• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

DeaDPo0L84

Got two siphons done and then we fail the main mission so progress resets, fuck it im officially done. This went from being my biggest surprise of the year to biggest disappointment of the year, fucks sake. And no its not just this one issue its other things as well but its too much now.

Shredderi

Got two siphons done and then we fail the main mission so progress resets, fuck it im officially done. This went from being my biggest surprise of the year to biggest disappointment of the year, fucks sake. And no its not just this one issue its other things as well but its too much now.

I expect more and more this going forward. I still haven't played with anyone who found that their enjoyment of the game has only grown the further they have gotten. Not saying they're not there, just that I haven't actually met one yet. It definitely is getting progressively worse for me the more I play. It's a shame because a few months back I used to look at this game and think it looks super fun and me and all my friends bought it, had a ton of fun in the beginning. Now there's only me and one other friend playing. Hell, even the one who was most hyped about it and got the 150e edition doesn't care anymore (she sold her extra standard editions for me and someone else for 10 bucks each).

LycanXIII

I never run out of gizmos. It's an easy resource to farm tbh. Just get them while playing the game normally. That said, if you die too often or do a lot of SSDs where you can't get them...

Are people doing expeditions enough? Medium crafting seems to get a couple. It really makes leveling up multiple heroes valuable over time. Leveling up heroes is easy too, and you get hero xp from SSDs. The bigger thing to collect is rain drops, because over time a lot of small amount of rain drops add up.

Have you posted a single criticism of the game yet?

darkwing

I guess it is to prevent people from leaving the mission if they already did other quests

See this is exactly the stuff I'm talking about and I could be wrong but as I've seen this happen multiple times before I'm guessing this stuff happened through design?

It's automatically splitting you up for the sake of it if you need to do the siphon and the others wanted to finish the mission asap. Or one guy could need mats for his SSD, or making weapons and traps, or searching for daily items. There's so many incentives to not work as a team stuff like this happens all too frequently.

Sure you get an AFK once in a while but almost all fails I get are from the game tasking people with all sorts of random crap and assuming they're the only one with something to do. It's not the player either the game shouldn't be pushing people away from the mission like this.

F34R

... and to think, I pre-ordered the most expensive version for PC. Luckily, I canceled it just a few hours before it went live.

Yeah the expeditions ramp up in requirements pretty fast. But once you have the heroes they're just free stuff continually. Each expedition might not be a lot but if you have 3-4 going on a daily basis, the stuff adds up.

People is not an expensive resource. I am not even sure what else you really need it for. Transformation keys don't seem to use people, they use raindrops or manuals it looks like.

Have you posted a single criticism of the game yet?

Personal attacks are not constructive.

Yeah Ive put like...a lot of time into this game and still only have 2 slots and most of my heroes are around 10 power except my top 2. My top hero is 46 power

You'll have to level them up. Once you get 3 slots and 3 lvl 10 heroes you have 63 power to throw into an expedition, and then some have class bonuses. It's also worth evolving, granted rain drops, while frankly not hard to farm, are in higher demand.

I haven't gotten that high in the expeditions yet. Like, i have the flight one unlocked and it's like 200 power... closest I can get is around 120 probably and that is on a vehicle with 3 slots.

Yeah the expeditions ramp up in requirements pretty fast. But once you have the heroes they're just free stuff continually. Each expedition might not be a lot but if you have 3-4 going on a daily basis, the stuff adds up.

People is not an expensive resource. I am not even sure what else you really need it for. Transformation keys don't seem to use people, they use raindrops or manuals it looks like.

Yeah it's just people for expeditions and raindrops plus manuals for transformation. Transformation itself is rather steep though. I have a legendary weapon key but it's going to cost me 5 epic weapons and I kind of feel like they'd be better served in the collection instead if I have them to burn like that.

Geneijin

Yeah it's just people for expeditions and raindrops plus manuals for transformation. Transformation itself is rather steep though. I have a legendary weapon key but it's going to cost me 5 epic weapons and I kind of feel like they'd be better served in the collection instead if I have them to burn like that.
Actually, you need people for survivor transformation. It's a lot of people (140) if you're trying to convert your grays into blues.

DeaDPo0L84

See this is exactly the stuff I'm talking about and I could be wrong but as I've seen this happen multiple times before I'm guessing this stuff happened through design?

It's automatically splitting you up for the sake of it if you need to do the siphon and the others wanted to finish the mission asap. Or one guy could need mats for his SSD, or making weapons and traps, or searching for daily items. There's so many incentives to not work as a team stuff like this happens all too frequently.

Sure you get an AFK once in a while but almost all fails I get are from the game tasking people with all sorts of random crap and assuming they're the only one with something to do. It's not the player either the game shouldn't be pushing people away from the mission like this.

That makes it even worse that unless I happen to find 3 people needing to do the exact same thing I immediately become an issue for the rest of the team wanting to only focus on the main objective. Why a MAIN story is contingent on completing a SIDE mission is crazy to me. This particular mission should have been designed to be a MAIN mission so that when I hit play it loads me into a game where this is the main objective, I feel like the game is actively kicking me in the dick for playing.

DeaDPo0L84

I expect more and more this going forward. I still haven't played with anyone who found that their enjoyment of the game has only grown the further they have gotten. Not saying they're not there, just that I haven't actually met one yet. It definitely is getting progressively worse for me the more I play. It's a shame because a few months back I used to look at this game and think it looks super fun and me and all my friends bought it, had a ton of fun in the beginning. Now there's only me and one other friend playing. Hell, even the one who was most hyped about it and got the 150e edition doesn't care anymore (she sold her extra standard editions for me and someone else for 10 bucks each).

It really is a shame, if you read my earlier post I was pretty high on it. Me and a friend saw that this was gonna be a huge time sink for us and initially we were okay with that cause everything felt fresh and it was fun learning new things. Basically the honeymoon period I guess cause now its just frustration after frustration in how the game cock blocks you across the board.

Shredderi

It really is a shame, if you read my earlier post I was pretty high on it. Me and a friend saw that this was gonna be a huge time sink for us and initially we were okay with that cause everything felt fresh and it was fun learning new things. Basically the honeymoon period I guess cause now its just frustration after frustration in how the game cock blocks you across the board.

Yep. It's like the devs were super worried that they're not cockblocking enough stuff. Wasn't this game announced like in 2011?

Redshirt

Banned
Does this game feel like a FTP?

Yes and no, I'd say.

The quality of the gunplay and core gameplay loops is very high and stands above most other FTP games. PoE is another game I'd put in this category.

But the FTP mechanisms are what's undermining the game. Although it's not pay-to-win, monetization will probably be the root cause if this game fails long-term.

E92 M3

Yes and no, I'd say.

The quality of the gunplay and core gameplay loops is very high and stands above most other FTP games. PoE is another game I'd put in this category.

But the FTP mechanisms are what's undermining the game. Although it's not pay-to-win, monetization will probably be the root cause if this game fails long-term.

Thanks, seems like it's not for me.

I saw all of the "editions" on the marketplace and it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Actually, you need people for survivor transformation. It's a lot of people (140) if you're trying to convert your grays into blues.

Ah my mistake, not used one of those yet.

That makes it even worse that unless I happen to find 3 people needing to do the exact same thing I immediately become an issue for the rest of the team wanting to only focus on the main objective. Why a MAIN story is contingent on completing a SIDE mission is crazy to me. This particular mission should have been designed to be a MAIN mission so that when I hit play it loads me into a game where this is the main objective, I feel like the game is actively kicking me in the dick for playing.

Bingo, but it's not on you either. It's the strangest feeling when that happens since you know you're making it harder on the team but what can you do? The game is the one encouraging it. At the least it's taught me a bit about balancing mission and side mission design in a multiplayer title.

I have a hard time believing people can make meaningful progress in this game without paying. The fact that practically all loot is tied to a premium currency when you have no way to earn a meaningful amount each day (you get 50 from doing your daily and that's pretty much it) kills the entire thing.

Also many of the systems are built around abusing this bullshit. How does separating lead survivors and survivors help anything? What does weapon durability add other than another level of grinding to the game?

I think this is the first F2P game where I've been disappointed by how well it plays and how scummy the F2P elements are. There's no reason this couldn't have used a similar model to Dota2 or PoE.

Anastasis

Had a blast two days ago. Finished Plakton Shield Defense 2 with the help of a gaffer through our discord. When finished, they asked if that was it - felt bad for having them log on for one mission so decided to do Stonewood Shield Defense 7. We were not prepared. Cheap wood structures everywhere. It was chaotic and we were running out of bullets, husks busted down our last line of defense, they were at the storm shield, I built a wall just as my teammate retreated in. I thought I made a door, but didn't. Didn't matter, the husks broke down the panel next to it. Somehow we made it and it was amazing fun.

That opened up power level 23 missions starting with the protect the shelter mission. Failed it 3 times in a row with randoms through matchmaking. I know the robot lady is telling me stuff, but I still have little to no idea what is going on in that mission.

From such a high to such a low. So weird.

Tei

Neo Member
Had a blast two days ago. Finished Plakton Shield Defense 2 with the help of a gaffer through our discord. When finished, they asked if that was it - felt bad for having them log on for one mission so decided to do Stonewood Shield Defense 7. We were not prepared. Cheap wood structures everywhere. It was chaotic and we were running out of bullets, husks busted down our last line of defense, they were at the storm shield, I built a wall just as my teammate retreated in. I thought I made a door, but didn't. Didn't matter, the husks broke down the panel next to it. Somehow we made it and it was amazing fun.

That opened up power level 23 missions starting with the protect the shelter mission. Failed it 3 times in a row with randoms through matchmaking. I know the robot lady is telling me stuff, but I still have little to no idea what is going on in that mission.

From such a high to such a low. So weird.

First Shelter mission:
- Do not activate. It start the countdown. But build a base around it.
- Activate. You get like 5 min before the first attack to find some "hidden" diamonds with loot. Are translucent, and actually easy to see if you are near one.
- If people want to, you can defend a robot so he mark the remaining diamonds in the map. Unnecessary if people is good at scouting. Maybe a good idea if the terrain is fractured or a deep forest/city.
- After these 5 min, you go back and defend. I think the attack last 2 min.
- Go back to scout for more diamonds.
- Once you have all the diamonds, theres a big attack.

Is actually a quite easy mission. You have to alternate from defend the fort, to scout for diamonds.

Anastasis

First Shelter mission:
- Do not activate. It start the countdown. But build a base around it.
- Activate. You get like 5 min before the first attack to find some "hidden" diamonds with loot. Are translucent, and actually easy to see if you are near one.
- If people want to, you can defend a robot so he mark the remaining diamonds in the map. Unnecessary if people is good at scouting. Maybe a good idea if the terrain is fractured or a deep forest/city.
- After these 5 min, you go back and defend. I think the attack last 2 min.
- Go back to scout for more diamonds.
- Once you have all the diamonds, theres a big attack.

Is actually a quite easy mission. You have to alternate from defend the fort, to scout for diamonds.

Thanks!

I guess I'll need to be more chatty with randoms. Probably we were mostly first timers and had no idea. I think I was soloing the first wave the last time and maybe I was scouting too long one of the attempts as well. Maybe Ray should say "everyone get back to the shelter NOW!" It seems like that is the first mission that actually requires some coordination.

Does this game feel like a FTP?

Sure, it sorta does mostly because of the pinatas. Paying only really makes you progress in power level though. And at power level 25-26 I often out damage power levels 10-15 higher than me or at least equal them.

I'd recommend waiting til the game actually goes f2p. Hopefully they'll have another event then like the founders event going on now.

I have a hard time believing people can make meaningful progress in this game without paying. The fact that practically all loot is tied to a premium currency when you have no way to earn a meaningful amount each day (you get 50 from doing your daily and that's pretty much it) kills the entire thing.

Also many of the systems are built around abusing this bullshit. How does separating lead survivors and survivors help anything? What does weapon durability add other than another level of grinding to the game?

I think this is the first F2P game where I've been disappointed by how well it plays and how scummy the F2P elements are. There's no reason this couldn't have used a similar model to Dota2 or PoE.

I think I'm done with the game. Didn't boot it up today; once I realised that to upgrade a hero to another star level = research point wait time + grind for items + get some sort of training manual (all up = grind).

I did look at the game then and go "I'm done".

I might revisit this thread in a couple of months and see where the F2p shit is at. Shouldn't have spent moeny on this.

Somehow forgot that I'd not done one of the Stonewood SSD's and got the last coins required to get the legendary pack. I think I actually got good stuff, a Siegebreaker which I think I found one of before in a match, assault rifle that uses small bullets so handy to have. Also got a triple tap sniper. Nice to have some legendaries now I guess but they do need to adjust the grind. That was like the one thing I was looking forward to and now I've got them it's not exactly improved the appeal of the grind much. It has actually alleviated it a little though because lo and behold, it turns out not all weapons use gizmos! Maybe now I can finally have a gun again.

No Legendary heroes at all either and not a single Mythic.

FeD.nL

Hahaha, I'm so sorry man, but I bust out laughing at this, OF COURSE you get the damn dupe, you get so pissed off that its just funny from there on out.

And I was really like, nah that's not gonna happen to me. Hopefully I get the BttF 2 Marty Mcfly outlander. And bam ah well.

I don't think there are 40 legendary heroes. But yeah that sucks.

Also, I am looking forward to getting it, I can't get a dupe :D

I did count the 4 mythics in that number (10 heroes per class in the collection book) because I read somewhere that someone got a swordmaster from one of those transform keys.

Ah well hopefully you balance my bad luck out with your pull.

edgefusion

Tried Storm Shield Defence 9 just me and a buddy and got absolutely wrecked. It's so intense seeing so many zombies flooding in and wrecking my fort up. Got some major repair work to do before I try that again!

edgefusion

can that be increase?, as im at my 55 limit and i cant see anything thats 'junk' to get shot of??

There are +5 upgrades in both the research trees and skill point trees. I just got to Plankerton 1 and have 80 slots, so it won't be long before you're struggling a bit less with it.

Lettuce

There are +5 upgrades in both the research trees and skill point trees. I just got to Plankerton 1 and have 80 slots, so it won't be long before you're struggling a bit less with it.

Cool thanks.

On another note is there a way to upgrade an existing structure to a better materiel without knocking it down and rebuilding?

Redshirt

Banned
Cool thanks.

On another note is there a way to upgrade an existing structure to a better materiel without knocking it down and rebuilding?

No, not yet. You can upgrade the tier, but changing the material requires you knocking it down first.

Ok. I like this game a lot. I'm going to keep playing. But it's impossible for me to ignore it would be so much better as a full priced loot game that doled out meaningful loot like diablo 3. The zillions of ftp systems continually detract from the awesomeness.

R0ckman

If anyone follows reddit, I was debating typing up detailed issues I have with the game and carefully thought out solutions but as I noticed reddit become more negative and disgrunttled about the game I've noticed the epic guys have commented less and less? Maybe I'm imagining things, just dont to waste my time if that place turns into a wasteland.

If anyone follows reddit, I was debating typing up detailed issues I have with the game and carefully thought out solutions but as I noticed reddit become more negative and disgrunttled about the game I've noticed the epic guys have commented less and less? Maybe I'm imagining things, just dont to waste my time if that place turns into a wasteland.

Use the ingame feedback system. I think they said that is the most reliable way to give feedback.

Tecnniqe

Banned

At least those in-game helps out with SSD :D

Top Bottom