• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

If anyone follows reddit, I was debating typing up detailed issues I have with the game and carefully thought out solutions but as I noticed reddit become more negative and disgrunttled about the game I've noticed the epic guys have commented less and less? Maybe I'm imagining things, just dont to waste my time if that place turns into a wasteland.
Honestly fuck that subreddit. Every post in there is some guy that thinks they can fix a game by writing 5 paragraphs saying the same shit that the same post before it did.

Honestly fuck that subreddit. Every post in there is some guy that thinks they can fix a game by writing 5 paragraphs saying the same shit that the same post before it did.

Completely disagree. The Sub Reddit has honestly been pretty on point with complaints for the most part and these are real issues in the game. If they don't get raked over the coals the game will stay this way and die within weeks as F2P. Look at how fast the streamers ran when the grind started for example.

R0ckman

Completely disagree. The Sub Reddit has honestly been pretty on point with complaints for the most part and these are real issues in the game. If they don't get raked over the coals the game will stay this way and die within weeks as F2P. Look at how fast the streamers ran when the grind started for example.

Oh wow, didn't notice this with the streamers, they just stopped making content? They need to address things fast.

I've been lucky with gold llamas but its one thing after another, the fact that you rely on llamas too much, and the fact that gold llamas tend to not be valuable because they are eaten by survivors being too heavily weighed against everything else.

There is somply too much that can drop from llamas.

Oh wow, didn't notice this with the streamers, they just stopped making content? They need to address things fast.

I've been lucky with gold llamas but its one thing after another, the fact that you rely on llamas too much, and the fact that gold llamas tend to not be valuable because they are eaten by survivors being too heavily weighed against everything else.

There is somply too much that can drop from llamas.

Yeah the game actually had quite a strong start from streamers. Once people started hitting Plankerton though the numbers started falling really fast. If the balance was a bit different even just for that second area then the reception could have been completely different. Alas the game slows to a crawl too fast unfortunately.

Why nerf it then?

It has nothing to do with pinatas, nuts and bolts are a common crafting resource you can't even get from pinatas. They just nerfed one of the many ways to get nuts and bolts, and frankly I feel like that method was a bit overrated based on my personal experience using the method. I think running around in an industrial or city zone, doing a mission that gets you progress, gets you as much bolts anyway.

TVexperto

I regret spending 40 bucks on this shitshow of a game. the devs only care about the money and I cant believe I fell into this microtransaction mobile like game trap.

Guys, I just bought a physical copy of this game and redeemed a deluxe edition codes.
So, is it possible to play the game without a physical copy by downloading the game data from PS Store?
I heard that there're a free data of this game that can be download from PS Store right? But it won't be able to play with add-on.

Geneijin

Guys, I just bought a physical copy of this game and redeemed a deluxe edition codes.
So, is it possible to play the game without a physical copy by downloading the game data from PS Store?
I heard that there're a free data of this game that can be download from PS Store right? But it won't be able to play with add-on.
Try creating an Epic Games account and linking your PlayStation Network account to it. It worked for me that way, but I had a PC code.

Redshirt

Banned
Why nerf it then?

I think they don't want you to have the sense of endless ammo and traps, which I get.

And ammo is pretty easy to keep up with. I'm at the cap most of the time.

Nuts & bolts are a pain in the ass when making traps for your storm shield base, though.

R0ckman

I think they don't want you to have the sense of endless ammo and traps, which I get.

And ammo is pretty easy to keep up with. I'm at the cap most of the time.

Nuts & bolts are a pain in the ass when making traps for your storm shield base, though.

Actually I dont think thats the case, the game is suffering mechanically because of resource strain, they made it worse but they were responding to another issue where people would start the repair shelter missions with no defense set up and just farm for bolts and bail screwing other players over.

darkwing

Actually I dont think thats the case, the game is suffering mechanically because of resource strain, they made it worse but they were responding to another issue where people would start the repair shelter missions with no defense set up and just farm for bolts and bail screwing other players over.

ouch, so that is what is happening, encountered something like that, was yelling for help, no one came

I bought a key from someone for 20 and I also regret my purchase. This video summed up what exactly I hate about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUHc9q0KSUg

I should have just bought Playerunknown's Battleground instead.

Wow, that video is so fucking misleading.

1. video claims you can only get XP from recycling schematics

2. video claims you must match every survivor

3. claims because you can't repair weapons, you must grind OR pay pinatas (pinatas have no crafting materials). Setting aside the fact that you building a new weapon or repairing would be functionally the same cost, crafting a new weapon is easy. And then there is the fact that you can't buy crafting materials.

Lots of other things. Too many to track.

The game has issues, but this video is the type of youtube bullshit I really don't like. Overexaggerations meant to sensationalize their opinion.

Redshirt

Banned

Good point about the Repair the Shelter mission. I've been lucky in that regard.

He's not wrong about the grind, the skill tree being wayyyy too large, and the issues with pinatas.

He is wrong about the pinatas. In part because a lot of his facts are simply wrong. There are some issues surrounding the pinatas and a few things I don't like about the pinatas.

I have no problem with the skill tree. I love the fact that it's huge. I don't mind that I don't get some new bigger thing every unlock. Gated progression is not necessarily a bad thing imo. And this game is not really that gated imo. Yes you have to play a lot. I knew that ahead of time and that is what I signed up for.

The issues I have with schematics/survivors is there need to be more repeatable opportunities to get them outside of the pinatas. Right now you can transform, timed missions, quest progression, challenges, and expeditions.

The problem with transforms is you can only go up to rare by default. So this quickly becomes useless once you get strong epics from pinatas (I have so many epics and I haven't dropped a dime on vbucks and i only bought standard edition). I still want more epics/legendary stuff though, so I want to transform things but epic/legendary transform keys (which can allow you to transform into legendary or epics are very rare). I've only gotten 3 legendary transform keys you get from quest progression. I have not seen any epics from timed missions (maybe they're in canny?).

They could fix some of the issues by having more transform keys achieveable via timed missions. They could also add more repeatable challenges and as I suggested earlier in the thread they should have repeatable daily challenges.

I'd love to see a video with an accurate accounting of the issues the game has, and solutions to those problems that actually fit the game design.

He is wrong about the pinatas. In part because a lot of his facts are simply wrong. There are some issues surrounding the pinatas and a few things I don't like about the pinatas.

I have no problem with the skill tree. I love the fact that it's huge. I don't mind that I don't get some new bigger thing every unlock. Gated progression is not necessarily a bad thing imo. And this game is not really that gated imo. Yes you have to play a lot. I knew that ahead of time and that is what I signed up for.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that you enjoy the game despite other people's gripes with it. Maybe you have the time to play a ton to grind out that skill tree, I don't, and that's an issue for me. If you enjoy it, all the power to you, but I stand by the guys core statement. The core mechanics are fun and enjoyable, but it is an incredibly grindy and convoluted mess that's made even worse with terrible F2P practices. This isn't a rare opinion either.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that you enjoy the game despite other people's gripes with it. Maybe you have the time to play a ton to grind out that skill tree, I don't, and that's an issue for me. If you enjoy it, all the power to you, but I stand by the guys core statement. The core mechanics are fun and enjoyable, but it is an incredibly grindy and convoluted mess that's made even worse with terrible F2P practices. This isn't a rare opinion either.

Thank you for telling me what is a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

That aside, I disagree with his core statements because they're built on a pile of misinformation. His entire thing would lead anyone not informed to believe that you have to pay to progress or get anything good because according to him everything you loot is shit and worthless. And he basically says anything that every negative of the game he is talking about can be alleviated by buying pinatas, which is complete bullshit as you cannot get a lot of things from pinatas.

To be fair a lot that stuff in the video is just wrong and I'll happily point out countless problems in the game. Opinion of course but the skill tree is not an issue in the slightest. There are much bigger problems if anything but the skill tree is just a matter of a game that expects you to play a lot as it will be F2P. That's fine.

Mobius is right here in that a lot of the complaints are completely misguided. Many of the things he's claiming you can buy your way to you just can't. Money will buy you a handful of schematics and survivors but you still need the XP to level them to actually gain from them. Llama's do not pay that out in significant amounts unless you want to just buy no end of them and melt everything for XP without ever playing.

So the repair the shelter nuts n bolts got fixed/nerfed. From 75 > 9 per container.
I got 75 out of the first cache I opened last night (after the patch, unaware that anything had changed) but got 9 out of the remaining caches. I even made a comment to Puma that this was great way to farm the nuts and bolts.

Redshirt

Banned
Hah. 99 nuts and bolts as a timed reward on one of the Stonewood missions.

Never seen n&b as a reward before. Wonder if Epic did that intentionally.

Redshirt

Banned
That's cool!

Were't they talking about this in some update post? I think they said founder's coins would be going away in light of this event. "Fight the Storm" coins, perhaps?

Yeah. It was mentioned on Reddit. I wonder what will happen to our extra coins.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I'm burning my 3 main resources at an alarming rate

Now I can create Wood, Brick, Steel at tier level 3!

Create Tier one, let it build, then feed it more to make it go Tier 2 then Tier 3...

Goddamn just farming those and running back to base and overdoing everything to my Storm Shield Defense!

Make my SSD Super Strong!

Anastasis

Well I'm burning my 3 main resources at an alarming rate

Now I can create Wood, Brick, Steel at tier level 3!

Create Tier one, let it build, then feed it more to make it go Tier 2 then Tier 3...

Goddamn just farming those and running back to base and overdoing everything to my Storm Shield Defense!

Make my SSD Super Strong!

That made me think of something they could implement: have any resource over 999 go directly to the storm shield for overflow. They do that for those squad missions already, why not the normal game?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Ah, that's the first time I've seen one. Speaking of first times there's an evacuate the shelter mission right now with a 20 coin payout in the 40 zone in Plankerton. That's new right?

Seen some of those before too :D

Think it was 10 in the first zone.

Plank seems to have a +10 V modifier to its things.

Redshirt

Banned
shield defense 10 don't fuck around, and this is from a dungeon defenders veteran

giphy.gif

R0ckman

Holy hell people are just sucking in the server mission. I entered one that was almost done and people just started ignoring the husk that were pounding on the walls

Tei

Neo Member
Holy hell people are just sucking in the server mission. I entered one that was almost done and people just started ignoring the husk that were pounding on the walls

I just completed this one with a good team.

We ignored all servers but the alpha one. Made the standard iron pyramid on it. Then walls with windows, then a ring with a corridor with traps, another ring of wall with windows (stone),then another ring of traps, and another ring of wall with windows. They managed to broke trough all the rings but we succeded because they where stopped in the interior wall and mid floor wall.

I am not a fan of walls with windows, but for this mission theres too much shit happening at the same time.

I just want to be able to at least rename my base :(

Accidental named it just "S" as i had my buttons flipped (on PS4, i swap L1/L2 R1/R2 via System level). Bothers me to no end.... hell I'd like thw option to just reroll a character, period

Lucifon

Got a spare copy of this for Xbox One if anyone is interested in jumping in. Drop me a pm and we can work out some kind of deal!

FeD.nL

Dev Update #2 - Fortnite in the near future!

Quick summary:

1. They want feedback
2. They are working hard on stability patches
3. Survival mode is coming, event for 14 days
4. They want feedback on that
5. There are great rewards involved with survival mode, during the day you're gonna scavenge for stuff and during the night you're gonna defend against the storm.
6. Players are gonna be able to built pretty big forts.
7. Keep using the feedback button.

Top Bottom