• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 · Review Thread

Why are people concentrating on the one average review (since when is a '7' average anyway?) when there are about 30 very good to great reviews posted in the op?

Because all the "8.5 and over" reviews basically say "THIS GAME IS PRETTY GOOD" which is something not really interesting to read; on the other hand, reading why someone would give it a lower-than-average score is something of note, because they may have some valid complaints.

Speaking on Twitter with Gies, he feels there's a lack of progression in the championships due to every car being able to race immediately, instead "start with slower cars and short races and unlock longer, higher-class events" like in Horizon 1; a criticism that some of the more positive reviews may not present.

hawk2025

edited:

Titanfall is at 86, and Velocity 2X is also at 86. FH2 could easily end up at 86 or 87 though.

Towerfall is also at 87, Super Mario 3D World is at 93, Mario Kart 8, Shovel knight, and Pikmin 3 are all above 87.

These averages are all so close (with the exception of SM3DW) that they are statistically the same, though. It's a pointless distinction to make given the standard error of the averages.

stew

Polygon is hilarious. They were so wrong with Forza Horizon (original), and then have to stick with the lower score for FH2 because they can't admit when they are shills.
I think the same.

I'm happy about the reviews, they're very postive like we expected after playing the demo.

Towerfall is also at 87, Super Mario 3D World is at 93, Mario Kart 8, Shovel knight, and Pikmin 3 are all above 87.

These averages are all so close (with the exception of SM3DW) that they are statistically the same, though. It's a pointless distinction to make given the standard error of the averages.

I concur. SM3DW and Pikmin were out last year though (the guy was asking for 2014 games), and Towerfall I believe is an updated version of an older game, though I'm not sure how closely related it is.

keit4

Banned

SM3DW and Towerfall are 2013 games, and when i said nextgen platforms i was referring to PS4 and Xbone (i don't want to hurt feelings with this, i love my WiiU).

Docked 3 pts from the overall score because this guy didn't get invited back:

tumblr_inline_mpme5eEIHX1qz4rgp.gif

hawk2025

SM3DW and Towerfall are 2013 games, and when i said nextgen platforms i was referring to PS4 and Xbone (i don't want to hurt feelings with this, i love my WiiU).

Well, that's a fuckton of restrictions. You might as well add another one and say Velocity doesn't count because it also came out on the Vita :p

Anyways, Forza!

keit4

Banned
Well, that's a fuckton of restrictions. You might as well add another one and say Velocity doesn't count because it also came out on the Vita :p

Anyways, Forza!

lol, I should have asked for "the highest reviewed game for PS4 and Xbox One". I already knew MK8 has a higher metascore (is my GOTY so far).

Anyways, i'm very glad to see the positive reactions from the press and the players, the first Forza Horizon was my favourite racer last gen but i think it never got the praise it deserves.

Newsflash, Wii U is indeed a next gen console :p

In terms of fun is a next next gen console.

CentroXer

Banned
jesus I dont understand why people get upset over other peoples opinion? So what if Polygon gave it a 7? A different perspective is refreshing. Imagine if every review score had to be exactly the SAME. What was the point of reviews then? I am glad that some journalists are not afraid of being harsher than others. I think gamespot back in the early 2000 are a good example of this since they used to score games quite harsh. I remember when Greg Kasavin gave Resident Evil 4 a 9.6 and everyone went wow this game must be real good! (and it was)

nynt9

Is this the highest reviewed original game (based on metacritic) on nextgen platforms this year?

Among other titles others have stated, Resogun Heroes is 86 and I don't know if it counts by your criteria but Towerfall Ascension is 87.

Peterpan

Polygon is hilarious. They were so wrong with Forza Horizon (original), and then have to stick with the lower score for FH2 because they can't admit when they are shills.
Confused? What are you saying are they shills for Microsoft so they try to cover it up with docking points from Horizon or are they shills for something else?

oti

Banned
I don't know what it is about the Horizon franchise but the developers just "get it". This series has got soul.
I'll buy this game first thing after I get the XBO at some point (hopefully).

polygon has a review of nfs rivals, a similar but inferior in many ways game, and their marks on it are ...8.5
there is simply no consistency.
you can say whatever you like, you can think whatever you want, doesnt change a single thing about what we said here.
and its not about whether it matters or not (it doesnt). its about calling something when you see it. that's its worth. nothing more.

NFS Rivals was reviewed by a different person though.

Here is what needs to always be stated with Polygon reviews. The reviewer plays the game and writes the text for the review, then they sit down with a small group of editors and other staff, including Reviews Editor Arthur Gies, and they collaboratively assess a score based on the written text.

So even though Gies didn't write the NFS review, he was a part of the group/staff that assigned the score...

Always keep that in mind when trying to compare Polygon review scores....The actual number given in a review is a collaborative process, based on the written text.....It should, on paper, give their review scores more consistency, but that's obviously not always the case.....

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Here is what needs to always be stated with Polygon reviews. The reviewer plays the game and writes the text for the review, then they sit down with a small group of editors and other staff, including Reviews Editor Arthur Gies, and they collaboratively assess a score based on the written text.

So even though Gies didn't write the NFS review, he was a part of the group/staff that assigned the score...

Always keep that in mind when trying to compare Polygon review scores....The actual number given in a review is a collaborative process, based on the written text.....It should, on paper, give their review scores more consistency, but that's obviously not always the case.....

Holy shit, is this real? Sounds like an absolutely awful way of assigning scores, it means it could miss what the person who actually played the game wanted to score it.

Is there a reason Gameinformer removed their review for this? I've been trying to pull it up all day and it's still nowhere to be found. Seriously, what the fuck?

Holy shit, is this real? Sounds like an absolutely awful way of assigning scores, it means it could miss what the person who actually played the game wanted to score it.

Only if their writing was poor. If they wanted to score the game a 9 but their text did not at all reflect that then they would need to rework their review.

As a former editor I would always question my writers when their score did not reflect the text - and would try to find out which was wrong and get them to rectify it - encouraging them to adjust their text or the score until both was a reflection of their opinion.

The editor's role is very important in this context. However I disagree with the idea of editorial control over the score for the sake of it. Merely it should be that the editor tries to get the best out of the reviewer and helps them achieve that needed consistency.

I've always believed in an ideal world a score is unnecessary and intelligent well written reviews for discerning readers do not require them. Where I've had the power to do so in some jobs we have provided review (of either games, movies, or whatever) without a score. It encourages reading of the review and better dialogue on its content.

derFeef

No Gamespot review so far? I know they always take a little longer, but review copies have gone out earlier for this.

RAIDEN1

Any news on the 360 version? I know it doesn't have the weather effects and as many cars as the the Xbox 1 version, or the "avatar" feature..

ALAN ULTIMATE

Neo Member
Sumo Digital still haven't said a word about the 360 version to date other than what we already know!

• No open wheel cars!
  • No Drivatars!
  • No dynamic weather effects!
  • No!
  • No!
  • No!

watership

No Gamespot review so far? I know they always take a little longer, but review copies have gone out earlier for this.

Xbox games reviews are not prioritized on gamespot lately. Might have to do with publishers only sending out PS4 copies this Gen, but Gamespot used to review all versions of a game when released. They already have their Shadow of Mordor review up, and its for the PS4 version. Same goes for Minecraft and Fifa. Not sure why they stopped reviewing all versions of games, cutbacks? Regardless some sites haven't reviewed FH2 yet. No clue why.

Brakara

No idea, but that doesn't sound sustainable. Hope they're not in too deep trouble since I really like The Point and Reality Check.

No idea, but that doesn't sound sustainable. Hope they're not in too deep trouble since I really like The Point and Reality Check.

They are transitioning to a more Giantbomb model, video content heavy and less written pieces. The only editorial writers left are Kevin VanOrd and Shaun Mcinnis.

The Gies-fixation here is really weird.
So a guy we know and most guys on here aren't exactly fans of gave it only an "ok" score with somewhat irrational reasoning.
Same guy loved Forza 5, praised the crashing Drivatars, liked the slow credit earnings and was mostly ok with microtransactions.... nobody complained about his 9/10 for Forza 5 back then or did anyone here??

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and want to believe that he whole heartedly loved Forza 5 while not getting the same connection to Horizon 2 and gave it a 2 point lower score even though he couldn't quite put his finger on why in his review.

One last thing: I wish all reviewers of sim-cade'ish racers would try games with both, a controller AND a wheel, and give us differentiating opinions on car handling, feel, difficulty etc. It's a way more game-transforming factor than whether a game is being played on xbox or playstation - a thing most reviewers have time and writing space for.

So a guy we know and most guys on here aren't exactly fans of gave it only an "ok" score with somewhat irrational reasoning.
Same guy loved Forza 5, praised the crashing Drivatars, liked the slow credit earnings and was mostly ok with microtransactions.... nobody complained about his 9/10 for Forza 5 back then or did anyone here??

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and want to believe that he whole heartedly loved Forza 5 while not getting the same connection to Horizon 2 and gave it a 2 point lower score even though he couldn't quite put his finger on why in his review.

One last thing: I wish all reviewers of sim-cade'ish racers would try games with both, a controller AND a wheel, and give us differentiating opinions on car handling, feel, difficulty etc. It's a way more game-transforming factor than whether a game is being played on xbox or playstation - a thing most reviewers have time and writing space for.

You're fixating just as much if you feel the need to write a post defending the guy.

jesu

Seeing as how you mentioned it I went and read his F5 review.
He doesn't really praise the drivatars, says they just show that his friends drive like assholes.
He also doesn't mention the slow credit earnings or the microtransactions.

Top Bottom