I quickly changed to using an outlander but I don't hear them? Is it an unlockable skill?

so you just run around and hope you find a treasure chest? Any guides or hints at where they're best at?

third question - I played a game where people ran around and raided the town for ages and I was told not to set off the final attack. So I had to wait for an hour before the mission finished - so boring. is there some sort of reason why people just drag the game out instead of doing multiple tries - the only thing I can think of is trying to get high level chests.

Redshirt

Banned
a question about storm shield storage.

a) the only way to store material is load the stage and manuallly do it and then quit out?

b) There's no way to remove or take content out after storage hey - I'm asking because I think I done goofed and put too much wood in there when wood is basically useless. should have just stored all the metals.

question about outlander and treasure boxes - i think a tutorial/prompt popped up saying that the treasure boxes talk to them - so I quickly changed to using an outlander but I don't hear them? Is it an unlockable skill?

so you just run around and hope you find a treasure chest? Any guides or hints at where they're best at?

third question - I played a game where people ran around and raided the town for ages and I was told not to set off the final attack. So I had to wait for an hour before the mission finished - so boring. is there some sort of reason why people just drag the game out instead of doing multiple tries - the only thing I can think of is trying to get high level chests.

a) Yes.

b) You can go into your storage and take the materials out. If you don't have enough personal inventory, game will just drop them on the floor.

Outlanders: Chests have a visual aura that can be seen through walls/floors/etc. I think there is an audio cue, too, but I don't hear it very well either.

Third question: I guess they just wanted to stock up on materials? Not sure. The Repair the Shelter mission requires a lot of prep. Never had one before that take that much time.

They're fairly random but you'll find them in certain spots more often than others. Bunkers, which can be found on most maps I think. Tall buildings on the roof or top floors. Basements, sometimes hidden behind a wall. Caves.

Another way to find chests is by building radar towers. The towers do tell you what they'll spot before you build it. It'll show up on the map once you complete the tower and you might find more than 1 if you add bluglo after building.

FeD.nL

So did the side quest that gave the legendary ranged transform key, for anyone interested in the thresholds/materials required:

4bcQsUv.png

this was my result:

Had to kill 10 elemental fatties and get their stuff to drop. Took me 3 missions, though the last mission gave me 7 so I think you can do it in one mission if you're lucky with the spawns. Used dupes for the trade in so pretty happy with the result.

edit: fixed the images

Turkoop

Banned
So did the side quest that gave the legendary ranged transform key, for anyone interested in the thresholds/materials required:

this was my result:

Had to kill 10 elemental fatties and get their stuff to drop. Took me 3 missions, though the last mission gave me 7 so I think you can do it in one mission if you're lucky with the spawns. Used dupes for the trade in so pretty happy with the result.

Still not sure if the transforming thing could be useful. Don't want to invest my raindrops into that.

I was just going to post about the legendary schematics. 15 rain drops is nothing. Rain drops are not that hard to farm. But if it's not apparent, the transform schematic you get is 1 use, like the ones you get from some mission rewards with the timer.

You also get a melee legendary schematic and a survivor schematic.

The one time use schematics use different resources than the permanent ones you unlock from skill/research trees btw.

They need to make getting the 1 time use schematics more common. Like if I could farm an epic transform schematic per day I think that would alleviate people's concerns about llamas.

LycanXIII

I was just going to post about the legendary schematics. 15 rain drops is nothing. Rain drops are not that hard to farm. But if it's not apparent, the transform schematic you get is 1 use, like the ones you get from some mission rewards with the timer.

You also get a melee legendary schematic and a survivor schematic.

The one time use schematics use different resources than the permanent ones you unlock from skill/research trees btw.

They need to make getting the 1 time use schematics more common. Like if I could farm an epic transform schematic per day I think that would alleviate people's concerns about llamas.

Farming one schematic per day, which might not even be an upgrade, would not alleviate concerns.

Lettuce

Are you only able to change and recycle your heroes weapons whist actually in a mission, theres no way to do this from the command centre??

Aselith

this was my result:

That thing looks pretty cool

Farming one schematic per day, which might not even be an upgrade, would not alleviate concerns.

People can only really speak for themselves, and for me it would.

I think they could do daily quests that reward transform schematics, and maybe every so often you get one that gives a legendary transform schematic.

This wouldn't be literally the only thing that they should do, I never suggested that.

And it's okay if it's not always an upgrade. You have plenty of uses for weaker schematics.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yeah, I've created something very weird, a building maze monstrosity
If I was an Engineer, Holy Shit, would I suck at my job lol

Side View:
gWHZPTt.jpg

Top View:
OId5qoG.jpg

tXZzpyU.jpg

ne8bkUE.jpg

yhBTj9S.jpg

Front View:
tsNds2D.jpg

LRulqRk.jpg

c8RYtK8.jpg

What's supposed to be the point to having lead survivors who's job type don't match any of the slots? Was going to upgrade one to an epic but she doesn't seem to be the right job type for any of them.

LycanXIII

What's supposed to be the point to having lead survivors who's job type don't match any of the slots? Was going to upgrade one to an epic but she doesn't seem to be the right job type for any of them.

If you inspect them, it says where to equip them. Unless it doesn't have one listed, then idk.

DeaDPo0L84

Whoever thought it was a good idea to gate main story progress behind the completion of 3 bluglo siphons is an asshole. Shit is not fun and its terrible that I can complete one or two but if we fail the mission cause randoms start it too early or claim the prize at level 2 MY progress gets fucked and I have to restart the mission all over. Dumb stupid decision that has completely killed my enjoyment out of it and I have been playing pretty much every chance I get since launch. Done, will try and come back when I feel like the game isnt kicking me straight in the dick for trying to enjoy it.

Tei

Neo Member
Whoever thought it was a good idea to gate main story progress behind the completion of 3 bluglo siphons is an asshole. Shit is not fun and its terrible that I can complete one or two but if we fail the mission cause randoms start it too early or claim the prize at level 2 MY progress gets fucked and I have to restart the mission all over. Dumb stupid decision that has completely killed my enjoyment out of it and I have been playing pretty much every chance I get since launch. Done, will try and come back when I feel like the game isnt kicking me straight in the dick for trying to enjoy it.

I am wrong or you can do 1 siphon in one mission, then 1 in the next, then 1 in the next?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I am wrong or you can do 1 siphon in one mission, then 1 in the next, then 1 in the next?
You can, but it only counts in successful missions.

But I do agree, that BluGlo siphon thing is pretty shit, luckily everyone seemed to want to do them when I did mine.

Redshirt

Banned

Not a great design for random matchmaking. Maybe do #lfg on Fortnite Discord or in-game chat.

Didn't realize this was a thing. I don't have any like that.

Tei

Neo Member
You can, but it only counts in successful missions.

But I do agree, that BluGlo siphon thing is pretty shit, luckily everyone seemed to want to do them when I did mine.

I play on the PS4, so when people ask for help (that is rare) I always help. People should be more talkative. But I understand because is rare to connect a keyboard to a console, like I did for Fortnite.

I must be awesome to play videogames in USA, where everyone talks english. Here in europe you could be playing with a italian, a french, a german and a guy from finland. Communication is more complicate (better if you talk english, has many understand it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I play on the PS4, so when people ask for help (that is rare) I always help. People should be more talkative. But I understand because is rare to connect a keyboard to a console, like I did for Fortnite.

I must be awesome to play videogames in USA, where everyone talks english. Here in europe you could be playing with a italian, a french, a german and a guy from finland. Communication is more complicate (better if you talk english, has many understand it.
Console might a bit harder but at least for PC you can swap regions and the progress seem to carry over so if you got communication issues you could swap and try there. Think you can cross play between the regions too.

Pilgrimzero

Just stated playing yesterday. Just opened up The Collection.

Why can I slot some things into it and not others?

What good are schematics? I have a ton of them and can't seem to do anything with them except upgrade.

How do I use one to make a gun etc?

I have several actual weapons I can equip (on missions only why?) how do I get rid of the ones I don't want? There seems to be no way to access my actual inventory "at base".

im out of traps and don't seem to have materials to make more. Usually some rare material I don't have.

Just stated playing yesterday. Just opened up The Collection.

Why can I slot some things into it and not others?

What good are schematics? I have a ton of them and can't seem to do anything with them except upgrade.

How do I use one to make a gun etc?

I have several actual weapons I can equip (on missions only why?) how do I get rid of the ones I don't want? There seems to be no way to access my actual inventory "at base".

im out of traps and don't seem to have materials to make more. Usually some rare material I don't have.

The collection book is for schematics you have duplicates of or don't want. Don't use the collection book until you're sure you don't want the schematic or person.

You craft weapons during the missions atm only. Your schematics will show up in the crafting menu. Later they'll be adding crafting from the base, but right now you cannot outside of a map/mission.

There are several uses for unwanted schematics. You can recycle, which gets XP of that type and refunds most XP you spent on it.

You can use it in transformations, which consumes the schematic, gives you XP refund (like recycle), and a random schematic of the transform category you selected. This also costs an additional resource (like people, rain drops, research points, manuals - depending on the transformation).

The last thing is the collection book. Once you slot into the collection book, they're permanently removed. You level up your collection book and you get some rewards. Some are good. Most are mediocre. I would put low priority on the collection book after you hit your first 500 v-buck reward. But I still generally slot into the book before recycling or transforming.

Traps shouldn't be that difficult to build. You can inspect the trap to see where individual crafting parts are found in their description.

For fuck sake just spawn a fire truck before I delete this crap. I've been into around 50 maps since getting this quest, found 5 but only 2 counted.

This is one of a few things that truly baffle me. This sort of thing encourages joining and leaving matches. There's the SSD which due to having no place to farm outside of matches encourages you not use mats in a match.

These are design errors I wouldn't have expected from Epic that make me a little let down. It should have been obvious in the design stage let alone after years of testing.

FeD.nL

First a game with someone having the Mythic soldier, now one with the Mythic Ninja. Did I miss a super Lllama or something?

Well damn... Seems like a lot of people are getting frustrated with the game. I haven't even reached Plankerton yet and I'm still enjoying it but I'm not playing for hours like I did the first 3 days.

First a game with someone having the Mythic soldier, now one with the Mythic Ninja. Did I miss a super Lllama or something?

I think I saw a mythic ninja too, cause the non mythic doesn't have access to the shadowstance.

Meanwhile I'm still using rare lol, which is okay for now but... want an upgrade.

Redshirt

Banned
Well damn... Seems like a lot of people are getting frustrated with the game. I haven't even reached Plankerton yet and I'm still enjoying it but I'm not playing for hours like I did the first 3 days.

The falloff on Twitch was crazy. Epic had many of the big looter shooter casters streaming Fortnite, and they just started disappearing as they hit Plankerton.

It's a shame. Really a missed opportunity.

DeaDPo0L84

Like someone mentioned yes you can but if you fail the overall mission it resets any progress you made, it's super frustrating and has halted any enjoyment I have from the game at the moment. This game has many elements that I like in a game but as my friend said last night after a few attempts and failing "let's just go play rocket league and wait for Destiny 2", so that's where we are now.

Plankerton is the new Blighttown.

I'm still having fun when I find a good group, but if you get people who won't help build or place traps, it's awful because unlike the first area you really need all 4.

Hard to get people for ssd too. Ssd 3 is going to be rough.

Anastasis

So I was base power 19 and it seemed like I got more XP on these power level 19 missions than I now do at 20 and 21.

Am I off or is this what the game is doing? If so, am I just to hang out at 19 for as long as possible until I have enough survivor XP to jump to whatever the next missions are? So weird!

AdamT

I'm at a small grind right now waiting to pickup water drops and getting the 40 nodes to get my ninja to 3rd star. Doesn't really bother me though because I'm still having a lot of fun running around farming mats and bringing it home to my base to expand and make traps. Haven't even done the 2nd stormshield defense yet and I already have a formidable defense of leveled traps and walls.

Top Bottom